Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Where have all the runners gone???

I need some expert advice on my running shoes, are the wear areas right on my trainers???

I am just looking to fine-tune and stay injury-free,if possible!

As you can see right foot a bit different to the left foot, is that normal?

View attachment 129445

Still here...ticking over with no long distance stuff as foot still niggly........with no events lined up not a lot to say at the moment !

That wear looks positively even - way less irregular than many I suspect. best thing to do is take them with you to a decent shop and they'll advise - having worn shoes with you helps them a lot.

D

Deleted member 2719

Still here...ticking over with no long distance stuff as foot still niggly........with no events lined up not a lot to say at the moment !

That wear looks positively even - way less irregular than many I suspect. best thing to do is take them with you to a decent shop and they'll advise - having worn shoes with you helps them a lot.

I thought a few would be talking about training or something?

I hope your niggly foot is not connected to a niggly ankle???

My trainers have worn a bit more on the right foot, which tends to be pointing towards ten past when in a casual stance, as that knee is minus an ACL.

I do have a little contact on the outside of the heels, I am not sure what that's is about???

I have just bought some more of the same Asics Road Hawk FF2, as I quite liked them and got them for £46.00!

Perhaps I will go to the shops next summer and get an analysis if the shops are still there.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Where have all the runners gone???

I need some expert advice on my running shoes, are the wear areas right on my trainers???

I am just looking to fine-tune and stay injury-free,if possible!

As you can see right foot a bit different to the left foot, is that normal?

View attachment 129445

I'm not an expert, apart from on my own feet which also wear the soles differently, so I'd say that yes that is normal.

:cool:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Also on the soles have a look at how the outside/inside heel and outside/inside toe are wearing, ie has the thin coloured layer worn down to the thicker white layer (colours may be different). The type of wear will indicate if you need support and just as importantly if it’s time for a new pair. Again a good running shop will help (and they’ll twist your footwear with their hands and say you need a new pair (or not)!!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought a few would be talking about training or something?

I hope your niggly foot is not connected to a niggly ankle???

My trainers have worn a bit more on the right foot, which tends to be pointing towards ten past when in a casual stance, as that knee is minus an ACL.

I do have a little contact on the outside of the heels, I am not sure what that's is about???

I have just bought some more of the same Asics Road Hawk FF2, as I quite liked them and got them for £46.00!

Perhaps I will go to the shops next summer and get an analysis if the shops are still there.

Ha....it’s mostly due to an ankle sprain I had about 4 months ago.....as usual these can take forever to heal properly and it’s caused a couple of mechanical issues. Progress is very slow but at least I can still run - it only starts to play up after a couple of hours or so (that is gradually increasing) so I’m knocking out around 40mpw with decent variety. If I get a day when it does play up, it’s always ok the following day.

D

Deleted member 2719

I'm not an expert, apart from on my own feet which also wear the soles differently, so I'd say that yes that is normal.

:cool:

Thanks, the only problem I have is, I hate being normal.:hilton:

Ha....it’s mostly due to an ankle sprain I had about 4 months ago.....as usual, these can take forever to heal properly and it’s caused a couple of mechanical issues. Progress is very slow but at least I can still run - it only starts to play up after a couple of hours or so (that is gradually increasing) so I’m knocking out around 40mpw with decent variety. If I get a day when it does play up, it’s always ok the following day.

I'm sorry if there is an obvious answer to this question, but what makes you want to run more than half an hour?
Is it because your stamina is your biggest asset, or do you just like 2 hours of peace???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks, the only problem I have is, I hate being normal.:hilton:

I'm sorry if there is an obvious answer to this question, but what makes you want to run more than half an hour?
Is it because your stamina is your biggest asset, or do you just like 2 hours of peace???

I don't think there is an obvious answer at all - will be different for everyone.......for me it's a combination of things, including, but not limited to :
-I'm not fast, going longer and slower is 'easier' sometimes (I really don't like parkrun - too hard)
-real enjoyment of being out in the countryside (I never run with music, regardless of time)
-fat burning/weight control
-mental 'escape' (yes - 2 hours of peace)
-interested to learn about how the body adapts, how to fuel etc
-simple challenge of longer distances/time on feet (How long is too long ? I've maxed out at just under 25 hours so far)
-I really enjoy long distance trail events (not so much road but will do the odd road marathon)

D

Deleted member 2719

I don't think there is an obvious answer at all - will be different for everyone.......for me it's a combination of things, including, but not limited to :
-I'm not fast, going longer and slower is 'easier' sometimes (I really don't like parkrun - too hard)
-real enjoyment of being out in the countryside (I never run with music, regardless of time)
-fat burning/weight control
-mental 'escape' (yes - 2 hours of peace)
-interested to learn about how the body adapts, how to fuel etc
-simple challenge of longer distances/time on feet (How long is too long ? I've maxed out at just under 25 hours so far)
-I really enjoy long distance trail events (not so much road but will do the odd road marathon)

All makes sense, and I certainly get the trail events, tarmacadam and concrete are monotonous IMO.

I keep getting told by a fitness guy I know that long distance can effect testosterone levels, he recommends 10-minute bursts. Fortunately I am good in this department, I just didn't know if there was any truth in this as it makes sense?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All makes sense, and I certainly get the trail events, tarmacadam and concrete are monotonous IMO.

I keep getting told by a fitness guy I know that long distance can effect testosterone levels, he recommends 10-minute bursts. Fortunately I am good in this department, I just didn't know if there was any truth in this as it makes sense?

Would that be the fitness guy that works in a gym and can't do much business with people who go out on 3 hour runs over the Downs ?? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think the reality is a it of both is good. I do a couple of interval sessions every week as well as longer slower runs.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
If not doing anything too dramatic, then the trail version of your road shoes is a decent option............fit and feel should be similar so far less risk in changing as opposed to something completely different. If after a while you find you need more grip then you can start to think about something more aggressively-lugged but the Downs aren't too bad anyway as they dry out so quickly.

Thanks for that. Bit the bullet and went for them and they've been good on the road/track. Haven't had a chance to take them on the hills yet but think they should do the trick fine.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Blimey had to search for this thread it had dropped so far down......everyone alright ?? Anyone do the modified Beachy event yesterday ? Looked a lovely day for it.

Anyway, actually tried a 5k yesterday for the first time in several months....pretty average 21.48 and AG 68.35 but will take it in non-race conditions and after a mixed (bit lax) period of training over the last 6 months with no events. Was going reasonably OK until the dreaded dry-retch kicked in with about 1km to go. Not sure if the table is till going [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] but there you go anyway :shrug:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Popped out on Saturday for a nice little HM along the top of the cliffs to Rottingdean and back along the bottom. Was pleased to get the distance without too much bother (though slowed right down as I ran back towards home for 2 miles of gradual incline thtough Holland Road and OSR) as haven't run further than 10/11 miles and only very sporadically have I been doing that. Knees ever so slightly feeling it so will take it easy this week.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Here you go [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] You pip jimmyGrumble on AG Sorry to hear the wretching is still occuring.

NAME NSC 5K NSC 5K AG NSC 3K NSC 3K AG
Big Nuts 18:05 75.76% 10:45 72.19%
ForestRowSeagull 18:04 71.04%
Indurain's Lungs 18:57 72:03% 11:15 68.97%
Badger 18:58 70.3%
knocky 20:46 77.23%
Simgull 21:0772.17%
GNT 21:24(W) 78.38% (W) 12:52 74.11%
Greg Bobkin 21:27 64.8%
Dazzer6666 21:48 68.35%
Jimmy Grimble 21:48
Seagull Si 23:22 60.21%
Bob! 23:49 67.94%

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
Fitzcarraldo 76.04% 4:53
GNT 75.37% 6:24
Big Nuts 73.47% 5:20.6
Forest Row 72.04% 5:09
Penny's Harmonica 71.35% 6:025
Ninja 69.89% 5:21
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39
Dazzer6666 68.13% 6:26
Indurain's Lungs 65.79% 5:58

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Blimey had to search for this thread it had dropped so far down......everyone alright ?? Anyone do the modified Beachy event yesterday ? Looked a lovely day for it.

Anyway, actually tried a 5k yesterday for the first time in several months....pretty average 21.48 and AG 68.35 but will take it in non-race conditions and after a mixed (bit lax) period of training over the last 6 months with no events. Was going reasonably OK until the dreaded dry-retch kicked in with about 1km to go. Not sure if the table is till going [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] but there you go anyway :shrug:

4 months R&R for me. Kept the legs tickng over by walking up hills but not much else. Fingers have been taking the majority of a rheumatoid flare up but resting the feet as stepping over the line could give me tendonitis and stop me walking for a few months.

Will get out there today and see what happens over a couple of miles. Still hoping for a Moyleman place next Spring. :drink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
4 months R&R for me. Kept the legs tickng over by walking up hills but not much else. Fingers have been taking the majority of a rheumatoid flare up but resting the feet as stepping over the line could give me tendonitis and stop me walking for a few months.

Will get out there today and see what happens over a couple of miles. Still hoping for a Moyleman place next Spring. :drink:

Take it easy mate......it’s only a hobby.....

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Brighton Marathon moved to September 12th. Could be a hot one. Not sure why they couldn’t wait until October where the weather is so much cooler.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

I did the Beachy half on Sunday. It was great. Brilliantly organised, around 700 runners, socially-distanced start, excellent marshalling, nice medal, Mars bars and bananas en route, perfect still but cool weather. What’s not to like (apart from the horrendous hills, obv)?

I reckon that with big urban road events cancelled it’s going to be trail races for me for the next year or so.

8dda0a72a2469b3a9b02e411120ba2cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Brighton Marathon moved to September 12th. Could be a hot one. Not sure why they couldn’t wait until October where the weather is so much cooler.

Brighton was going to be my target Spring marathon. :down: I don't think I'll make it in Sept. as I'll hopefully be in the final weeks of prep for London on Oct. 3rd, but who knows what next year will bring in terms of mass participation races.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here