Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cheers Guys. Will see if I can book a physio before flying out Friday

One other thing to bear in mind - if you half mara is only two weeks away, no training/running you do between now and then will make you run any better and resting may well clear up the issue, so although I know it's psychologically difficult, if you don't run between now and then it won't affect your performance at all. Depending on any physio advice, I'd rest up, and maybe just do a couple of miles a day or two before to loosen up and check it out. Good luck.....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One other thing to bear in mind - if you half mara is only two weeks away, no training/running you do between now and then will make you run any better and resting may well clear up the issue, so although I know it's psychologically difficult, if you don't run between now and then it won't affect your performance at all. Depending on any physio advice, I'd rest up, and maybe just do a couple of miles a day or two before to loosen up and check it out. Good luck.....

Very good point. You only have to look at the business end of a marathon training plan. This last two/three weeks are called the taper and you are now winding things down and just keeping your body ticking over.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thanks so much Dazzer and HT. Subject to Icelandic volcanoes and Californian earthquakes I will do my best to make it!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks so much Dazzer and HT. Subject to Icelandic volcanoes and Californian earthquakes I will do my best to make it!

And do the achilles tendon calf stretch that you have found on your internet search. Slowly to begin with but with stomach in, shoulders back, one foot on the stair feel that calf stretch and increase the pressue by moving your head backwards and up.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
I had an achilles problem caused by a tight calf muscle. Now under control and practically cured. If the pain is worse when you get out of bed in the morning then stretch your calf by pulling your toes up towards you before getting out of bed. A foam roller is superb but only if used correctly. But for now rest and ice is best treatment. And keep stretching gently when if feels better.
(Qualified LiRF and studying
CiRF)

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath

It's been estimated you lose around 20% of your fitness in the 2 weeks without exercise. Then it decreases at a much slower rate, but doesn't take long to get back.

I myself have found this doesn't apply to everyone though... But if your injured you don't have much choice eh?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's been estimated you lose around 20% of your fitness in the 2 weeks without exercise. Then it decreases at a much slower rate, but doesn't take long to get back.

I myself have found this doesn't apply to everyone though... But if your injured you don't have much choice eh?

Where have you seen that ? Contrary to everything I have read or experienced.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Where have you seen that ? Contrary to everything I have read or experienced.

Me too. Tapering off 2 weeks before a long distance race is standard, with very little done in the 6-7 days before.

In fact, I've experienced the complex opposite of loss of fitness after an enforced week or 2 off.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Me too. Tapering off 2 weeks before a long distance race is standard, with very little done in the 6-7 days before.

In fact, I've experienced the complex opposite of loss of fitness after an enforced week or 2 off.

Exactly my experience.....did my marathon PB after tearing a calf muscle 6 weeks before the race......

Quick question - I assume it's not a good idea to run 6-7 miles with a sneezy cold? Wait til it clears up or am I being a wuss?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quick question - I assume it's not a good idea to run 6-7 miles with a sneezy cold? Wait til it clears up or am I being a wuss?

Sneezy colds shouldn't stop you. I actually find running helps if I'm feeling a bit head/chest coldly, headachy and/or bunged up. If I feel achy or feverish I don't go out though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sneezy colds shouldn't stop you. I actually find running helps if I'm feeling a bit head/chest coldly, headachy and/or bunged up. If I feel achy or feverish I don't go out though.

Definitely this. There is a 'neck rule' really. If it goes below the neck (ie becomes bronchial, chesty etc) then don't, but a 'common cold' is fine. I always find a decent hours run usually stops a cold in it's tracks. Just take it a bit easier than you otherwise might.

Dammit, that excuse has gone! thanks HT and Dazzer, will head out tomorow

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
So I'm tapering this week as I'm running a 10k on Sunday at Hatchlands. Ran 8.8 miles on Friday, did an easy 23 minutes today, and will do the same on Thursday which should give me a nice rest.

I've not run a 10k before, any tips on how I should approach the actual race?

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
So I'm tapering this week as I'm running a 10k on Sunday at Hatchlands. Ran 8.8 miles on Friday, did an easy 23 minutes today, and will do the same on Thursday which should give me a nice rest.

I've not run a 10k before, any tips on how I should approach the actual race?

From your target time, work out your target pace, aim to stick to that pace throughout

Don't go out too fast

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
From your target time, work out your target pace, aim to stick to that pace throughout

Don't go out too fast

One of my frequent training runs is just over 10.5k and I average 48 minutes for that - so I'm aiming for about 45 minutes. I'd be seriously impressed if I got closer to 40 minutes as my pb at 5k is only 20:20!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
just over 7 minute miling then

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
That sounds about right, the course is two laps so I was planning on keeping an even pace for the first lap so I can get a feel for the course, and then hopefully kick on in the second lap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here