Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
An all time PW from me today: 29 mins for a 5k. It was a bit hilly, but come on. No excuses either. Am tempted to start a PW sub-thread - and even to request that the Gaffer starts a bespoke table.

[I'll be top of that table!
Been swimming and got a strained neck, foot ached around toes from last run, back went stiff the other day. Stopped all fitness and got on with painting and my left thumb became swollen from holding the tin of paint for an hour,.All low pain levels and should be gone soon.
Thought I needed help so I have a TENS machine coming tomorrow.https://tensmachineuk.com/premier-t...j89EcdFF82Rz5n22H9tMCAaXPUkcVVysaAunLEALw_wcB
A transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator that sends electrical pulses through the skin to start the body's own pain killers. The electrical pulses can release endorphins and other substances to stop pain signals in the brain.Allegedly. Useful for me to have and they can also be used for sports injuries. I'll report back on it's running recovery abilities in due course.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The current weather here can be described as "stepping into an oven", so running isn't particularly enjoyable at the moment. I've been trying to go out in the mornings at around 8am, which is about as early as I've been able to drag myself out of bed recently. Yesterday it was already 25C (feels like 30C) when I got out.

On the plus side, I'm still managing to keep a good pace and having no injury issues. I just turn into a sweaty mess after about 3k!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
[I'll be top of that table!
Been swimming and got a strained neck, foot ached around toes from last run, back went stiff the other day. Stopped all fitness and got on with painting and my left thumb became swollen from holding the tin of paint for an hour,.All low pain levels and should be gone soon.
Thought I needed help so I have a TENS machine coming tomorrow.https://tensmachineuk.com/premier-t...j89EcdFF82Rz5n22H9tMCAaXPUkcVVysaAunLEALw_wcB
A transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator that sends electrical pulses through the skin to start the body's own pain killers. The electrical pulses can release endorphins and other substances to stop pain signals in the brain.Allegedly. Useful for me to have and they can also be used for sports injuries. I'll report back on it's running recovery abilities in due course.

You'd still kick my a@se - as long as you could lift your leg up that far.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
Today is a new shoe day. Just taken delivery of the Hoka Carbon X SPE's. Unsure on the look, feels like im wearing some circus like platforms walking round the flat but intrigued to see what they run like.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Dear experienced runners,

So, I did a 10k the other day, on a bit of a whim. Silly, I know. The last 2k my hips felt like they were ground down to the bone, and I'm still aching and slightly struggling with certain things like climbing down stairs.

Is this purely a dehydration thing? Weight wise I'm 13 and a half stone so no doubt doing a bit of a number on the joints, should I just leave 10ks for now or is it more about making sure I'm very well hydrated beforehand? Don't want to do further damage.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

So, I did a 10k the other day, on a bit of a whim. Silly, I know. The last 2k my hips felt like they were ground down to the bone, and I'm still aching and slightly struggling with certain things like climbing down stairs.

Is this purely a dehydration thing? Weight wise I'm 13 and a half stone so no doubt doing a bit of a number on the joints, should I just leave 10ks for now or is it more about making sure I'm very well hydrated beforehand? Don't want to do further damage.

Running shoes?
Stretching?
Stamina?
Steady increase in time on your feet?/Distance?
Weight?
Diet?

Yes, it might be hydration. 😧

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Running shoes?
Stretching?
Stamina?
Steady increase in time on your feet?/Distance?
Weight?
Diet?

Yes, it might be hydration. 😧

Running shoes - decent ones
Stretching - probably don’t stretch as much as I should, fair point.
Stamina - generally not too bad. I didn’t feel tired breathing wise, just my joints packing up.
Steady increase - no, it was probably too much of a jump, usually don’t do more than 5-6ks.
Weight - 13 and a half, 5’10”. So on the heavy side but not horrendous.
Diet - fairly decent generally, slightly worse last couple of days.

Thanks though, worth having this checklist in my head.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Citystrides still adding my last 7 years of Strava runs onto a map. Has just found the Moyleman to go with the Three Forts. Looks like I’ll have to do the Beachy Head marathon sometime to spread further into East Sussex.
5C33E746-C7F0-425F-839F-A69FC2A76756.jpeg
2E5058C6-3B98-41DF-8EA9-3CA4149C2B5D.png

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Today is a new shoe day. Just taken delivery of the Hoka Carbon X SPE's. Unsure on the look, feels like im wearing some circus like platforms walking round the flat but intrigued to see what they run like.

I like running in the first iteration, the Carbon X, and have them in my shoe rotation. I think [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] is a fan too. They have the nice Hoka "rocker" feel. I think they've made a few changes to the upper in the SPE's which has made them just a little tad heavier but haven't played around with the midsole or outsole. A lovely 5mm drop carbon plate shoe!

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I like running in the first iteration, the Carbon X, and have them in my shoe rotation. I think [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] is a fan too. They have the nice Hoka "rocker" feel. I think they've made a few changes to the upper in the SPE's which has made them just a little tad heavier but haven't played around with the midsole or outsole. A lovely 5mm drop carbon plate shoe!

Initial impression was that I really liked them, albeit i'm very much a novice when it comes to the 'nicer' running shoes and these are the first pair i've splashed out on so not much to compare on. When I did the 1miler on the weekend I borrowed my brother's spikes and they completely fried my achilles.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Initial impression was that I really liked them, albeit i'm very much a novice when it comes to the 'nicer' running shoes and these are the first pair i've splashed out on so not much to compare on. When I did the 1miler on the weekend I borrowed my brother's spikes and they completely fried my achilles.

You've picked a great shoe! Hoka are known for their really comfortable low drop shoes. As they have the carbon fibre plate I use mine mostly for tempo and threshold days along with the Nike Peg Turbo 2's which are an awesome 10mm drop shoe (no plate).

I like to rotate most days between the different drops in my shoes to give the achilles and calves a change from one day to the next.

Yeah spikes will definitely get you going but the achilles may not be happy with you after a while with the little support. They're not made for comfort. :smile:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Just a (simple?) case of overdoing it perhaps. If you're not used to running this distance it can still reach parts that shorter runs don't reach. For some of us, this could kick in at mile 20 of a marathon; for a new runner it could be after 3k. It could be simply your body telling you 'enough!'. Give it a bit of a rest and then build up gently (says the man with an ice-pack on his Achilles!).

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Have kept running 40-50 miles a week after my Kenya plans for the year went pop. Am now over 1,100 for the year and well on schedule to break 2,000 before it’s done.

I’ve never been a fast runner but the difference in my conditioning after all these miles is remarkable. Just got back in from a lovely 18 miler along the Basingstoke Canal, Wey Navigation and onto the Thames. Got home in 2:44. Strava told me I did the same run last September in 3:24. Amazed to find I’ve lopped 40 minutes off the same run.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Citystrides still adding my last 7 years of Strava runs onto a map. Has just found the Moyleman to go with the Three Forts. Looks like I’ll have to do the Beachy Head marathon sometime to spread further into East Sussex.
View attachment 125935
View attachment 125934

You should do Beachy anyway, Gaffer. Before I ran Moyleman it was my favourite race!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Question on running shoes if I may.

Went to a running shop and got fitted up with Brooks GTS18

Been great but have now run a hole into them.

My question is , if i got a GTS19 or 20 are they the same set up ie would be the right fit for my foot / gate ( sp?)

Otherwise , guess just will get gts 18 again

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

18:04 5K just now for my entry into the league. 30 second PB!

I feel like there's a relationship between these 2 posts :p
Fantastic time though, congrats :clap2:

Last night was up there with one of the hottest runs I've ever done. I went out at 8pm thinking it might have cooled down a little. I was wrong. It was 30C (felt like 38C with the humidity) and I managed a very sweaty 10k trying to keep to the shady trails. I don't normally carry water on a short run but very glad I made the decision to take my handheld bottle last night.

I'm suddenly very happy they cancelled the September Boston date. Obviously there's other reasons I'm happy not to be travelling south of the border too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here