Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Cheers mate.

I seem to be on the mend. I've taken the plunge and entered the Worthing 10K. Just in case anyone else is interested there were 600 places still left a few days ago. I originally thought the were limiting the event to 600 (Covid) but I got the wrong end of the stick. So there could be a very big field and it will be interesting to see how hey are going to handle the logistics. However, there's still a good chance it might be shelved given Covid. Worthing has itself had a bit of a spike of late.

Interesting to see how they deal with the field of that size. For the New Forest HM on Sunday we are all assigned start time pens (over the course of an hour) and have to pass 1 by 1 through the start gate at 2 metre intervals!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers mate.

I seem to be on the mend. I've taken the plunge and entered the Worthing 10K. Just in case anyone else is interested there were 600 places still left a few days ago. I originally thought the were limiting the event to 600 (Covid) but I got the wrong end of the stick. So there could be a very big field and it will be interesting to see how hey are going to handle the logistics. However, there's still a good chance it might be shelved given Covid. Worthing has itself had a bit of a spike of late.

I’m a cynical, crusty c***, but strange it’s been cancelled today 48 hours after announcing additional registration.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oh! Maybe you've got an inside track on this one as their website doesn't have any info and I've not received an email? Fingers are crossed.

A very ordinary 23.13 5k for me today along a rather blustery seafront.

Worthing Council stopped it.
https://www.facebook.com/Worthing10K/

The team are devastated to announce that today we have received news from Worthing Borough Council that the 2020 event can no longer take place.

We have gone to incredible lengths to ensure a COVID-19 compliant event, but have to respect a decision that has been taken with consideration to the number of cases rising across the country and the government introducing stricter restrictions on group gatherings.

We will reflect on this news over the weekend, and then commence plans for the 2021 event which is scheduled for Sunday 13th June.

--

Statement from Cllr Kevin Jenkins, Worthing Borough Council's Executive Member for Regeneration.

"Worthing has a great track record of hosting running events. They bring a real buzz to the town and draw thousands of spectators to the seafront route which makes it a real highlight of the town's calendar.

"In normal circumstances 2020 would be no different to any other year, but it isn’t. We have all been affected by COVID-19 and as a community we are steadily finding our way forward.

"I recognise the considerable work organisers have put in to seek to provide a safe event for the runners, volunteers, spectators and community, especially in terms of the start and finish of the race.

"However, I have to consider the wider risk that this event could bring to our whole community. Balancing all of this together, I do not believe that now is the time to host such a well-attended event.

"I realise that this will disappoint a large number of people, but the decision is made taking into account the wider community of Worthing and the need to ensure that we all stay safe. I look forward to the race returning later in 2021."

--

Registered runners can expect email communication within the next 5 days, detailing their options.

Once again we are so sorry to bring you this news, we were desperate to give the local running community something to look forward to, delivered in a safe and responsible way. We are deeply saddened this is no longer possible.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Worthing Council stopped it.
https://www.facebook.com/Worthing10K/

The team are devastated to announce that today we have received news from Worthing Borough Council that the 2020 event can no longer take place.

We have gone to incredible lengths to ensure a COVID-19 compliant event, but have to respect a decision that has been taken with consideration to the number of cases rising across the country and the government introducing stricter restrictions on group gatherings.

We will reflect on this news over the weekend, and then commence plans for the 2021 event which is scheduled for Sunday 13th June.

--

Statement from Cllr Kevin Jenkins, Worthing Borough Council's Executive Member for Regeneration.

"Worthing has a great track record of hosting running events. They bring a real buzz to the town and draw thousands of spectators to the seafront route which makes it a real highlight of the town's calendar.

"In normal circumstances 2020 would be no different to any other year, but it isn’t. We have all been affected by COVID-19 and as a community we are steadily finding our way forward.

"I recognise the considerable work organisers have put in to seek to provide a safe event for the runners, volunteers, spectators and community, especially in terms of the start and finish of the race.

"However, I have to consider the wider risk that this event could bring to our whole community. Balancing all of this together, I do not believe that now is the time to host such a well-attended event.

"I realise that this will disappoint a large number of people, but the decision is made taking into account the wider community of Worthing and the need to ensure that we all stay safe. I look forward to the race returning later in 2021."

--

Registered runners can expect email communication within the next 5 days, detailing their options.

Once again we are so sorry to bring you this news, we were desperate to give the local running community something to look forward to, delivered in a safe and responsible way. We are deeply saddened this is no longer possible.

Yep; thanks. The sliver lining is that you and I are now both entered for the event next year and (injury, form and Covid notwithstanding) a head to head is on! (I've already been down to Ladbrokes and put £50 on you.)

To this end I started my preparation for next June early and today managed another HM, this time in under 2 hours @5.36 per km. Bloody windy as well.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yep; thanks. The sliver lining is that you and I are now both entered for the event next year and (injury, form and Covid notwithstanding) a head to head is on! (I've already been down to Ladbrokes and put £50 on you.)

To this end I started my preparation for next June early and today managed another HM, this time in under 2 hours @5.36 per km. Bloody windy as well.

The race is on! I’m happy for it to be settled on AG. We can invite speedy, not so young, [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] to the challenge then.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
New Forest HM - much harder than expected. Nearly all on farm tracks around the outside of fields, uneven trails, lumpy grass. Also nearly 200m of elevation gain and very hot.

Completely exploded at 11m which reflects course toughness and my recent mileage. Was on for sub 1:30 to that point but ended with a 1:33.

Saw another NSC runner was at the event but can't link it to an NSC handle.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
New Forest HM - much harder than expected. Nearly all on farm tracks around the outside of fields, uneven trails, lumpy grass. Also nearly 200m of elevation gain and very hot.

Completely exploded at 11m which reflects course toughness and my recent mileage. Was on for sub 1:30 to that point but ended with a 1:33.

Fantastic running! A great time on what sounds like a tough hilly trail half. Congrats! :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Well done - really good time. I did this a couple of times in the early 90s (that's the 1990s, not the1890s) and remember it as undulating and a bit of a challenge. I don't think I ducked under 1.40.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Well done - really good time. I did this a couple of times in the early 90s (that's the 1990s, not the1890s) and remember it as undulating and a bit of a challenge. I don't think I ducked under 1.40.

Thanks. They had to move from the usual course in the NF to a new course around an estate deeper into Dorset - lots of complaints/surprise from those I spoke to about how much harder this course was than the usual one! Only 13 people under 1:30 this year and 2/3rds field over 2 hours - definitely went in at the deep end with my first HM in 11 years!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yes, Maybe even turn it into the NSC 10K AG Challenge and lure some others? (Artie need not apply :rolleyes:)

I'm very much out :thumbsup:

I have, however, SINGED up for the virtual London Marathon, off the back of a FB post from the charity I support. So, anyone got a two-week marathon training plan? :lolol:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I'm very much out :thumbsup:

I have, however, SINGED up for the virtual London Marathon, off the back of a FB post from the charity I support. So, anyone got a two-week marathon training plan? :lolol:

Great stuff GB! Kudos for taking it on! All the very best for a nice long run and take care out there. Can't think of any helpful hints to consider implementing for a 2 week marathon training plan but they do say it's better to be undercooked than overcooked :smile:

I'm really excited to see how the elites get on around the closed-loop circuit in St. James's Park on Oct. 4th. The course looks absolutely perfect and a dream for very fast times. Seeing Kipchoge vs Bekele is going to be truly epic! Plus the current ladies marathon world record holder Brigid Kosgei. There's some fantastic British & Irish elites lining up too. Really looking forward to it.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Latest old man lower leg injury. Bloody shin splints. Been taking it easy for a couple of weeks, following the advice of several YouTube videos.
Actually booked a physio appointment, but after waiting for 20 minutes outside the treatment room while he was with another client, I thought, f*ck this, & walked out.
Ever since Paul from Coral's Gym emigrated, I haven't found anyone who's that good, in fact I've given up with them.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Latest old man lower leg injury. Bloody shin splints. Been taking it easy for a couple of weeks, following the advice of several YouTube videos.
Actually booked a physio appointment, but after waiting for 20 minutes outside the treatment room while he was with another client, I thought, f*ck this, & walked out.
Ever since Paul from Coral's Gym emigrated, I haven't found anyone who's that good, in fact I've given up with them.

Paul is missed. I’m with you there, yet to find a replacement as good although a couple I’ve used have been very good.

Where was the appointment booked for, where you were kept waiting?

I’ve heard rumours that Paul is back from Canada and is looking at a ‘second coming’ back to being a physio.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Paul is missed. I’m with you there, yet to find a replacement as good although a couple I’ve used have been very good.

Where was the appointment booked for, where you were kept waiting?

I’ve heard rumours that Paul is back from Canada and is looking at a ‘second coming’ back to being a physio.

Probably shouldn't name name's. I'll just say it was in Shoreham & he didn't have the decency to apologise or even contact me to ask where I went or wanted re-booking. Not a good way to run a business, but what do I know. Lost my custom that's for sure.

If Paul is back, keep us posted if he sets up somewhere.

Right, where's that foam roller?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Probably shouldn't name name's. I'll just say it was in Shoreham & he didn't have the decency to apologise or even contact me to ask where I went or wanted re-booking. Not a good way to run a business, but what do I know. Lost my custom that's for sure.

If Paul is back, keep us posted if he sets up somewhere.

Right, where's that foam roller?

Have you tried Paul’s replacement? I can PM you his details.

Also the physio operating out of Hove Park is good again I can pass on details.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Have you tried Paul’s replacement? I can PM you his details.

Also the physio operating out of Hove Park is good again I can pass on details.

No I haven't, & yes PM me please mate. If I can't fix this myself I'll need it looking at. Hopefully not a stress fracture; never had anything like it though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Great stuff GB! Kudos for taking it on! All the very best for a nice long run and take care out there. Can't think of any helpful hints to consider implementing for a 2 week marathon training plan but they do say it's better to be undercooked than overcooked :smile:

I'm really excited to see how the elites get on around the closed-loop circuit in St. James's Park on Oct. 4th. The course looks absolutely perfect and a dream for very fast times. Seeing Kipchoge vs Bekele is going to be truly epic! Plus the current ladies marathon world record holder Brigid Kosgei. There's some fantastic British & Irish elites lining up too. Really looking forward to it.

Cheers Artie. I should be fine. I'm keeping it trail-y, so time is not too much of an issue (apart from a little challenge I've set myself) and I know I can cover the distance.I'll be interested to see how many others will be out and about (although probably not many at 6:30am on the SDW!)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This feels like me saying "Brighton Marathon won't go ahead" way back when and getting pilloried on here, but the end of October is a long way off right now, and I wouldn't be surprised if either they are unable to recommence then or it just doesn't feel right to do so.

These plans will have been a long time in the making, I'm sure, but the "it's all going well" tide looks like turning right now.

They announced today Park Run won’t be resuming as planned now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here