Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

D

Deleted member 2719

Ran a bit earlier than normal today, like to see the sun rising!

Getting quicker, at last, it's only taken about 10 weeks! Whatever virus I had it did have a detrimental effect for some time, PB by September with any luck!

Miss running in the rain though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had a plan to shadow the 50 milers this week but dropped it yesterday. Had a dehydrated day after a socially distanced Mate’s Retirement drinks session.
Unable to push for May’s Magic Mile and submitted 8:28 due to adductor. Will take a few days off to try to heal inner thigh. Sleeping with pillow between legs. Feels 100% up to 8:45 mile pace so will continue training.

Hardly any magic milers could match last months effort with most 10 plus seconds down. Even the Gasson machine went over 6”.
Heat or fear from the last months effort?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Had a plan to shadow the 50 milers this week but dropped it yesterday. Had a dehydrated day after a socially distanced Mate’s Retirement drinks session.
Unable to push for May’s Magic Mile and submitted 8:28 due to adductor. Will take a few days off to try to heal inner thigh. Sleeping with pillow between legs. Feels 100% up to 8:45 mile pace so will continue training.

Hardly any magic milers could match last months effort with most 10 plus seconds down. Even the Gasson machine went over 6”.
Heat or fear from the last months effort?

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a few days rest is indeed advisable. You seem to be able to bounce back from downtimes really quickly (I am quite lucky in that respect but not in your league) so I'm sure you'll be chasing down Gasson soon. At 67 he is amazing.

PS is there a link? Apologies if you've provided in previously and no probs if you can't now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
30% off pretty much everything at Nike with code NIKE30 for the next few days if you are looking for new kit. The only thing the discount didn't seem to apply to, from my testing, was the Next%, which is not really surprising I guess.

The stock seems to have changed a bit today.

There are some of the excellent Pegasus Turbo 2s (I think [MENTION=11816]Artie Fulkin[/MENTION] has at least one pair) reduced from £159.99 to £111.97, with the 30% off taking them down to £78, which is an absolute steal.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

There are some of the excellent Pegasus Turbo 2s (I think [MENTION=11816]Artie Fulkin[/MENTION] has at least one pair) reduced from £159.99 to £111.97, with the 30% off taking them down to £78, which is an absolute steal.

I bought a pair of Brooks Ravenna 10 for £60 on impulse. Are they any good compared to the Adrenalines that I’ve been using for years?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks for the update. Sounds like a few days rest is indeed advisable. You seem to be able to bounce back from downtimes really quickly (I am quite lucky in that respect but not in your league) so I'm sure you'll be chasing down Gasson soon. At 67 he is amazing.

PS is there a link? Apologies if you've provided in previously and no probs if you can't now.

Made a mistake Paul clocked in at 5:58 on an up and down Hove Park course. I've forwarded my time so that I can motivate myself from being in the last 10% of the 50 May runners. See you there next month. Virtually, of course.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/prestonparkmagicmile/

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Many thanks for the heads up Bozza! Yes I absolutely love the Peg Turbo 2s and have two pairs on the go at the moment.

It looks like only one of the Peg Turbo 2 colourways is down to £111.97 and that colourway has all been snapped up except in size 6. I'll keep a look out to see if they drop any of the other colourways down to £111.97 as it would be rude not get another pair for £78.

The first edition, the Peg 35 Turbo, is also a brilliant shoe and that's on sale for £111.97.

I used the 30% discount on some shoes for my wife yesterday for her upcoming birthday so thanks for the heads up yesterday! :smile:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I bought a pair of Brooks Ravenna 10 for £60 on impulse. Are they any good compared to the Adrenalines that I’ve been using for years?

I've been using Adrenalines for over 10 years, picked up a pair of Brooks Ghost at a decent price end of last year. I 've just stopped using them at around 1,000 miles (most I've got from a pair), so had no problems changing.
Have seen the Ravenna at that price, still considering the purchase.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Made a mistake Paul clocked in at 5:58 on an up and down Hove Park course. I've forwarded my time so that I can motivate myself from being in the last 10% of the 50 May runners. See you there next month. Virtually, of course.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/prestonparkmagicmile/

Ah thanks. I recognise some of those names, notably Mr and Mrs Ulliot and Nicky Yeates. I'm pleased I escaped from Tom U. for a couple of years!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ah thanks. I recognise some of those names, notably Mr and Mrs Ulliot and Nicky Yeates. I'm pleased I escaped from Tom U. for a couple of years!

Yes. Great old names! Nicky Yeates was in front of me in the 2019 Arena mile race at Withdean. I wanted to just get in front pace wise but everytime I went alongside she'd accelarate and push me wide on the bends. Took 2 laps before I could go by.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Tom is a lovely guy and great runner. He runs a Tuesday and Thursday session which is open to all and free of charge. The only requirement is you can run a 5k in around 22/23 minutes from memory.

I’ve been drafted into a virtual relay this Saturday representing Phoenix (still need to sign up)

The relay starts at 6am through until 9pm and the idea is everyone runs for 30 minutes with the biggest distance winning. I’ve got the 2-2:30 slot which I’ll head to the Velodrome for. The heat that time of day will play a part but I have my eye on 5 miles in 30 minutes.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
5k again today for the 6th consecutive day. One bit of the head says "take a rest day, dickhead, before you hurt yourself." But another bit of the head has become completely addicted to the endorphins and for some reason takes great pleasure from arriving home drenched in sweat and covered in more flies than a white van man's number plate.

I'd love to see if I can do a month of 5ks as I'm getting faster and more comfortable, but having experienced the frustration of injuries in the past I know this is a foolish endeavour. Will probably do 10 days then take 2 days out.

A pain / feeling of weakness behind the left knee - particularly when the leg is bent. What might that be?

Asking for a friend :whistle:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A pain / feeling of weakness behind the left knee - particularly when the leg is bent. What might that be?

Asking for a friend :whistle:

Possibly tight quads. Stand upright bring heel up to bum and feel stretch in middle and upper thigh. Shoulders back and core forward. Do both legs. STOP immediately if slightest pain in knee.
Tell your friend that, although we all do it, running every day sometimes doesn't give the body time to flag up an injury.:whistle:

I got caught out by my annual lack of salt over the last few days. Took 3 days to realise.
Constant headaches and dark yellow wee weren't from drinking alcohol again but no salt. 3 teaspoons in 12 hours and I'm ready for running and drinking again.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's now official, I won't be running a marathon this year. Boston has now switched to a virtual race and I have no interest in running that kind of distance on my own. Thankfully they'll still accept my qualifying time to apply for next year. So, it looks like I'll be running Boston in April 2021. Of course there's no guarantee that will happen but I'm hopeful.

Meanwhile, it's going to be a summer of shorter runs with the odd virtual race thrown in to keep things interesting and help support race organisers.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The Spring Run Off sounds like great fun Badger! Go get that top spot on the podium! That's really cool to be able to see Alex give a talk. I'd definitely recommend checking out the book.

I'd be really interested to hear what you think of it @bignuts and [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION]

Started reading today and around 60 pages in. Loving it so far, really interesting to read about the different theories as time has gone on.

I’m a firm believer incentive is a key driver to pushing yourself beyond barriers. Having ability definitely helps but you need a strong mind as well as body to be a top runner.

Looking forward to getting stuck back into it over the weekend.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Started reading today and around 60 pages in. Loving it so far, really interesting to read about the different theories as time has gone on.

I’m a firm believer incentive is a key driver to pushing yourself beyond barriers. Having ability definitely helps but you need a strong mind as well as body to be a top runner.

Looking forward to getting stuck back into it over the weekend.

You’d have finished it by now, if you were really committed.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Strangely shit run yesterday - cruising along for three miles and then suddenly felt drained, to the point I just jogged it home with every stride feeling horrible.

Today, I wasn't feeling like running at all, but having run 119 days I can't just stop because I don't fancy it much.

I was determined it wasn't going to be another shit run, so thought I'd aim for 5 miles at 7:30 pace, but actually ran 7:10 pace, which is only a few seconds off my 10km best to quickly revive the confidence I'd lost yesterday.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Strangely shit run yesterday - cruising along for three miles and then suddenly felt drained, to the point I just jogged it home with every stride feeling horrible.

Today, I wasn't feeling like running at all, but having run 119 days I can't just stop because I don't fancy it much.

I was determined it wasn't going to be another shit run, so thought I'd aim for 5 miles at 7:30 pace, but actually ran 7:10 pace, which is only a few seconds off my 10km best to quickly revive the confidence I'd lost yesterday.

Given the no. of days you run, to be surprised by a shit run is remarkable really......it’s not uncommon in my experience to simply have an unexplained bad run, followed by an equally unexpected great run.......[emoji106]

.....and on that, I’m off out shortly for my ‘virtual race’. [emoji33]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here