Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’d lost my running mojo a bit over the last couple of weeks or so, but decided to head out today following the “run slow to run fast” mantra.

I ran my 10-mile (non-seafront) loop without looking at my watch at all. Just keeping it very, very easy indeed.

I averaged 8’57”/mile with pretty consistent splits, and I thoroughly enjoyed just plodding along in the sun. Even with my weary legs it felt like I could have just kept on trundling along forever at that speed.

I’m definitely going to run a lot more at this relaxed pace. I think I’ve been trying too hard too often, encouraged by my improving performance and wanting to try and force better times.

Trying hard on fresh legs should yield better results than trying hard on legs that are already tired.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Excellent effort.4:59 and 80.57% is my decision.

That is the time from standing start to completion of a mile.

Can't wait to have another go in a few weeks wearing my Vaporfly. From what I've read about them they may find the mere 58 seconds to beat your time.:lol:

Thanks for the VAR check Gaffer! :thumbsup: Great to have a bit of fun with the challenge.

Yeah I think you'll be set up nicely flying in your Vaporfly's.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I’d lost my running mojo a bit over the last couple of weeks or so, but decided to head out today following the “run slow to run fast” mantra.

I ran my 10-mile (non-seafront) loop without looking at my watch at all. Just keeping it very, very easy indeed.

I averaged 8’57”/mile with pretty consistent splits, and I thoroughly enjoyed just plodding along in the sun. Even with my weary legs it felt like I could have just kept on trundling along forever at that speed.

I’m definitely going to run a lot more at this relaxed pace. I think I’ve been trying too hard too often, encouraged by my improving performance and wanting to try and force better times.

Trying hard on fresh legs should yield better results than trying hard on legs that are already tired.

Very much this >>> :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Ran by the testing at The Amex this afternoon and then up Wild Park to go through Hollingbury Fort. I've done a lot of hills quite easily lately and was pissed off when I had to stop twice in the final 40 metres of the climb. It was tough. Beautiful milky dew pond on the top with great views over Brighton where I could have a minute's respite.

Anyway looking on Strava it gives that section as up to 32% gradient. Bearing in mind Truleigh Hill is under 10% I don't feel so bad with the 10 steps of walking and the lame attempt at jogging..

So strong on the big vert Gaffer! It must be the years of cross country strength? "Hills Pay The Bills" :smile:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I had a go at the 1 Mile Challenge this morning. Great fun giving it some full beans, started off too fast and fell away a bit and the lactate build up towards the end was immense.

It's tricky to find a flat 1 mile stretch where I live as it's pretty undulating (I'm either going up or down) but the stretch of country lane I went for wasn't too bad.

Here's the stats: Distance: 1:01 mile / Moving Time: 5:02 / Pace: 4:58 / Elevation Gain: 23 ft / Shoes: Nike 4%'s (Strava link below).

Rounded up I think that might give me a time of 5:00 or 5:01? I'll defer to the Gaffer / GNT / Big Nuts Adjudication Panel to verify the time & AG result. :smile:

https://www.strava.com/activities/3383841328

Really happy with that considering I haven't done any speed work for the last 6 or so weeks. It'd bit fun to try it out on a track one day.

Impressive to go sub 5 minutes, especially as you’ve run so many miles of late. I suspect there is more to come. Anyway I’ve worked out I only need to speed up by 1.5 seconds every 100 metres to beat you which sounds a lot easier than 24 seconds for the mile.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Impressive to go sub 5 minutes, especially as you’ve run so many miles of late. I suspect there is more to come. Anyway I’ve worked out I only need to speed up by 1.5 seconds every 100 metres to beat you which sounds a lot easier than 24 seconds for the mile.

Thanks mate. I think you're on target to get very close. I'll be keen to see how you get on with your next run out. Go get it! :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ran by the testing at The Amex this afternoon and then up Wild Park to go through Hollingbury Fort. I've done a lot of hills quite easily lately and was pissed off when I had to stop twice in the final 40 metres of the climb. It was tough. Beautiful milky dew pond on the top with great views over Brighton where I could have a minute's respite.

Anyway looking on Strava it gives that section as up to 32% gradient. Bearing in mind Truleigh Hill is under 10% I don't feel so bad with the 10 steps of walking and the lame attempt at jogging..

I got a strava segment PB this morning on that ******* hill from Housedean Farm layby on the A27 towards the Beacon [emoji16][emoji106] Small victories

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I got a strava segment PB this morning on that ******* hill from Housedean Farm layby on the A27 towards the Beacon [emoji16][emoji106] Small victories

But you’re not normal! Is that the tarmac one up to Firle?

Had an enjoyable scenic 14m run yesterday but it was one of those days where it's a struggle from the start. Decided to just drop the pace and go with the flow. Thinking back I need a slap on the wrist as I hadn’t done a recovery run or stretching from the mile effort and body was probably unprepared. Still no gain without occasional pain.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Cripes: 32%! The Bostal at Steyning is net 17% with some bits I think around 27% and that's hard enough.

Well done to Artie on crossing that 80% benchmark and setting up a head-to-head with you for the gold. Virtual tickets are selling fast. I think a barefoot final is the only fair way forward.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Sitting in kit waiting to go out in 15 minutes to see what a month of overeating, overdrinking, coughing, antibiotics and bed rest have done to my pace.

Last weekend run I did, back in March, I felt I probably could have run most of the South Downs Way and I had so much adrenaline I didn't even notice I was pouring blood from a bramble scratch. Today, I suspect that just getting the 4 mile distance in without coughing or upsetting a walker will be a major achievement. The snood is on just in case.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cripes: 32%! The Bostal at Steyning is net 17% with some bits I think around 27% and that's hard enough.
Well done to Artie on crossing that 80% benchmark and setting up a head-to-head with you for the gold. Virtual tickets are selling fast. I think a barefoot final is the only fair way forward.

Artie has more in him and a Happy Birthday imminent, so we’ll let the maestro be. Next month my Vaporfly will be looking for 6 seconds to get near the Gasson and an impossible 11 seconds to edge 80%.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But you’re not normal! Is that the tarmac one up to Firle?

Had an enjoyable scenic 14m run yesterday but it was one of those days where it's a struggle from the start. Decided to just drop the pace and go with the flow. Thinking back I need a slap on the wrist as I hadn’t done a recovery run or stretching from the mile effort and body was probably unprepared. Still no gain without occasional pain.

No not Firle......Housedean Farm is a couple of miles East of the Amex towards Lewes - it’s the SDW - the hill is on the North side of the A27, from the layby. It’s not long, but steep.....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
No not Firle......Housedean Farm is a couple of miles East of the Amex towards Lewes - it’s the SDW - the hill is on the North side of the A27, from the layby. It’s not long, but steep.....

Got it. Walked it and run down it in The Moyleman. Has a nice 22.9% kick on your Strava.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I really need to get better at doing my stretching and yoga daily, I always feel like a rattly collection of unconnected bones when I start running, not helped by pretty much always starting uphill.

Managed 15 miles today though, but I do not feel like I have marathon pace in me at the moment. Need to start planning for September...

As an aside I'm not sure whether the mental benefits of running have been mentioned much during these weird times we're living in - certainly Mrs Orange has noted that the days she's managed to get out for a run before settling in the study to work she's been much more positive in her outlook.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
As an aside I'm not sure whether the mental benefits of running have been mentioned much during these weird times we're living in - certainly Mrs Orange has noted that the days she's managed to get out for a run before settling in the study to work she's been much more positive in her outlook.

I can very much attest to that. I’ve been averaging a run every other day during lockdown so far, my usual route is 5km, and despite just plodding rather than building pace or endurance I feel so much better for it.

Today I’m umming and erring about going because I feel really sore and stiff but the black dog on my shoulder needs vanquishing.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

This is my bible.
Matt Fitzgerald: 80/20 Running.

https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/p...zp8FwUEeV04zUzK4hhtmNRJXhOD9jdEwaAlc3EALw_wcB

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Question for all:

Footwear aside, although go there if you have any game changing tips, does clothing/apparel make a significant difference to your runs?

I’m not talking pace per se but comfort, ease and helping you to just run.

I’ve got about five pairs of running shorts, all slightly different - webbing/no webbing, pockets/no pockets etc all bought with a key purpose in mind and yet I often fixate if the pair I want aren’t clean and it really puts me off! Anyone else?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here