Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Morning runners

I’m still running but I’m not here to provide an update on my mileage. I’m back with an injury type question.

I was on the treadmill at the gym the other day and in front of me is the standard mirror which had an A4 sign in front of me blocking my view of myself. After about 40mins I noticed a claret splodge on my white vest, as I moved to the right slightly I saw a huge blood stain on the right hand side of my top. Turns out my nipple was bleeding quite a lot. It wasn’t hurting but had been irritating me a few days before.

I’d been using germoline to sooty it after which appeared to work.

Has anyone got any secrets in what I can use ahead or during runs to stop it happening?

I have a feeling that the combination of sweat and the particular vest I was wearing had caused an irritation.

I’ve never experienced this injury before but Vaseline I’m presuming would be the way forward until your nipples harden sufficiently to withstand the many miles that lay ahead for you.

I’m presuming you’re a male if not a sports bra may come in handy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Morning runners

I’m still running but I’m not here to provide an update on my mileage. I’m back with an injury type question.

I was on the treadmill at the gym the other day and in front of me is the standard mirror which had an A4 sign in front of me blocking my view of myself. After about 40mins I noticed a claret splodge on my white vest, as I moved to the right slightly I saw a huge blood stain on the right hand side of my top. Turns out my nipple was bleeding quite a lot. It wasn’t hurting but had been irritating me a few days before.

I’d been using germoline to sooty it after which appeared to work.

Has anyone got any secrets in what I can use ahead or during runs to stop it happening?

I have a feeling that the combination of sweat and the particular vest I was wearing had caused an irritation.

Very dependent on the type of shirt in my experience, and also much worse when it’s wet (tend to sweat more in the gym than outdoors so more likely to happen). If I’m doing a marathon or ultra I tend to stick a plaster or some zinc tape on them anyway.....easy to joke about it but it’s bloody painful when it happens!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Very dependent on the type of shirt in my experience, and also much worse when it’s wet (tend to sweat more in the gym than outdoors so more likely to happen). If I’m doing a marathon or ultra I tend to stick a plaster or some zinc tape on them anyway.....easy to joke about it but it’s bloody painful when it happens!

Yep, good old tit tape done in a cross. Or wear a technical (Stretchy) top under your vest.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Yep - I have one or two shirts that can make my nipples sore whilst others never have done. Typically I forget which are which. They've never got to the point of bleeding, but the post-run hot shower can be painful, and is generally the first reminder that I forgot I was wearing one of those shirts.

Not a problem in winter months when I tend to wear a compression top which seems to fit tight enough not to rub,.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It’s yours for free. You’ll have to collect from a friend’s shop near King Alfred (Our Irish Weakest Link non NSC member) or get someone to pick up for you.
[MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] could help by letting me know when they’ve been posted.
We’ll see how your Achilles goes then revert to private message.

Sounding good. I'll need to break my duck on the PM system.

To celebrate, I managed a 22.33 5K this morning - best for a few months. Will see how the Achilles feels tomorrow................

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Looking to lose a few pounds to get back to optimal weight, what’s the best approach? 5 k interval training? Longer slower runs? Or maybe a mix of it all?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Looking to lose a few pounds to get back to optimal weight, what’s the best approach? 5 k interval training? Longer slower runs? Or maybe a mix of it all?

With a bit of help from MyFitnessPal, I lost two stone between April in August. Running-wise, I just upped the regularity (eventually running every day) and the runs became easier as I got lighter/fitter. They were mostly plods of between 4-10 miles, with the odd tempo session thrown in for good measure. In my case, I think the running was a secondary factor to merely reducing the amount of food I was sticking in my gob!

Good luck!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The mutt has become pretty much a permanent fixture on my runs, which has meant I haven't done my hill repeats session for a while and the distances have been limited. But that all changed yesterday when the boy and I covered 13.2 miles of Sussex's finest. Along the path of the River Adur to the SDW, up the hill past the youth hostel and back down to Southwick Hill, slung a right along the path leading back to the farm up Mill Hill. Absolutely glorious weather and conditions for it and the little bugger STILL wasn't tired afterwards :lolol:

I also belatedly realised that I'd passed 1,000 miles for the year the other week. Reached in record time for me and now anything else is a bonus for the year – 1,500 might be possible, but I'm loathed to set a target...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good news and bad news from this end.

On Sunday morning I was listening to R5 and heard that people were running the Great North Run virtually. I thought: I wonder if I can run a HM on the basis of no proper training and an Achilles problem. Also, I'd like to do under 2 hours.

The good news is that I managed the distance but just came in over the 2 hours.

The bad news is that after about 12k I took a bit of a fall, landed on my knee and elbow and got up to finish the run. Net result is that ironically my Achilles is fine but I'm a bit banged about. And cutting to the chase: Gaffer, please don't hold the entry for the Worthing 10k for me. I'll either not do it (because I'll not be training for a while), or I'll try to get in using my own name. Maybe there's another deserving recipient you could direct it to? And thanks for the offer.

Sorry for messing you around, but I'm at least proud in a mad sort of way that I managed the HM distance and in tricky circumstances. To modify an old saying: 'there's no fall like an old fool'*.

*and I'll soon be hitting Worthing Council with a £20M lawsuit for uneven paving slabs.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good news and bad news from this end.

On Sunday morning I was listening to R5 and heard that people were running the Great North Run virtually. I thought: I wonder if I can run a HM on the basis of no proper training and an Achilles problem. Also, I'd like to do under 2 hours.

The good news is that I managed the distance but just came in over the 2 hours.

The bad news is that after about 12k I took a bit of a fall, landed on my knee and elbow and got up to finish the run. Net result is that ironically my Achilles is fine but I'm a bit banged about. And cutting to the chase: Gaffer, please don't hold the entry for the Worthing 10k for me. I'll either not do it (because I'll not be training for a while), or I'll try to get in using my own name. Maybe there's another deserving recipient you could direct it to? And thanks for the offer.

Sorry for messing you around, but I'm at least proud in a mad sort of way that I managed the HM distance and in tricky circumstances. To modify an old saying: 'there's no fall like an old fool'*.

*and I'll soon be hitting Worthing Council with a £20M lawsuit for uneven paving slabs.

Sorry to hear about your fall GNT, but well done for the HM distance – two hours is still bloody good going on no training and a dodgy achilles!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just gone through 1,400 miles for the year. To hit my 2,020 in 2020 I have 612 to go, which means an average of 5.78 miles per day which should be achievable if I'm able to avoid the injury curse.

I got my Pegasus Trail 2s last week and I'm absolutely loving them - the Wildhorse 6 are going to struggle to get a look in now. Because I only ever run from my front door, I always need to cover some road to get to the trails, and they're perfect for that, and then great fun on the trails, although I remain concerned as to how they'll cope with the chalky clay stuff when it gets wet and turns into an ice rink.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Mrs Orange volunteered me for the school run this morning so she could get a run in before work, so I ended up going at lunch.

Boy is it hot out there! Even without pushing hard a couple of laps around Stoke Park left me in a sweaty mess!

:D

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Mrs Orange volunteered me for the school run this morning so she could get a run in before work, so I ended up going at lunch.

Boy is it hot out there! Even without pushing hard a couple of laps around Stoke Park left me in a sweaty mess!

:D

Saw a mate this morning as I was just finishing a seven-miler and he remarked what a sweaty mess I was (in a much nicer way than that!) :lolol:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Sorry to hear about your fall GNT, but well done for the HM distance – two hours is still bloody good going on no training and a dodgy achilles!

Cheers mate.

I seem to be on the mend. I've taken the plunge and entered the Worthing 10K. Just in case anyone else is interested there were 600 places still left a few days ago. I originally thought the were limiting the event to 600 (Covid) but I got the wrong end of the stick. So there could be a very big field and it will be interesting to see how hey are going to handle the logistics. However, there's still a good chance it might be shelved given Covid. Worthing has itself had a bit of a spike of late.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cheers mate.

I seem to be on the mend. I've taken the plunge and entered the Worthing 10K. Just in case anyone else is interested there were 600 places still left a few days ago. I originally thought the were limiting the event to 600 (Covid) but I got the wrong end of the stick. So there could be a very big field and it will be interesting to see how hey are going to handle the logistics. However, there's still a good chance it might be shelved given Covid. Worthing has itself had a bit of a spike of late.

A 10k road race? Just you try and STOP me :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here