Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
A glorious run over the Downs with the hound this morning as my knee continues to improve. Slow and steady seems to be fine, and I'm happy with that.

The run brought up 1,000 miles for the year (which I've never done before) and also 50,000 feet of climbing.

View attachment 126242

Fantastic volume Bozza! Congrats on hitting a new annual mileage peak in July! :thumbsup: It's quite amazing how you are able to run through the knee niggles and come out the other side time and again.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
A solid 18 mile long run at a decent clip this morning for me. Still chipping away with the very slim chance of London taking place but thoroughly enjoying the miles anyway so all's good.

Have a nice weekend of running guys! :thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry to hear of your discomfort Gaffer. :down: Take it easy and rest well.

Thanks. I'm quite happy it's only giving me a little reminder and not going to take a full hold this time.
Glad I virtually sneaked in an all time best AG just before, a 5:56 mile and a best 5K for 2 years. That will do for 2020 but hope to better them before Xmas.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fantastic volume Bozza! Congrats on hitting a new annual mileage peak in July! :thumbsup: It's quite amazing how you are able to run through the knee niggles and come out the other side time and again.

Thanks - I'm setting my stretch goal for 2020 miles in 2020. If I carry on at my current c180 miles/month I'll be there or thereabouts.

My knee is a funny one. I've had it three times over the last few months. If I hadn't got through the first occurrence, I'd not have the confidence to push on through for the subsequent two times.

I need to get to the bottom of what's causing it, because it is annoying, not to mention painful. At the beginning of this week, I was walking with a massive limp, but it's gradually improved. I'm going to have a few more days of taking it very easy before I try upping my pace again.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Some good mileage across the group of late.

I had a go at the Virtual Phoenix 10k Thursday night.

Was in two minds to give it a go as Achilles is tight and this was my 5th run in 6 days with a football match on the other one.

39:03 which is ok but I’ll be all the better for it. I typically find my 10k times improve as I run more of them in races.

Usually I’d run 10k’s at Phoenix, Trailblazer, Littlehampton & Arena in the space of 3 months so by the time the Brighton 10k comes along in November I’m in pb shape.

The positive for me is that every mile got quicker and it’s the quickest time I’ve run for the Phoenix 10k so for this time of year I’m in good form.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Was fantastic to be able to get out for a proper organised event this morning, even thouhh I did get completely lost looking for one of the checkpoints and finished 20 minutes over the 2 hour cutoff time!
Same again in 3 weeks, can't wait!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Thanks - I'm setting my stretch goal for 2020 miles in 2020. If I carry on at my current c180 miles/month I'll be there or thereabouts.

My knee is a funny one. I've had it three times over the last few months. If I hadn't got through the first occurrence, I'd not have the confidence to push on through for the subsequent two times.

I need to get to the bottom of what's causing it, because it is annoying, not to mention painful. At the beginning of this week, I was walking with a massive limp, but it's gradually improved. I'm going to have a few more days of taking it very easy before I try upping my pace again.

Take it easy Bozza, we need you in one piece! :)

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Some good mileage across the group of late.

I had a go at the Virtual Phoenix 10k Thursday night.

Was in two minds to give it a go as Achilles is tight and this was my 5th run in 6 days with a football match on the other one.

39:03 which is ok but I’ll be all the better for it. I typically find my 10k times improve as I run more of them in races.

Usually I’d run 10k’s at Phoenix, Trailblazer, Littlehampton & Arena in the space of 3 months so by the time the Brighton 10k comes along in November I’m in pb shape.

The positive for me is that every mile got quicker and it’s the quickest time I’ve run for the Phoenix 10k so for this time of year I’m in good form.

Great stuff mate! :thumbsup:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Terrible news last night.found out that Alice, who I had my Arena track induction with at Withdean nearly 3 years ago suddenly died a few weeks ago. She was full of energy and joy. She became diabetic a year or so ago but was coping fine with medication.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...g-alcohol-stomach-triggers-rare-reaction.html

She will be missed by many.

Very sad. I saw something on Twitter and presumed it was going to be someone a lot older. When I checked her Strava profile I was shocked to see she was only 27.

Terrible news.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I ran a bloody 10k (sort of) race!

Sussex Trail Events has set up a virtual version of Beat The Tide, so I headed down to the Beach (during the lowest of low tides) this morning and bashed out those 6.22 miles on the sand, plus the bit of path to the turn point that is used in the actual race. It was glorious, but was never going to break any records: 49:02 and wet feet at the line.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Managed my first run for 2 weeks. A crappy 23.52 5k - but I could have shaved a bit off in the white hot heat of a race! Very hot out there today.

One man's crappy is another man's unbelievable.

I couldn't even dream of a sub-24min 5k.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Managed my first run for 2 weeks. A crappy 23.52 5k - but I could have shaved a bit off in the white hot heat of a race! Very hot out there today.

I love running in the heat.

I'm still struggling along with my knee so no speed at all really.

I had fun yesterday afternoon though on a short-ish trail run up to Cissbury Ring. I turned the corner for what is a long ascent that starts off quite steeply. There were three mountain bikers who had come from another direction, and were starting up the same hill. Their speed was about the same as mine and, not wanting to be stuck behind them, I overtook figuring they'd soon come by me. About halfway up the hill I turned round to see them still about 50 metres behind, at which point I decided I didn't want to be overtaken so I put in more effort as the gradient shallowed off and managed to beat them to the top.

As I've never raced, it was very possibly the first competitive buzz I've had when running.

I was sure that the "race" would mean my time for the hill, which is a Strava segment, would be my best to date but it turns out I'd been faster by 19 seconds back in April - I must have been in good form that day.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One man's crappy is another man's unbelievable.

I couldn't even dream of a sub-24min 5k.

I don't know how much you run, but given the weight you've lost, I reckon you could see some great 5km improvements if you put your mind to it.

I can recall when 8 minute miles required me to be absolutely busting a gut, whereas now they are low-effort cruising speed.

My 5km PB is 20:14, which I recorded twice a few months ago, and I'm sure I've got sub-20s in me once I get my niggly knee sorted out.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Awful week at work this week (restructuring discussions etc) so very short of time, but messing around with the Centurion 'One up' virtual event when I can, just to do something a bit different. Essentially how much elevation can you do in a week of running. Expecting to be injured by the weekend if I can put a few hours in :lolol::lolol::lolol: Already seeing some people put in ridiculous efforts (one guy did 29,000ft yesterday - 17 hours and 50 miles of reps on a single hill)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here