Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Strava changes: thoughts?

Personally, I'm probably going to upgrade and make the most of the services it offers. I don't begrudge chucking a bit of money Strava's way each month – it's a really good tool and I find it motivational.

I started writing about this earlier and then binned it.

A few years ago I was a paid-up subscriber and then I got injured. A year or so later, whilst still injured, I discovered I'd still been paying, so cancelled. Entirely my fault, obviously. I've not got round to subscribing again, since I returned from injury, primarily since I'm not sure there's anything in the subscription feature set that I actually want or need.

All that said, I have no objection in paying for something that provides value to me, even if I can obtain what I need from the free part of the freemium offering.

I don't entirely buy their reasoning that some of the features being pushed behind the subscription paywall are "especially complex and expensive to maintain" (their words), but I guess they can't say these changes were "to try and tempt more people to pay us cash".

I'm sure I'll subscribe when I next take a look...

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Talking of Strava, is it just me that can't see a profile picture for the North Stand Chat Runners Strava club? All I see is a grey box with a white flag. I've been meaning to ask for a while. All the other Strava clubs I'm signed up to have profile pictures (are they called avatars?)

I was just wondering if it would be nice to add an NSC Runners club profile picture? I think it would need to be added by the club's Admin. I'm not sure if that's anyone on this thread?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Talking of Strava, is it just me that can't see a profile picture for the North Stand Chat Runners Strava club? All I see is a grey box with a white flag. I've been meaning to ask for a while. All the other Strava clubs I'm signed up to have profile pictures (are they called avatars?)

I was just wondering if it would be nice to add an NSC Runners club profile picture? I think it would need to be added by the club's Admin. I'm not sure if that's anyone on this thread?

Yeah - on the app it's a white flag on a grey background, which is better than desktop where it's a broken link to an image that's no longer there. This link in fact:

https://dgalywyr863hv.cloudfront.net/pictures/clubs/96909/1656103/medium.jpg

On desktop you can see who the club admin is, but it's not a name I recognise at all. He is still active, so I've just popped a message on his last activity asking if he can update the image and/or pass the club over to me.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yeah - on the app it's a white flag on a grey background, which is better than desktop where it's a broken link to an image that's no longer there. This link in fact:

https://dgalywyr863hv.cloudfront.net/pictures/clubs/96909/1656103/medium.jpg

On desktop you can see who the club admin is, but it's not a name I recognise at all. He is still active, so I've just popped a message on his last activity asking if he can update the image and/or pass the club over to me.

I’m not at home but have a vague memory that it’s [MENTION=17677]Fitzcarraldo[/MENTION]

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I’m not at home but have a vague memory that it’s [MENTION=17677]Fitzcarraldo[/MENTION]

It wasn't me but agree that it would be nice to have a picture!

This is an interesting read re the Strava changes: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05...-reduces-3rd-party-apps-for-all-and-more.html

They give you a two month trial now, which I have signed up for. I am not sure that I use any of the features that they have put behind the paywall though. Having read that article I might start using the route planner for when I go for a cycle. I guess I also agree with the principle if you use something a lot then you should pay for it if you want it to continue. You can't just expect it to be there.

I wonder if the changes at Strava came about due to number of people who have joined due to lockdowns globally?

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
A bit cheeky to take away some of the most popular features from the free model but overall I think it's a great platform, both as a free product and for the sub-paying users. Amazed to read that it's not yet profitable. I guess they've got to try to earn money somehow to keep it sustainable so it makes sense to drive towards subscriptions. I like the product so happy to chip in and pay for it. I'd hate for it to go the ad-supported route.

Reading that cyclists are up in arms with Strava. :tantrum: What a surprise. For that reason alone I'm all for it #TeamStrava :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
A bit cheeky to take away some of the most popular features from the free model but overall I think it's a great platform, both as a free product and for the sub-paying users. Amazed to read that it's not yet profitable. I guess they've got to try to earn money somehow to keep it sustainable so it makes sense to drive towards subscriptions. I like the product so happy to chip in and pay for it. I'd hate for it to go the ad-supported route.

Reading that cyclists are up in arms with Strava. :tantrum: What a surprise. For that reason alone I'm all for it #TeamStrava :lolol:

When I got the email this morning I went through the NSC club and I think it was 22 subscribers out of 75 and I wondered how representative that is. The DC Rainmaker article suggests that only 5% of c50m users paid before this change.

I've long been impressed that Strava has remained independent - it's always looked ripe to be picked off for what would be pocket change to the likes of Apple, Google or even Facebook, in the same way that Under Armour picked up MyFitnessPal and Endomondo.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. There must be a huge heap of really casual users who simply would never pay for activity tracking, since there are a whole heap of other free options, whilst those who are truly into this stuff are likely already paid-up.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
When I got the email this morning I went through the NSC club and I think it was 22 subscribers out of 75 and I wondered how representative that is. The DC Rainmaker article suggests that only 5% of c50m users paid before this change.

I've long been impressed that Strava has remained independent - it's always looked ripe to be picked off for what would be pocket change to the likes of Apple, Google or even Facebook, in the same way that Under Armour picked up MyFitnessPal and Endomondo.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. There must be a huge heap of really casual users who simply would never pay for activity tracking, since there are a whole heap of other free options, whilst those who are truly into this stuff are likely already paid-up.

5% of 50m users looks pretty conservative but is probably about right and I guess that's where the platform's problems to move forward sit. Users have been happy with the features available with the free offering and we all love something for free don't we.

I think the platform has really grown in it's development as a very smart but clean & simple, super user-friendly activity tracker/training log as well as focusing on socially connecting virtual communities globally.
There must be some serious value in the 50m global user base alone and I would have thought many of the bigger players (tech/sports apparel) would have looked at Strava as a solid acquisition to add to their offering. It's 50m new people that they can talk to/push product on. I haven't really spent enough time on the other activity trackers like Nike Run Club/MyFitnessPal etc. to compare though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Fair play Gaffer: I am a W. It was really a case of using the NSC challenge not as an end in itself but as the motivation to have a real go at a decent time/AG.

I’ll add the bloody good (W) time to the table.

Had fun today at lunch time. Was looking for somewhere to do a mile split into 6 intervals with jog recovery. Was at the allotment so I crossed over the road to my old school and saw that half the playing fields are open to the public now. Haven’t been there since 1978 and great to return.

End result was a 5:35 mile completed with 5 jog recoveries on bumpy grass in 6 intervals at about 95% effort.
I think I can have a go at a 5:45 mile next Tuesday for the magic 80%......

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I’ll add the bloody good (W) time to the table.

Had fun today at lunch time. Was looking for somewhere to do a mile split into 6 intervals with jog recovery. Was at the allotment so I crossed over the road to my old school and saw that half the playing fields are open to the public now. Haven’t been there since 1978 and great to return.

End result was a 5:35 mile completed with 5 jog recoveries on bumpy grass in 6 intervals at about 95% effort.
I think I can have a go at a 5:45 mile next Tuesday for the magic 80%......

Cheers,

Are you going to return to the course you used for your first mile effort? That 80% is looking within your grasp...….depending on the wind, maybe? (Seriously, I think that lighter runners get disproportionately buffeted by the wind; heavier runners just seem to be more able to batter their way through it.)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cheers,

Are you going to return to the course you used for your first mile effort? That 80% is looking within your grasp...….depending on the wind, maybe? (Seriously, I think that lighter runners get disproportionately buffeted by the wind; heavier runners just seem to be more able to batter their way through it.)

I will go back there as it's shut to traffic and the roadworks have finished. There is also enough width to make it an out and back course, if turning point is made near the Weakest Link relay start line. The adrenaline is building...........

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Question for the coach [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION]

Do I wear Vaporfly Next for my mile on tarmac or racing flats? I’m edging to the flats as they are the magic shoes but will try the Vaporfly out on some 400m intervals tomorrow. Every second counts.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Question for the coach [MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION]

Do I wear Vaporfly Next for my mile on tarmac or racing flats? I’m edging to the flats as they are the magic shoes but will try the Vaporfly out on some 400m intervals tomorrow. Every second counts.

Ooooh racing flats!

I keep eyeing up the Zoom Streak 7 at Keller Sports >>> https://www.keller-sports.co.uk/p/nike-air-zoom-streak-7-running-shoes-RSCNI04V000.html

They're £95 everywhere else and I wondered what they'd be like for short quick runs.

I've never worn shoes like this before - are they effective?

(As an aside, Keller are often very keenly priced, and if you join their premium thing for £7.99/year, you get 10% off everything, including sale items, which you'll likely make back on your first pair of shoes)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ooooh racing flats!

I keep eyeing up the Zoom Streak 7 at Keller Sports >>> https://www.keller-sports.co.uk/p/nike-air-zoom-streak-7-running-shoes-RSCNI04V000.html

They're £95 everywhere else and I wondered what they'd be like for short quick runs.

I've never worn shoes like this before - are they effective?

(As an aside, Keller are often very keenly priced, and if you join their premium thing for £7.99/year, you get 10% off everything, including sale items, which you'll likely make back on your first pair of shoes)

That is a good price and would be fast. They weigh 25g each more than my old asic gel hyperspeed 6. The benefit from the flats is lightweight, low heel, mid foot to fore foot propulsion and responsive. I love the way the heel seems to kick higher and faster. Only using them for a race or time trial helps get the adrenaline pumping everytime they go on.

You're moving me towards the tried and tested flats.............

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That is a good price and would be fast. They weigh 25g each more than my old asic gel hyperspeed 6. The benefit from the flats is lightweight, low heel, mid foot to fore foot propulsion and responsive. I love the way the heel seems to kick higher and faster. Only using them for a race or time trial helps get the adrenaline pumping everytime they go on.

You're moving me towards the tried and tested flats.............

Thanks - I'm going to commit.

As an existing premium member, they come in at £61.02 and I have a 10% discount code due to the late delivery of my Wildhorse 6 trail shoes, so the price is pretty compelling to give them a go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here