Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Anyone any ideas how to recover from shin splints?

Had it bad after the Reading Half Marathon in March so stopped training completly since then but can't get rid. Tried a very short run last week and they were killing the next day !

Try ice. 5 mins every couple of hours. I had them really badly about 15 yrs ago during my 1st marathon training.

There is nothing you can do about shin splints. The only solution is to rest until it goes away.

However, once healed, persistant running will eventually more or less eliminate this problem eventually. You just stop getting them.

This :thumbsup:

When you get back to running, be careful to build up your milage very slowly though. Whilst this is good advice generally it is a must for some injuries like splints.

And this:thumbsup:

Spot on, I havent had them again since, just other injuries :(

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I registered for the Hove Park run, can't do it tomorrow as I don't finish work till 6am and I need my beauty sleep before the Albion but I do intend to get involved when work permits. Did 5 miles in the rain yesterday and starting to think about proper training plans for the marathon in April.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I registered for the Hove Park run, can't do it tomorrow as I don't finish work till 6am and I need my beauty sleep before the Albion but I do intend to get involved when work permits. Did 5 miles in the rain yesterday and starting to think about proper training plans for the marathon in April.

Runner's World has a wide range of marathon plans for every type of runner you can think of. You will need to subscribe to the magazine, which is not a bad thing in itself, to get access though.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I've just started to give jogging/running a go recently. I use to swim a lot, but a really nasty ear infection has put paid to that for a while. I've been running 3 or 4 times a week for the past 3 weeks and whilst only managing to run a mile in about 7.5 mins I've already seen an improvemment in my performance. I think I might start to up the distance now, maybe only by adding a little bit on each week as I don't want to push it too hard and get an injury.

Big thing I've noticed though is that its a totally different technique to swimming, a lot more demanding on different areas of the body.

Any hints or tips for a newbie would be most welcome.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Anyone else doing the New Forest marathon on 26th September? My first full marathon having done several halfs and loads of 10ks in the last 2.5 years since starting at 41. Its undulating (not sure how hilly) so I'm using it as a dress rehearsal for a fast "flat" Brighton next year.

It does make me chuckle when some target a marathon as their first race, rather than build up through race distances, and then wonder why its so tough or give up.

Rather than bother with websites to check on runs, if you can afford one, I would highly recommend a Garmin GPS watch. My basic 205 (no heart rate monitor) cost £110 new on Amazon, and its transformed my training/pacing etc.

I got shinsplints when I first started, but after proper rest they do go away, and as long as you keep the training up, wont come back. Would avoid hills in the early days until your muscles attached to your shins have caught up with your enthusiasm!!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I've just started to give jogging/running a go recently. I use to swim a lot, but a really nasty ear infection has put paid to that for a while. I've been running 3 or 4 times a week for the past 3 weeks and whilst only managing to run a mile in about 7.5 mins I've already seen an improvemment in my performance. I think I might start to up the distance now, maybe only by adding a little bit on each week as I don't want to push it too hard and get an injury.

Big thing I've noticed though is that its a totally different technique to swimming, a lot more demanding on different areas of the body.

Any hints or tips for a newbie would be most welcome.

Yeah, swiming/jogging are completely different which I found out the hard way when coming back to jogging after a prolonged period of swimming when resting my injured foot!!

I do wonder how people train for triathalons to be honest.

I'm quite tempted to sign up for this:

Hell Down South

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
I'm doing my frst ever official run on October 3rd in the Brighton 10k. Not really sure what my aim is but anything near 50 mins im sure I'll be happy with! Im 23 and have always been pretty fit,il just have to keep off the booze for the week before???

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I'm doing the Folkestone 1/2 marathon on the 26th September, aiming for sub 1.40 and then the Ashford 10k 2 weeks later when I am aiming for a sub 45 - getting below 40 is hard.

Have been training loads and feeling pretty fit, did 16km of x country on sunday in 1h25 so should be on track!

Dex10

Sep 8, 2010
After reading about the Hove Park 5k on here a couple of weeks ago I have decided to give it a go and take up running. I have been surprised about my lack of fitness as I didnt think 2.5 times around hove park sounded that far, however, the first time i tried it i struggled to do one lap and ended up walking for a few minutes half way round.

I have just got back from a second attempt and managed to complete one lap without stopping and feel much better about myself.... I hope to be able to do the 5K in a couple of weeks but like a few on here would welcome any advice.....

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
If you are a new runner, then try "Couch to 5K". http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtmlIt is a good structured programme which builds up distance and speed over 9 weeks. It also has loads of links to podcasts to help you change pace and keep you going. Only thing missing is the induction week - some people simply cannot run. If you cannot run at all, then build up distance with walking for a couple of weeks, aiming to get to the "tipping point" where you are walking as fast as you can without breaking into a jog, then start the programme. If you are going to do this in the gym, then increase the incline to 1%, otherwise the difference from gym to street running is painful!

Apart from that iTunes has loads of great running podcasts, many of them sorted by BPM and set into intervals for you. A lot of techno which is not really my thing, but the fact I don't like the music seems to keep me going!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
After reading about the Hove Park 5k on here a couple of weeks ago I have decided to give it a go and take up running. I have been surprised about my lack of fitness as I didnt think 2.5 times around hove park sounded that far, however, the first time i tried it i struggled to do one lap and ended up walking for a few minutes half way round.

I have just got back from a second attempt and managed to complete one lap without stopping and feel much better about myself.... I hope to be able to do the 5K in a couple of weeks but like a few on here would welcome any advice.....

Try and run a couple of times in the week if you can. 3 times a week is good-ish practice for a beginner. And dont get too worried about other people. Just compare yourself with yourself...and try and up your distances or improve your times every so often. Soon the 5k will be completed, and then a few weeks later it will feel straight forward. Once you start to notice improvement running becomes easier I find. And soon you'll want to test yourself at 10k. And so on. Good luck.

i struggled with my pratice run but managed 5k pratice round hove park at 2nd attempt,last saturday was my first saturday 5k knocked a minute 24 secs off pratice time,give it a go as its a good focus for the week,go for it:thumbsup:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I have to do most of my training on a treadmill as I work on a ship for 3 months at a time.
I find that when I get a chance to run on land it's as if I haven't been training for ages. So my conclusion is, treadmills are shite! Thoughts?
Planning on aiming for my first marathon in Brighton next year, (my 50th).
Been a runner since I was in my late teens, love it, but never got around to attempting the big one till now.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I have to do most of my training on a treadmill as I work on a ship for 3 months at a time.
I find that when I get a chance to run on land it's as if I haven't been training for ages. So my conclusion is, treadmills are shite! Thoughts?
Been a runner since I was in my late teens, love it, but never got around to attempting the big one till now.

Yes - becuase you are maintaining place, not propelling your body weight. You need to set the incline to 1% to increase the resistance and then you will notice that there is less difference in the two training types.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I can transfer treadmill to road quite easily. I find I am unable to really stretch my legs on a treadmill so when I go back out on the road I'm really stretching out and balancing out the limitations of the treadmill...if you get my drift.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here