Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Question for all:

Footwear aside, although go there if you have any game changing tips, does clothing/apparel make a significant difference to your runs?

I’m not talking pace per se but comfort, ease and helping you to just run.

I’ve got about five pairs of running shorts, all slightly different - webbing/no webbing, pockets/no pockets etc all bought with a key purpose in mind and yet I often fixate if the pair I want aren’t clean and it really puts me off! Anyone else?

Nope. I just need to be comfortable. I've been out in non matching colours and shorts I've not washed for three runs if I've needed to. My only fixations are clean, blister proof socks and gloves in the winter because I get Raynauds.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Question for all:

Footwear aside, although go there if you have any game changing tips, does clothing/apparel make a significant difference to your runs?

I’ve got about five pairs of running shorts, all slightly different - webbing/no webbing, pockets/no pockets etc all bought with a key purpose in mind and yet I often fixate if the pair I want aren’t clean and it really puts me off! Anyone else?

I've been an average runner for many years and always feel much more comfortable wearing running tights/leggings, even in the summer. As GB says above, I have my favourite socks and if two Rights or two Lefts have been incorrectly paired (they have L or R on them) there has to be an enquiry. I have a spare draw for odd socks and enjoy the pairing process every couple of weeks. Oh, and like most men, runners and/or football fans, I'm not OCD!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Question for all:

I must have spent about three years looking for a pair of shorts that had zip up pockets (how else do you carry stuff safely?) without webbing and weren’t stupid short. The Albion training ones from seven years ago were perfect but I’ve never found anything to match them. Finally settled for some 2XU ones - they are webbed but I’ll cut it out if I need to!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I really need to get better at doing my stretching and yoga daily, I always feel like a rattly collection of unconnected bones when I start running, not helped by pretty much always starting uphill.

Managed 15 miles today though, but I do not feel like I have marathon pace in me at the moment. Need to start planning for September...

As an aside I'm not sure whether the mental benefits of running have been mentioned much during these weird times we're living in - certainly Mrs Orange has noted that the days she's managed to get out for a run before settling in the study to work she's been much more positive in her outlook.

Massively......at the moment I think the mental benefits are more important than the physical benefits.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Welcome back boss [emoji106] Guarantee you will have lost a lot less fitness than you think

Cheers.

All about perception innit.

Me - I can't believe I was knackered after four 10 minute miles
My Mrs - I can't believe you ran four miles less than a week after needing me to pick up an emergency prescription

:lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I must have spent about three years looking for a pair of shorts that had zip up pockets (how else do you carry stuff safely?) without webbing and weren’t stupid short. The Albion training ones from seven years ago were perfect but I’ve never found anything to match them. Finally settled for some 2XU ones - they are webbed but I’ll cut it out if I need to!

Found just those few months ago in Uniqlo. Good drying material. Zip, long leg, comfortable and no webbing. Two pairs bought. https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/produc...1UNm69XJQhgmCyGwY_VnOGiwHIcUyGckaApRyEALw_wcB

The dry ex T-shirts were also great for a heavy sweater like me but the reviews say the shape in new stock is bad.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
After a few very indifferent weeks with a real mixed bag of runs; where I've hit good paces but just haven't felt right; I decided I needed a goal run. Today I got up early and went out for a half marathon. I have to say I feel all the better for it. I've done a few bodyweight workout sessions this week and I really think that helped me get into a good rhythm from the start this morning. It also helps when the sun is shining. In the end I came home at just over 1:32.

As [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] mentioned, the mental benefits are great. This is the best I've felt for a while. There's a real satisfaction to getting up early and going for a long run, even though I hate getting up early! The first really nice weather we've had has certainly put me in a better mood too.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I headed out yesterday evening around 7:30 with no direction nor distance in mind at all, although having run 10 miles on Saturday I had considered Sunday would just be a short run.

However, I soon clicked into an easy pace of c8'35" miles so stuck with it. Exactly two hours and 14 miles later I was back home. Really pleased with the consistency of my pace, with only 11 seconds between the slowest and fastest miles (8'29" - 8'40").

What I didn't realise, until I looked at Strava later in the evening, was that I ran 53.6 miles last week, making it my longest ever week, beating the 50.2 from a few weeks back.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

This is how I do it.

https://www.centurionultrarunningstore.com/products/naked-running-band

phone, soft flask for water on longer runs, front door key on clip, jelly beans

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I don't take anything with me when I run, but these were advertised at me on Instagram this week, and thought they looked a good option for those that do, and a decent enough price also >>> https://www.dualshorts.com

(Not sure if the bike short inner counts as webbing for you)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
[MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] takes pole position in the newly named NSC Mile Challenge.

Now a few others have said they were going to give it a go...........................

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
GNT 73.65% 6:33
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Question for all:

I always wear lycra tights (short ones mostly excpet in very coldest weather) to prevent thigh chafing (running shorts over the top) and decent quality, hard-wearing thin socks to prevent blisters (X-Socks are fantastic)

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

100% hear you. I get really caught up with this type of thing. Have cut back what I want to carry to my phone and a single key and yet there aren’t any shorts I’ve found that work in the right way.

When the whether’s changeable I can get by with running in a lightweight gilet that has appropriate pockets but anything warmer and I resort to a bum bag that flaps around all over the place and annoys me.

I’ve tried the armband but they always find a way to ride down the arm and require readjustment. And don’t get me started on running back packs.

I’m a poor runner as that type of thing screws with my headspace and distracts me way too much!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
100% hear you. I get really caught up with this type of thing. Have cut back what I want to carry to my phone and a single key and yet there aren’t any shorts I’ve found that work in the right way.

When the whether’s changeable I can get by with running in a lightweight gilet that has appropriate pockets but anything warmer and I resort to a bum bag that flaps around all over the place and annoys me.

I’ve tried the armband but they always find a way to ride down the arm and require readjustment. And don’t get me started on running back packs.

I’m a poor runner as that type of thing screws with my headspace and distracts me way too much!

Have you tried running without your phone? Or do you rely on that for GPS? I love running without, it’s possibly the only time I’m not connected and it’s a nice feeling to be uncontactable.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
[MENTION=11816]Artie Fufkin[/MENTION] takes pole position in the newly named NSC Mile Challenge.

Now a few others have said they were going to give it a go...........................

NAME NSC Mile AG NSC Mile Time
Artie Fufkin 80.57% 4:59
Knocky 77.74% 5:56
GNT 73.65% 6:33
Big Nuts 73.15% 5.22
Anchorman 69.36% 6:39

I see my name has now been dropped from the competition's title. I now know how Trotsky felt about that rotter Stalin; I've been snow-painted out of history. You'll be hearing from my learned friend! (Do you know how humiliating it is sitting beneath you, looking up your shorts?)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Question for all:

Over the years, I've accumulated quite a few tops, but I tend to stick to the same old ones. Nothing to do with performance, I just like them. One of them is a grey hooded top (which makes me look like a Knight, especially when paired with a hydration vest) because my head gets fecking cold and it saves having a soaking wet (through rain or sweat) hat.

Shorts-wise, I go for double-layered ones (webbing is a no-no) to combat chafing (always with a pocket, [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] – an essential item), first ones from Pearl Izumi, then I've got some Nike ones and some grey Ronhill ones that Mrs B says look like school PE shorts. I used to run with cycling shorts and then running shorts on top, but don't need to now with these ones.

I've used the same brand and type of socks (Therlos white and grey bad boys) since I started running nearly 20 years ago – the first pairs even lasted about 12 years! I've tried different ones, but they haven't been quite right and resulted in blisters or were just uncomfortable.

But, like most things, bits of clothing can be down to personal preference and what works for some won't for others.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

If you really need to take a phone (I'm with [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] - would rather not be contactable), I'd get a tri-belt instead for it. Much more comfortable to have it snug in the small of your back than a pocket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here