Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Started reading today and around 60 pages in. Loving it so far, really interesting to read about the different theories as time has gone on.

I’m a firm believer incentive is a key driver to pushing yourself beyond barriers. Having ability definitely helps but you need a strong mind as well as body to be a top runner.

Looking forward to getting stuck back into it over the weekend.

Great stuff mate! Glad you're enjoying it. I found all of the theories really fascinating. Good luck with the virtual team relay today. :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Given the no. of days you run, to be surprised by a shit run is remarkable really......it’s not uncommon in my experience to simply have an unexplained bad run, followed by an equally unexpected great run.......[emoji106]

.....and on that, I’m off out shortly for my ‘virtual race’. [emoji33]

All the very best dazzer! :bowdown:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
It's now official, I won't be running a marathon this year. Boston has now switched to a virtual race and I have no interest in running that kind of distance on my own. Thankfully they'll still accept my qualifying time to apply for next year. So, it looks like I'll be running Boston in April 2021. Of course there's no guarantee that will happen but I'm hopeful.

Meanwhile, it's going to be a summer of shorter runs with the odd virtual race thrown in to keep things interesting and help support race organisers.

Gutted for you Badger. Hopefully you'll be able to make the date next year and running Boston in 2021 will be even more epic! :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Strangely shit run yesterday - cruising along for three miles and then suddenly felt drained, to the point I just jogged it home with every stride feeling horrible.

Today, I wasn't feeling like running at all, but having run 119 days I can't just stop because I don't fancy it much.

I was determined it wasn't going to be another shit run, so thought I'd aim for 5 miles at 7:30 pace, but actually ran 7:10 pace, which is only a few seconds off my 10km best to quickly revive the confidence I'd lost yesterday.

As [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] says it's usual that some days we feel ridiculously sluggish for no apparent reason and then the next day it just feels super comfortable and we're cruising. I think it's all part of the body's load absorption and adaptation process Bozza.

Always best to listen to the body on any given day when it comes to effort and sticking with it on our bad days make the good days even more fun. :thumbsup:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
4.92 miles covered in 30 minutes which beating in mind the heat with a 2pm start I’m very pleased with.

Longer, slower run tomorrow but should pass 50 miles for the week for the second time ever, whilst also surpassing 186 miles which is my record for the month, set last month.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Managed to finish the unsupported 50 miler today. Started very early but it was warm even then, and by mid-morning it was bloody boiling, although the breeze occasionally gave a bit of relief on the top of the Downs. Had some real achilles pain from about half way, so the combo of that and the heat slowed me to a but of a crawl but I wasn’t going to make the phone call of shame home and gutsed it out instead in about 11.40. I thought my eyeballs were going to melt in the last hour or so. Did a simple route - left home in Burgess Hill, road to Hassocks and Clayton Village, up to the Windmills and then long the SDW. 25 mile mark came up just short of Alfriston, so turned round and went back the same way. Some fantastic views, not many people about at all and despite the foot and heat actually quite enjoyed it [emoji16][emoji16]

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Managed to finish the unsupported 50 miler today. Started very early but it was warm even then, and by mid-morning it was bloody boiling, although the breeze occasionally gave a bit of relief on the top of the Downs. Had some real achilles pain from about half way, so the combo of that and the heat slowed me to a but of a crawl but I wasn’t going to make the phone call of shame home and gutsed it out instead in about 11.40. I thought my eyeballs were going to melt in the last hour or so. Did a simple route - left home in Burgess Hill, road to Hassocks and Clayton Village, up to the Windmills and then long the SDW. 25 mile mark came up just short of Alfriston, so turned round and went back the same way. Some fantastic views, not many people about at all and despite the foot and heat actually quite enjoyed it [emoji16][emoji16]

Fantastic effort well done - amazing in this heat.

Got to say I think the Centurion event has worked really well. It’s been great to feel part of a communal event with everyone taking on their own challenge - some of the stories posted are truly inspiring.

Hoping to finish my 50 miles in the morning - had to do notparkrun this morning of course - that’s 11 first places in a row now :lolol:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I just saw your post on Strava, that's a fantastic run, congrats! :clap2: The SDW is such a nice place to run and you get the best view of Sussex. I hope you're having a couple drinks and a whole load of calories to celebrate.

I did a 10 miler this morning for a virtual race a few of us made up. We're going to meet up later and swap the medals we've made for each other. We did it like Secret Santa, so I have no idea who's made my medal.

Truly awesome Dazza - 50 miles on your own in this weather is amazing. Even though I have run more than 200 marathons, only done 2 ultras & they were 30 milers. I really really would not want to do what you have done. You are well bonkers 🤣

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fantastic effort well done - amazing in this heat.

Got to say I think the Centurion event has worked really well. It’s been great to feel part of a communal event with everyone taking on their own challenge - some of the stories posted are truly inspiring.

Hoping to finish my 50 miles in the morning - had to do notparkrun this morning of course - that’s 11 first places in a row now :lolol:

They’ve had a quite astonishing takeup - over 3,750 up to yesterday. Seems to have really grabbed people - I think they way it was made so inclusive, like suggesting kids do the 5k and setting up all the age groups, plus printable numbers, really got people interested. Loads were hooked by the 100 mile week too - particularly as they’ll get a buckle. James told he was completely overwhelmed by it - wasn’t expecting anything like it. Will mean a big donation to the NHS charity too. No way I’d have put myself through that today without it either !

This is why I love the Downs

9c25a20f84edc7e823c489592e3de883.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Where’s that? The poppies looked great by Foredown Tower yesterday but that’s an even better sight.

About a mile along the SDW Eastbound from Housedean Farm (layby on the A27 between Falmer and Lewes). SDW goes over the farmers bridge, along for a bit and then up a small hill, and breaks out into the open (before a great big climb !). It was stunning this morning.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A 15.3 mile seafront run at easy pace took me to a lifetime best 55 miles for the week, yet only got me to 7th on the NSC leaderboard. There has been some serious mileage this week. Also 194.3 miles for May sets me up nicely for June where I’d like to have a stab at 200 miles for the month.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Certainly a good high mileage week by the boys this week. Only 14 miles for myself at the beginning of the week. Came out of the sea from a relaxing swim today to bump into [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] having just completed his 55 miles. Well done all.��

2 weeks training to try and get a good sub 21 5k for me. Club status at stake.

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
We have some brilliant runners on this thread at a variety of distances and today Dazzer you are definitely the MOM!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We have some brilliant runners on this thread at a variety of distances and today Dazzer you are definitely the MOM!!

Absolutely. 50 miles solo is incredible.
Unfortunately he’s bloody nifty at 5K too, when bothered, and I only have one hollow victory from numerous encounters.......

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely. 50 miles solo is incredible.
Unfortunately he’s bloody nifty at 5K too, when bothered, and I only have one hollow victory from numerous encounters.......

Wouldn’t be at the moment.....no speed work and lockdown grazing must have added at least 2 mins. I hope it’s MONTHS before parkun starts up again [emoji23][emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Wouldn’t be at the moment.....no speed work and lockdown grazing must have added at least 2 mins. I hope it’s MONTHS before parkun starts up again [emoji23][emoji23]

Yeah yeah yeah. I’ve heard that before as I struggle behind your slipstream.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here