Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Despite our youngest waking me up at 4am leaving me unable to get back to sleep I decided to stick to this morning's plan to log a time for the 5k virtual time trial and run over to the Cassiobury parkrun course for a 5k blast out.

It was great fun to get some speed into the legs but frustratingly Garmin recorded it as quite a bit short (3.02 miles) so I don't think my time of 17:10 can be considered a valid for the board. :down:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3672740214/overview

Anyway the most pleasing thing is that I felt pretty good with the hard effort, without any real speed work at the moment and higher weekly mileage / running every day, and super happy with the even mile pacing (5:45 / 5:38 / 5:39) and not falling away in the last mile.

I'll have another crack at it in a couple of weeks and hopefully record an eligible time!

Great speed Art. Does Garmin Connect give a full 5k?

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
I did a 5km run the other morning in a pretty slow time of 23:22.....first run out for about two months. I only have it recorded on my fitbit app though. Does that count as a virtual time?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Nice run out by [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] and he enters the virtual fray.

NAME NSC 5K NSC 5K AG NSC 3K NSC 3K AG
Big Nuts 18:16 74.72% 10:45 72.19%
Badger 18:58 70.3%
knocky 20:46 77.23%
Simgull 21:0772.17%
GNT 21:24(W) 78.38% (W) 12:52 74.11%
Greg Bobkin 21:27 64.8%
Bob! 24:00 67.42%

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
Fitzcarraldo 76.04% 4:53
GNT 75.37% 6:24
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Penny's Harmonica 71.35% 6:025
Ninja 69.89% 5:21
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39
Dazzer6666 68.13% 6:26

How can I get involved? I have a Garmin connect 19:31 for 5k (69.77%) during one of my runs with a fastest mile of 6:04 (64.23%)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I did a 5km run the other morning in a pretty slow time of 23:22.....first run out for about two months. I only have it recorded on my fitbit app though. Does that count as a virtual time?

Yes it certainly does! Welcome aboard.

Seagull Si 23:22

Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
How can I get involved? I have a Garmin connect 19:31 for 5k (69.77%) during one of my runs with a fastest mile of 6:04 (64.23%)

Welcome aboard. Sorry I forgot to do yours earlier in the week. The mile needs to be from a standing start. was it?

Indurain's Lungs 19:31 69.77%

Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Welcome aboard. Sorry I forgot to do yours earlier in the week. The mile needs to be from a standing start. was it?

Indurain's Lungs 19:31 69.77%

Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22

Thanks. No, the mile was just in the middle of the run. 5k was the first 5k though (standing start).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wished i did like running in the heat, but to me I get that feeling that my head has been in the oven, the rest of me is fine.
It was the same playing football early season as I much preferred a wet day so I could get some slide on my tackle!

Doesn't your head get to boiling point?

It's 3 hours after my run and I still look sunburnt!

An interesting read on the science of running when it's hot >>> https://www.outsideonline.com/24147...&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Revue newsletter

seagull_si

Jul 8, 2011
Peacehaven
I used an online calculator to work out my 5k AG% and it comes out as 60.21%. Fastest 1 mile in recent times is 7.08.

Looking forward to getting these times down a bit in the coming weeks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Odd week. Suffering from dry-retching really badly when putting any kind of effort in. Wondering if this is due to coffee intake prior to running......anyone experienced similar ?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I remember you’ve had that over the recent years. Found this but it’s not really relevant considering your level of fitness. https://www.runnersworld.com/health-injuries/a20801934/coping-with-postrun-dry-heaves/

Thanks...yes, it’s intermittent though, and only happens at high intensity. Wondering if it might be that pre-run strong coffee so going to try without that on my next effort session. As for fitness, could be that - might be running too hard for my current lardy self [emoji849]

Jimmy Grimble

Before I write anything else, I would just like to say this thread has been a great read for me during lockdown. It’s been interesting to read people’s individual stories and also been motivational for me to get running, through both reading of your updates and through the 5k table which I was (and still am at some point) hoping to get myself onto. So thank you all for that.

Please forgive me for now indulging in my lockdown running tale before asking for your help...

It started around the time of the run 5, donate 5, nominate 5 in support of the NHS. Having seen lots getting involved in that, I was interested to see what my 5k time would be. On the 28th April I did it and ran it in 26:33. I was disappointed and surprised with that as I’ve always thought of myself as being fit; I play football, cricket and golf and always fared pretty well in cross country runs at school. With this in mind and while regularly checking in on this thread I decided I wanted to improve.

I never set myself a target time or followed a plan; I just went on casual runs here and there (5-10k in distance) and did HIIT sessions while they were in the in thing with Joe Wicks. Every couple of weeks amongst that I ran for a PB 5k and - to cut a long story short - ran it in 21:48 on the 19th June. After that, I decided I would set myself a target of 21:33 and attempt it today as it would be 2 months on from my first run and represent an improvement of 5 minutes. I felt confident of achieving it as each time I ran for a PB I felt as though I had something left in the tank.

Unfortunately, on Friday I went for a 10k run along the seafront and at around the 7k mark felt quite a pain on the outside of my right knee. I’d felt the same on my left knee on a previous run, but just ran through the pain and felt fine afterwards. As such, I thought I’d do the same again. However, at the end of this run the pain was much worse. To the point where once I got home I could barely walk; getting up and down the stairs was a real pain. Even now, 2 days on, I’m still suffering. It’s not as bad as it was but I still can’t put real pressure on it and walking upstairs is still painful.

Obviously this has meant I can’t run but I really would like to get going again as soon as is reasonably possible. To do so I’m hoping some of you guys can give me some tips for recovering. My self-diagnosis through Google is that it’s linked to my iliotibial band. There are lots of suggestions out there but I trust the good folk of this thread more than I do the wider web. I’ve never really suffered an injury from sport before so this is new and very unwelcome territory. I’ve purchased a foam roller but am unsure if I should be using it for this or not.

Thanks in advance to those of you who read to the end!

Last edited:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Before I write anything else, I would just like to say this thread has been a great read for me during lockdown. It’s been interesting to read people’s individual stories and also been motivational for me to get running, through both reading of your updates and through the 5k table which I was (and still am at some point) hoping to get myself onto. So thank you all for that.

Please forgive me for now indulging in my lockdown running tale before asking for your help...

It started around the time of the run 5, donate 5, nominate 5 in support of the NHS. Having seen lots getting involved in that, I was interested to see what my 5k time would be. On the 28th April I did it and ran it in 26:33. I was disappointed and surprised with that as I’ve always thought of myself as being fit; I play football, cricket and golf and always fared pretty well in cross country runs at school. With this in mind and while regularly checking in on this thread I decided I wanted to improve.

I never set myself a target time or followed a plan; I just went on casual runs here and there (5-10k in distance) and did HIIT sessions while they were in the in thing with Joe Wicks. Every couple of weeks amongst that I ran for a PB 5k and - to cut a long story short - ran it in 21:48 on the 19th June. After that, I decided I would set myself a target of 21:33 and attempt it today as it would be 2 months on from my first run and represent an improvement of 5 minutes. I felt confident of achieving it as each time I ran for a PB I felt as though I had something left in the tank.

Unfortunately, on Friday I went for a 10k run along the seafront and at around the 7k mark felt quite a pain on the outside of my right knee. I’d felt the same on my left knee on a previous run, but just ran through the pain and felt fine afterwards. As such, I thought I’d do the same again. However, at the end of this run the pain was much worse. To the point where once I got home I could barely walk; getting up and down the stairs was a real pain. Even now, 2 days on, I’m still suffering. It’s not as bad as it was but I still can’t put real pressure on it and walking upstairs is still painful.

Obviously this has meant I can’t run but I really would like to get going again as soon as is reasonably possible. To do so I’m hoping some of you guys can give me some tips for recovering. My self-diagnosis through Google is that it’s linked to my iliotibial band. There are lots of suggestions out there but I trust the good folk of this thread more than I do the wider web. I’ve never really suffered an injury from sport before so this is new and very unwelcome territory. I’ve purchased a foam roller but am unsure if I should be using it for this or not.

Welcome and well done - that’s a tremendous improvement. ITB problems very common in runners and often underlying cause of other issues. Stretching and rolling is key. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] will recommend the seated pigeon stretch.
However after diagnosis is risky - if you still feel pain whilst stretching I would stop and call a physio- many are doing on line appointments.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Great work on knocking that time down. Must have been good fun.
Sounds like you are beyond the stage of stretching it out for the knees and need sports massage or rest till better which could be 2-3 weeks. If it's IT Band, running on it would seem to tighten it up each time. Can't really help beyond that. Enjoy the rest you won't lose to much as your head knows what you can achieve now.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

If it is ITB then an important part of your rehab needs to be strengthening your glute muscles. Another thing I’d look at is your shoes. How many miles and are they proper running shoes?

Grass based running also better whilst you’re working your way back.

Jimmy Grimble

Welcome and well done - that’s a tremendous improvement. ITB problems very common in runners and often underlying cause of other issues. Stretching and rolling is key. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] will recommend the seated pigeon stretch.
However after diagnosis is risky - if you still feel pain whilst stretching I would stop and call a physio- many are doing on line appointments.

Thanks. I have tried the pigeon stretch and didn’t feel any pain around the knee so I guess that it is a positive.

Great work on knocking that time down. Must have been good fun.
Sounds like you are beyond the stage of stretching it out for the knees and need sports massage or rest till better which could be 2-3 weeks. If it's IT Band, running on it would seem to tighten it up each time. Can't really help beyond that. Enjoy the rest you won't lose to much as your head knows what you can achieve now.

It was good fun, yeah. My only worry (until now) was getting to a point where I plateaued with my times and finding motivation to keep improving.

I’ll look into a sports massage, thanks.

If it is ITB then an important part of your rehab needs to be strengthening your glute muscles. Another thing I’d look at is your shoes. How many miles and are they proper running shoes?

Grass based running also better whilst you’re working your way back.

Is it possible to strengthen my glutes whilst the knee is bad? I’ve always had tight (and probably weak) glutes so I was curious if they might be linked to the injury.

I purchased the shoes about a month ago - they are running shoes so hopefully nothing to do with them.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I've had a few itb issues over the years (amongst most other injuries!). ITB would usually be felt "below" the knee in the outside. Sounds like you've done some Internet research but if any doubt then see a physio for diagnosis so you know what to address. If it is ITB then a couole of things:

- foam roller is a must. Plenty of youtube videos around about it. Make sure to work TFL muscle as well which, if tight, pulls on the band and affects tracking

- the answer to most things running is stronger glutes but it can be tricky to get then firing even if very strong. Every one is different but hip bridges, walking lunges and single leg dead lifts/hinges are good.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Also, don't know if others have noticed but there's a saucony challenge on Strava. Break your 5k record next week and you can win their full range of new trainers.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Went out for a blast today from standing start. Wind was very tough but managed to clock these times on the way to a 39:11 10k. Bit gutted to just miss the 19 minute mark and the 70% for 5k. Hamstrings are super tight now though!

1st Mile - 5:58 (65.31%)
1st 3k - 11:15 (68.46%)
1st 5k - 19:01 (69.68%)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here