Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
...cheers. I wouldn't have posted with the shame, unless I was on the mend.:lol:

Many signs are good. Resting heart rate at usual 42 and heavy sleeping are not signs of overtraining. I've put on a few pounds to be touching my all time max weight and feeling in great leg condition.

Cool....I'm going to have a modest volume uptick myself (ahead of a 'virtual race' at the end of the month target I've set myself), will be interested to see if I can cope......................I need to get some weight off though, this 'all day grazing' isn't helping :rolleyes:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cool....I'm going to have a modest volume uptick myself (ahead of a 'virtual race' at the end of the month target I've set myself), will be interested to see if I can cope......................I need to get some weight off though, this 'all day grazing' isn't helping :rolleyes:

I'm guessing that the Centurion one? What's your plan/distance?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
...cheers. I wouldn't have posted with the shame, unless I was on the mend.:lol:

Many signs are good. Resting heart rate at usual 42 and heavy sleeping are not signs of overtraining. I've put on a few pounds to be touching my all time max weight and feeling in great leg condition.

You putting on a few pounds probably means that you're up to half my weight now. I noticed that Garmin Connect gives you your BMI. At the moment I'm obese and to fit into the 'healthy' category, I need to be between about 10 stone and 13 stone :eek:

Take it easy Gaffer...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Hats off for your average resting heart beat.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running

Take it easy Gaffer :thumbsup: good to hear you're banking some solid sleep.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
It is.......just needed some kind of 'incentive' to help the day to day training along. Have registered for 50m (not cumulative though)

I'm tempted to put my name in the hat and have a crack at the 100 miles over the 7 days dazzer. If I'm still working from home that week (which I probably will be) I think I might have an outside shot at completing it. I won't be worrying about the cumulative time but it might be fun to try to hit 100 miles in a week which I've never done before.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You putting on a few pounds probably means that you're up to half my weight now. I noticed that Garmin Connect gives you your BMI. At the moment I'm obese and to fit into the 'healthy' category, I need to be between about 10 stone and 13 stone :eek:

Take it easy Gaffer...

The NHS BMI calculator says I’m 3lbs from obesity!

Warning given:

“You are in the healthy weight range, but at the higher end. Keep an eye on your weight and try to stay in the healthy range.”

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Warning given:

“You are in the healthy weight range, but at the higher end. Keep an eye on your weight and try to stay in the healthy range.”

I only got that message when I faked my own (actual) weight. BMI is now 26.9 – but it's down from 28.1, so moving in the right direction.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It is.......just needed some kind of 'incentive' to help the day to day training along. Have registered for 50m (not cumulative though)

Is the route one half of the SDW? :D

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It just occurred to me: we spend a lot of time on the thread talking about running (doh!). But what other sporting interests or achievements have we managed? Could we put together a decent football team between us? Has anyone played representative sport to any sort of level?

I'll start the ball rolling. This would usually give me a platform to boast - but I've got naff-all to boast about, as you'll see. So I'm selflessly putting the bar very low. That's the sort of guy I am.

Football - utter gash. Couldn't head, tackle or even see much of the pitch. 5-a-side was better as I had a decent engine.

Cricket - mad keen but pretty crap. School 2nd Xl. Played some village cricket. Bowled flighted filth and had one decent shot; I was hard to get out. Highlight: I once played for an Invitational Xl (the invitation was made through pity) and played in the same side as someone who played alongside Richard Hadlee.

Squash - played a bit at university. Crap.

That's about it. Running is just about the only sporting thing (some would say the only thing) I've been half-decent at. Indeed, were I to be honest, I might be tempted to say that part of the motivation lies in thinking of all the lads at school who were good at everything but now couldn't keep up with me (I hope).

So - no false modesty. What have you got??

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Managed to have a go at the mile challenge. 6:17 according to Garmin with AG 68:60. Tough going and unable to avoid starting off too quick and feeling it at with a third of a mile to go. I really don’t want to do it again but I set out to get into the 70’s and being so close means I’ll have another crack next week.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It just occurred to me: we spend a lot of time on the thread talking about running (doh!). But what other sporting interests or achievements have we managed? Could we put together a decent football team between us? Has anyone played representative sport to any sort of level?

I'll start the ball rolling. This would usually give me a platform to boast - but I've got naff-all to boast about, as you'll see. So I'm selflessly putting the bar very low. That's the sort of guy I am.

Football - utter gash. Couldn't head, tackle or even see much of the pitch. 5-a-side was better as I had a decent engine.

Cricket - mad keen but pretty crap. School 2nd Xl. Played some village cricket. Bowled flighted filth and had one decent shot; I was hard to get out. Highlight: I once played for an Invitational Xl (the invitation was made through pity) and played in the same side as someone who played alongside Richard Hadlee.

That's about it. Running is just about the only sporting thing (some would say the only thing) I've been half-decent at. Indeed, were I to be honest, I might be tempted to say that part of the motivation lies in thinking of all the lads at school who were good at everything but now couldn't keep up with me (I hope).

Football - odd game for the village when they were short. Rubbish - couldn't tackle.
Cricket - very keen. Played club cricket from about 14, captained village but we never played to a very high league standard. Opening bowler (swing) and middle order blacksmith-type batsman. Played until my early 30s, would have done so regularly again in the last few years through junior's club but can't bowl due to a severe shoulder injury (which I got playing in a social game with work) so lost interest in just fielding and have re-retired
Hockey - loved it, played league for a couple of years in Jersey but wasn't very good at it
Golf - took up in mid 30s, quickly got down to a 12 handicap, now back at about 20 (at best). Fair-weather player at the moment, once a month or so plus an annual away trip. No control, I lose a lose of balls.
Squash - keen social player for a while, but not very good at all. Not played for years
Fishing (stop sniggering) - several years in competitive match angling up to National Championships. Couple of decent wins over the years in county league matches and opens. Itching to start up again as soon as I have time
Darts - competed at county level as a junior, pub leagues when I moved to Sussex but not played competitively for ages (still got a board in the kitchen and play quite often though)
Athletics - held the school record for javelin, went to the regional trails and realised my school was in fact CRAP
Running - crap. Never really did any until mid-30s, first event was Brighton 10k in about 2004. Still rubbish but enjoy it 75 marathons/ultras in and counting

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Football - odd game for the village when they were short. Rubbish - couldn't tackle.
Cricket - very keen. Played club cricket from about 14, captained village but we never played to a very high league standard. Opening bowler (swing) and middle order blacksmith-type batsman. Played until my early 30s, would have done so regularly again in the last few years through junior's club but can't bowl due to a severe shoulder injury (which I got playing in a social game with work) so lost interest in just fielding and have re-retired
Hockey - loved it, played league for a couple of years in Jersey but wasn't very good at it
Golf - took up in mid 30s, quickly got down to a 12 handicap, now back at about 20 (at best). Fair-weather player at the moment, once a month or so plus an annual away trip. No control, I lose a lose of balls.
Squash - keen social player for a while, but not very good at all. Not played for years
Fishing (stop sniggering) - several years in competitive match angling up to National Championships. Couple of decent wins over the years in county league matches and opens. Itching to start up again as soon as I have time
Darts - competed at county level as a junior, pub leagues when I moved to Sussex but not played competitively for ages (still got a board in the kitchen and play quite often though)
Athletics - held the school record for javelin, went to the regional trails and realised my school was in fact CRAP
Running - crap. Never really did any until mid-30s, first event was Brighton 10k in about 2004. Still rubbish but enjoy it 75 marathons/ultras in and counting

Great stuff. the bar has got (a bit!) higher.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton

I often wonder if i'd have been very good at one sport if i'd just concentrated on one thing - my parents very much encouraged me to try loads of things, which was fun, and as such was ok at a variety of things without ever being 'great'.

Golf - got down to 8 handicap at one point but would guess around 15ish now
Cricket - jack of all trades player in an OK village team. Really enjoyed it but moved away which meant the days became way too long.
Football - turned out for a variety of academies in my teens (even once for the albion v colchester!) but was binned off when it became obvious I was far too slow and small. Captained School team etc and still turn out for my local team if not watching The Albion.

My best sport is probably table tennis and played that at uni for 4 years which was great. Running was just something I did to keep fit however I really enjoy the mental health improvements side that running gives which is more a motivating factor for me

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Slow, clogging centre back. Half decent in the air with a tendency to "get rid if it". However, despite being utterly terrible at football I played Premier League and have played several times in an international stadium!

It helped that I moved to Taiwan for three years so I played ex-pat football in The Tavern Taipei Premier League. I played for Carnegies (anyone who has been to Taipei has probably danced on the bar at some point) although the league was named by the main league sponsor, a fat Swiss bloke called Michel who owned the bar where most people watched English football - hence the Premier League.

The usual winners of the league were the Taipei Red Lions. Because Taiwan's national team hardly ever played and were only amateurs they used to lease the national stadium pitch and changing rooms to all comers and the Red Lions made it their home ground. We also used to train there with them on a Thursday night. Every now and again the Thursday training sesh would be replaced by a friendly, and so it was here that I played against someone who had played for Bayren Munich (I've told this story on here before).

He'd been an integral part of the Bayren youth team but had suffered a horrific knee injury which ended his career in football, and found himself in Taiwan, teaching. He played very occasionally for the Red Lions but not often because a) he was brilliant but b) he could normally only last about 2 minutes.

In this particular game I was moved to the unfamiliar environs of right back and he was playing left wing. At the time I had no idea he'd played pro, nor that his knee was dodgy and the lads didn't tell me because they thought it would be funny. A long diagonal ball came out to my wing, he got to it first, killed it with one touch, moved inside with his second touch and put it in the opposite top corner from about 35 yards with his third. Cue lots of laughing.

My mate then two footed him He went off screaming and never played again. Apologies for those that have now read this twice but it is very definitely my sporting claim to fame :lolol:

Here the stadium is in all it's glory. I can't emphasise enough that it was EMPTY when we played and spectators for the Premier League games would have been outnumbered by your average Sussex Sunday League Under 11s Division 3 game.

chungshan_stadium02.jpg

I was also shit at cricket but all my funny stories about that actually involve [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION]

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Warning given:

Similar......24 point something...............

I only got that message when I faked my own (actual) weight. BMI is now 26.9 – but it's down from 28.1, so moving in the right direction.

Isn't obese a 30% plus BMI?

So, if you're in the 24's you're close to overweight not obese surely

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here