Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Apologies GNT good to see the old gits squeezing the young gazelle [MENTION=17677]Fitzcarraldo[/MENTION]

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
Fitzcarraldo 76.04% 4:53
GNT 75.37% 6:24
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Ninja 69.89% 5:21
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39
Penny's Harmonica 68.60% 6:17

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A new Lockdown/semi Lockdown 5K table is to be produced for the NSC running fraternity. Run your balls off on a circuit, number of circuits or an out and back course. Any 5K already done fitting the rules during lockdown can count. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] are a few examples I think.
My reasons are personal. I have not been selected for the Arena old gits virtual 5K relays as new boy in the age group and, quite rightfully, as no current 5K time to go on. https://data.opentrack.run/x/2020/GBR/bmaf-virtual-rr/

So in the week 14-20th June I'll be looking for a sub 21 5K titled "It Should Have Been Me" on Strava. Can usually find 10-15 seconds during moments of knockiness.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A new Lockdown/semi Lockdown 5K table is to be produced for the NSC running fraternity. Run your balls off on a circuit, number of circuits or an out and back course. Any 5K already done fitting the rules during lockdown can count. [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] are a few examples I think.
My reasons are personal. I have not been selected for the Arena old gits virtual 5K relays as new boy in the age group and, quite rightfully, no current 5K time to go on. https://data.opentrack.run/x/2020/GBR/bmaf-virtual-rr/

So in the week 14-20th June I'll be looking for a sub 21 5K titled "It Should Have Been Me" on Strava. Can usually find 10-15 seconds during moments of knockiness.

Great my unofficial but accurately measured 5k PB will count for something! 18:16 the best part of 9 laps of the Velodrome.

Very steady run this morning, easing myself back after a day off yesterday. Still far from perfect but it’s definitely no worse. I think an easy week of no more than 4 runs at 8-8:30 pace.

I’ll be working myself back for another shot at the mile as soon as I’m fully healed.

Another interesting distance but don’t want to over do the tables and complicate things further is 3k. I reckon running that hard set me up nicely for my 5k PB.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great my unofficial but accurately measured 5k PB will count for something! 18:16 the best part of 9 laps of the Velodrome.

Very steady run this morning, easing myself back after a day off yesterday. Still far from perfect but it’s definitely no worse. I think an easy week of no more than 4 runs at 8-8:30 pace.

I’ll be working myself back for another shot at the mile as soon as I’m fully healed.

Another interesting distance but don’t want to over do the tables and complicate things further is 3k. I reckon running that hard set me up nicely for my 5k PB.

I'll add the 3K to the 5K table and keep the Magic Mile table seperate. Time please and age 42?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The Champion so far is Big Nuts.

NAME NSC 5K NSC 5K AG NSC 3K NSC 3K AG
Big Nuts 18:16 74.72% 10:52 71.40%

I wonder how consistent a runner's AGs will be across the 3 distances. Quite a variance with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]. I'm still searching for my 'best distance' - especially with the new (to most of us) distance such as the 3k . This used to be a pretty standard race, I believe.

Anecdote alert: many years ago one of my pals was representing British Students against their French equivalents in Paris. There was a 3k event which he won. He noticed that the officials trackside were very excited and he was then told (it might even have been announced over the PA) that he'd broken the world record. He was good but not that good: the course had been wrongly measured.
But for a few minutes...…………. (On a tangentially related issue, I once went to a county cricket match - in Liverpool- where it was discovered after a few overs that the pitch had been wrongly marked out.)

D

Deleted member 2719

Mrs GNT does these. I only watch when Mrs Joe is presenting. I don't think I could survive one of these workouts. Overdoing the running just makes the rest of you seize up. I take comfort in the thought that Joe, Mrs Joe and Mrs GNT couldn't run a 'quick' mile.

But what if they could run a quick mile!

Mrs Joe looks good considering she popped a kid not long ago.

I could run a quick mile..............in 1980.

With tight hamstrings and sciatic nerves, I only just pass my knees when trying to touch my toes nowadays.

Can I stretch these further and be more flexible without injury???

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Ran a virtual relay race with my club today as the local 'Livingston Relay' was obviously cancelled. We had 9 teams of four (mixed genders and abilities) with the first leg runners setting off at 9am, then 2nd leg 9.40am etc with the aim of running 3 miles as quickly as possible on their chosen route nearest to their home. All results were posted in Strava and the club Facebook page. Was really entertaining and definitely a challenge with the wind and rain we had in Leicester this morning. Best news was that my team won, although not particularly due to my time which was decent for me but not by the standard on here!

Maybe we could do a NSC virtual relay along the same lines to keep us all entertained? (sorry if this has already been done/mentioned/is a thing, haven't been online much recently so am a bit out of the loop!)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Now you too can have hours of fun trying to match the NSC name to the Strava name!

One of them is very easy to match!

Now for the update to the Stay Alert 5K table. Simgull takes second place or last place.

Simgull 21:42 70.23%

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
One of them is very easy to match!

Now for the update to the Stay Alert 5K table. Simgull takes second place or last place.

Simgull 21:42 70.23%

Here we go Gaffer. A pretty mediocre 12.52 for me (that's 3K BTW not the 5K) @ 74.11% AG. Set my pace for 12.30 but being buffeted by cross winds didn't help. Many thanks.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I WILL get around to doing the challenges, but this today wasn't the day for it. Having felt like I'd run a lot recently, I thought I'd take it easy with an amble up the Downslink, but sort of got into the groove and carried on where I was planning to turn around and headed on to the bridge and eventually up Beeding Hill and back down to home from Truleigh Hill. Even gave it a bit of pace as I tried to keep up with someone up ahead.

As many of you know, I'm not one for warming up or down – never have been so that's not going to change. But I think the actual act of running serves as my warm-up. Probably took about a mile until the heavy legs felt OK and I would've been happy to carry on for many more miles :shrug:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Some ego fodder for the 2 seniors on the thread.

1. Gaffer - your 5.56 would have been the 23rd fastest 1 mile time run in 2019 in the UK (VM60-64)

2. My 6.24 would have been the 18th fastest time for the 65-69.

Some (rather large) caveats:

a) these are for recorded times on Run Britain for official races - not time trials;

b) it doesn't look as though many official races at that distance are run, just a few meets in May and June.

TBH there would be loads of faster buggers than us (I think I'm 185th in my category for parkrun which is a bit more realistic.)

So the 'results' (from Run Britain) are extremely flattering. But let's take them!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Some ego fodder for the 2 seniors on the thread.

1. Gaffer - your 5.56 would have been the 23rd fastest 1 mile time run in 2019 in the UK (VM60-64)

2. My 6.24 would have been the 18th fastest time for the 65-69.

Some (rather large) caveats:

a) these are for recorded times on Run Britain for official races - not time trials;

b) it doesn't look as though many official races at that distance are run, just a few meets in May and June.

TBH there would be loads of faster buggers than us (I think I'm 185th in my category for parkrun which is a bit more realistic.)

So the 'results' (from Run Britain) are extremely flattering. But let's take them!

Well I’d like to congratulate both athletes on those amazing stats! I have done some more research and found that dividing a mile time by 1.08 gives a good indication of a 1500m time. Mine would be 5:30. Now Mr Gasson ran 5:00 1500m at 63. Maybe the top boys ran 1500m rather than the mile?
No track events this year but might have a crack at 1500m if possible next year. Think you would enjoy it too.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well I’d like to congratulate both athletes on those amazing stats! I have done some more research and found that dividing a mile time by 1.08 gives a good indication of a 1500m time. Mine would be 5:30. Now Mr Gasson ran 5:00 1500m at 63. Maybe the top boys ran 1500m rather than the mile?
No track events this year but might have a crack at 1500m if possible next year. Think you would enjoy it too.

The 2019 stats for the 1500 are that 126 athletes were listed, so not perhaps as popular as anticipated. The winner did 4.43.31, which is in fact a criminal act. A time of 5.30 would have got you 42nd place. But (and you know this better than I do) the uneven pacing of a race might add some time to a time trial PB - but probably compensated by the adrenaline effect?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The 2019 stats for the 1500 are that 126 athletes were listed, so not perhaps as popular as anticipated. The winner did 4.43.31, which is in fact a criminal act. A time of 5.30 would have got you 42nd place. But (and you know this better than I do) the uneven pacing of a race might add some time to a time trial PB - but probably compensated by the adrenaline effect?

Plus you tend to run further on a track as is hard to keep on the inside in a bunch of runners.

I can see one of the reasons why you like cricket. Same with me. Stats.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here