Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yes I am doing the same plan. I am doing the same with the running too, there is no way my knees can cope with 8-8.5 minute miles, so I have had to reduce the speed I run at to compensate for them.

Sounds familiar. My knees seem ok so far - I just do not have the puff for 8-8.5 miles for any duration. Still - plenty of weeks to go. A two hour run on Sunday seems a bit daunting. I am not not doing anything today or tomorrow though.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm up to 7.5 miles, being ill over Christmas completely ruined my training schedule but I'm right back on it now. I'm aiming for 9-10 miles tomorrow morning and a steady increase of a couple of miles each week from now on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Congrats Sim, sleepless nights?

I have a 13 week old baby and finding training tough to fit in. Unable to do Brighton this year so have entered the North Dorset Marathon which is a few weeks later, just about on track re training.

Help requested though anyone

Have yet to run under 4hrs for a marathon - done 4hrs 15 a few times and have a 1hr 40 half, any tips on how to break the back of a 4hr?
Cheers. He's waking up once a night now, so it's not bad really. This is number 3 for us, so we're used to it now. :)

As for tips, well my tip would be to mix up your training runs. Three x 5/6 mile runs + a long run is your base line for the next 3 months. However, I think you will see your performance notably improve if you can mix up those 5/6 mile runs by making some of them an interval training session, a hill training session or a fartlek (google is your friend). And one thing you shouldn't do is overtrain. You'll do yourself no favours by running on a daily basis.

Sounds familiar. My knees seem ok so far - I just do not have the puff for 8-8.5 miles for any duration. Still - plenty of weeks to go. A two hour run on Sunday seems a bit daunting. I am not not doing anything today or tomorrow though.

My knees are coping, but this will be my one and only marathon due to the said knees. If you fancy a running partner on Sunday let me know, I won't be going fast!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Cheers. He's waking up once a night now, so it's not bad really. This is number 3 for us, so we're used to it now. :)

As for tips, well my tip would be to mix up your training runs. Three x 5/6 mile runs + a long run is your base line for the next 3 months. However, I think you will see your performance notably improve if you can mix up those 5/6 mile runs by making some of them an interval training session, a hill training session or a fartlek (google is your friend). And one thing you shouldn't do is overtrain. You'll do yourself no favours by running on a daily basis.

:thumbsup:

Thanks Sim, will mix up my training runs forthwith, although its a rest day tomorrow for me. :smile:

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
How was everyone's training/park runs at the weekend?

I did a nice gentle long 12 miler and then, on Simster's advice "mixed it up" with a 7 miler containing 3 x 1 hard mile with jog recovery within.

Nice.

I always find the long run far better with 3 points in the pocket as no matter what you think you'll think about running, it always returns to the Albion.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
In comparison mine was more of a stagger. 10 miles at 11 minute miles. I think I need to up my speed a little. Felt ok - but a bit tired afterwards.

On a two hour run - do people take a drink or these gel sweets with them ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
On a two hour run - do people take a drink or these gel sweets with them ?
Definitely take a drink, even just one of those 500ml running water bottles. Three quid well spent:
73360002_white.jpg

Gels or cereal bars are also a good idea on a long run, and two hours is a long run.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
DKM

I take water, and after about 10 miles I'll add a Nuun Tablet to each full bottle of water. I find gels too sweet & sickly

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Definitely take a drink, even just one of those 500ml running water bottles. Three quid well spent:
73360002_white.jpg

Gels or cereal bars are also a good idea on a long run, and two hours is a long run.

I've got one of those bottles it certainly does the trick, I usually fill it with slightly watered down energy drink :thumbsup:

What gels/tablets would people recommend? I did 10 miles on Saturday and I reckon I'm at the point where I should start experimenting with these.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I find the gels make me a bit queasy, have heard of other people suffering from dodgy stomachs after taking them.

I did an 11 miler at New Year, have had a back problem since, which is affecting the left hamstring/glute and been told not to run any decent distance until its fixed. Which is very frustrating as for the first time in my life, I'm finding I actually want to get out there running :(

I think it's sort of easing off, thanks to my osteopath (god that's expensive too), but it's not exactly a quick fix.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've just done an 11 miler which I had to postpone from yesterday as I had a few lagers on Saturday night. Some speed work tomorrow. All good on the Tubthumper front.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I've got one of those bottles it certainly does the trick, I usually fill it with slightly watered down energy drink :thumbsup:

What gels/tablets would people recommend? I did 10 miles on Saturday and I reckon I'm at the point where I should start experimenting with these.

Ive started going with the high five gel +'s. They come in a range of flavours although I prefer orange or raspberry. I avoided them until last year but Im a convert now and can see how they can aid that point in a run where you need the boost esepcially ones of say over 1 and a half hrs. I do always take them with water though otherwise I find I can feel queasy and like Edna I have heard of people who just cannot stomach them, its horses for courses, so many different types, bound to be one kind out there for you.

Post run I have had a few Goodness shakes......now they are lovely especially the very berry ones.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Post run I have had a few Goodness shakes......now they are lovely especially the very berry ones.

Post (long) run I have two bags of Bobby's Bacon Streaks!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here