Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s a load of bollocks, isn’t it? Current difference in world record is approx +13% for women, so the GFA times should correspond to that. In this case the equivalent women’s time would be 3:40, which is a completely different class to 4 hrs.

It is. It's about a minute a mile out. Guess it must be due in part to relative numbers of runners applying too (although looking at events these days, female participation is definitely increasing)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It is. It's about a minute a mile out. Guess it must be due in part to relative numbers of runners applying too (although looking at events these days, female participation is definitely increasing)

Looking at Bright10's results (I just checked again though I was struck by this when I first went on the results site) there were 1208 runners of whom 631 (52%) were male. However I was 380th overall but 300th in my gender - in other words only 80 women finished in front of me. This was in a field of decent club runners with fewer "fun" type runners there than the first year it was run. My time extrapolates out to a 3:47 marathon on the Macmillan calculator (I will literally fall over if I get this however :lolol:) but that gives me a 13 min "window" for sub 4. Realistically my Brighton aim is still 3.59.00 and I reckon Bright10 has me exactly on course.

I'm not sure how typical this race is but the expected % of women hitting this GFA based on Bright10 would be pretty low.

Still sucks though.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
On the positive side, it does always leave the option of having a sex change in order to achieve a GFA time. And let’s face it for most of us this is more feasible than achieving the men’s GFA targets.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I think I'm unlikely to get in, again. Too many people I know are in already! Without wanting to kick the hornets nest, is now a good time to mention the good for age disparity? 3:31 qualified a friend of mine for Boston next year, how is that reasonable? Is that good for a 27 year old female? I'm not having a go, I've only beaten that once and this is a girl who has a 3:13 in her history which is belting - but 3:31? Is that enough to qualify for Boston when a male has to run sub-3?

I have mixed feelings on this. A friend of mine did a 3:31 to get into Boston and she trained her arse off to achieve that. She had to come through a couple of injuries which hit her just before previous marathons, so it's been a long, hard slog to get her BQ. She still can't believe she's actually done it, as a runner it has been her only goal for over 2 years.

On the other hand, I have a friend who thinks the gap is way too big. She did a 3:15 to get into Boston and doesn't feel like she had to work any harder than I did to get my 3:06 (and miss out).

I guess the problem is there are more fast male marathon runners than fast female marathon runners, and they're trying to have a balanced field. I'm not too disappointed I missed out myself because my goal for my marathon was to get a fast time and I wasn't expecting to get a BQ. Now I'm training to try and get a BQ and ideally get a sub 3 time (my BQ is 3:05 now). I'll be gutted if I miss out this time, then I might have a different view on the difference between the times for men and women!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thought I'd have a little look into this. The main problem is that Boston MA won't say what their objective is with the new qualifying times, if they have one at all. This has led to years of male dissent.

The following study from 2015 suggests male and female age grade percentages could be used for qualification as they have already been worked out based on male and female relative abilities linked to age and finish time at a competitive level.

Based on that I'm out. Based on previous rules I'm out. Based on a sex change for both I'm out.

https://content.iospress.com/articles/journal-of-sports-analytics/jsa0003

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thought I'd have a little look into this. The main problem is that Boston MA won't say what their objective is with the new qualifying times, if they have one at all. This has led to years of male dissent.

The following study from 2015 suggests male and female age grade percentages could be used for qualification as they have already been worked out based on male and female relative abilities linked to age and finish time at a competitive level.

Based on that I'm out. Based on previous rules I'm out. Based on a sex change for both I'm out.

https://content.iospress.com/articles/journal-of-sports-analytics/jsa0003

I got as far as "59 second grace period" and started crying. Does this mean I could technically claim up to 2013 that I'd done sub four if you used Boston qualifying methods instead of actual times? :mad:

Last edited:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Just entered The Albion Half Marathon.
I'm guessing at 31 laps of The Amex!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Anyone planning on doing the Toon parkrun next weekend ?

I've done it once before, I was 30th in 19:17! I wasn't hanging around but those boys are quick. I was talking to the Director afterwards and he didn't believe how many we had in Brighton and Hove, plus the surrounding area. He was surprised by the attendances at each of them but we're just that sort of city!

It's a strange course, loads of turns and changes of surface but not much elevation and very well marshalled.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've done it once before, I was 30th in 19:17! I wasn't hanging around but those boys are quick. I was talking to the Director afterwards and he didn't believe how many we had in Brighton and Hove, plus the surrounding area. He was surprised by the attendances at each of them but we're just that sort of city!

It's a strange course, loads of turns and changes of surface but not much elevation and very well marshalled.

Thanks, might give it a go

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Sorry, a bit rubbish for the instigator to bail (again) but now have to pick up my son from play date and drop at football rather than parkrun. Grr :rant:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sorry, a bit rubbish for the instigator to bail (again) but now have to pick up my son from play date and drop at football rather than parkrun. Grr :rant:

A quick show of hands voted your DNS as the worst NSC running performance on record. :lolol:

Manged to dip under 21 today with a 20:57. 75.26% AG a couple of weeks from the annual age upgrade. Best effort for 30 months at Hove Park even if the hill felt like a mountain. Now down to less than 5% improvement needed on a flat course with one turn and favourable conditions.......

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A quick show of hands voted your DNS as the worst NSC running performance on record. :lolol:

Manged to dip under 21 today with a 20:57. 75.26% AG a couple of weeks from the annual age upgrade. Best effort for 30 months at Hove Park even if the hill felt like a mountain. Now down to less than 5% improvement needed on a flat course with one turn and favourable conditions.......

Outstanding (from you that is, not @GB who is clearly a fail)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm assuming the Russell Martin who came 13th is THE Russell Martin, but I didn't happen to see him.

That probably is the Russel Martin as he fits the age bracket.With a mere 19:21, 67.18 % AG and PB today he is a useful guinea pig in our "can footballers run a fast 5K" debate. We'll give him some time to get into it though.

He's getting nicely up to speed with a 19:03 at the Park today.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He's getting nicely up to speed with a 19:03 at the Park today.

Was it definitely the man himself? If so, it might go someway to answering the age old, "how fast can footballers run a 5k? question. He's not particularly noted for his speed but he is a seasoned professional. I'm amazed he hasn't rolled up at a football league club. Or Salford for the £££.

I ended up failing to make Lancing by a fairly large distance. I went to Preston Park instead and ended up meeting the genuine first woman home, although she didn't know what parkrun was and just happened to be in the park. She wasn't registered so it won't matter, but a strong parkrun debut for her - running 20:08. I managed a 19:45 which is ok given it's been a strong week of training. I did commit to running it again next week and pacing her for 20 so if anyone wants in on that, you're welcome!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

Outstanding (from you that is, not @GB who is clearly a fail)

A shameful performance. I am hanging me head right now. The only decent thing is the trade off was Mrs has kids tomorrow morning and I can do a proper old school long run. I'm thinking of 13 odd miles though the weather currently looks very iffy. I think I'll go back to my old parkrun MO of reading this thread and then just turning up if the family commitments allow.

Was it definitely the man himself? If so, it might go someway to answering the age old, "how fast can footballers run a 5k? question. He's not particularly noted for his speed but he is a seasoned professional. I'm amazed he hasn't rolled up at a football league club. Or Salford for the £££.

I ended up failing to make Lancing by a fairly large distance. I went to Preston Park instead and ended up meeting the genuine first woman home, although she didn't know what parkrun was and just happened to be in the park. She wasn't registered so it won't matter, but a strong parkrun debut for her - running 20:08. I managed a 19:45 which is ok given it's been a strong week of training. I did commit to running it again next week and pacing her for 20 so if anyone wants in on that, you're welcome!

I reckon a lot of current footballers would make decent athletes though I suspect most wouldn't do more than a 5k. I know Nathan Jones used to tweet his strava and had pretty decent pace and he was retired. He ran a bit further, probably because not playing any more. I think his standard recovery run was 7k. On the flip side I saw one of the coaches I know from local kids' football who was a decent local player struggling round parkrun in about 35 mins. Most of his kids beat him. All down to conditioning, size and practice just like us.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
A shameful performance. I am hanging me head right now. The only decent thing is the trade off was Mrs has kids tomorrow morning and I can do a proper old school long run. I'm thinking of 13 odd miles though the weather currently looks very iffy. I think I'll go back to my old parkrun MO of reading this thread and then just turning up if the family commitments allow.

I reckon a lot of current footballers would make decent athletes though I suspect most wouldn't do more than a 5k. I know Nathan Jones used to tweet his strava and had pretty decent pace and he was retired. He ran a bit further, probably because not playing any more. I think his standard recovery run was 7k. On the flip side I saw one of the coaches I know from local kids' football who was a decent local player struggling round parkrun in about 35 mins. Most of his kids beat him. All down to conditioning, size and practice just like us.

Seen Paul Rogers and the FDM out running several times around Burgess Hill, both look as fit as the proverbial butcher’s dogs still. They play football every week too. Stockdale used to post his runs on Strava for a while (possibly when he was ‘put on a programme’ perhaps [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]) when he was with us - he was well over 25 mins for 5k.

Hope the weather isn’t too iffy tonight........25 miles on the Ridgeway national trail will be a bit grim.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
The debate with Hans Kraay was that any professional footballer could run a sub 18 minute 5k.

My thoughts were that it would be a tough ask and maybe 50% at best could. Although I reckon the real figure is 25-33% would achieve.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The debate with Hans Kraay was that any professional footballer could run a sub 18 minute 5k.

My thoughts were that it would be a tough ask and maybe 50% at best could. Although I reckon the real figure is 25-33% would achieve.

Sounds about right if on ‘current form’..........although would be a much higher % if they dedicated a period of training specifically to it.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My opinion remains that, of the current Brighton squad, I think that Davy Pröpper would be the quickest over 5k. Bong would be among the slowest I think, but there's no way every member of the squad would be sub 18 and I suspect that the majority would struggle for a sub 20.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here