Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
If anyone would like my entry to the Phoenix Wednesday, be my guest and take the entry. I can meet you on the day of the race, as I'll be an interested spectator.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
NAME SB PB AG
Curious Orange 18:36 18:36 73.92%
Ninja Elephant 18:50 18:50 67.80%
Big Nuts 19:00 18:40 70.26%
Hooky 19:52 19:52 71.90%
Penny's Harmonica 20:10 20:10 72:56%
St Leonard's 20.15 20.0064.77%
Dazzer 20.22 19.57 72.42%
GNT 20.29 20:20 79.66%
JoePrecious 21:04 19:44 66.30%
Simgull 21:20 20:21 69.14%
Left Back 21:28 21:28 68.17%
Greg Bobkin 21:44 20:54 61.83%
Knocky 21:56 17:45 71.28%
Soistes 21:59 21:59 73.62%
Anchorman 22:44 21:34 68.77%
Comp Badger 23:27 23:27 55.%
Seaford 23:38 23:38
m20gull28:18 26:15 54.3%

I have a minute spare Badger. Moved you up too.

Who is doing the Phoenix on Wednesday? We seem to be suffering a lot of injuries. I'm looking at a 48-50 finish with a very easy 5K followed by a nearly pushing it 5k. Want to save some energy for The Brunswick afterwards.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I am doing the Phoenix 10k on Wednesday. Did 51.40 at the British 10k in Westminster yesterday. Standing up for about 6 hours (with a large chunk of that in sweltering sun and heat) watching Noel Gallgher and then U2 at Twickenham , plus eating at 1am was not idea preparation so was happy with that time, was never going to go sub 50 which is what I want Wednesday evening.

My Parkrun was 25.58 55.91%. As its the only one I have done also my PB!

D

Deleted member 2719

Without training and not having run for 20 years what sort of time would be good for an over 50 for 5k???

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Without training and not having run for 20 years what sort of time would be good for an over 50 for 5k???

What time was the 50 year old capable of 20 years ago ?
Does 'without training' mean just no running, or no exercise at all for 20 years ?
How does the individual's weight compare now with 20 years ago ?

Absent other relevant info, I'll go for a DNF with a torn calf muscle.

D

Deleted member 2719

What time was the 50 year old capable of 20 years ago ?
Does 'without training' mean just no running, or no exercise at all for 20 years ?
How does the individual's weight compare now with 20 years ago ?

Absent other relevant info, I'll go for a DNF with a torn calf muscle.

I was football fit 20 years ago but never ran a 5k, i did run a half marathon once without any running training on the hottest day of the year and badly judged the pace and finished around 2 hours.

I am probably 10 lbs heavier than 20 years ago, so a tad heavy than i would like to be.

A DNF is out of the question though as i would have to be dead!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was football fit 20 years ago but never ran a 5k, i did run a half marathon once without any running training on the hottest day of the year and badly judged the pace and finished around 2 hours.

I am probably 10 lbs heavier than 20 years ago, so a tad heavy than i would like to be.

Well 30 minutes for your first one would be a good start. You may have to rely on your football fitness and go into extra time but hopefully there won't be any injury time.
I'd build up to the 5k gradually or you're likely to get an injury. Once you've run one you know what you have to beat.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm out of Phoenix. Managed 5 miles in the last two weeks. Doubt I'd get round in less than an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm out of Phoenix. Managed 5 miles in the last two weeks. Doubt I'd get round in less than an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a long list. Good luck to all on it. I'm only on 6.2 miles in 2 weeks but will do it as a training run.
I think it's just me, [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION].

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
It's a long list. Good luck to all on it. I'm only on 6.2 miles in 2 weeks but will do it as a training run.
I think it's just me, [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION].

I think [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] is running and if [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] fancies putting away the yoga mat and running a 10k road race (I know he loves them) then I've got a entry for him.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

How far over 50 are you? There's a big difference between 50 and 59. Then there's the course. If it's a parkrun then check out the flatter/faster courses in the vicinity. This sounds like it's developing into a prediction competition so I'm plumping for 29.30. BTW you'd be qualified to join the NSC parkrun league but maybe not be placed at the top of it..........at first anyway. Besides, turning up with no training & over 50 and running a sub 20 would make you something of a hate figure in these parts! There's a few of us over 50 so you are not alone. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

D

Deleted member 2719

Well 30 minutes for your first one would be a good start. You may have to rely on your football fitness and go into extra time but hopefully there won't be any injury time.
I'd build up to the 5k gradually or you're likely to get an injury. Once you've run one you know what you have to beat.

Okay I will target 30mins for my first 5k, but I think I may try running a 2k during the week. I think I will target to just to keep moving!! Most of my football fitness was tackling can you do that on a park run!!

How far over 50 are you? There's a big difference between 50 and 59. Then there's the course. If it's a parkrun then check out the flatter/faster courses in the vicinity. This sounds like it's developing into a prediction competition so I'm plumping for 29.30. BTW you'd be qualified to join the NSC parkrun league but maybe not be placed at the top of it..........at first anyway. Besides, turning up with no training & over 50 and running a sub 20 would make you something of a hate figure in these parts! There's a few of us over 50 so you are not alone. Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

I am 53, I know how serious you guys take it, so I may have to start off in NSC league 2!
I will have to eat copious amounts of Haribos before a race, that should do the trick.:rock:punk:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Okay I will target 30mins for my first 5k, but I think I may try running a 2k during the week. I think I will target to just to keep moving!! Most of my football fitness was tackling can you do that on a park run!!

I am 53, I know how serious you guys take it, so I may have to start off in NSC league 2!
I will have to eat copious amounts of Haribos before a race, that should do the trick.:rock:punk:

If I was you I would try a 1km run (or see if you can run for 7/8 minutes) and depending how you get on step it up by 1km each week, before taking on a Parkrun. Alternatively approach the Parkrun with the mind set that you will run say 200m, then walk 100m, run another 200m, and so on. The running part can be increased each week (if you can) and in turn you will be motivated by PBs for the first few weeks. Good luck - what the guys above forget to say is that at the end of every run you usually feel shattered and wondering whether it's all worth it.....then five minutes later you are planning how to do a better run next time.

ps - a water bottle is better than Hariibos

D

Deleted member 2719

If I was you I would try a 1km run (or see if you can run for 7/8 minutes) and depending how you get on step it up by 1km each week, before taking on a Parkrun. Alternatively approach the Parkrun with the mind set that you will run say 200m, then walk 100m, run another 200m, and so on. The running part can be increased each week (if you can) and in turn you will be motivated by PBs for the first few weeks. Good luck - what the guys above forget to say is that at the end of every run you usually feel shattered and wondering whether it's all worth it.....then five minutes later you are planning how to do a better run next time.

ps - a water bottle is better than Hariibos

Excellent advice, it is probably wishful thinking on doing a full 2k in one hit, as I do always tend to push myself, my mind is still very much half my age and I sometimes think my body is!!
I was jesting about the Haribos!
I am generally just wanting to keep my fitness level higher, but PB'S will Inspire me!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Excellent advice, it is probably wishful thinking on doing a full 2k in one hit, as I do always tend to push myself, my mind is still very much half my age and I sometimes think my body is!!
I was jesting about the Haribos!
I am generally just wanting to keep my fitness level higher, but PB'S will Inspire me!

keep us posted with your progress. The guys on here are genuinely interested in how fellow NSC runners are doing and have many years of good (and bad) experiences and tips to pass on. Decent running shoes (once you've got the bug) are a must.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here