Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
VAR has found 2 seconds! Mile reached from standing in that time. So an incredible 4:53 at 76.04%, if your 29.

You ran it home at sub 4" mile pace.

Brilliant. Go on, tell you are over 50 to really rub it in.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Here's a few hamstring stretches that you might want to try - https://www.verywellfit.com/hamstring-stretches-2696359

The standing hamstring stretch where you cross one leg over the other leg and bend down to try to touch the floor is good. Best to do both legs.

If you have a resistance band (or a long piece of fabric will do) #5 is also a good method to stretch your hamstrings and calves out while sitting on the floor. Again best to do both legs.

Another good one is the wall hamstring stretch - while lying on the floor raise either one or both legs up against the wall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U4ChnuL3JM

If you don't already have a foam roller it might be worth looking at purchasing one. They're very good to roll your hamstrings to loosen any tightness or knots.

Cheers. Will give those a try. Have considered getting a foam roller, they have them in my gym and I’ve clumsily used them, and even without really knowing what I’m doing it’s still helped. Will look into buying one

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] and [MENTION=17677]Fitzcarraldo[/MENTION] fine efforts put them in the highly coveted NSC Mile Challenge table.

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
Fitzcarraldo 76.04% 4:53
GNT 73.65% 6:33
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39
Penny's Harmonica 68.60% 6:17

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another way of looking at it. I prefer the AG table. I notice 4 of us are better of with AG ranking and 3 with time ranking. That settles it.

Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
First potential injury for some time. My left glute is really tight. I’ve had it before so upping the stretches and this morning I spinal flossed.

Not sure whether to rest or take a nice easy run for 30 minutes this morning. Any recommendations out there?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
First potential injury for some time. My left glute is really tight. I’ve had it before so upping the stretches and this morning I spinal flossed.

Not sure whether to rest or take a nice easy run for 30 minutes this morning. Any recommendations out there?

If in doubt REST. I'm just having an extra day off.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Another way of looking at it. I prefer the AG table. I notice 4 of us are better of with AG ranking and 3 with time ranking. That settles it.

Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22

On which subject, just back from posting 6.24 and a 75.37% AG which has no effect whatever my positions in either of the 2 tables! But it feels good, especially on the back of almost zero training.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Old adage.....take 3 days off now, or 3 months off from tomorrow after your run......

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Old adage.....take 3 days off now, or 3 months off from tomorrow after your run......

I’ll take tomorrow off, after going out for a slow 3 miles. It didn’t feel too bad but a bit of rest wouldn’t go amiss. I’d like to run Sunday ideally but will monitor.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
What’s the pain threshold that you guys run through? Or do you distinguish between general aches and tightness and actual pain caused by a specific injury? I want to run, but don’t want to cause further damage to myself and as a relative beginner I’m not so in tune with listening to my body and knowing what’s best

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22

That's a really impressive set of times. Strong running guys! :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Roll the glutes and hamstrings with a foam roller and tennis ball to try to loosen any tightness in the glute if it's not too painful (stop if there's any sharp/stabbing pain) and glute & hip flexor stretches and hopefully it will settle down over the next day or so.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
What’s the pain threshold that you guys run through? Or do you distinguish between general aches and tightness and actual pain caused by a specific injury? I want to run, but don’t want to cause further damage to myself and as a relative beginner I’m not so in tune with listening to my body and knowing what’s best

I don't run if I experience any pain running as that is a red flag that I'm injured. It's usually a sign the body is angry at us for not being able to take on and absorb the cumulative work or load over a period to time. General tightness is pretty common and it's something that I always monitor and try to keep on top of with stretching, rest and recovery.

Injuries usually occur through (what I harp on about here) the Terrible Too's - Too Much, Too Soon, Too Hard, Too Often. It's a bit of a balancing act when it comes to raising the amount of time spent running to improve. Rest is best usually.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
That's a really impressive set of times. Strong running guys! :thumbsup:

Checked our times on Facebook against the Preston Park Magic Mile group challenge from last week and we got 1st Place, tie for 2nd place and a tie for 3rd place. Not too serious an event in lockdown but our boys certainly done well.

Their first 2 were Arena with big Timmy Geddin at 4:59 and little Del Wallace at 5:22.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Checked our times on Facebook against the Preston Park Magic Mile group challenge from last week and we got 1st Place, tie for 2nd place and a tie for 3rd place. Not too serious an event in lockdown but our boys certainly done well.

Their first 2 were Arena with big Timmy Geddin at 4:59 and little Del Wallace at 5:22.

I’m surprised, Del Wallace is far better than that. He should definitely be sub 5 minutes. Good showing from our boys though. Need [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] to get involved he should be very quick.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’m surprised, Del Wallace is far better than that. He should definitely be sub 5 minutes. Good showing from our boys though. Need [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] to get involved he should be very quick.

Both 20+ seconds of top form.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

I think we are at the same time the best and the worst people to ask for/give advice. The best because most of us have been running for a number of years and have learned a lot; the worst because we don't actually act on what we know! Most of the regulars here walk (or run) along a very thin line between maintaining/improving performance and getting injured. Most of us stray the wrong side of that line at times and that's why at any given time a number of us are crocked.
Artie's has nailed it...………….and after 35 years of running it's good to be reminded of these first principles.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Shame they didn't use the AG too. We might have pushed them a bit more, maybe. (Although with some of those fierce women vets I suspect not.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here