Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, I'll be there. Up on the hill just after the descent from Chanctonbury Ring and then again later on as the Marathon runners make the turn off the hill towards the end. Alays the coldest, wettest of shoots and I've a few clicks yomp with all my gear just to get in position. Love it! Best of luck to anybody running this beast of an event.
I'll look out for you (if I make it that far[emoji23][emoji23])....think I know the hill you mean (just after passing through Washington?)

Not looking forward to it. It's a bit of a slog in decent conditions....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The thought of Dazzer doing the Stinger has made 10ks appealing. I have duly entered Worthing10k and the NSC tradition Phoenix10k.

Hopefully [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] will still be running Worthing and we can all wish each other well. Maybe @GNT will turn up for his home race?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The thought of Dazzer doing the Stinger has made 10ks appealing. I have duly entered Worthing10k and the NSC tradition Phoenix10k.

Hopefully [MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION] will still be running Worthing and we can all wish each other well. Maybe @GNT will turn up for his home race?

Did it last year, so certainly wouldn't rule it out again this year. I'll check out the knees nearer the date! (Bugger: we'll be in the same age cat for for this one!)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
And the rain is back again. I ran from my front door to Guildford Station along the Basingstoke Canal and the River Wey on Monday. Over 18 miles and a good third of it was just a bog.

I did a 20-miler along the Wey towpath there and back to Byfleet Boat Club a few weeks ago and it was somewhat boggy then, and I can't imagine it having improved in the meantime! I didn't realise how close I got to the turn for the Basingstoke Canal until checking on the map just now.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'll look out for you (if I make it that far[emoji23][emoji23])....think I know the hill you mean (just after passing through Washington?)

Not looking forward to it. It's a bit of a slog in decent conditions....

If it's not completely tipping it down I'll wear my bobble hat styled on the "pink" NOBO away strip. You can't miss it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A bit of a session for me this lunch time - 20 minute warm up, 3 x 2 miles (5 minute recovery jog in between), 20 minute warm down. I ran 12:53, 13:00, 12:23 for the three sets of 2 miles - guess which was the only rep with the wind at my back! It was a good, hard session but I'm feeling it now. I did skip monday in the end, so every session is a day delayed so I'll have a nice 10 miler tomorrow and then a parkrun downpace on saturday (Irchester Country parkrun looking like being the one, either there or Kettering). I have thought about the Windsor Half Marathon on sunday, I do feel like I'm missing a race (having done neither Worthing or Brighton Halfs), but I think it would be unreasonably anti-social to leave my friends for so long. We'll see!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
I have thought about the Windsor Half Marathon on sunday, I do feel like I'm missing a race (having done neither Worthing or Brighton Halfs), but I think it would be unreasonably anti-social to leave my friends for so long. We'll see!

If you go to the Windsor Half Marathon on Sunday you'll be away for several months... the race is in September!!

:p

I ran it a couple of years ago, and it's a tough one... particularly resisting the urge to kick as soon as you get back onto the long walk :D

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't justify the Vaporflys...

- I don't race
- Limited lifespan due to being a race shoe
- Bloody expensive

...however I have had my eye on the Zoom Fly 3s - similar make-up to the Vaporfly, including the carbon plate, although they use React foam, not ZoomX. Anyway, I managed to pick up a pair yesterday in a Nike outlet, for just under £100.

I'm in Florida and have been running every day. On my first day I noticed a Strava segment (https://www.strava.com/segments/21905831) where I thought I'd have a good chance of getting into the top 10.

First try 17/2 wearing Nike Pegasus 36: 1m 7s, averaging 5:43"/mile
Second try 20/2 wearing Nike Pegasus 36: 1m 7s, averaging 5:43"mile
Third try today wearing new Zoom Fly 3: 59s, averaging 5:02"/mile

I thought I had it in the bag as I glanced down midway through, hoping to see something like 5:30"/mile pace and actually saw 4:50! I've never felt so fast - it felt like I was barely touching the ground.

It's not a conclusive test, obviously, but I'd suggest they may be a good shoe to consider for those who can't justify Vaporfly prices.

As a quick follow-up, I tried them on my local speed-test segment today. It's a downhill sprint of about 0.3 of a mile.

My record was 2:04, and my last attempt a couple of weeks ago I did it in 2:06. Today I managed 1:52.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If you go to the Windsor Half Marathon on Sunday you'll be away for several months... the race is in September!!

:p

I ran it a couple of years ago, and it's a tough one... particularly resisting the urge to kick as soon as you get back onto the long walk :D

:lolol: Planning! I meant to say Warwick, which is DEFINITELY this weekend. I have the fitness, but I think I need to calm my tits a little bit and focus on the long term and not the short term. The Lydd 20 miler is the next big event I'm looking forward to, and I probably will be doing the Hastings Half Marathon, although that won't be a PB attempt considering the course and the proximity to Brighton Marathon.

The Norwich cycle is a bit up in the air at the moment, I might delay that until later in the summer. As much as I want to spend a weekend in Norwich and sample their parkrun and watch the Albion pick up an astonishingly rare away victory - I should be a bit smarter about not ruining myself a week before the target marathon. Having been mugged off by Leicester, I'm very keen that the 9 months of training will have been worthwhile!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I‘ve followed suit and signed up for Phoenix & Worthing.

£24 for Worthing and that’s early bird prices! **** knows what they will be after this weekend.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I‘ve followed suit and signed up for Phoenix & Worthing.

£24 for Worthing and that’s early bird prices! **** knows what they will be after this weekend.

It is steep for a dull 10k but Arena have made it one of their Super Series Races for 2020 so I bit the bullet. £22.

The Phoenix is a rare bargain at £15 only to be beaten by the Weakest Link at £2.50pp.

See you at Hove Park Saturday. I had an unplanned afternoon kip today instead of a 10 miler, so will have a bit more in my legs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Feeling pretty much back to normal after a horrible week of stiff legs, snotty nose and too much work. Got out before the rain started this morning and dropped back in to the groove - unlike the horrendous effort I attempted on Wednesday.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I'm still thinking about it. I don't think I'll be in peak condition for it. I land on the Friday morning, then my friend's stag do is on Friday afternoon/evening. Getting up early on the Sunday with the jet lag and tail end of a hangover could be challenging!

I actually have two other 10k races in the pipeline. I'm doing another roadtrip race in Cleveland in the middle of May, then I've got the waterfront 10k here in Toronto 2 weeks after Worthing. I should target one of them for a PB.

Meanwhile, I've just got back from a week in The Azores. I don't think I could have asked for better running conditions. I did all my runs in the morning and it was always around 13-15 degrees with the sun shining and a light breeze off the sea. It makes running in February a lot more enjoyable. It's a beautiful place to spend a few days and I think they have a big running community. There's a half marathon with a lot of climbing which goes around a volcano crater. They also host some big ultra races. I just stuck to the coastal trails though :lolol:

I arrived back last night. Got up this morning and it was -6C (feels like -13C with windchill). So, 13k on the treadmill it was. I'm going to have to brave it for my long run tomorrow though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm still thinking about it. I don't think I'll be in peak condition for it. I land on the Friday morning, then my friend's stag do is on Friday afternoon/evening. Getting up early on the Sunday with the jet lag and tail end of a hangover could be challenging!

I actually have two other 10k races in the pipeline. I'm doing another roadtrip race in Cleveland in the middle of May, then I've got the waterfront 10k here in Toronto 2 weeks after Worthing. I should target one of them for a PB.

Meanwhile, I've just got back from a week in The Azores. I don't think I could have asked for better running conditions. I did all my runs in the morning and it was always around 13-15 degrees with the sun shining and a light breeze off the sea. It makes running in February a lot more enjoyable. It's a beautiful place to spend a few days and I think they have a big running community. There's a half marathon with a lot of climbing which goes around a volcano crater. They also host some big ultra races. I just stuck to the coastal trails though :lolol:

I arrived back last night. Got up this morning and it was -6C (feels like -13C with windchill). So, 13k on the treadmill it was. I'm going to have to brave it for my long run tomorrow though.

Could do with running in the Azores now I'm starting to miss runs because of the weather here. Just fed up with it.
Spent 3 days on Faial when doing a trans Atlantic yacht delivery a few years back. Walked the whole Island it was stunning and the weather perfect. I'll try and imagine that when running here this weekend.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Meanwhile, I've just got back from a week in The Azores. I don't think I could have asked for better running conditions. I did all my runs in the morning and it was always around 13-15 degrees with the sun shining and a light breeze off the sea.

Sounds infinitely better than running tempo around Stoke Park in the pissing rain!!

:thumbsup:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Hove Prom, East Brighton & Lancing all off.

I was going to run Hove Park but can’t be arsed in this weather. A slower run around 10am instead.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hove Prom, East Brighton & Lancing all off.

I was going to run Hove Park but can’t be arsed in this weather. A slower run around 10am instead.

Lightweight, fairweather runner! A DNS, I'm taking that as my first parkrun victory over you.

First go at a 5K this year and well off the pace at 22:10ish. bad day at the office. Found it really hard to get going but had a fair run in. Hope Brighton perform better than that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Five ridiculously slippy miles in the pissing rain with the dog this morning. I managed to stay on my feet, although it was very close at times.

That’s my February done - 141.7 miles and 6,507 feet. I’ve also run for the past 30 days, quite a feat given my weetabix legs.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Lightweight, fairweather runner! A DNS, I'm taking that as my first parkrun victory over you.

First go at a 5K this year and well off the pace at 22:10ish. bad day at the office. Found it really hard to get going but had a fair run in. Hope Brighton perform better than that.

Respectable!

Worthing in not-too-atrocious conditions: 22.50, a fraction slower than last week, so no need to trouble the scorer. Felt strong, but the problem is that when you hit the accelerator in the last 100m there's no response.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here