Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Read a few things lately ( and a post above ) of running events that are starting to happen again.

Is there a definitive list of events going ahead in Sussex that are not canned due to covid ?

Not heard from park run but assume that is still way off

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Brighton was going to be my target Spring marathon. :down: I don't think I'll make it in Sept. as I'll hopefully be in the final weeks of prep for London on Oct. 3rd, but who knows what next year will bring in terms of mass participation races.

Same here, but I’ve got Berlin in September so will probably now have to drop out of Brighton (or maybe just run the first half of it as a training run ...)

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Read a few things lately ( and a post above ) of running events that are starting to happen again.

Is there a definitive list of events going ahead in Sussex that are not canned due to covid ?

Run Through seem to be cracking on with their events with Covid safety measures in place. A few in the south area but I'm not sure if they have an event lined up in Sussex though.

https://www.runthrough.co.uk/

I don't think parkrun have an updated timeline. I really feel for them.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Same here, but I’ve got Berlin in September so will probably now have to drop out of Brighton (or maybe just run the first half of it as a training run ...)

That's a decent shout. A nice specific tune up long run in race conditions. The thought of stepping off the road doesn't feel appealing though. I had to do that at the Brighton Half back when I was starting out on the running adventure and this one DNF still hurts.

I'd love to do Berlin one day.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

SDW50 is going ahead this weekend, Worthing to Eastbourne (would be doing it if it wasn't for my dodgy foot). 8.30am start at Worthing College - think there is something like 400 runners. Centurion have got some recent trail races away without any trouble by using rolling starts and having clear A/S protocols - easier of course when the field is small and gets stretched out very quickly (winner on Sunday likely to be around 6-6.30hrs, cut-off is 13 hrs I think)

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hi all, I'm on the look out for some trail shoes as we head in to winter. I mainly run on roads but have started finding a few grassier routes around town so thought I might invest. Any recommendations before I hit google would be appreciated.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Hi all, I'm on the look out for some trail shoes as we head in to winter. I mainly run on roads but have started finding a few grassier routes around town so thought I might invest. Any recommendations before I hit google would be appreciated.

I was in the same boat as you a couple of weeks ago, went for these: https://www.sportsshoes.com/product...MIgPqypJWg7AIVVU4bCh23rQrnEAEYASABEgJ9qPD_BwE

I run in wave riders so made sense for me to move to the trail version. Really like them.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Blimey had to search for this thread it had dropped so far down......everyone alright ?? Anyone do the modified Beachy event yesterday ? Looked a lovely day for it.

Anyway, actually tried a 5k yesterday for the first time in several months....pretty average 21.48 and AG 68.35 but will take it in non-race conditions and after a mixed (bit lax) period of training over the last 6 months with no events. Was going reasonably OK until the dreaded dry-retch kicked in with about 1km to go. Not sure if the table is till going [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] but there you go anyway :shrug:

I saw that on Strava – good effort. Not done any really fast stuff for a while, but might give it another crack to get lower 21s (sub-21 is still a bit of a dream, I think).

I'm still going, still keeping the streak going, but could do with a goal or a change of surroundings to keep things fresher. Lunar-Tic route was pretty muddy the other weekend and, with more rain due this week, it'll only get worse (or better, depending on how much you like mud). Might have a plod around there at the weekend.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Hiya all, haven’t posted on this thread for ages.. but kept an eye on it.. so I hope you don’t mind me posting this.

Just a quick note to say thank you to Rob G and Knocky for your kind words on Strava recently regarding my rehab/Kneehab. I won’t get into the injury or whatever as I can bore you to death about it!. But I just have say that running really builds a special kind of resilience when things get down. Oh and if you get an injury, niggles, lumps etc, to go and get it professionally looked Immediately and ask plenty of questions

Anyways happy running everyone through these tough/weird times. Stu.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Hiya all, haven’t posted on this thread for ages.. but kept an eye on it.. so I hope you don’t mind me posting this.

Just a quick note to say thank you to Rob G and Knocky for your kind words on Strava recently regarding my rehab/Kneehab. I won’t get into the injury or whatever as I can bore you to death about it!. But I just have say that running really builds a special kind of resilience when things get down. Oh and if you get an injury, niggles, lumps etc, to go and get it professionally looked Immediately and ask plenty of questions

Post of the week. Massive kudos and wishing you all the very best with the rehab Stu :thumbsup:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Hey good to hear from you and I hope the rehab is going well.

Speaking of old faces, it was also nice to see [MENTION=4949]7:18[/MENTION] on Saturday for the first time in an age!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good to hear from you fella [emoji106][emoji106]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Wise words and all the best for a full recovery...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Tough sh*t for you. Keep at it and good luck from one Stu to another.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Feel free to bore - that's at least partly what this is for, at least as I understand it. May your injuries be an ever-distancing issue :)

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Afternoon all , not been on NSC for a long time. Still doing lots of running and actually managed an official race a couple of weeks ago, the Lake Dorney marathon. The weather on the 4th October was not great and the marathon was 4 laps around Lake Dorney, it was tough as a nasty crosswind along the long sides of the lake. It was organised brilliantly with different start times allocated and then each time split into waves, so the 600 runners kept well apart. Nice wide paths so instructions to run on the left and overtake on the right well observed. My marathon PB was 4.13.22 at Brighton last year and I am still targeting sub 4. Felt good at halfway and was on course as did that in roughly 1.57, but then the wind and driving rain started to take its toll. Ended up finishing in 4.06.18 so delighted with a 7.04 PB. It was a strange day as no spectators allowed, just the brilliant marshalls cheering you on! Also at the end you collected a medal, drinks and food bars from a table! Overall it was brilliant to be back at an official race. Next up is the Beachy Head marathon on Saturday. I hope all are keeping well.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Thanks guys and girls! Thanks for your kind words.. I think I took a bit of a wobble the kinda of 17/18 mile wobble when you see another hill and think why the f**k am I doing this.. rehab can be a very lonely place at times esp when your body ain’t doing what you want it to. But hey, back on it!! Oh and good luck for anyone doing Beachy.. and try and beat the Bagpiper for me!!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thanks guys and girls! Thanks for your kind words.. I think I took a bit of a wobble the kinda of 17/18 mile wobble when you see another hill and think why the f**k am I doing this.. rehab can be a very lonely place at times esp when your body ain’t doing what you want it to. But hey, back on it!! Oh and good luck for anyone doing Beachy.. and try and beat the Bagpiper for me!!

Hope you've turned the corner. Still remember having a chat while were watching the nutters do that multi-storey car park marathon in Worthing!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here