Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
They announced today Park Run won’t be resuming as planned now.

Yup and also announced today, Bath Half postponed from Feb to Sept 2021. Doesn’t bode well for some of the other big spring events (including possibly Brighton half and marathon).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Not surprising about Park Run. A shame but understandable.

I thought I’d lose my mojo without races but it’s been quite the opposite and I’ve loved just getting out with no pressure or much of a plan.

However I decided to enter a couple of Maverick races the first of which is 22k near Guildford on the 4th October. Then the Brighton event starting at Sussex University which is a 23k race along SDW.

My plan is to enjoy both and not go off too fast. Let’s see what happens though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Dragging the thread back from page 4!

Bit of an odd weekend for me, running-wise. Went for two runs on Saturday morning (came back just as Jnr Bobkin was about to head out so I decided to join him), came back, threw up and felt like shite the rest of the day. My plan for yesterday was a half marathon practice ahead of the virtual VLM next weekend. Given Saturday, I thought might be a bit optimistic, but I got into my groove, carried on further than planned along the SDW and it turned out to be one of the most effortless halves I've ever run. Done in a few seconds over two hours, included hills and Strava segment PRs :shrug:

It was a bit breezy up on the hills though, hoping for a bit of respite by next Sunday...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It was a bit breezy up on the hills though...

The northely wind this weekend was brutal!

I went out onto the trails on Saturday morning which included a lap of the outer ring up on Cissbury. Within a few seconds of turning into the wind my eyes were streaming, even though I had sunglasses on, as was my nose and it felt like it was a significant effort to move forward in any meaningful way at all.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
It was blustery but sunny here in Herts on my long run yesterday morning. Still had great fun cruising along up and down the country lanes, calling it a day at 16 miles. Crisp and sunny out again this morning. I think we're in for a gloomy, wet and windy few days this week. Already missing the warmth...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Got absolutely drenched on the track tonight but good to get some consistent speed sessions in.

With 3/4 of the year now down I remain on track for 2000 miles if I can steer clear of injuries.

1511 miles for the year so far which is already about 200 miles higher than any year before this one.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Got absolutely drenched on the track tonight but good to get some consistent speed sessions in.

With 3/4 of the year now down I remain on track for 2000 miles if I can steer clear of injuries.

1511 miles for the year so far which is already about 200 miles higher than any year before this one.

Great work and a good reminder that today we are three quarters of the way through the year.

I’ve done exactly 1000miles ytd. If I remember correctly I did just under 1000 in the whole of 2019.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

We’re pretty much level pegging - I’ve just completed a record month of 211 miles to put me on 1507 for the year.

My target is 2,020 miles for 2020, although I was off for most of January with Achilles woes.

Like you, I now only need to hit below average miles for the final three months to reach that, so injury is my only likely issue. Fingers crossed!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Nice work [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ! :thumbsup: It's brilliant to see such excellent consistent running. Well done!

Yesterday I hit 2,500 miles for the year. The most important and pleasing thing is that it's been an injury free year (so far...). Easy does it... :)

D

Deleted member 2719

Jesus walked on water, Mouldy ran IN water.

Love winter running.:O

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Im on 1269 for the year, biggest ever year was 2009 with 1317 miles.
And hit a 200 day running streak yesterday.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Morning all. Completed my first official virtual marathon yesterday as I braved the SDW and the elements yesterday morning for the alternative London race. I have to say, I made the right decision starting early because the conditions weren't too bad at all. A little bit of drizzle and a keen westerly wind that hit me from Devil's Dyke to Truleigh was the worst of it. I really feel for those who headed out any later in the day – it's a long way in miserable conditions.

Anyway, a little bit of a debrief/race report (only because I wanted to spew it all out and no other feckers would listen/be interested!). I set off in the dark at 6am up the Downslink to the SDW, then up Beeding Hill, and then all the way across to Jack and Jill (who knew (everyone, probably) that the route went straight through the middle of Pycombe golf course?). Turned around and got hit by the wind, but carried on making steady progress and was pretty sensible – walked the hills, kept taking on water. But man, was I was grateful for some of Mrs Bobkin's flapjack at 20 miles as I headed back down Beeding Hill. At that point, I was a bit cold, battered by the wind and in need of a sugar rush and they hit the spot.

Back down to the water stop by the river to fill up a bottle, rejoined the riverbank for the rest of the Lunar-Tic lap – up to the Bridge at Bramber and then headed down the western side where things got pretty muddy. Pace had dropped a bit – and there was a bit of walking/eating/drinking – but I made it to 24 miles still averaging just under 10 min/mile pace, which was my rough benchmark. Sent a message to a couple of mates who were going to meet me at the Toll Bridge for the last 1.3 miles to let them know I was a mile out and then when I got there one of them was waiting at the wrong bridge. That meant my planned pace went out the window as we waited a min or two for him before getting hold of him and finding out what the plonker had done. Met up with him on Shoreham-by-Sea high street and then carried on to the finish line – McDonalds – for a well-earned McMuffin. Finished in 4:23:26 (10:03 per mile), which I was delighted with, especially with nearly 2,600ft of elevation.

As you might expect, there were very few people around, but on the way back around the river, I saw a few people with numbers and other walkers who obviously knew what was going on so shouted encouragement. All in all, it was a really nice run (I do love the SDW), but quite lonely and didn't really feel like a marathon. I'm still not completely sold on the whole 'virtual race' thing, but when charities are being shafted like the rest of us at this time, I'm chuffed that I managed to help raise nearly £1,000 for mine.

Legs feel fine this morning – another benefit of trail running – and the dog dragged me around a four-miler recovery run faster than planned. Just had another Golden Arches breakfast for the hell of it, too.

Well done it you made it this far – I've dragged the thread up the board, if nothing else!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Morning all. Completed my first official virtual marathon yesterday as I braved the SDW and the elements yesterday morning for the alternative London race. I have to say, I made the right decision starting early because the conditions weren't too bad at all. A little bit of drizzle and a keen westerly wind that hit me from Devil's Dyke to Truleigh was the worst of it. I really feel for those who headed out any later in the day – it's a long way in miserable conditions.

Anyway, a little bit of a debrief/race report (only because I wanted to spew it all out and no other feckers would listen/be interested!). I set off in the dark at 6am up the Downslink to the SDW, then up Beeding Hill, and then all the way across to Jack and Jill (who knew (everyone, probably) that the route went straight through the middle of Pycombe golf course?). Turned around and got hit by the wind, but carried on making steady progress and was pretty sensible – walked the hills, kept taking on water. But man, was I was grateful for some of Mrs Bobkin's flapjack at 20 miles as I headed back down Beeding Hill. At that point, I was a bit cold, battered by the wind and in need of a sugar rush and they hit the spot.

Back down to the water stop by the river to fill up a bottle, rejoined the riverbank for the rest of the Lunar-Tic lap – up to the Bridge at Bramber and then headed down the western side where things got pretty muddy. Pace had dropped a bit – and there was a bit of walking/eating/drinking – but I made it to 24 miles still averaging just under 10 min/mile pace, which was my rough benchmark. Sent a message to a couple of mates who were going to meet me at the Toll Bridge for the last 1.3 miles to let them know I was a mile out and then when I got there one of them was waiting at the wrong bridge. That meant my planned pace went out the window as we waited a min or two for him before getting hold of him and finding out what the plonker had done. Met up with him on Shoreham-by-Sea high street and then carried on to the finish line – McDonalds – for a well-earned McMuffin. Finished in 4:23:26 (10:03 per mile), which I was delighted with, especially with nearly 2,600ft of elevation.

As you might expect, there were very few people around, but on the way back around the river, I saw a few people with numbers and other walkers who obviously knew what was going on so shouted encouragement. All in all, it was a really nice run (I do love the SDW), but quite lonely and didn't really feel like a marathon. I'm still not completely sold on the whole 'virtual race' thing, but when charities are being shafted like the rest of us at this time, I'm chuffed that I managed to help raise nearly £1,000 for mine.

Legs feel fine this morning – another benefit of trail running – and the dog dragged me around a four-miler recovery run faster than planned. Just had another Golden Arches breakfast for the hell of it, too.

Well done it you made it this far – I've dragged the thread up the board, if nothing else!

Well done, mate, that's a terrific performance.

I've had to cut back on the running to give various things a chance to heal. So to fill the vacuum I've had another crack at that 'Murph' thing (pull ups. press ups etc). I mention this because I recall you were the only other nutter on the thread who'd done this. I managed it in 38.44. Pleased with this but I wouldn't match it up against your achievement yesterday. (My goal is to try to do it with the 10kg vest on but my goodness that would be hard.)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well done, mate, that's a terrific performance.

I've had to cut back on the running to give various things a chance to heal. So to fill the vacuum I've had another crack at that 'Murph' thing (pull ups. press ups etc). I mention this because I recall you were the only other nutter on the thread who'd done this. I managed it in 38.44. Pleased with this but I wouldn't match it up against your achievement yesterday. (My goal is to try to do it with the 10kg vest on but my goodness that would be hard.)

PS well done to all the lads clocking up those impressive mileages too. Never ever kept a record of annual mileages in all the years I've been pounding the pavements, but I don't think I'd ever get to the 1000.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Very impressive.

Watching, via IG, many of the runners I follow completely their VLMs yesterday has me considering whether I've got one in me. My problems...

1. I've not run further than about 16/17 miles before.
2. I never carry anything with me - liquid/food/pretend exercise food.
3. I don't own one of those little vest things that the proper runners all seem to own, presumably to cover off 2 above.
4. My legs are often quite weary due to the running mileage and dog-walking I do.

But, I thought...

1. If I have a very easy week or so, cut back the mileage a lot - just covering a few miles at a very easy pace - it should allow my legs to freshen up a bit whilst keeping my run streak going.
2. If I ran a route like Worthing - Brighton - Worthing along the coast, there are enough shops and garages dotted about that would enable me to buy stuff if required.

Am I just being over-optimistic?!?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Very impressive.

Watching, via IG, many of the runners I follow completely their VLMs yesterday has me considering whether I've got one in me. My problems...

1. I've not run further than about 16/17 miles before.
2. I never carry anything with me - liquid/food/pretend exercise food.
3. I don't own one of those little vest things that the proper runners all seem to own, presumably to cover off 2 above.
4. My legs are often quite weary due to the running mileage and dog-walking I do.

But, I thought...

1. If I have a very easy week or so, cut back the mileage a lot - just covering a few miles at a very easy pace - it should allow my legs to freshen up a bit whilst keeping my run streak going.
2. If I ran a route like Worthing - Brighton - Worthing along the coast, there are enough shops and garages dotted about that would enable me to buy stuff if required.

Am I just being over-optimistic?!?

I don't think you're being over-optimistic at all.

1) IMO, if you've run that distance, you can probably run 26.2 no problem. In some marathon training plans that's not much short of the longest run before race day.
2/3) Yes, I have a vest and I used it yesterday to carry water, a bit of food (more than I'd normally need), facemask (for post-run McD's), mobile charging unit and cables (had to run the VLM app and I wasn't sure how it would affect phone battery life). I normally would only take water and food, normally just water if it's an organised trail marathon, because the aid stations are normally fabulously stocked. The vests are so comfortable too, but if you didn't want to go down that route then yes, run via the shops along the coast. There's talk of a Pier 2 Pier run involving (I think) Bognor to Brighton and there are plenty of places along there. Or get a support crew to drop the odd bottle with you or something (loads of runners yesterday had people helping them).
4) My legs were a bit of a mess before I started yesterday after being on my hands and knees all day Saturday insulating the loft. But when you're out there, you just get through it and actually it eases off after a while. But yes, I took it easy last week (fewer miles at a slower pace) and I was back out this morning to keep my own streak going.

The most important thing is you have to WANT to run a marathon. It's a hell of a long way if you're hating it the whole way round. Had this conversation with a mate yesterday, who ran the last mile with me – what is the point of running (or any form of sport/exercise/activity) if you don't enjoy it? Waste of time and you end up feeling worse than you did before you started!

Finally – and I know [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] would agree, but many others might not – I would always favour trails over road. Especially if you're legs are feeling it because, honestly, mine feel fine today. It could be that we organise (or resurrect) the NSC marathon and get a few of us (up to six, I guess?) involved. I'm sure people could carry some food and water for you :lolol: Actually, I think – if you did the route I did yesterday – there would be enough places to stop along the way, maybe?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here