Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I think we are at the same time the best and the worst people to ask for/give advice. The best because most of us have been running for a number of years and have learned a lot; the worst because we don't actually act on what we know! Most of the regulars here walk (or run) along a very thin line between maintaining/improving performance and getting injured. Most of us stray the wrong side of that line at times and that's why at any given time a number of us are crocked.
Artie's has nailed it...………….and after 35 years of running it's good to be reminded of these first principles.

And if you really can’t resist a run, then run as slow as possible. I’ve ran through injuries but speed work is a big no, no.

As mentioned above the key is to differentiate between pain (stop) and tightness (stop or slow down).

Go for a bike ride, swim or walk instead if necessary.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Managed my first decent 5k today since surgery on a leg injury in February.

Went at 4pm, just as the heat of the day was fading a little and the scent from the cow parsley and hawthorn blossom was immense. Looking forward to another more gentle 5k tomorrow with my 10 year old daughter, who will doubtless leave me trailing...

It's good to be back :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oh - I'll get me coat then.

I did (I think) actually beat the bugger once. I must have been absolutely at the top of my game and he was probably recovering from a leg amputation.

Just got caught out by the new Waitrose opening. Arrived at 8.30 to join queue and found out 9am opening this week. Waited patiently till 9am at which time they collected all the old and frail from within a mile radius making us wait another 30 minutes. Cheered myself at the thought of Mr Gasson cheerfully turning up at 9:15 and walking straight in to the store.

Will be resuming running this morning after a jolly good rest.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
Haven't posted on here for a while, so thought I'd better sign in and say hello :wave:

I had a minor groin niggle at the back end of March/first week of April which put me on the bench for 10 days, since then I've managed to go out running every day for 31 consecutive days, covering 180 miles in the process (with no single run greater than 8.5 miles). Passed through 700 miles for the year yesterday too. Taking away the daily commute has allowed me to run more frequently, just at a lower distance than would normally be the case.

This morning I've also recorded my lowest ever weight (151.0 lb) since I started daily weighing a couple of years ago. I put this down to the avoidance of office treats!!

As much as lockdown has been a pain, missing not seeing friends/family, work colleagues, going to the pub, something called football... it's undeniable that it has had certain silver linings for me.

Stay safe everyone, I'll see you on a Parkrun start line sometime soon(ish) hopefully...:thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Checked our times on Facebook against the Preston Park Magic Mile group challenge from last week and we got 1st Place, tie for 2nd place and a tie for 3rd place. Not too serious an event in lockdown but our boys certainly done well.

Their first 2 were Arena with big Timmy Geddin at 4:59 and little Del Wallace at 5:22.

Him and his old man feature at or near the top of nearly every Strava segment in and around Burgess Hill.......[emoji2959]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I had one of my most enjoyable runs this morning. Weather was great and the course was spot on (up the riverbank to the bridge near Bramber, up the SDW Beeding Hill, back down the rough rocky road and back down the other side of the river, through the airport and back to the sea at low tide. Half marathon and took the opportunities to stop and let people through.

Talking of other sports, I waited at three bottom of the hill for an old fella on his bike. Turned out he lives just down the road from me, cycled/ran every day and is some kind of orienteering legend. He claimed (I take everything with a pinch of salt) that he's won world and national titles for it and was meant to be going to the World Masters or something next week. Now, I know naff all about the sport - and a search brought up nothing - but does he ring any bells with anyone?

He told me he used to do mountain marathons and went into great detail about his training runs. Unfortunately I'm shite with directions, so probably wouldn't be able to find the start of where he was on about, let alone follow the route [emoji23]

Anyway, great run - Good Old Sussex By The Sea!
a13d6b99b06f54ca4eeca1fbc401ad28.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Him and his old man feature at or near the top of nearly every Strava segment in and around Burgess Hill.......[emoji2959]

I've watched him win the Middle Mile at Withdean. Efffortless despite being a big lad and must weigh tons. 4:20 mile pb!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Runstreak Day 100 here.

The plan was to be up early and try for a 10km PB when I would have to wait minimal times to cross the A27 (twice) and the A259 (twice) and also have fewer social distancing swerves onto grass verges and pavements.

Unfortunately I drank far too much and stayed up far too late last night for that to be a possibility.

The sensible thing would have been to wait until the evening when it was cooler, but that would also mean letting this gorgeous day pass without having a drop to drink. So I went out with Accuweather saying it was a balmy RealFeel of 25 degrees.

Anyway, I managed a PB, although I was hanging on a bit at the end. I've improved from 44:34 to 43:58. My next target for this distance will be to see if I can average 7 minutes per mile, which will take another 30 seconds or so off that.

Time to drink...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Runstreak Day 100 here.

The plan was to be up early and try for a 10km PB when I would have to wait minimal times to cross the A27 (twice) and the A259 (twice) and also have fewer social distancing swerves onto grass verges and pavements.

Unfortunately I drank far too much and stayed up far too late last night for that to be a possibility.

The sensible thing would have been to wait until the evening when it was cooler, but that would also mean letting this gorgeous day pass without having a drop to drink. So I went out with Accuweather saying it was a balmy RealFeel of 25 degrees.

Anyway, I managed a PB, although I was hanging on a bit at the end. I've improved from 44:34 to 43:58. My next target for this distance will be to see if I can average 7 minutes per mile, which will take another 30 seconds or so off that.

Time to drink...

Always great to get a PB. Mine are so few and far between I resemble Marco Tardelli in 1982 on the rare occasion I get one.

But without wanting to piss on your chips, I reckon you’re capable of a lot more than that based on mileage and recent times you’ve posted. I reckon sub 43 is within reach with decent conditions.

Enforced rest day for me today. A real battle with myself not to get out but I stayed strong and hope to feel better for a run tomorrow morning.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Always great to get a PB. Mine are so few and far between I resemble Marco Tardelli in 1982 on the rare occasion I get one.

But without wanting to piss on your chips, I reckon you’re capable of a lot more than that based on mileage and recent times you’ve posted. I reckon sub 43 is within reach with decent conditions.

Enforced rest day for me today. A real battle with myself not to get out but I stayed strong and hope to feel better for a run tomorrow morning.

Oh, I agree - I think there's more to come. My legs have been weary for a couple of weeks now. I think it's the morning PE lesson with Joe Wicks as much as the running - squats and lunges etc just use my legs in different ways, but I think it's worth persevering with as, in the long-term, I should have better all-round conditioning. It's why I went for the 10km PB, as it just felt easier for me to achieve than either 5km or the HM.

Today I had to make social-distancing swerves onto verges roads c20 times, which all serves to disrupt rhythm and progress. I also nearly got knocked over crossing the A27 - it's the second near miss I've had in the last two weeks or so. I came to a grinding stop as did the driver of the car that realised I'd not seen them!

D

Deleted member 2719

Oh, I agree - I think there's more to come. My legs have been weary for a couple of weeks now. I think it's the morning PE lesson with Joe Wicks as much as the running - squats and lunges etc just use my legs in different ways, but I think it's worth persevering with as, in the long-term, I should have better all-round conditioning. It's why I went for the 10km PB, as it just felt easier for me to achieve than either 5km or the HM.

Today I had to make social-distancing swerves onto verges roads c20 times, which all serves to disrupt rhythm and progress. I also nearly got knocked over crossing the A27 - it's the second near miss I've had in the last two weeks or so. I came to a grinding stop as did the driver of the car that realised I'd not seen them!

We have enjoyed the Wicks workouts the kids are pumped right up, mind you I do feel a bit conscious of bouncing like a joey for 30 seconds!

With a 46 year age gap between me and my 10 year old daughter she whips me at the burpees!

I have been going out early as always but even in quite wide areas I have had to move/swerve because dog walkers, who just don't give and inch.
I also had a cyclist fly past me at top speed the other day shouting 'coming through'.

With two misses with cars I think it might be worth changing your route if possible!

Stay safe as they currently say!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Agree with this, your race times will be quite a bit better than any (inaccurate) strava-timed solo efforts.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A new time for the mile has passed VAR from [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] Takes [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] time by a second. Remember you can have as many goes as you like.

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
Fitzcarraldo 76.04% 4:53
GNT 73.65% 6:33
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Ninja 69.89% 5:21
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39
Penny's Harmonica 68.60% 6:17

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
A new time for the mile has passed VAR from [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] Takes [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] time by a second. Remember you can have as many goes as you like.

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
Fitzcarraldo 76.04% 4:53
GNT 73.65% 6:33
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Ninja 69.89% 5:21
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39
Penny's Harmonica 68.60% 6:17

Good to see the Ninja back.

Just an update to my 'scores' - 6.24, giving a 75.37%. Doesn't change my position but it edges me a bit closer to yours (for now). Many thanks.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I nearly came to grief there once running, but it's worse on a bike.

When I used to bike back from Falmer to Worthing I tried to beat my previous times. I found I was beginning to take silly risks and was becoming a danger to myself and probably to others too. I had to stop doing it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
We have enjoyed the Wicks workouts the kids are pumped right up, mind you I do feel a bit conscious of bouncing like a joey for 30 seconds!

With a 46 year age gap between me and my 10 year old daughter she whips me at the burpees!

I have been going out early as always but even in quite wide areas I have had to move/swerve because dog walkers, who just don't give and inch.
I also had a cyclist fly past me at top speed the other day shouting 'coming through'.

With two misses with cars I think it might be worth changing your route if possible!

Stay safe as they currently say!

Mrs GNT does these. I only watch when Mrs Joe is presenting. I don't think I could survive one of these workouts. Overdoing the running just makes the rest of you seize up. I take comfort in the thought that Joe, Mrs Joe and Mrs GNT couldn't run a 'quick' mile.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham

Is there a succession plan for my NSC which obviously is a lot more important than your well being?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here