Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Forecast wasn't too bad yesterday, now it looks hideous! I am meeting some mates at the back on the blue pen or front of the yellow pen. I was going to target a PB of 1.45 as well but it doesn't look ideal TBH! Perhaps the diversion up two side roads on the long drag back from Brighton to Hove may be a blessing if its that windy! See you Sunday.

My sometime training partner Brian, who
I think you met at Brighton Marathon last year is driving us over and we’ll be starting right at the front of yellow as well. See you there [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Pacing is going to be a shit job on Sunday. An even pace will be all but impossible but anything else needs to be timed perfectly. Definitely a day to run your own race.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Pacing is going to be a shit job on Sunday. An even pace will be all but impossible but anything else needs to be timed perfectly. Definitely a day to run your own race.

Very, very tempted now to turn Sunday into a 20/21 mile long run incorporating the HM. 35 mph winds with 50 mph gusts.

Can’t believe the weather for both Worthing & Brighton has been so shit.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Worthing parkrun. A brutal westerly (I seem to write this every week!) so 22.48 was respectable and gave me an SB and a 73.54% AG. (If you'd be so kind gaffer?)
Good luck to anyone doing the Brighton HM (you'll need it). Total respect for anyone doing anything in this weather!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Worthing parkrun. A brutal westerly (I seem to write this every week!) so 22.48 was respectable and gave me an SB and a 73.54% AG. (If you'd be so kind gaffer?)
Good luck to anyone doing the Brighton HM (you'll need it). Total respect for anyone doing anything in this weather!

Good to see your time going in the right direction. Someone should organise a 5k west to east Parkrun for days like today. It would be great fun.

I went to Hove park this morning and watched [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] rather than chase. Have slight calf niggle that pings when setting off from standing but is OK once running. Decided not to risk it today or tomorrow (as near the long time recovery soleus area).
Have booked in with Tim, the Jesus stand-in, for Monday lunchtime.

Meanwhile I'll spend tomorrow in the pool working on a slightly deeper stroke to try and catch up with speedy fish [MENTION=67]Curious Orange[/MENTION] in a few months time.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Very, very tempted now to turn Sunday into a 20/21 mile long run incorporating the HM. 35 mph winds with 50 mph gusts.

Can’t believe the weather for both Worthing & Brighton has been so shit.

No concentrate on the race. Think of the 3 mile run in! Will be a good pacing in the wind exercise and may be of use on Brighton Marathon day (I bloody hope not).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I can't justify the Vaporflys...

- I don't race
- Limited lifespan due to being a race shoe
- Bloody expensive

...however I have had my eye on the Zoom Fly 3s - similar make-up to the Vaporfly, including the carbon plate, although they use React foam, not ZoomX. Anyway, I managed to pick up a pair yesterday in a Nike outlet, for just under £100.

I'm in Florida and have been running every day. On my first day I noticed a Strava segment (https://www.strava.com/segments/21905831) where I thought I'd have a good chance of getting into the top 10.

First try 17/2 wearing Nike Pegasus 36: 1m 7s, averaging 5:43"/mile
Second try 20/2 wearing Nike Pegasus 36: 1m 7s, averaging 5:43"mile
Third try today wearing new Zoom Fly 3: 59s, averaging 5:02"/mile

I thought I had it in the bag as I glanced down midway through, hoping to see something like 5:30"/mile pace and actually saw 4:50! I've never felt so fast - it felt like I was barely touching the ground.

It's not a conclusive test, obviously, but I'd suggest they may be a good shoe to consider for those who can't justify Vaporfly prices.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Good luck to everyone doing the Half tomorrow. Its my first one and i was hoping for a sub 2 hours but the weather might have put paid to that blowing us all over the place. WHAT HAVE WE DONE TO DESERVE THIS !!!

My training turned out to be 277K this year so far across 27 runs including 3 half marathons and they were close/under 2 even in stormy/gusty weather so i'm hoping i'll be ok for 1.55 or thereabouts.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Good luck to everyone tomorrow - I'll be keeping an eye on Strava and I'll be getting out in the evening again when hopefully it will be closer to reasonable out on the streets! February can't end quickly enough for my liking. :thumbsup:

I returned to Bevendean Down parkrun this morning and retained the crown for a second week, 4 times out of 5 I've returned home first there. I didn't have it all my own way this morning though, a friend of [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] led us to the bottom of the hill and then I moved away. He closed the gap on the downhill on the far side but I then put a gap between us on the run toward the hill for a second time. I opened up a lead there and then extended it into the horrific wind going down the hill (much easier going up than it was coming back down!). I ran 19:39 which is only 2 seconds off my PB there and I definitely think I can run sub-19 there with the right conditions.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good luck to everyone tomorrow - I'll be keeping an eye on Strava and I'll be getting out in the evening again when hopefully it will be closer to reasonable out on the streets! February can't end quickly enough for my liking. :thumbsup:

I returned to Bevendean Down parkrun this morning and retained the crown for a second week, 4 times out of 5 I've returned home first there. I didn't have it all my own way this morning though, a friend of [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] led us to the bottom of the hill and then I moved away. He closed the gap on the downhill on the far side but I then put a gap between us on the run toward the hill for a second time. I opened up a lead there and then extended it into the horrific wind going down the hill (much easier going up than it was coming back down!). I ran 19:39 which is only 2 seconds off my PB there and I definitely think I can run sub-19 there with the right conditions.
[MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION]: “Park Run is not a race”

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just walked the Beagle on the Prom. Good luck Halfers you’ll need it. Prom cleared with final clearance just gone through. Chill in the wind. Well done [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] for Hove Plinth water duties . Hope you finalised a plan on how to hold the paper cups. Tough run today. One to remember.
King Alfred pool looking empty due to road closures and heated. That’s where the wimp is heading after coffee.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Good luck to everyone running the Brighton Half this morning! Run like the wind! :smile: Looking forward to reading the race reports.

Should we also celebrate bringing up the 2000th page of the best thread on NSC? :ascarf:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well that was quite a race - actually quite euphoric on the final 4K stretch with the wind on your back and a raging sea in the background. The rain held off thankfully and there were only a few lengths where gusts really knocked you sideways.

It was my first half and I think I came home with a sub 1.54 which given the conditions - I’m very pleased with.

I’d barely got off the sofa 7/8 months ago but it’s remarkable how running gets you. The idea that I could run 13 miles seemed ridiculous this time last year. Thanks to the support, tips and advice on here - the good point from yesterday certainly out a spring in my step. Hope everyone did ok. Saw GuinnessBoy who said he’d scooped a PB - running like the wind on that final bit he said.

Next target / a run every day for Lent !
Is that a thing ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well that was quite a race - actually quite euphoric on the final 4K stretch with the wind on your back and a raging sea in the background. The rain held off thankfully and there were only a few lengths where gusts really knocked you sideways.

It was my first half and I think I came home with a sub 1.54 which given the conditions - I’m very pleased with.

I’d barely got off the sofa 7/8 months ago but it’s remarkable how running gets you. The idea that I could run 13 miles seemed ridiculous this time last year. Thanks to the support, tips and advice on here - the good point from yesterday certainly out a spring in my step. Hope everyone did ok. Saw GuinnessBoy who said he’d scooped a PB - running like the wind on that final bit he said.

Next target / a run every day for Lent !
Is that a thing ?

Great work! From a quick scan of your Strava runs and from what everyone on here says about race conditions helping to improve performance,I thought you'd end up nearer 1:50 than 2:00. With better conditions, I suspect you wouldn't have been too far away from 1:50.

Runstreaking is definitely a thing. I'm currently on Day 24, but have yet to go out today having just arrived home from the US. I quite like the challenge of squeezing a daily run in regardless. Most days it's easy enough to do, but others are more challenging. Last Saturday I did a couple of miles around a Heathrow industrial estate from the base of our hotel before we flew later in the morning.

If you're an Instagram user, you'll find people at all stages of Runstreak. I know a few runners who are well beyond 2,000 consecutive days now, which is astounding!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Yep, a PB for me in 1.45.30 so a table update needed from the gaffer, who I yelled at twice near Hove Lawns.

Annoyingly exactly thirty seconds of that was a stand still reattaching the safety pin to the bottom corner of the race number where it had blown off. Visions of my number blowing in to the sea ensured I stopped to make sure I repinned it strongly.

Race strategy paid off handsomely- running to effort and ignoring the watch pace and drafting behind pace packs wherever possible. For once the crowded nature of the course was an advantage.

The final 5k was awesome- pretty much did it at parkrun pace but I knew when I got to the Lagoon that I felt really strong. I may be fitter than I credit myself for.

A good NSC spotting day as started with Mr Blobby and saw Jem at the finish.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Well that was something this morning! Stood out in the wind for four hours on a water station - am now in bed trying to warm up!

Well done everyone who ran - only saw [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] who was heading for a ridiculously fast time and the back of @BEB who was also going well.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Well that was something this morning! Stood out in the wind for four hours on a water station - am now in bed trying to warm up!

Well done everyone who ran - only saw [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] who was heading for a ridiculously fast time and the back of @BEB who was also going well.

Absolutely massive respect to you and the other volunteers. The only thing worse than running into that wind would be standing still in it, getting covered in cold water.

Anchorman

Oct 19, 2007
Was certainly a game of two halves this morning. Ran with a running mate for the first half but he started to struggle so I pushed on after that. Finished in 1:50 even though my final 5k would be close to a SB - last two miles 7:14, 7:11.
Speaking of SB's Gaffer, is my table 'suspension' over yet and can my SB of 22:31 be reinstated? I can confirm it was achieved using only Brooks adrenalines! It will only be one more position for you to leap frog anyway now you've had the good news about your health scare!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Any of you out there run the Hampton Court Half this morning? I definitely got a cheery chant of "Seaaaaagulls" from one of the runners as they went past. I smiled behind my camera, resplendent in club beanie and black away shirt.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Absolutely massive respect to you and the other volunteers. The only thing worse than running into that wind would be standing still in it, getting covered in cold water.

Absolutely this!! Just got home after the the run (1:58) and I couldn’t agree more. Thanks to all the volunteers who stood in absolutely shitty conditions to help out.

Actually made me think i should volunteer to help for the full marathon as not running this year !

Thanks again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here