Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
hey guys, great to read that there was some really solid running over the bank holiday weekend! Kudos to those taking part in the Centurion Race, in various forms. They've picked a nice week for it.

Another book recommendation - I think I might have already mentioned this one but I've just finished "Endure: Mind, Body and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance" by Alex Hutchinson, a former Canadian national elite distance runner and now author and journalist. It's a really fascinating and thoroughly researched historical study into the science of endurance, primarily in running but also in other endurance disciplines.

I particularly love this bit when talking about how to run faster could in fact be very simple. He cites Michael Joyner, one of the world's leading experts in the physiology of human endurance, who wrote this Japanese haiku many years ago.

Run a lot of miles
Some faster than your race pace
Rest once in a while

I had to look up what a haiku was so learnt something new.

Thanks for the recommendation, it’s arriving tomorrow. Keen to get another mile time trial in this week if possible. Thursday being my favoured day if my 3rd chiropractor visit goes well.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
hey guys, great to read that there was some really solid running over the bank holiday weekend! Kudos to those taking part in the Centurion Race, in various forms. They've picked a nice week for it.

Another book recommendation - I think I might have already mentioned this one but I've just finished "Endure: Mind, Body and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance" by Alex Hutchinson, a former Canadian national elite distance runner and now author and journalist. It's a really fascinating and thoroughly researched historical study into the science of endurance, primarily in running but also in other endurance disciplines.

I particularly love this bit when talking about how to run faster could in fact be very simple. He cites Michael Joyner, one of the world's leading experts in the physiology of human endurance, who wrote this Japanese haiku many years ago.

Run a lot of miles
Rest once in a while

Just bought it on kobo for £2.99 (I don't do Amazon because they are tax dodgers)

thanks

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Run a lot of miles
Rest once in a while

Oh yes, he's a Toronto resident. I've seen him at a few events in the city and caught the very end of a talk he did. He seems like a really nice guy with some interesting ideas around training. I really should get the book.

It's good to see everyone still ticking over with the running with the odd challenge thrown in. I've settled in to a much more comfortable routine, avoiding running on consecutive days and only pushing myself occasionally.

I finally got around to doing my official attempt at a race called Spring Run Off. The real race is an 8k which involves a lot of climbing, so I tried to give my route a similar profile. When I uploaded it I discovered I'm currently sitting in second place overall, around 30 seconds off the leader. You can have as many attempts as you like, so I'm likely to give it another go on a strictly flat/downhill route :lolol:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
5k again today for the 6th consecutive day. One bit of the head says "take a rest day, dickhead, before you hurt yourself." But another bit of the head has become completely addicted to the endorphins and for some reason takes great pleasure from arriving home drenched in sweat and covered in more flies than a white van man's number plate.

I'd love to see if I can do a month of 5ks as I'm getting faster and more comfortable, but having experienced the frustration of injuries in the past I know this is a foolish endeavour. Will probably do 10 days then take 2 days out.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
5k again today for the 6th consecutive day. One bit of the head says "take a rest day, dickhead, before you hurt yourself." But another bit of the head has become completely addicted to the endorphins and for some reason takes great pleasure from arriving home drenched in sweat and covered in more flies than a white van man's number plate.

I'd love to see if I can do a month of 5ks as I'm getting faster and more comfortable, but having experienced the frustration of injuries in the past I know this is a foolish endeavour. Will probably do 10 days then take 2 days out.

Only [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has survived that strategy so far. Might work for you as well. Rule of thumb is that when you feel like you’re on fire it’s time to sit back and run easy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I've run for the past 117 days in a row. I almost came unstuck last week with some soreness in my dodgy knee, but seem to have managed to run it off.

Given the amount I've been drinking over this period, with the dry streak kicked well into touch, it's just as well I've been keeping active!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Only [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has survived that strategy so far. Might work for you as well. Rule of thumb is that when you feel like you’re on fire it’s time to sit back and run easy.

I've run for the past 117 days in a row. I almost came unstuck last week with some soreness in my dodgy knee, but seem to have managed to run it off.

Given the amount I've been drinking over this period, with the dry streak kicked well into touch, it's just as well I've been keeping active!

I am on Day 70 of my streak, started when Spain went into lockdown not knowing if we'd be allowed to run on our lockdown.
The majority of my runs are easy/ recovery pace though with faster efforts only once, sometimes twice a week

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Very gentle recovery run tonight but the story of the night was seeing a full on, organised 8 aside football match. Teams playing in bibs with cones and goal posts.

Even more surprising is that several police cars went past and didn’t stop.

It seems the public are following Dominic Cummings lead In flouting the advice.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Added another 5 miles onto the Centurion challenge this evening with a gentle jog down Basin Road and back. 21.5 down, 28.5 over five days doesn’t sound so daunting now. Certainly seems Social Distancing is a thing of the past by the look of some of the groups on the beach.

Looking to round it up to 30 miles tomorrow and then have a day off before knocking off the final 20 by the weekend.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
On June 20th which is the longest day of the year, this year - I am running 24 miles in 24 hrs. Not too difficult. But the challenge is to run 1 mile every hour on the hour for 24 hours.

Should be fun?

Have you seen that film where the guy in Australia does this and also knocks off a load of DIY jobs in between - I can’t remember the name - I Think [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] may have recommended it?

EDIT - here it is

https://youtu.be/EvT5XS7j-Dc

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
30% off pretty much everything at Nike with code NIKE30 for the next few days if you are looking for new kit. The only thing the discount didn't seem to apply to, from my testing, was the Next%, which is not really surprising I guess.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Have you seen that film where the guy in Australia does this and also knocks off a load of DIY jobs in between - I can’t remember the name - I Think [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] may have recommended it?

EDIT - here it is

https://youtu.be/EvT5XS7j-Dc

That's the one :thumbsup:

Very inspiring video and just shows what you can get done if you plan and push yourself. Sleep will be the big issue for [MENTION=12697]Steve Foster[/MENTION]

He's done loads of mad stuff - eaten only tinned beans until he's consumed his own bodyweight, sea kayaked to Tasmania and around the coast of southern Africa and a 650km trail run across the Aussie Alps. I got quite addicted to his vids in lockdown, mainly because he's SO Australian :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I am on Day 70 of my streak, started when Spain went into lockdown not knowing if we'd be allowed to run on our lockdown.
The majority of my runs are easy/ recovery pace though with faster efforts only once, sometimes twice a week

That’s excellent. You had many years regular running behind it [MENTION=36357]Bry Nylon [/MENTION] should Stay Alert.

https://www.phoenixrunning.co.uk/events/virtual-p24-the-longest-day

If interested in running the 24 miles in 24 hours - a strict one mile each hour on the hour!

My mile will be around Withdean - so won’t be quick!

There will be good commaraderie posting our mile runs & geeing us all. More than 100 have signed up so far.
Will be fun & there is a medal 🥇 too!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Oh yes, he's a Toronto resident. I've seen him at a few events in the city and caught the very end of a talk he did. He seems like a really nice guy with some interesting ideas around training. I really should get the book.

It's good to see everyone still ticking over with the running with the odd challenge thrown in. I've settled in to a much more comfortable routine, avoiding running on consecutive days and only pushing myself occasionally.

I finally got around to doing my official attempt at a race called Spring Run Off. The real race is an 8k which involves a lot of climbing, so I tried to give my route a similar profile. When I uploaded it I discovered I'm currently sitting in second place overall, around 30 seconds off the leader. You can have as many attempts as you like, so I'm likely to give it another go on a strictly flat/downhill route :lolol:

The Spring Run Off sounds like great fun Badger! Go get that top spot on the podium! That's really cool to be able to see Alex give a talk. I'd definitely recommend checking out the book.

I'd be really interested to hear what you think of it @bignuts and [MENTION=88]Bob![/MENTION]

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
https://www.phoenixrunning.co.uk/events/virtual-p24-the-longest-day

If interested in running the 24 miles in 24 hours - a strict one mile each hour on the hour!

My mile will be around Withdean - so won’t be quick!

There will be good commaraderie posting our mile runs & geeing us all. More than 100 have signed up so far.
Will be fun & there is a medal 🥇 too!

Like the look of this. Will present all kinds of challenges in the early hours. I’ve signed up, just need to find a flat mile loop near me.

I may plant a tree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here