Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
100% hear you. I get really caught up with this type of thing. Have cut back what I want to carry to my phone and a single key and yet there aren’t any shorts I’ve found that work in the right way.

When the whether’s changeable I can get by with running in a lightweight gilet that has appropriate pockets but anything warmer and I resort to a bum bag that flaps around all over the place and annoys me.

I’ve tried the armband but they always find a way to ride down the arm and require readjustment. And don’t get me started on running back packs.

I’m a poor runner as that type of thing screws with my headspace and distracts me way too much!

Try these – they are the ones I was on about in grey that look like PE shorts!

https://www.runnersneed.com/p/ronhill-men-s-momentum-twin-7-short-K1614435.html?colour=3620

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I take a phone just in case (injury, lost, call emergency number) and if I want to take some photos (which happens occasionally). It's not intrusive because I have it on silent and ignore any messages (plus because it's typically stupid o'clock, no bugger is about anyway!).

Talking of which, I had a great run up the Adur riverbank this morning with only really sheep for company. There were three dog walkers who had congregated on the western path near the Beeding Bridge who were clearly NOT going to move. That's not a problem, but they effectively ignored me as I left the path to the lower bit, ran past them and then scrambled back to the top one, where the dogs looked like they were ready to pounce! And yet WE are the bad guys...

So 20 miles for May and weight is down from 15st to 14st 2.5lb in three weeks. Gearing up nicely for an attempt in the NSC Mile Challenge (formally known as the GnT Mile Challenge) at some point over the next couple of weeks...

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Due to this lockdown and being furloughed from work I’ve been running more than normal and unfortunately developed really IT bands. Due to the conditions of the lockdown I cannot visit a physio to get the muscle stripped and rolled out. I spend time on a foam roller each evening but still find my bands getting tighter each week.
Can anyone recommend any tried and tested exercises or different rollers to reduce tight IT bands?
Thanks in advance NSC runners.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Due to this lockdown and being furloughed from work I’ve been running more than normal and unfortunately developed really IT bands. Due to the conditions of the lockdown I cannot visit a physio to get the muscle stripped and rolled out. I spend time on a foam roller each evening but still find my bands getting tighter each week.
Can anyone recommend any tried and tested exercises or different rollers to reduce tight IT bands?

IT band issues tend to stem from weak glute muscles. I’d work on this and make sure your shoes haven’t done too many miles. Also running on grass or off-road would help.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I do the seated pigeon after every run. You could google that or try variants. It’s nigh impossible to do if ITB have tightened too much.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Have you tried running without your phone? Or do you rely on that for GPS? I love running without, it’s possibly the only time I’m not connected and it’s a nice feeling to be uncontactable.

I always take my phone on a long run. I feel like it would be good to have in an emergency. In fact, I'm taking my phone on every run at the moment. It's always hidden away in my back pocket with the sound turned off, so I'm not checking messages or anything.
[MENTION=27836]Barham's tash[/MENTION] As for shorts to carry a phone in, I have a few pairs I bought from Decathlon which are perfect for all my carrying needs

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/m-trail-baggy-shorts-black-id_8503016.html

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I also carry a phone on every run and have an app called what3words which can find you to within 3 square metres just by you sending out a text to emergency services with a three word code on. Basically, some dude split the world up into 3 metre squares and each one has a unique combination of three words to name it. They've found people in rooms in fires or hostage situations using it apparently but, given my heavy footing and clumsiness it's there in case I snag myself on some barbed wire or piss off a snake while I'm on the downs. For normal runs it's there to phone the Mrs if I get injured a fair way from home.

I use a bum bag for phone and my keys. It's big enough to shove a few gels in as well. I got it from Sweat Shop for the Brighton Half and I think it may be a smaller version of this

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/sportswear-heritage-hip-pack-Ttj8Pf/BA5750-010

Anyway it doesn't annoy me.

On longer runs I've now just taken to using the Soloman vest Dazzer recommended with a soft flask of squash, a couple of gels and, of course. phone and keys.

A couple of friends use flipbelts. I tried it but found it fiddly to extract a gel from at pace.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Thanks all, some great useful tid bits to try out here. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] [MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION] - all great tips.

Interested to read about trainers causing IT band issues. Luckily Mrs Barham’s Tash is a reflexologist and holistic massage therapist with a couple of marathons under her belt so I get no sympathy but treatments on tap to ease most things.

Anyone with lower back, hamstring or IT issues needs to get their psoas muscle released. THE most painful thing I’ve ever experienced therapy wise but intensely effective at all kinds of issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psoas_major_muscle?wprov=sfti1

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I also carry a phone on every run and have an app called what3words which can find you to within 3 square metres just by you sending out a text to emergency services with a three word code on. Basically, some dude split the world up into 3 metre squares and each one has a unique combination of three words to name it. They've found people in rooms in fires or hostage situations using it apparently but, given my heavy footing and clumsiness it's there in case I snag myself on some barbed wire or piss off a snake while I'm on the downs. For normal runs it's there to phone the Mrs if I get injured a fair way from home.

I use a bum bag for phone and my keys. It's big enough to shove a few gels in as well. I got it from Sweat Shop for the Brighton Half and I think it may be a smaller version of this

https://www.nike.com/gb/t/sportswear-heritage-hip-pack-Ttj8Pf/BA5750-010

Anyway it doesn't annoy me.

On longer runs I've now just taken to using the Soloman vest Dazzer recommended with a soft flask of squash, a couple of gels and, of course. phone and keys.

A couple of friends use flipbelts. I tried it but found it fiddly to extract a gel from at pace.

:moo::rolleyes::laugh::laugh: Just stop then :smile:

Anyway, if I do have to take 'stuff', I use a Nathan belt for mid-length runs (up to say 3 - 3.5 hours or so and where the weather isn't likely to change much) - mostly to carry water (the two smaller bottles are much better than a single bigger one - far less bounce, and especially useful if there are taps en route like on the SDW) and I can fit a phone, gels and keys in the main bit easily. It's then the full Salomon vest for the longer stuff or where I need extra kit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nathan-Hyd...17453&refinements=p_89:Nathan&s=sports&sr=1-2

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Hit my 50 day Corona running streak today!

Started when my son went into strict lockdown in Spain with no exercise allowed, not knowing what our lockdown rules would be.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cripes: 32%! The Bostal at Steyning is net 17% with some bits I think around 27% and that's hard.

Where the second dog is, is the point I had to rest.

1037E8D5-CAB8-4F79-A037-DF9D70617A7E.jpeg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just got back from a shoddy intervals session. Actually it was more chasing Strava segments, but I thought I'd add in a few 'sprints'.

Anyway, what it did show me - as I glanced down at my watch during one of the faster bits at a 6:55 miles/min pace - is that I'm nowhere near ther levels of seeing a decent mile time.

Anyone got any tips of where I can get some speed? [emoji23]

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Just got back from a shoddy intervals session. Actually it was more chasing Strava segments, but I thought I'd add in a few 'sprints'.

Anyway, what it did show me - as I glanced down at my watch during one of the faster bits at a 6:55 miles/min pace - is that I'm nowhere near ther levels of seeing a decent mile time.

Anyone got any tips of where I can get some speed? [emoji23]

1. Study the photo above of 'Gaffer Hill'.

2. Go to the top of it.

3. Lean forward and put one foot in front of the other...……………..

4. When you regain consciousness at the bottom I guarantee a PB.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
1. Study the photo above of 'Gaffer Hill'.

2. Go to the top of it.

3. Lean forward and put one foot in front of the other...……………..

4. When you regain consciousness at the bottom I guarantee a PB.

2 weeks of sudden high mileage, hills and a peer pressure mile effort have done for me. Few days rest required with dizziness, gentle headache and no strength in legs. Lymph node pain in neck is a warning and something I’m used to from overdoing it in the past.

Not worried as I have trained previously with “2 week block sessions” followed by ample rest and recovery. Have taken iron supplements, slept for ages and should only need till the weekend.

I’ll spend my time finalising the NSC virtual Weakest Link Relay format for mid June.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
2 weeks of sudden high mileage, hills and a peer pressure mile effort have done for me. Few days rest required with dizziness, gentle headache and no strength in legs. Lymph node pain in neck is a warning and something I’m used to from overdoing it in the past.

Not worried as I have trained previously with “2 week block sessions” followed by ample rest and recovery. Have taken iron supplements, slept for ages and should only need till the weekend.

I’ll spend my time finalising the NSC virtual Weakest Link Relay format for mid June.

A classic case of knowing your body. I know mine, and don't like it very much.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Hopefully you will get well soon.

When you were battling the dreaded cough did it make sudden but weaker reappearances? I have benched myself again after 2 days of regular but gentle coughing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Take it easy Gaffer - you know yourself best, but did think the jump in volume looked a bit ambitious..........

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hopefully you will get well soon.

When you were battling the dreaded cough did it make sudden but weaker reappearances? I have benched myself again after 2 days of regular but gentle coughing.

You’re doing the right thing.
I only coughed after the mile effort otherwise just “chesty”. What surprised me was not being able to catch breath at start of a Sunday long slow run. Legs fine but puffing at 10” pace on the flat. I’m a talker not a puffer!

The mile effort was foolish but I don’t mind months off after that.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Take it easy Gaffer - you know yourself best, but did think the jump in volume looked a bit ambitious..........

...cheers. I wouldn't have posted with the shame, unless I was on the mend.:lol:

Many signs are good. Resting heart rate at usual 42 and heavy sleeping are not signs of overtraining. I've put on a few pounds to be touching my all time max weight and feeling in great leg condition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here