Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I wonder if the foam cushioning of the Zoom Fly 3 would add protection to the achilles?

Looking at Arena80's Half Marathon results from Sunday I noticed a few fast times from people in my time bracket and thought they'd run well. Yesterdays photos showed Vaporfly on each and everyone of the outperformers.

My Next0% are still in the box unworn. Today's sunshine and dry ground was going to be their maiden trip but I will stick to my rule of not running 3 consecutive days especially with an interval session.

I don't know - are Achilles issues caused by impact, specifically? I'd assumed, in my case at least, it was over-use (again).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Not a good day! Went for a run and gashed my thigh on a protruding metal rod sticking out of a fence. 6 hrs in A&E, 4 big stitches and a lot of pain! Skiing holiday not looking promising but hopefully can still make it back for the marathon.

Bugger! I would say the best thing would be resting, not hurtling down a mountain...

Apparently some bloke on here cut his knee on the day of the marathon and still carried on and ran it, so I reckon you'll be fine :wink:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hi all,

I just wanted to drop a quick post and say many thanks for those that came out and braved the weather yesterday. As you can well imagine the continued wind was causing us some real logistical issues in the build up to the race both in terms in construction and that we would be down on both runners and volunteers on the days, thankfully this was not the case and everyone was amazing!

I hope Bozza doesn't mind but for those who are looking to develop a challenge with 2021 in mind we have 12 London Marathon places at the Beacon available, it will be a £1750 sponsorship so fairly achievable for a charity place and you will receive a free Brighton Half Marathon space on Team Beacon, if you want to run for us then please drop us an email on fundraising@sussexbeacon.org.uk

For those doing the Brighton Half Marathon next year it is worth looking at joining us at Team Beacon if for no other reason that you get a nice warm marquee with food and drink and private toilets! :)

But as I say I really wanted to say thanks to everyone who came out and ran it, good work!

Welcome! As someone who ran the half when it was called the Sussex Beacon Half Marathon, I'd be interested to know how much recognition you guys get since the 'rebranding'? I've not run it for a while now – and not really noticed – but it would be a shame if the charity didn't have any presence during the build-up or on the day.

As for running VLM, I think that ship has sailed for me after completing three of them. But I'm sure you won't be short of offers... :thumbsup:

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
I don't know - are Achilles issues caused by impact, specifically? I'd assumed, in my case at least, it was over-use (again).

New shoes in particular can rub on the achilles or any part of the foot causing pain and discomfort but I think generally there's 3 main causes of running injuries:

Sudden Acute Trauma (which poor [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] has just experienced)

Biomechanical Imbalances

Overuse Injury or "The "Terrible Too's" - Too Much, Too Soon, Too Often, Too Hard, Too Little Rest

Simply put, not enough strength to support the activity an athlete engages in over a period of time.

Sorry for the running nerd speak Bozza.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I wonder if the foam cushioning of the Zoom Fly 3 would add protection to the achilles?

Looking at Arena80's Half Marathon results from Sunday I noticed a few fast times from people in my time bracket and thought they'd run well. Yesterdays photos showed Vaporfly on each and everyone of the outperformers.

My Next0% are still in the box unworn. Today's sunshine and dry ground was going to be their maiden trip but I will stick to my rule of not running 3 consecutive days especially with an interval session.

Very much doubt it at all - I think anyone would find the carbon plate very harsh on the feet........

I’d aim for something with a decent heel drop (4-5mm perhaps) to reduce the stretch on the achilles each step and something well cushioned (personally love Hoka shoes, they’re like wearing slippers). Additionally, worth looking at gait - moving more to a midfoot strike (if in any way heelstriking) and increasing cadence will take a lot of the stress out of your legs. Worth reading ‘Chi Running’ by Danny Dreyer....some of it is a bit hippyish but the fundamentals are sound (CoG in front of, rather than through, the knees, leaning forward, high cadence, midfoot strike). Plenty online and on youtube if you want to have a look around too.

Your pace is pretty rapid by the way [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]. You should do some races !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Stretching: a load of bollocks (give or take) >>> https://www.outsideonline.com/24084...ntent=The+Great+Thing+About+Hard+Things#close

"If you’re a runner, on the other hand, you’re highly unlikely to sustain an injury that has any connection to your inability to touch your toes. In fact, there’s some evidence that greater flexibility makes you a less efficient runner, presumably because having tight “springs” in your legs allows you to store and return more energy with each stride."

"As for what to do before exercise, the state-of-the-art among pro athletes has shifted away from static stretching toward a three-stage dynamic warm-up:

- Start with an easy jog (or spin or swim or whatever) to raise your body temperature.
- Then progress to some dynamic stretching drills that move your muscle through (and a bit beyond) the full range of motion they’ll encounter during the workout. For runners, that might mean high knees, butt kicks, walking lunges, and side skips.
- Finish with some short bursts that approach the full intensity of the coming workout, like relaxed 15-second sprints."

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stretching: a load of bollocks (give or take) >>> https://www.outsideonline.com/24084...ntent=The+Great+Thing+About+Hard+Things#close

"If you’re a runner, on the other hand, you’re highly unlikely to sustain an injury that has any connection to your inability to touch your toes. In fact, there’s some evidence that greater flexibility makes you a less efficient runner, presumably because having tight “springs” in your legs allows you to store and return more energy with each stride."

"As for what to do before exercise, the state-of-the-art among pro athletes has shifted away from static stretching toward a three-stage dynamic warm-up:

- Start with an easy jog (or spin or swim or whatever) to raise your body temperature.
- Then progress to some dynamic stretching drills that move your muscle through (and a bit beyond) the full range of motion they’ll encounter during the workout. For runners, that might mean high knees, butt kicks, walking lunges, and side skips.
- Finish with some short bursts that approach the full intensity of the coming workout, like relaxed 15-second sprints."

Yep......unlikely to find a running coach that’ll have you stretching before a run nowadays, will be as you describe. Some stretching after might be beneficial (I do a few yoga moves).

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yep......unlikely to find a running coach that’ll have you stretching before a run nowadays, will be as you describe. Some stretching after might be beneficial (I do a few yoga moves).

Yep. Stretching before exercise went out with Barbara Windsor’s Carry On films in the ‘70’s.

I have 12 stretches I do after nearly every run. Plus the spiky ball, roller and stretch band.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Another shitty weekend of weather. I’ve got a rare Park Run pass, so with the 50mph south westerly it can only mean Hove Park. Anyone else going along?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Another shitty weekend of weather. I’ve got a rare Park Run pass, so with the 50mph south westerly it can only mean Hove Park. Anyone else going along?

Think yourself lucky it’s only 5k. Steyning Stinger marathon on Sunday - going to be the wettest/muddiest underfoot EVER and in my massively undertrained state I’ll be looking to finish before it gets dark I think. [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION] are you out and about with Ant and his crew ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Stretching after a run, particularly my hips, has prevented injury (touch wood) and made me faster. Stretching before? Never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I’ll pop along. Only done one at Bev since Xmas and that was part of a long run. Should be able to cut at least 5” off the SB and move off the bottom of the NSC table.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Think yourself lucky it’s only 5k. Steyning Stinger marathon on Sunday - going to be the wettest/muddiest underfoot EVER and in my massively undertrained state I’ll be looking to finish before it gets dark I think. [MENTION=13715]jimhigham[/MENTION] are you out and about with Ant and his crew ?

Yes, I'll be there. Up on the hill just after the descent from Chanctonbury Ring and then again later on as the Marathon runners make the turn off the hill towards the end. Alays the coldest, wettest of shoots and I've a few clicks yomp with all my gear just to get in position. Love it! Best of luck to anybody running this beast of an event.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
My respect to all those who ran Brighton half last week. Sounded like a day you dread come race day.

I’m away where up till yesterday the weather has been so hot and humid I’ve been struggling to run outside (sorry). But yesterday a storm came in and we had so much rain it flooded the basement gym. It’s still raining but looking forward to getting wet later.

I question whether I can ever call myself a proper runner. There is no way never I would consider taking part in the Steyning Stinger in those conditions. Good luck Dazzer, just taking that on is a victory.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
And the rain is back again. I ran from my front door to Guildford Station along the Basingstoke Canal and the River Wey on Monday. Over 18 miles and a good third of it was just a bog. Eight miles yesterday and despite the sun I was still caught in a couple of squalls. This morning, another eight miles and it's just piddling down out there. Normally I enjoy winter training but if this carries on much longer I'll be forming mould.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As for what to do before exercise, the state-of-the-art among pro athletes has shifted away from static stretching toward a three-stage dynamic warm-up:

."

The football warm up in other words...

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Total respect to anyone who even thinks about doing the Stinger, yet alone actually turns up and does it, undertrained and in these conditions. I recall seeing a female work colleague (who I didn't know was a runner) turn up to work the Monday after the Stinger looking like she done a round or two with Tyson Fury - she'd taken a bad fall. (Needless to say she completed the run.)
Best of luck. The race report will make interesting reading...……………….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here