Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

D

Deleted member 2719

***Warning, it's hot out there.

20c humid little breeze is not my ideal running temperature, never has been and never will be!

Just done some faster interval work this morning and my face is as red as a postbox.

Does anyone like running in this weather???

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
***Warning, it's hot out there.

20c humid little breeze is not my ideal running temperature, never has been and never will be!

Just done some faster interval work this morning and my face is as red as a postbox.

Does anyone like running in this weather???

I’m someone who doesn’t like the weather too hot day-to-day. Give me 18 degrees with a light breeze and I’m happy.

However, for sone reason I love running when it’s hot. I went out at the hottest part of the day yesterday for six miles. Bumbled along for three, upper the effort for the next two and then eased off for the last bit home.

Overall just over six miles @ 7:38/mile.

I guess I wouldn’t want to run a long distance in the heat, particularly as I don’t take fluids with me, but for a short sharp run I really enjoy it.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Been ****** from my 5k effort. Last day for June’s PP Magic Mile tomorrow. The Gasson has set a 5:45 target today. That gives me 11 seconds to find (no Vaporfly last time!). See how I feel in the morning after a bottle of red before making a decision for a virtual 80%. Body says no and so does the head, so it’s all down to the football and the wine to give me a lift.

Anyone interested in this? Especially the West Sussex boys.
View attachment 125241

I ran this for the first time last year. Great course and event and a good one for people to run if local. It’s massively challenging with mile 2 having in excess of a 400 foot climb.

Once you reach the top then you get some great views before a steep downhill section to home.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just tried a mile effort. The Vaporfly were 20 seconds slower than the Asic Hyperspeed 6. Coming in at 6:15. Legs are still shot from Saturday so I sat back by a few seconds but had nothing at all. a big F.

I'm having GPS problems with the Garmin35. Not finding them before starting and todays run was registered as a treadmill. Any ideas how to sort it out?

D

Deleted member 2719

I’m someone who doesn’t like the weather too hot day-to-day. Give me 18 degrees with a light breeze and I’m happy.

However, for sone reason I love running when it’s hot. I went out at the hottest part of the day yesterday for six miles. Bumbled along for three, upper the effort for the next two and then eased off for the last bit home.

Overall just over six miles @ 7:38/mile.

I guess I wouldn’t want to run a long distance in the heat, particularly as I don’t take fluids with me, but for a short sharp run I really enjoy it.

I wished i did like running in the heat, but to me I get that feeling that my head has been in the oven, the rest of me is fine.
It was the same playing football early season as I much preferred a wet day so I could get some slide on my tackle!

Doesn't your head get to boiling point?

It's 3 hours after my run and I still look sunburnt!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Another one who struggled in the heat today. By 8.00 it was getting uncomfortable and the stiff easterly didn't really help. 5k (set out to do 7k) in 23.30, horrible.

Gaffer - is that you done for June then, in the chasing-down-Gasson-mile (i,e the Arena challenge)?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another one who struggled in the heat today. By 8.00 it was getting uncomfortable and the stiff easterly didn't really help. 5k (set out to do 7k) in 23.30, horrible.

Gaffer - is that you done for June then, in the chasing-down-Gasson-mile (i,e the Arena challenge)?

Yes. All done. It's not Arena but the Preston Park guys fun challenge.John Jaap being the gaffer. Problem for me in chasing a time is that I need 3 days rest before and 3 days rest after. End result is a measly 5K in 7 days. So I sorely need to get some mileage under the belt over the next few weeks. Todays effort has left me regenerated after only going 95%.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yes. All done. It's not Arena but the Preston Park guys fun challenge.John Jaap being the gaffer. Problem for me in chasing a time is that I need 3 days rest before and 3 days rest after. End result is a measly 5K in 7 days. So I sorely need to get some mileage under the belt over the next few weeks. Todays effort has left me regenerated after only going 95%.

Thanks for the clarification. You really do seem to empty the tank after maxing out. Meanwhile, my rowing 5k time is now better than my running one on occasions; a PB on the erg doesn't seem to take anything like the toll (muscles, 'joints', energy levels and all) of a run.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I'm really enjoying getting out in the warm and sunny mornings, as long as I'm back by around 9:30am-ish. Just bopping along and keeping to a low heart rate. It was gorgeous down by the lake and through the woods this morning on my easy 80 minute run.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just tried a mile effort. The Vaporfly were 20 seconds slower than the Asic Hyperspeed 6. Coming in at 6:15. Legs are still shot from Saturday so I sat back by a few seconds but had nothing at all. a big F.

I'm having GPS problems with the Garmin35. Not finding them before starting and todays run was registered as a treadmill. Any ideas how to sort it out?

Buy a new toy to replace it :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Maybe it needs an update Gaffer? If I find a glitch I normally go for the "have you tried turning if off and on again?" approach first and it seems to sort out any fuzziness.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Buy a new toy to replace it :thumbsup:
That’s what she said. Probably fed up with me moaning.

Maybe it needs an update Gaffer? If I find a glitch I normally go for the "have you tried turning if off and on again?" approach first and it seems to sort out any fuzziness.

Thanks.
Fully updated, on and off 3 times and a reset. All did zilch.

Just left it on at the allotment and it eventually found the location. Hopefully ok now.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
That’s what she said. Probably fed up with me moaning.

Thanks.
Fully updated, on and off 3 times and a reset. All did zilch.

Just left it on at the allotment and it eventually found the location. Hopefully ok now.

I've had a few GPS issues with my Garmin 235 recently. Every now and again it will have a couple of weeks of struggling to find a GPS signal at the start of my runs. Just when I think there might something wrong with the watch it starts working perfectly again. I do think it's better if the battery is fully charged, so I guess that could become an issue as the battery wears out over the years.

A guy in my running group reviews GPS watches and he did a talk on it over Zoom a few weeks. He was saying new watches don't necessarily give you better GPS tracking. In the pursuit of making them smaller they might actually have worse GPS tracking than previous models. Also, more expensive watches use exactly the same GPS chips as the cheaper models.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What are the rules for getting on the 5k table? I did an 8k virtual race from a standing start today, having a second crack at the race I did last month. The first 5k came in at 18:58 which would give me an AG of 70.3%. The final 5k was actually faster (18:48) but I'm guessing that's not allowed.

Yes, I did use my cheating Nike Vaporfly 4%s.

Congratulations to our all day and all nighters.

An update for the table with my 5k. A bit fuzzy headed today and legs on fire so a few easy days ahead.

NAME NSC 5K NSC 5K AG NSC 3K NSC 3K AG
Big Nuts 18:16 74.72% 10:45 72.19%
knocky 20:46 77.23%
Simgull 21:0772.17%
GNT 21:24(W) 78.38% (W) 12:52 74.11%
Greg Bobkin 21:27 64.8%
Bob! 24:00 67.42%

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I realise this is pathologically boring but could anyone possibly recommend a good pair of loud earphones for running with? I find the bog standard Apple ones too quiet to listen to podcasts on (admittedly having spent decades standing next to speakers, which has drastically impaired the receptive abilities of my lugholes) but am a peasant so can't spent loads. I quite liked Taotronics in-ears but lost about five pairs and can't remember if they were loud/had an option to increase the volume.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I realise this is pathologically boring but could anyone possibly recommend a good pair of loud earphones for running with? I find the bog standard Apple ones too quiet to listen to podcasts on (admittedly having spent decades standing next to speakers, which has drastically impaired the receptive abilities of my lugholes) but am a peasant so can't spent loads. I quite liked Taotronics in-ears but lost about five pairs and can't remember if they were loud/had an option to increase the volume.

Not a recommendation based on personal experience, because I don't use them, but someone I know was saying how Aftershokz are meant to be the dog's genitals of running earphones. Lightweight, comfortable and sound quality is amazing. Plus you can wear them in races because they sit outside your ear or something?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nice run out by [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] and he enters the virtual fray.

NAME NSC 5K NSC 5K AG NSC 3K NSC 3K AG
Big Nuts 18:16 74.72% 10:45 72.19%
Badger 18:58 70.3%
knocky 20:46 77.23%
Simgull 21:0772.17%
GNT 21:24(W) 78.38% (W) 12:52 74.11%
Greg Bobkin 21:27 64.8%
Bob! 24:00 67.42%

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
Fitzcarraldo 76.04% 4:53
GNT 75.37% 6:24
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Penny's Harmonica 71.35% 6:025
Ninja 69.89% 5:21
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39
Dazzer6666 68.13% 6:26

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wished i did like running in the heat, but to me I get that feeling that my head has been in the oven, the rest of me is fine.
It was the same playing football early season as I much preferred a wet day so I could get some slide on my tackle!

Doesn't your head get to boiling point?

Not at all, no, and I wear a cap too, although generally backwards in a way that I'm sure is entirely wrong for a man of my advancing years.

I went out yesterday when Accuweather/BBC said it was 31 degrees and ran six miles. Strava which adds weather to my runs said it was a mere 26 degrees.

I wonder if it's because I'm naturally hot-bodied anyway, but I certainly don't feel like I'm over-heating.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I use AirPods (well singular AirPod, because one won't charge any more) or the same standard Apple earbuds that you are and I don't have a problem with volume for podcasts, radio and music.

Have you checked your settings to see if you have a limiter on?

Settings > Music > Volume Limit - make sure EU Volume Limit is "OFF" and Max Volume is at the max.

You might want to also check Settings > Music > EQ - there is a "Vocal Booster" setting and "Loudness" too.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Despite our youngest waking me up at 4am leaving me unable to get back to sleep I decided to stick to this morning's plan to log a time for the 5k virtual time trial and run over to the Cassiobury parkrun course for a 5k blast out.

It was great fun to get some speed into the legs but frustratingly Garmin recorded it as quite a bit short (3.02 miles) so I don't think my time of 17:10 can be considered a valid for the board. :down:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3672740214/overview

Anyway the most pleasing thing is that I felt pretty good with the hard effort, without any real speed work at the moment and higher weekly mileage / running every day, and super happy with the even mile pacing (5:45 / 5:38 / 5:39) and not falling away in the last mile.

I'll have another crack at it in a couple of weeks and hopefully record an eligible time!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here