Page 1280 of 1447 FirstFirst ... 2807801180123012701277127812791280128112821283129013301380 ... LastLast
Results 12,791 to 12,800 of 14463
    Members

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Nelson's teacher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As there seems to be a number of NSC runners preparing for a marathon, I thought you might be interested in this. I can't commend it as such - just putting it out there in case it's of use. Happy running!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...unning-success
    Late to marathons I've done BM every year except last. I've followed that formula every time. 3:40 and a time that a mate got 20 years ago is a challenging time. Second year I got a steady 3:50. Next three all ended arse up either side of the 4 hours as I failed for the elusive hunt for 3:40 (half marathon times still ok).
    Thinking of the train system in Italy in the 80's has helped me considerably. Plagued with 90% of cross Italy trains being late by half an hour some bright spark rewrote the timetable adding 30" to all journeys. Problem solved (maybe an urban myth).

Following this I've targeted 4 hours and long run drops to 10 and marathon pace 9". Other factors to drop down from 1.6 are low accumulative mileage due to recent return from running and needing 2 days recovery from Sunday Long runs due to age and DOMS.

On a more interesting note got chatted up by 80 year old running Worthing Oxfam Bookshop yesterday. Playing Land of Hope and Glory she had to whisper that she was an anti monarchist Republican. I countered with Clockwork Orange and she brought up Lady Chatterley's Lover. What a girl!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by knocky1 View Post
      Late to marathons I've done BM every year except last. I've followed that formula every time. 3:40 and a time that a mate got 20 years ago is a challenging time. Second year I got a steady 3:50. Next three all ended arse up either side of the 4 hours as I failed for the elusive hunt for 3:40 (half marathon times still ok).
      Thinking of the train system in Italy in the 80's has helped me considerably. Plagued with 90% of cross Italy trains being late by half an hour some bright spark rewrote the timetable adding 30" to all journeys. Problem solved (maybe an urban myth).

Following this I've targeted 4 hours and long run drops to 10 and marathon pace 9". Other factors to drop down from 1.6 are low accumulative mileage due to recent return from running and needing 2 days recovery from Sunday Long runs due to age and DOMS.

On a more interesting note got chatted up by 80 year old running Worthing Oxfam Bookshop yesterday. Playing Land of Hope and Glory she had to whisper that she was an anti monarchist Republican. I countered with Clockwork Orange and she brought up Lady Chatterley's Lover. What a girl!
      She looked 80 but by Worthing standards she was probably an intern.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      Latest net weather has it dry but incredibly cold. Probably ok running weather if you can get your breathing sorted but I'll be finding some old gloves and a jumper I don't mind losing to wear before the start! I've been ok on early frosty / icy runs before, hopefully the fast guys will melt the surface for us plodders.
      Just checked and the lows on Sunday are -2° apparently! That'll be nice. Glad I didn't pack up the winter weather gear now...

1 Not allowed!
      Well, my mate Dave has pulled out of the Brighton Half due to fear of the distance. He is the guy who effectively paid my entry to the Bright10 (and I set a 10 mile time quicker than his 10k PB!), and he's come up trumps again.

@big nuts - Re-match?!
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Elephant View Post
      Well, my mate Dave has pulled out of the Brighton Half due to fear of the distance. He is the guy who effectively paid my entry to the Bright10 (and I set a 10 mile time quicker than his 10k PB!), and he's come up trumps again.

@big nuts - Re-match?!
      Of course. Let's try and start together if we can this time.

You will start as strong bookies favourite and most of the spread betting markets are going above or below 30 seconds so I know I have my work cut out.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      A non show at the start line @Ninja Elephant and I reckon @big nuts takes the Gold. Although @The Complete Badger must be in with a shout and the right to run incognito.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by big nuts View Post
      Of course. Let's try and start together if we can this time.

You will start as strong bookies favourite and most of the spread betting markets are going above or below 30 seconds so I know I have my work cut out.
      Quote Originally Posted by knocky1 View Post
      A non show at the start line @Ninja Elephant and I reckon @big nuts takes the Gold. Although @The Complete Badger must be in with a shout and the right to run incognito.
      I'm not sure if I want to start with you, I might try and use you as a pacer and then try to nick the win close to the line! I'm not so worried about a PB this time, I'm not in the state of readiness that I was for Worthing. I'm worried ONLY about getting the NSC Gold medal this time! Another solid run from @The Complete Badger yesterday means we both need to be a little bit wary. I'll be keeping a beady eye on him at the Roedean turn.

I'd like to believe I can comfortably make the start time, but I should be honest with everyone and admit it's not a certainty!
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      The challenger deserves a clear sight of the rabbit at the start line......
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      shame they can't wear a NSC kit (or cloak) so we know who they are on Sunday
      never forget what Stanley, Archer and Bellotti did

3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by timbha View Post
      shame they can't wear a NSC kit (or cloak) so we know who they are on Sunday
      Mrs harmonica is involved with the Christmas decorations at the Amex. Barber didn’t like these and they got binned. I think I still have 7 or 8 we could use to form some kind of hat so all NSC runners were easily recognisable. Name:  D2086C35-7186-4BC3-A1AB-B1CF76CC44B9.jpeg
Views: 86
Size:  542.9 KB