Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just went out to do my 6x400m mile pace intervals. Nice sea breeze. Got 5:30 Average pace easily on the first one. Set off for second got up to pace, wind blew hat off, Immediate reflex stop and twist in failed effort to catch it. Inside leg pulled and end of session. Jogged 2 miles back to allotment.

The Vaporfly await further testing and I’ll be getting the ice out when I get home.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Just went out to do my 6x400m mile pace intervals. Nice sea breeze. Got 5:30 Average pace easily on the first one. Set off for second got up to pace, wind blew hat off, Immediate reflex stop and twist in failed effort to catch it. Inside leg pulled and end of session. Jogged 2 miles back to allotment.

The Vaporfly await further testing and I’ll be getting the ice out when I get home.

Oh no Gaffer. I hope it's not too bad a pull and it settles down.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I had an early (even for me) start this morning and it was bloody beautiful out there. Managed to take in a bit of the beach AND the Downs (or close enough) as part of an 8-miler. Bit of a scorcher out there now :cool:

I'm loving the warm and sunny morning runs as long I'm back by 9:30am ish but I did come back with a little dose of hayfever this morning.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Can we talk about PANTS? I've started upping my milage a but and in this weather it can get quuuuuite moist down below. What are people wearing to avoid chafage?

I have a bunch of runderwear running briefs and they seem to do the job with no complaints.

I think we can also sometimes underestimate the importance of SOCKS, particularly when running in the heat. A poor sock choice can bring about painful issues. Normally in the form of blisters which we usually self-diagnose as a result of a shoe problem and curse at them when in fact it's the sock that the foot is angry with.

Whenever we find a good pair of socks that "just work" without any grumbles I find it's best to buy in bulk. :smile:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just back from a steady 5k. Whatever weight I lost in sweat was more than equalled by the volume of flies I swallowed

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I have a bunch of runderwear running briefs and they seem to do the job with no complaints.

I think we can also sometimes underestimate the importance of SOCKS, particularly when running in the heat. A poor sock choice can bring about painful issues. Normally in the form of blisters which we usually self-diagnose as a result of a shoe problem and curse at them when in fact it's the sock that the foot is angry with.

Whenever we find a good pair of socks that "just work" without any grumbles I find it's best to buy in bulk. :smile:

Yes, socks are very important. I discovered a hole in my favourite pair after a run last week. I ordered myself 2 new pairs to replace them and another pair which might go the same way soon.
I have a couple of pair of Injinji "toe" socks too. I tend to save them for longer runs and races. I find they're really good for blister prevention but they don't seem to last long before one of the big toes gets a hole.

In other news, I'm back to doing some easier runs to try and keep myself injury free. Adding in a much longer warm-up before each run and trying to avoid running on consecutive days. We've finally got some of that nice weather you all seem to have been hogging recently.

Has anyone pre-ordered the Saucony Endorphin Pro? I had an email about them yesterday and there's a real temptation...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Runderwear for me too. They are fantastic. No CHAFFAGE and a bit of extra support in the same way lycra cycling shorts offer it. I'm a big fan

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
5% of 50m users looks pretty conservative but is probably about right and I guess that's where the platform's problems to move forward sit. Users have been happy with the features available with the free offering and we all love something for free don't we.

I think the platform has really grown in it's development as a very smart but clean & simple, super user-friendly activity tracker/training log as well as focusing on socially connecting virtual communities globally.
There must be some serious value in the 50m global user base alone and I would have thought many of the bigger players (tech/sports apparel) would have looked at Strava as a solid acquisition to add to their offering. It's 50m new people that they can talk to/push product on. I haven't really spent enough time on the other activity trackers like Nike Run Club/MyFitnessPal etc. to compare though.

My cousin works for Strava (I really must see if I can get a discount). She started off in their San Francisco HQ as an intern but couldn't get a US work visa despite having a master's degree from a US university. Luckily their UK office is in Bristol and as she's from Bath it was an easy move. They do seem to have a lot of staff around the world and I'm sure they have all the expense of all the other Silicon Valley companies. Plus they're involved in a lot of events and sponsorship. So, it's not too surprising they are trying to get more money.

As you say, it is surprising they haven't been bought out. Under Armour bought MapMyRun and I don't think that gets as much use as it used to.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I can’t remember if we’ve covered this already but is anyone doing the Centurion event next week? Any distance from 5k to 100 miles in one go or spread across the week. I’m doing 50 miles (not in one go!).

It’s nearest thing to a mass participation event at the moment - there’s about 2500 entries from 35 countries - about 30 from our club taking part. You get a race number and a medal for finishing - all based on an honour system unless you are competing for a prize.

Looks like you can still enter if interested https://www.racedirector.co.uk/events/one-community-2020

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I can’t remember if we’ve covered this already but is anyone doing the Centurion event next week? Any distance from 5k to 100 miles in one go or spread across the week. I’m doing 50 miles (not in one go!).

It’s nearest thing to a mass participation event at the moment - there’s about 2500 entries from 35 countries - about 30 from our club taking part. You get a race number and a medal for finishing - all based on an honour system unless you are competing for a prize.

Looks like you can still enter if interested https://www.racedirector.co.uk/events/one-community-2020

I’m in. Going to try 50m in one go. Never tried that unsupported before but will give it a bash, probably next Saturday. The ‘Centurion Community’ (cheesy I know) have massively embraced this.........hundreds have entered the 100m challenge (some as a weekly cumulative total, some will do it in one hit including the guvnor James Elson). A few loons are trying all events.....just under 200m in the week.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Much cooler out this morning. Cloud cover was a welcome sight and even a few spots of rain!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ice and stretching has eased the adductor muscle will probably be able to give it a run later. Jolly lucky, the reflex twist and turn stop is more a football injury than running. No intervals today.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Only really two causes of blisters - friction and dehydration...................or a combination of those. I've experimented with loads f different socks over the years and have determined, for me at least, that a thin, hard-wearing, single layer is best - I use X-socks for all my running these days. Not the cheapest but hellishly effective. Good-fitting shoes also essential...I don't subscribe to this 'go a size bigger' bollox, even for the longer runs (your feet don't swell lengthways) - if the shoes fit well you won't get friction (or blisters)............

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Lovely, thanks. I've been looking into socks to as I've got weirdly long second toes so have issues with blisters on the inside of my big toe so need to replace my running socks. Gonna get some steigens.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Yes, socks are very important. I discovered a hole in my favourite pair after a run last week. I ordered myself 2 new pairs to replace them and another pair which might go the same way soon.
I have a couple of pair of Injinji "toe" socks too. I tend to save them for longer runs and races. I find they're really good for blister prevention but they don't seem to last long before one of the big toes gets a hole.

In other news, I'm back to doing some easier runs to try and keep myself injury free. Adding in a much longer warm-up before each run and trying to avoid running on consecutive days. We've finally got some of that nice weather you all seem to have been hogging recently.

Has anyone pre-ordered the Saucony Endorphin Pro? I had an email about them yesterday and there's a real temptation...

The Endorphin Pro's do look really smart. Tempting. I'm really liking Hoka's carbon plate shoe the Carbon X. It's quite a "no frills" carbon plate shoe but really well made and I always seem to settle early into a good groove with them when I take them out for a run.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I’m in. Going to try 50m in one go. Never tried that unsupported before but will give it a bash, probably next Saturday. The ‘Centurion Community’ (cheesy I know) have massively embraced this.........hundreds have entered the 100m challenge (some as a weekly cumulative total, some will do it in one hit including the guvnor James Elson). A few loons are trying all events.....just under 200m in the week.

A 50 miler dazzer! :bowdown:

I've been thinking about having a crack at the 100 miles in a week but my work might get in the way.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Endorphin Pro's do look really smart. Tempting. I'm really liking Hoka's carbon plate shoe the Carbon X. It's quite a "no frills" carbon plate shoe but really well made and I always seem to settle early into a good groove with them when I take them out for a run.

I've got a pair of Carbon Xs...not used them much yet as haven't been doing speedwork but do like the feel of them - can definitely feel the 'spring'. Best I can hope for when we eventually get back to parkrun is they partly help compensate for the actual loss of pace I've suffered..........wouldn't like to wear them for long distances though - bit of a harsh ride (awaits guest thread appearance of [MENTION=34997]Your Mum[/MENTION])

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Runderwear have one of their fairly regular discounts on offer this weekend 20% off using code BH20.
[MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here