Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Woah that is swift! :ohmy:

I would say that your advice on this thread has helped my running massively, ie being comfortable running slower whilst increasing volume. I have been able to increase my weekly mileage to circa 45 miles over the lockdown and this month am on course for by far and away my highest ever monthly mileage (hopefully over 180 miles). Usually I don't get anywhere near that as I do other sports too, but I certainly felt the benefits of the miles in the legs doing a faster session this morning.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I would say that your advice on this thread has helped my running massively, ie being comfortable running slower whilst increasing volume. I have been able to increase my weekly mileage to circa 45 miles over the lockdown and this month am on course for by far and away my highest ever monthly mileage (hopefully over 180 miles). Usually I don't get anywhere near that as I do other sports too, but I certainly felt the benefits of the miles in the legs doing a faster session this morning.

That's some great volume and congrats on reaching a new peak in monthly mileage!

Hitting low 5 min mile splits is excellent!

Great to hear you're finding slowing down on your easy runs is benefiting. :thumbsup:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Sounds exactly like me. Since lockdown which has meant no playing football I’ve gone from roughly 25 miles per week to 45.

7 consecutive days running for the first time ever and still feel well rested. I am taking a rest day today but will run at least 6 days consecutive starting tomorrow.

171 miles for April already which surpasses the 155 a previous record from March.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Calling all milers!

Preston Park Magic Mile is a group who have an open mile at PP every year. Obviously off this year. Check out their Facebook page as they invite anyone to have run a mile recently or run one before midnight tomorrow to send it in (just typing no Strava checks) and you’ll be in the 2020 lockdown one off league. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] knows the guys I think.

I hope to go for it tomorrow. Be a lot of good runners on that list. Let’s see what we can do.

EDIT It’s a monthly table.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Seth makes some really good content and is a rapid runner. His background is mostly mountain trail running, competing at a pretty high national level (represented Team US in a world mountain trail championship race last year in Argentina I think) and turned to the roads and marathon running last year. He is very quick.

He's been publishing a YouTube vlog every day for a few years now and mixes it up between shoe reviews, some very good training advice and some funny general family life in the Denver area. Definitely recommend checking out some of his vlogs.

I watch him a lot - a favourite with Kofuzi and the Ginger Runner - I was only mentioning his background for those that don’t follow him.

Bringing two things together, Seth also advocates your “run slow to run fast” mantra...

https://youtu.be/h56GYRYLP-g

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I watch him a lot - a favourite with Kofuzi and the Ginger Runner - I was only mentioning his background for those that don’t follow him.

Bringing two things together, Seth also advocates your “run slow to run fast” mantra...

https://youtu.be/h56GYRYLP-g

That’s a good video. I’m definitely learning to run slow and enjoying the easy days and seeing the results when I choose to run hard.

The weather looks good for a 1 mile effort tomorrow morning. I just need to be disciplined enough to get up in time.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Calling all milers!

Preston Park Magic Mile is a group who have an open mile at PP every year. Obviously off this year. Check out their Facebook page as they invite anyone to have run a mile recently or run one before midnight tomorrow to send it in (just typing no Strava checks) and you’ll be in the 2020 lockdown one off league. [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] knows the guys I think.

I hope to go for it tomorrow. Be a lot of good runners on that list. Let’s see what we can do.

EDIT It’s a monthly table.

Cripes! A rival brand.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Cripes! A rival brand.

Ageist f***s aren’t grading on age. (luckily as I saw Paul Gasson warming up for an effort). It will be an interesting league table.

I currently have mileanoia. Sitting here thinking of tired legs, aches and pains, what shoes to wear, where to go, how to warm up, will I go of too fast or too slow and will I trip over. Shaking from coffee or adrenaline.

Nice and windless.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Ageist f***s aren’t grading on age. (luckily as I saw Paul Gasson warming up for an effort). It will be an interesting league table.

I currently have mileanoia. Sitting here thinking of tired legs, aches and pains, what shoes to wear, where to go, how to warm up, will I go of too fast or too slow and will I trip over. Shaking from coffee or adrenaline.

Nice and windless.

TBH I don't think Gasson needs AG to get a decent placing. Last time I looked he had a 1500 time thatput him well up in the national rankings for his age group. (I think the mile might well be his perfect event!)

I don't want to heap pressure on you so I won't disclose my prediction of your time today. (I've written it down and will share it with you after you report later.) Best of luck!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looks like the anti biotics are finally kicking in for me. First good night's sleep in a week last night and an intermittent dry cough so far today rather than a constant hacking one. I also have bundles more energy. Assuming the improvement continues. the plan is to have the nice bottle of wine I had saved for my wedding anniversary today on Saturday night instead, when the anti-bs are done but to start stretching and some light cross training before then, a walk on Sunday and then chat to coach about a light running programme starting next week, all with a return to my current alcohol-free state. With any luck will be back up to 40 miles a week by the end of May or some time around then.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Meanwhile another thought has occurred as I've had a lot of time on my hands. In what state, and at what time, do we see mass participation races restarting?

London Marathon has already said they may be elite only this year and Barns Green is cancelled from around the same time. I can't see Brighton going ahead at all this year, nor any other "big" race. We might get some STE or Phoenix style smaller action later in the year but your average charity / fun run / fancy dress event with big crowds won't happen till Spring next year, IMO.

With a lot more people now out and about for exercise I assume that 2020 entries will roll over but there will be very high demand for any places that can't be taken up. Will there need to be a ballot for the spare places? Will time constraints or any remaining social distancing mean either time cut offs and sweepers or restricted / no crowds?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
TBH I don't think Gasson needs AG to get a decent placing. Last time I looked he had a 1500 time thatput him well up in the national rankings for his age group. (I think the mile might well be his perfect event!)

I don't want to heap pressure on you so I won't disclose my prediction of your time today. (I've written it down and will share it with you after you report later.) Best of luck!

Cheers. I ran 6:07 at the Arena Withdean summer mile last Summer but had almost no prep due to a few months with a twisted ankle. That would have to be my benchmark. I have more stamna than last June but not certain that will be any good.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2495918730

The race last summer (I came third from last) shows the difficulty in timing a mile for our table. Strava shows fastest mile at 5:59, pace at 6:00 for first mile 6:01pace for total 1.03mile distance. However it was officially timed using England Athletics rules to be 6:07. Accounted for by briefly leaving the inside line.

When I'm ready I'll saunter along to the Palace Pier. They've closed the lower road to cars up to the Marina and will be a perfect spot. Deep breaths calm,calm,calm............

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Meanwhile another thought has occurred as I've had a lot of time on my hands. In what state, and at what time, do we see mass participation races restarting?

London Marathon has already said they may be elite only this year and Barns Green is cancelled from around the same time. I can't see Brighton going ahead at all this year, nor any other "big" race. We might get some STE or Phoenix style smaller action later in the year but your average charity / fun run / fancy dress event with big crowds won't happen till Spring next year, IMO.

With a lot more people now out and about for exercise I assume that 2020 entries will roll over but there will be very high demand for any places that can't be taken up. Will there need to be a ballot for the spare places? Will time constraints or any remaining social distancing mean either time cut offs and sweepers or restricted / no crowds?

I'm £150 down in event fees for this Spring/Summer and certainly won't enter anything for next year until I see a few events actually take place in 2021.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Good question. A few weeks ago I thought we wouldn't see another Parkrun until 2021 and if anything I've got more pessimistic since then.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I said similar a few days back on here re: large events this year.

The question I'd ask back at you, is what you see changing between, say, October/November and next Spring that would make such events considered "safe". It's not really a question specific to running, more for any event where large numbers of people are grouped together. I guess what running events have going for them is that they are outdoors, although there are other considerations such as transit of competitors and spectators to events, kinda like we've said with football - the stadium bowl itself may not be too bad for virus spread, but getting 30,000+ people to a stadium at the same time very much is.

My thinking is that if there is not a vaccine available at massive scale by then, it will come down to the "how many people have had it?" question, and we'll clearly have some better idea by then, as well as the "how much immunity does having already had it give people?" follow-up.

The pragmatist in me says I can't currently see it likely events next Spring could realistically go ahead.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I said similar a few days back on here re: large events this year.

The question I'd ask back at you, is what you see changing between, say, October/November and next Spring that would make such events considered "safe". It's not really a question specific to running, more for any event where large numbers of people are grouped together. I guess what running events have going for them is that they are outdoors, although there are other considerations such as transit of competitors and spectators to events, kinda like we've said with football - the stadium bowl itself may not be too bad for virus spread, but getting 30,000+ people to a stadium at the same time very much is.

My thinking is that if there is not a vaccine available at massive scale by then, it will come down to the "how many people have had it?" question, and we'll clearly have some better idea by then, as well as the "how much immunity does having already had it give people?" follow-up.

The pragmatist in me says I can't currently see it likely events next Spring could realistically go ahead.

It's more what I see changing between NOW and this time next year or so.

Firstly there could either be a vaccine (limited I would think) or more reliable antibody test. Neither is guaranteed, both are being worked on.

Secondly there could be a genuine slow down of numbers without an antibody test due to things like contact / tracing apps or just that many more people have had it then we thought. Or....

Thirdly a large amount of political pressure or (not a great thought, but certainly possible) civil unrest could lead to the government saying the equivalent of "you know what, **** it". If at any point it looks like we will enter a depression that is unrecoverable, if the country breaks into mass lockdown rule breaking during the summer or if it becomes clear to Boris that Brexit will not be possible the way he wants it, then I can see ownership of pretty much anything involving a large event being turned over to the organisers to decide.

But the Spring 2021 events may go ahead on a limited basis, which was kind of my point. If crowds were discouraged and fields limited to those either members of athletics clubs or with a reasonable expectation of finishing within, say, four and a half hours would that be a good or bad thing for running?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's more what I see changing between NOW and this time next year or so.

Well, yes, but you said events probably wouldn't happen this year, but may in Spring 2021, so the key bit is what changes between those two times.

Firstly there could either be a vaccine (limited I would think) or more reliable antibody test. Neither is guaranteed, both are being worked on.

Secondly there could be a genuine slow down of numbers without an antibody test due to things like contact / tracing apps or just that many more people have had it then we thought. Or....

Thirdly a large amount of political pressure or (not a great thought, but certainly possible) civil unrest could lead to the government saying the equivalent of "you know what, **** it". If at any point it looks like we will enter a depression that is unrecoverable, if the country breaks into mass lockdown rule breaking during the summer or if it becomes clear to Boris that Brexit will not be possible the way he wants it, then I can see ownership of pretty much anything involving a large event being turned over to the organisers to decide.

But the Spring 2021 events may go ahead on a limited basis, which was kind of my point. If crowds were discouraged and fields limited to those either members of athletics clubs or with a reasonable expectation of finishing within, say, four and a half hours would that be a good or bad thing for running?

Boston-lite, if you will?

Not sure how that works. A number of people run a marathon once and once only, or certainly intend that to be the case when they enter their first. Regardless some will be pretty speedy and barely sweat whilst boshing out three hours, whilst others will struggle round in six hours, but achieve a life dream and raise some money for a charity close to their hearts.

I'm not sure event organisers will want to taken on the burden of Strava assessments to see who makes the cut and who doesn't, and that's ignoring the fact that running a marathon has little to do with time for many.

Another possible factor is that we have a full-on regular flu season to come between now and next Spring. With Covid-19 still with us in all likelihood, that could re-shape thinking, once again, making it difficult for any events to fully commit to being able to operate.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Well, yes, but you said events probably wouldn't happen this year, but may in Spring 2021, so the key bit is what changes between those two times.

Boston-lite, if you will?

Not sure how that works. A number of people run a marathon once and once only, or certainly intend that to be the case when they enter their first. Regardless some will be pretty speedy and barely sweat whilst boshing out three hours, whilst others will struggle round in six hours, but achieve a life dream and raise some money for a charity close to their hearts.

I'm not sure event organisers will want to taken on the burden of Strava assessments to see who makes the cut and who doesn't, and that's ignoring the fact that running a marathon has little to do with time for many.

Another possible factor is that we have a full-on regular flu season to come between now and next Spring. With Covid-19 still with us in all likelihood, that could re-shape thinking, once again, making it difficult for any events to fully commit to being able to operate.

Not Boston lite.

There are events currently that employ a cut off time with sweepers removing those too slow from the course. I've read a few articles over the last few days about "limited social distancing". A Professor suggesting that pubs could open with every other seat occupied and a two to three pint limit (this link is one I googled just now but not the one I read before). In that "limited" state, the only way you'd put Brighton on is to remove the grandstand, get rid of the charity first timers and music stands and have it all done within a strict time window.

I'm not sure that's what Brighton is about personally. I'd rather it skipped two years and 2021 saw a larger number of small trail events.

EDIT - What I am also saying is that the rearranged 2020 in September will not be on. I'm not even going to bother upping my training beyond 10 or so miles.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I’ve had three cancellations already this year, two half’s and Berlin marathon which was in September as all events over 5000 are automatically banned until October. Given this, and the winter here, nothing will now happen until Spring irrespective of Covid-19. I imagine spring is the earliest for you as well. Berlin marathon is frustrating as I had to defer the two previous years due to injuries. That said I took a tumble on a trail a few weeks back and bashed my chest, my ribs still hurt so maybe the half cancellations are a good thing.

As someone else said, it’s now nice running for fun without any plan or goal in mind...but this will soon wear off and I’ll need something to focus on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I’ve had three cancellations already this year, two half’s and Berlin marathon which was in September as all events over 5000 are automatically banned until October. Given this, and the winter here, nothing will now happen until Spring irrespective of Covid-19. I imagine spring is the earliest for you as well. Berlin marathon is frustrating as I had to defer the two previous years due to injuries. That said I took a tumble on a trail a few weeks back and bashed my chest, my ribs still hurt so maybe the half cancellations are a good thing.

As someone else said, it’s now nice running for fun without any plan or goal in mind...but this will soon wear off and I’ll need something to focus on.

The NSC GNT AG Mile Challenge when you're ready.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here