Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I can’t remember if we’ve covered this already but is anyone doing the Centurion event next week? Any distance from 5k to 100 miles in one go or spread across the week. I’m doing 50 miles (not in one go!).

It’s nearest thing to a mass participation event at the moment - there’s about 2500 entries from 35 countries - about 30 from our club taking part. You get a race number and a medal for finishing - all based on an honour system unless you are competing for a prize.

Looks like you can still enter if interested https://www.racedirector.co.uk/events/one-community-2020

I get the idea –*and the reasons behind it –*but it's not for me, I'm afraid. I do also question the sense of some of the people attempting the longer distances knowing there won't be assistance (not [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] though – he's hardcore).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I get the idea –*and the reasons behind it –*but it's not for me, I'm afraid. I do also question the sense of some of the people attempting the longer distances knowing there won't be assistance (not [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] though – he's hardcore).

I understand the concern but I don't actually think it's as bad as it might look (and the Centurion crew have been pretty blunt about how people manage the risks in their comms and podcasts about it).........most of those signed up for the 100 are doing it cumulatively over the course of the week, or (based on the social media sharing so far) doing multiple loops fairly near to their homes so they'll never be too far away from help. Virtually everyone connected is (by definition) fairly experienced in longer distances too. I'm doing mine starting from home, on a route I know basically every square inch of and will have the emergency bail-out squad on call at home to come and get me in case anything goes tits up (with various 'collection points' noted) - think most will have similar arrangements. I've planned nutrition I can easily carry, and where I can refill water (the SDW is very good in that regard with taps at regular intervals - for my route there will be taps at 11m,18m,village shop at 25m,32m and 39m) The test for me is doing something of that duration without it being an event - I'm expecting it to be much harder psychologically than normal without that and any intermittent company you'd normally get on such an event . I'm also a bit undertrained for the distance but the plus side is not having a cut-off or any time objective so will be taking it very easy from the off.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I understand the concern but I don't actually think it's as bad as it might look (and the Centurion crew have been pretty blunt about how people manage the risks in their comms and podcasts about it).........most of those signed up for the 100 are doing it cumulatively over the course of the week, or (based on the social media sharing so far) doing multiple loops fairly near to their homes so they'll never be too far away from help. Virtually everyone connected is (by definition) fairly experienced in longer distances too. I'm doing mine starting from home, on a route I know basically every square inch of and will have the emergency bail-out squad on call at home to come and get me in case anything goes tits up (with various 'collection points' noted) - think most will have similar arrangements. I've planned nutrition I can easily carry, and where I can refill water (the SDW is very good in that regard with taps at regular intervals - for my route there will be taps at 11m,18m,village shop at 25m,32m and 39m) The test for me is doing something of that duration without it being an event - I'm expecting it to be much harder psychologically than normal without that and any intermittent company you'd normally get on such an event . I'm also a bit undertrained for the distance but the plus side is not having a cut-off or any time objective so will be taking it very easy from the off.

Sensible AND hardcore :lolol:

In your situation, yes, I can see that there is plenty of contingency planning. I hope that everyone else is that sensible and doesn't try and to push themselves too hard (you KNOW some of them will!)

Also, as we've seen from the blond bellend in No 10, you can advise and warn people as much as you like, but the penny will never drop with some folk.

oddsonlaughter

Jan 24, 2008
Just incase its of interest, the Sussex Beacon has 11 places for the London Marathon available - they assisted a friend of mine with HIV

Obviously it may not go ahead but if anyone has wanted to do it, they have bonded places so if cancelled will be deferred to next year. You also get a free entry to the Brighton Half Marathon - registration is £150 and Fundraising Target is £2000

Details are here

https://www.sussexbeacon.org.uk/challenge-events/londonmarathon/

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Second attempt at a comeback this morning. Am on day 6 out of 7 of Doxycycline (no booze and very little SUNLIGHT allowed :eek: ) but they seem to have been doing the trick. Went for a chest x-ray at the Poly on Monday as a result of the chat with the doc giving the prescription. That came back completely all clear on Wednesday (no permanent infection, no Big C). No booze to ceebrate that one but instead I determined to get back the fitness I'd lost. Have been doing a 2 - 3 mile walk every morning, early on before UV levels are too high. This morning extended that to 3.5 miles with about half of it running and half of it walking. Plan now is to SLOWLY increase the length and running proportion (rather than going all out for a 4 mile run like last time).

Interesting run by [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] this morning. An inspired choice of course.......

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Just incase its of interest, the Sussex Beacon has 11 places for the London Marathon available - they assisted a friend of mine with HIV

Obviously it may not go ahead but if anyone has wanted to do it, they have bonded places so if cancelled will be deferred to next year. You also get a free entry to the Brighton Half Marathon - registration is £150 and Fundraising Target is £2000

Details are here

https://www.sussexbeacon.org.uk/challenge-events/londonmarathon/

Great stuff! :thumbsup:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
An 8k for me along a very windy prom. This was around the same time and place of the Worthing Parkrun and some of Worthing's finest in that event seemed to be having a handicap race. A great way of running competitively and with a social distance - until the actual finish line, if the handicapper has done a good job!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Jogged along to do an out and back mile attempt yesterday. All OK but as soon as picked up pace to 8:30 felt a twinge and jogged home. No problem jogging. Have referenced my Supple Body book and done a few hip ( as in body not cool) stretches. It feels good. Too much stress stretching the adductors for 2 days when the abductors needed loosening perhaps.

Will jog out today and see if I can do some pick ups. Have a Wednesday deadline for the Preston Park Magic Mile but will Stay Alert to any inner thigh issue.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Jogged along to do an out and back mile attempt yesterday. All OK but as soon as picked up pace to 8:30 felt a twinge and jogged home. No problem jogging. Have referenced my Supple Body book and done a few hip ( as in body not cool) stretches. It feels good. Too much stress stretching the adductors for 2 days when the abductors needed loosening perhaps.

Will jog out today and see if I can do some pick ups. Have a Wednesday deadline for the Preston Park Magic Mile but will Stay Alert to any inner thigh issue.

You've got to wave the NSC Runners flag at Preston Park (not literally as it would slow you down) but not at the expense of crocking yourself (reminder: what did that fast mile do to you last time?).

I can talk: knee a bit yuk after a longish hilly walk yesterday, so decided to show it who's the boss today. Big mistake!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You've got to wave the NSC Runners flag at Preston Park (not literally as it would slow you down) but not at the expense of crocking yourself (reminder: what did that fast mile do to you last time?).

I can talk: knee a bit yuk after a longish hilly walk yesterday, so decided to show it who's the boss today. Big mistake!

The mile is to be run alone anywhere. Uphill, downhill, wind assisted, lead boots....I’ll send in a time of 8:59 this month and get fixed for June’s effort.

Good luck with yukky knee.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I seem to have successfully run through my knee troubles my trundling out short slow runs for a few days, culminating in a speedy (for me) five miles on Saturday and then ten miles on Sunday, my first double-digit run for three whole weeks.

I\ve been roped into some sort of 100-mile virtual relay charity event this coming weekend by some runners I converse with on Instagram. 16.6 miles each, with the 100 miles to be completed inside 24 hours. There's no obligation to do your miles in a single stint, the rule is that only one person can run at a time.

Someone else had already nabbed a 5am-ish set-off, so I'm going to go out at 3am and knock my miles off in a single hit to get it out of the way. This will be the furthest I've ever run. I still won't take water or food though as that strikes me as a pain in the arse.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Could I recommend the lead boots on this occasion? It might be the only way I could close the gap.

Back to basics for me this week with slow mileage, as I can run up to 8:45 mile pace without stressing the inner thigh. No magic mile effort from me. Focus is then on Virtual Master's 5K relays sometime between 14th-20th June.

Want to hear how the Centurions are getting on with their challenge and what's in store for them. I notice Luke Carter ran his 100 miles in 21:00:52 yesterday. Half with a companion and half on his todd. Says he bonked for the first time. He's the sort of bloke who'll do it again Friday to try and lose the 53 seconds.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Kicked off my Centurion 50 mile week yesterday morning. Wasn’t expecting the heat! Ran Hove Park - Waterhall- Saddlescoombe- Dyke-Truleigh-Thundebarrow-Mile Oak Farm then really struggles up the hill back to Foredown Tower and was very happy to be picked up by Mrs Simgull and carted home - before having to go on as bike ride to Shoreham in the afternoon!
Anyway clocked up 16.5 miles so a good start, planning a 5 mile recovery today to edge me towards half way.

Some amazing stories on the Centurion FB page of people doing 100 miles in one go in the heat etc.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Managed my first 5k for three weeks yesterday and only my second in two months. Have been walk/running and managed three days in a row, so I thought I'd have a rest day today.

I cannot get above ten minute miles at the moment without the legs and lungs complaining. Hopefully that will improve rapidly.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Managed my own 50-mile week last week, so had a well-deserved rest day yesterday before getting back on it this morning. Beautiful up and down the riverbank to Beeding – gonna be another hot one!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've been roped into some sort of 100-mile virtual relay charity event this coming weekend by some runners I converse with on Instagram. 16.6 miles each, with the 100 miles to be completed inside 24 hours. There's no obligation to do your miles in a single stint, the rule is that only one person can run at a time.

Someone else had already nabbed a 5am-ish set-off, so I'm going to go out at 3am and knock my miles off in a single hit to get it out of the way. This will be the furthest I've ever run. I still won't take water or food though as that strikes me as a pain in the arse.

It's been pushed back two weeks now, but I might try running the distance this weekend anyway, just because. I won't need to do it at 3am though!

If others are interested in forming a team, you can enter here >>> https://www.letsdothis.com/gb/e/the-lockdown-leg-187696

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
hey guys, great to read that there was some really solid running over the bank holiday weekend! Kudos to those taking part in the Centurion Race, in various forms. They've picked a nice week for it.

Another book recommendation - I think I might have already mentioned this one but I've just finished "Endure: Mind, Body and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance" by Alex Hutchinson, a former Canadian national elite distance runner and now author and journalist. It's a really fascinating and thoroughly researched historical study into the science of endurance, primarily in running but also in other endurance disciplines.

I particularly love this bit when talking about how to run faster could in fact be very simple. He cites Michael Joyner, one of the world's leading experts in the physiology of human endurance, who wrote this Japanese haiku many years ago.

Run a lot of miles
Some faster than your race pace
Rest once in a while

I had to look up what a haiku was so learnt something new.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
hey guys, great to read that there was some really solid running over the bank holiday weekend! Kudos to those taking part in the Centurion Race, in various forms. They've picked a nice week for it.

Another book recommendation - I think I might have already mentioned this one but I've just finished "Endure: Mind, Body and the Curiously Elastic Limits of Human Performance" by Alex Hutchinson, a former Canadian national elite distance runner and now author and journalist. It's a really fascinating and thoroughly researched historical study into the science of endurance, primarily in running but also in other endurance disciplines.

I particularly love this bit when talking about how to run faster could in fact be very simple. He cites Michael Joyner, one of the world's leading experts in the physiology of human endurance, who wrote this Japanese haiku many years ago.

Run a lot of miles
Some faster than your race pace
Rest once in a while

I had to look up what a haiku was so learnt something new.

This sounds gloriously simple and wise.

I on the other hand ventured out in the heat of the afternoon sun wondering why there were hardly any runners along the prom and managed an 8K in 2 minutes quicker than my effort the other day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here