Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That's a bizarrely similar post to the one I've just made!

:lolol: Welcome to the 200 club, Bozza! I'm not sure I'll be repeating it anytime soon, but you never know. I've been hovering around the higher 100s for a couple of months and – as your six-month streak goes to prove – you do get into a bit of a groove sometimes and what might've seemed impossible feels normal.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
:lolol: Welcome to the 200 club, Bozza! I'm not sure I'll be repeating it anytime soon, but you never know. I've been hovering around the higher 100s for a couple of months and – as your six-month streak goes to prove – you do get into a bit of a groove sometimes and what might've seemed impossible feels normal.

Again, very similar I think...

Jan - 30
Feb - 142
Mar - 182
Apr - 183
May - 185
Jun - 170
Jul - 201

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Fantastic running [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ! :thumbsup: Safely navigating some decent consistency works wonders.

312 miles for the month for me. Volume slightly down from the last 2 months which were around 340, but I've been incorporating some more "quality" days with threshold intervals, tempo and 18+ mile long runs at a decent clip this month so it's all about balance.

I also hit 2000 miles for the year on today's run so super happy with a really solid injury-free (crosses fingers) year of running so far.

Everyone enjoying their warm weather training? :D

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Fantastic running [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ! :thumbsup: Safely navigating some decent consistency works wonders.

312 miles for the month for me. Volume slightly down from the last 2 months which were around 340, but I've been incorporating some more "quality" days with threshold intervals, tempo and 18+ mile long runs at a decent clip this month so it's all about balance.

I also hit 2000 miles for the year on today's run so super happy with a really solid injury-free (crosses fingers) year of running so far.

2000 miles an impressive milestone to reach at the end of July. :clap2: I don't think I'll get close to that for the whole year!

Having got to 1000k at the end of April my distance has been steadily dropping. It's been consistently hot and humid here since the start of June and I just don't get enough enjoyment out of a hot and sticky, solo run without a goal race to be able to get out there and put in the miles. I've also been doing a lot of cycling at weekends, which has been a great way of visiting places.

We're entering stage 3 of reopening in Toronto today. That allows outside gatherings up to 100 people provided social distancing can be maintained. It looks like my running groups will starting up again in some capacity (not 100 people though), so I'm looking forward to that. Running in a group on a sunny summer's day is definitely something I've been missing.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
2000 miles an impressive milestone to reach at the end of July. :clap2: I don't think I'll get close to that for the whole year!

Having got to 1000k at the end of April my distance has been steadily dropping. It's been consistently hot and humid here since the start of June and I just don't get enough enjoyment out of a hot and sticky, solo run without a goal race to be able to get out there and put in the miles. I've also been doing a lot of cycling at weekends, which has been a great way of visiting places.

We're entering stage 3 of reopening in Toronto today. That allows outside gatherings up to 100 people provided social distancing can be maintained. It looks like my running groups will starting up again in some capacity (not 100 people though), so I'm looking forward to that. Running in a group on a sunny summer's day is definitely something I've been missing.

Thanks Bagder :thumbsup:

Great news that Toronto is continuing to open up a little more and you'll be able to get back to the group runs soon.

I'm sure you get some seriously hot and humid heat which must be tough going for running, plus as you say no goal race coming up to focus on. You'd probably think our warm weather at the moment is a mild breeze to run in, in comparison :smile:

I think dialling back on the running now and again to reset can do the world of good too. We can't be hitting peak form & fitness all year round.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Brighton Marathon sort of off then? My guess is a virtual, run 26 miles in the week, raise money for good causes and claim a medal.

The email was rather cryptic, so I'm going to continue training until they clarify mid-August. My guess is I'll be rolling my place over to next year though.

🙁

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Have postponed my running return to play it safe.
After swimming today my right hand stuck in a claw shape and stayed like it for about 2 hours. No pain but a warning not to risk the feet and legs just yet. Fine health otherwise but losing a bit of cardio whilst waiting for this manageable rheumatoid arthritis flare up to bugger off.
Will continue with the non load bearing swimming, twisted hand or not.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Was down in Cornwall last week and one long run along a small part of the South West Coast Path. Some of the views were incredible! 22.5miles with about 1.8km vertical. Very much recommended if anyone's down that way.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Cheers Arte. I'm really not sure what distance I'll end up with, but having been playing catch-up after the first couple of months, I'm now ahead of my standard target of 1,000 miles for the year (or 1,200 in a good year). Next year there are a few bike events to train for (hopefully), so the running will probably take a bit of a dip.

Warm weather training? It's OK, but then I've been out early enough for it to even feel a bit chilly over the past few days. The worst thing is having nothing concrete to train FOR :shrug: I saw the latest details for Beachy and it seems so far removed from the standard race (understandably) that I really don't fancy it (even if I did have a place). I see Phoenix is back up and running, with limited numbers, so that could be one to look into?

Have postponed my running return to play it safe.
After swimming today my right hand stuck in a claw shape and stayed like it for about 2 hours. No pain but a warning not to risk the feet and legs just yet. Fine health otherwise but losing a bit of cardio whilst waiting for this manageable rheumatoid arthritis flare up to bugger off.
Will continue with the non load bearing swimming, twisted hand or not.

Oh Gawd! Take care Gaffer and safe swimming.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
FFS I’d just like to do one!

I've been feeling a bit like that myself on the longer runs!

On the plus side, my dodgy ankle seems to be re-gaining some of the strength it lost so is much less sore after long runs - particularly if I manage it with RICE and ibuprofen on completion of the run.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wanted to see if anyone here has had issues with kidney stones/running with them?

Waiting on an ultrasound in 2 weeks but from talking to GP it looks likely I passed a kidney stone about 3 weeks ago. Did an 8km hill run with some friends, felt fine at the time but afterwards started to get what I initially thought was a stitch in my right side. However the pain grew and grew to a near unbearable level. Realised that I was badly dehydrated and drank copious amounts of water. Urinating later was quite painful.

Since then I have had no pain and no other symptoms except a small amount of urine in blood twice, both times were straight after a run (therefore likely a bit dehydrated) and soon went away with taking on fluid.

Would welcome views from anyone who has experienced similar, thanks.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
And pace too, our fellow NSCer who clocked 20 miles at sub-7:00 minute yesterday pace deserves a round of applause!

Thanks very much! :thumbsup:

In marathon training the 18+ mile long run at a decent clip is my most important run of the week. It's all about trying to get the body and mind feeling as comfortable as possible running at a good tempo for a long time. I find the more of these I do, the more conditioned I get. Practice makes perfect. In a marathon build up I'd normally do around 3-4 x 20 milers, 2 x 22 milers and 1 x 23 miler, before tapering.

Plus where I live it's not particularly flat so working for 2+ hours at just outside marathon pace (or 80% marathon pace effort) up and down the country roads is a really solid "quality" day banked. Then when it comes to racing on the flat, marathon pace "should" feel slightly easier.

Sunday's 20 miler was #2. Depending on the London Marathon's final decision due on Friday that might be my last "quality" long effort for a while. If it's on, I'll have around 5 more to do :eek:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oh Gawd! Take care Gaffer and safe swimming.

Cheers. Hand sore today so had a quick visit to Decathlon for some protection on the finger joints. Looking forward to trying out these cheating blades in a short while.
72624F3D-AC5D-4187-858E-564D7C196FBE.jpeg

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks very much! :thumbsup:

In marathon training the 18+ mile long run at a decent clip is my most important run of the week. It's all about trying to get the body and mind feeling as comfortable as possible running at a good tempo for a long time. I find the more of these I do, the more conditioned I get. Practice makes perfect. In a marathon build up I'd normally do around 3-4 x 20 milers, 2 x 22 milers and 1 x 23 miler, before tapering.

Plus where I live it's not particularly flat so working for 2+ hours at just outside marathon pace (or 80% marathon pace effort) up and down the country roads is a really solid "quality" day banked. Then when it comes to racing on the flat, marathon pace "should" feel slightly easier.

Sunday's 20 miler was #2. Depending on the London Marathon's final decision due on Friday that might be my last "quality" long effort for a while. If it's on, I'll have around 5 more to do :eek:

That sounds very similar to my own plan, alternating weeks of 20 then 15milers at about 7:56 pace - which I failed miserably at this week :lolol: The run itself was fine - just the pace was an issue.

I'm going to persist irrespective of what the eventual plans for Brighton Marathon are, as I am some way off my best.

Last edited:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
That sounds very similar to my own plan, alternating weeks of 20 then 15milers at about 7:56 pace - which I failed miserably at this week :lolol: The run itself was fine - just the pace was an issue.

I'm going to persist irrespective of what the eventual plans for Brighton Marathon are, as I am some way off my best.

Nice work! :thumbsup:

Although it's hard, I find it's best not to get too hung up if we don't hit certain paces on our long runs. They are already "hard" efforts and I think the main thing is being able to get them safely banked and then recover as best we can. Just running for the particular duration is super valuable volume that has huge benefits whether we hit our goal paces or not. There's always next week too. :smile:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Hey guys, just thought I'd throw another running related book into the mix. "Shoe Dog" a memoir by the creator of Nike, Phil Knight which was first published in 2016 just after he stepped down as CEO of Nike, Inc.

It's an absolutely fascinating read and packed with brilliant tales and storytelling of his turbulent success from the early 60's, a pretty decent athlete leaving business school with his "Crazy Idea" (importing Japanese running shoes) through to the early 80's with Nike going public (the same week as Apple...). Highly recommended if you're not already aware of it!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoe-Dog-M...back+–+3+May+2018&qid=1596471437&sr=8-1-fkmr0

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
The NSC running club on Strava is great fun, as long as you don't look at [MENTION=11816]Artie Fulkin[/MENTION]'s efforts > https://www.strava.com/clubs/northstandchat

Joined the party.

I have never been a good long distance runner and I think I have run just around 200-300k after my military service in 2002... Tried to start running around 2012-13 and as I didn't like to run (hobble) the way fat guys do and I didn't have any knowlage or HRM equipment I ran constantly in red and it didn't go very well.

During the pandemic and all that WFH-thing I decided that I needed to move more. Starting from May I have run ca 400k and even though I am slow I try to stick with the Garmin training plan for improving my fitness and keeping my heart rate down (for most of the time, once I didn't follow the instructions to keep it in Z4 I finished 10k with a PB that's quite respectable for me though).

Hope you guys keep me motivated! Especially when it starts pouring rain and snowing in this part of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here