Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Struggled in the windy conditions today, not helped by two pauses, one to retie a shoelace with frozen fingers, the other to run back to pick up my stash of gels which fell out when I was struggling to remove my jacket in the wind. Net effect was a slowish time (1:53, compared with 1:43 last year).

Overall I loved it though - if anything the harsh conditions enhanced the atmosphere and camaraderie, and great credit to the organisers for not bowing to temptation to cancel, and to the volunteers for their cheery assistance in the cold and wet.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Was certainly a game of two halves this morning. Ran with a running mate for the first half but he started to struggle so I pushed on after that. Finished in 1:50 even though my final 5k would be close to a SB - last two miles 7:14, 7:11.
Speaking of SB's Gaffer, is my table 'suspension' over yet and can my SB of 22:31 be reinstated? I can confirm it was achieved using only Brooks adrenalines! It will only be one more position for you to leap frog anyway now you've had the good news about your health scare!

Ha ha. Suspension over. I’ll look into it tomorrow.
Good efforts today as NSC runners took on the weather and won.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A highly unlikely PB for me today 86:02. Had geared myself up to being happy with sub 1:30 but everything fell into place.

I think the conditions in a bizarre way helped, as you had to stay sharp and race to conditions throughout. The mental challenge was exciting and the time and miles seemed to fly by.

I think the initial sub 1:30 is good mentality meant I just relaxed and I wasn’t bothered by mile splits. Probably a bit of race experience is now helping. Even when I ran a 7 minute+ mile I didn’t panic. A few years ago I’d have tried to hard to early to make the time up but this time I was content with using the hard miles into wind to recover and stay close and behind a pack. If they slowed down, I slowed down.

This meant I felt reasonably fresh for the 5k run for home where I made up plenty of time.

As mentioned earlier the marshalls were the true heroes today.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I have to say, I'm massively in two minds about my running today. On the one hand, I am disappointed not to have run the Half but I made a conscious choice to pick Worthing (I couldn't afford both) - obviously I was stitched up there a little bit. I've already had a few people message me asking why I wasn't involved today. I did quite comfortably sleep through it so I can always fall back on that excuse and know with certainty that everyone would believe it!

The conditions this evening are absolutely perfect, I drew a marvellous map of a 15 mile run in 2 hours dead without ever being more than 1.25 miles from my house. I planned a 2 hour run at 8:00 minutes per, I lapped my watch every 5 miles and ran 7:53, 7:47 and 8:12 per mile each 5 mile split. There was a minor wind heading west but it was perfect for a run, lovely and mild plus it was still lovely at 6pm with plenty of light. I enjoyed it although I do feel I missed an opportunity to prevent [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] extending his Half Marathon PB lead over me!

Run map.JPG

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I have to say, I'm massively in two minds about my running today. On the one hand, I am disappointed not to have run the Half but I made a conscious choice to pick Worthing (I couldn't afford both) - obviously I was stitched up there a little bit. I've already had a few people message me asking why I wasn't involved today. I did quite comfortably sleep through it so I can always fall back on that excuse and know with certainty that everyone would believe it!

The conditions this evening are absolutely perfect, I drew a marvellous map of a 15 mile run in 2 hours dead without ever being more than 1.25 miles from my house. I planned a 2 hour run at 8:00 minutes per, I lapped my watch every 5 miles and ran 7:53, 7:47 and 8:12 per mile each 5 mile split. There was a minor wind heading west but it was perfect for a run, lovely and mild plus it was still lovely at 6pm with plenty of light. I enjoyed it although I do feel I missed an opportunity to prevent [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] extending his Half Marathon PB lead over me!

View attachment 120426

It’s a matter of time before you take another one of me!

Used to love the Bright 10 but the only saving grace is it preserves another of my PB’s over you.

Let’s see what happens on our first and possibly only ever 20 mile showdown in 2 weeks. We might need a new column on the NSC leaderboard.

I’m definitely Park Running Saturday so you can beat me comprehensively again to boost morale.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Used to love the Bright 10 but the only saving grace is it preserves another of my PB’s over you.

Let’s see what happens on our first and possibly only ever 20 mile showdown in 2 weeks. We might need a new column on the NSC leaderboard.

I’m definitely Park Running Saturday so you can beat me comprehensively again to boost morale.

Was lamenting the demise of Bright10 on the start line today with a few who had run it. Still my favourite distance.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Was lamenting the demise of Bright10 on the start line today with a few who had run it. Still my favourite distance.

Perhaps we should start one up. A NSC 10 mile race. Start at the Goldstone, run to Withdean then onto Falmer. That must be at least 7 miles. We could do a couple of laps of the park and one of the Amex to get the distance spot on.

Pub straight after on a non-match day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Perhaps we should start one up. A NSC 10 mile race. Start at the Goldstone, run to Withdean then onto Falmer. That must be at least 7 miles. We could do a couple of laps of the park and one of the Amex to get the distance spot on.

Pub straight after on a non-match day.

Great idea as far as I am concerned! What do we say running thread?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Great idea as far as I am concerned! What do we say running thread?

I’m going to propose a date too. Sunday 31st May. Football season has well passed, Sunday’s are better than Saturdays with Park Run and I can’t see any other major races planned. Start time TBC

Purely a suggestion. If there is a better date, day of the week and start time then let me know.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
A highly unlikely PB for me today 86:02. Had geared myself up to being happy with sub 1:30 but everything fell into place.

I think the conditions in a bizarre way helped, as you had to stay sharp and race to conditions throughout. The mental challenge was exciting and the time and miles seemed to fly by.

Great run.

Yeah, the bit I bolded is how I felt about it. I was concentrating, breaking up the distance into segments to the Lagoon and picking the pace pack to drop into. Last year I got cocky. overcooked the start and ended up blowing up in the first warm run I'd had for four months.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I’m going to propose a date too. Sunday 31st May. Football season has well passed, Sunday’s are better than Saturdays with Park Run and I can’t see any other major races planned. Start time TBC

Purely a suggestion. If there is a better date, day of the week and start time then let me know.

Works for me.....

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I need to find a quick 10 mile race to run, when I make my selection I'll let you know! Lydd is exciting, I'm hoping to use that as a real pace session over a long distance.

I can't make that - I'm co-bestmanning in the New Forest on the friday, saturday will largely be a recovery/hair of the dog day and sunday is gradually driving home bleary eyed and heavy headed!

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Longest ever training run of just under 13.5 miles today which was pleasing as it was run in atrocious wind and rain. Ugly looking blister was created on the end of my second toe by the wet socks combined with new(ish) shoes but I might have just got away with it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Longest ever training run of just under 13.5 miles today which was pleasing as it was run in atrocious wind and rain. Ugly looking blister was created on the end of my second toe by the wet socks combined with new(ish) shoes but I might have just got away with it.

Good run. My running shoes are always half a size bigger than my other shoes and my socks cycle strictly between Thorlos Anti Blister and Hilly Twin Skin. Never had a blister and my shoes were soaked today.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
10 miles in May! You’re all bonkers. Arundel Tri., 3K races and mid summer Withdean magic mile time.

Got itchy feet watching today. 6 races from December to Bedgebury has left me raring to go after 3 weeks back to plodding out the miles. Got Bevendean Arena day on March 7th and Hastings Half is pulling me in.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

I think the initial sub 1:30 is good mentality meant I just relaxed and I wasn’t bothered by mile splits. Probably a bit of race experience is now helping. Even when I ran a 7 minute+ mile I didn’t panic. A few years ago I’d have tried to hard to early to make the time up but this time I was content with using the hard miles into wind to recover and stay close and behind a pack. If they slowed down, I slowed down.

This meant I felt reasonably fresh for the 5k run for home where I made up plenty of time.

As mentioned earlier the marshalls were the true heroes today.

Amazing performance in any conditions. Superlative today.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Amazing performances over the weekend in some pretty awful conditions – well done people. I went to bed Saturday night with all the intention of getting out yesterday morning, then it all went south and I couldn't be arsed. Was going to try again in the afternoon, but it never happened.

So today's couple of miles at 5:30am was a real breakthrough! While my head's not in a running place at the moment, I have to take what I can get. Contemplating Steyning Stinger half at the weekend, to see if that will give me the shove I need to get back into it...

Last edited:

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Yesterday was errrrmmm interesting and certainly challenging! I started the weekend with an easy paced parkrun at Highbury Fields (first time I have done one that's 5 1/2 laps!) before heading to Sheffield.

Race day and it was good to see [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] in the start pen. I was aiming for 1.45 but as other said really a day for running your own race as hard to judge the splits needed. At some point the gusts of wind almost blew you off your feet, I ended up kicking myself several times as the wind caught your feet! The stretch out to Hove Lagoon was the worst part and my miles 9-10 put paid to a PB, I couldn't catch up the time even with the helpful wind back along the seafront. Good to see [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and even managed to give him a high five :). I came in at 1.48.39, so 55 seconds slower than last year and my PB.

Between miles 9-10 a little group of us ended up running together in almost a huddle to give you a break from the wind, before you took your turn at the front of it, it was amazing how you can feel the difference out the wind, but overall it did slow down our speed but it was nice having a chat with fellow runners. We all agreed it was a tough one. It felt like the most supportive race from fellow runners for a while, especially for a big event. It was good to see nearly 8,000 braved the elements, I expected a much bigger drop out of runners this year.

Its amazing how running into a headwind saps your strength. I was really trying to push at the end but had nothing left, happy that I know I gave it my all and now I turn my attention back to training for the Manchester marathon.

Finally a big hats off to anyone that volunteered or who came out to support the event. I was amazed at the size of the crowds considering the weather.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Amazing performances over the weekend in some pretty awful conditions – well done people. I went to bed Saturday night with all the intention of getting out yesterday morning, then it all went south and I couldn't be arsed. Was going to try again in the afternoon, but it never happened.

So today's couple of miles at 5:30am was a real breakthrough! While my head's not in a running place at the moment, I have to take what I can get. Contemplating Steyning Stinger half at the weekend, to see if that will give me the shove I need to get back into it...

Good shout but entries closed. I've joined the waiting list. Will take a spare for the Stinger Half, if one going.

Putting your mojo to one side for a while won't do any harm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here