Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
I'm sorry to hear that fella, you did come across a bit down after Preston Park whenever that one was! 30th December maybe?!

I think that the running mojo comes and goes, I wouldn't worry about it too much - but try to keep something going so that when your mojo bounces back, you don't injure yourself in your keenness to get back on the horse. I found my mojo was pretty solid throughout last year because I had the constant goals I was attacking, but the previous year was my least running activity I think, the mojo dipped here and there because I'd reached a comfort zone. Last year I re-focused and that was the key.

In terms of running whilst needing to drop some kids off at the pool, I've only been caught out three times and had to deface the ground, it's not pleasant. One of them was a particularly hot summers morning, before 6am. That one was an absolute nightmare, but it came out of nowhere. The combination of running and heat generally tends to cook my guts much quicker! Most parkruns are run within about 30 minutes of my waking up, so there's not generally time to take care of business pre-run.

Following on from mentioning that my running mojo was awol - I'd like to say thanks for all the advice, suggestions and general wise words I received from several on here (as well as NE, The Complete B. Herr T & Penny's H - I don't know how to properly link to other users with an "@" at the front). I've taken it all onboard and have set myself some challenging goals for this year (well challenging for me, anyway) to get the mojo back. Starting with the Worthing Half Marathon in Feb - it was my first half marathon last year and despite telling myself I wouldn't run the same one twice ... I gonna run the same one the very next year. I'll try to slot another HM in before, if all goes to plan, I will be attempting the 3 forts half marathon in May - which looks pretty tough (not ready for a full marathon, yet).

So thanks all ...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Following on from mentioning that my running mojo was awol - I'd like to say thanks for all the advice, suggestions and general wise words I received from several on here (as well as NE, The Complete B. Herr T & Penny's H - I don't know how to properly link to other users with an "@" at the front). I've taken it all onboard and have set myself some challenging goals for this year (well challenging for me, anyway) to get the mojo back. Starting with the Worthing Half Marathon in Feb - it was my first half marathon last year and despite telling myself I wouldn't run the same one twice ... I gonna run the same one the very next year. I'll try to slot another HM in before, if all goes to plan, I will be attempting the 3 forts half marathon in May - which looks pretty tough (not ready for a full marathon, yet).

So thanks all ...

Good fighting plan you've got there. I may join you on the Three Forts Half 6th May. It's a great event but will decide after the Brighton Marathon.

Having missed a lot of 2017 shame I couldn't have given you my mojo! It was fed up sitting around doing nothing. Good luck.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Managed my first run for 5 months at lunchtime, a staggeringly GINGER 5k in 32.16 but no big issues during. Waiting to see if either tendon, hip or groin flares up tonight - if not I'm (sort of) back.

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Just signed up for the Bluebell 10 miler at the end of April (working toward the Mid Sussex marathon weekend).

Done a couple of parkruns and 10ks so think it is the natural progression (if my joints hold out!)

Thank god for a great running club and lots of support!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Managed my first run for 5 months at lunchtime, a staggeringly GINGER 5k in 32.16 but no big issues during. Waiting to see if either tendon, hip or groin flares up tonight - if not I'm (sort of) back.
Great news.....take it gently even if no issues arise. Think about some run/walks (even if it's something like 8 on/2 off for example) for a bit......usual protocol after a long layoff.

Fingers crossed [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Just signed up for the Loch Ness marathon in September. That will bring my total for 2018 to 4.

I am not looking at any others now, however I still fancy another Ultra marathon or a trail marathon. I am lucky that my running mojo is alive and kicking.

My next run is the Worthing HM in roughly 4 weeks time , 11th February. Anyone else doing this? A new one for me.

Mark

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Oh also forgot to mention I did the Brixton 10k last Sunday. Three laps of Brockwell Park (last went there in 1994 for a Levellers/Manic Street Preachers free gig!), took it easy as had the tail end of the flu that floored me for a week, still got the effects slightly now. I have to confess I only did it for the medal, time was 54.00 but it was ahilly course and I was wheezing like an 80 a day smoker!

MEDAL.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just signed up for the Bluebell 10 miler at the end of April (working toward the Mid Sussex marathon weekend).

Done a couple of parkruns and 10ks so think it is the natural progression (if my joints hold out!)

Good run the Bluebell. Did the shorter 10K option about 10 years ago and achieved my only ever LAST place. Bottle of wine night before, cycled the 20+ miles from Hove to the start, wore Inov8 studded off road shoes on hard paths, didn't drink water and set off too quickly. End result cramp that made my calf feel as if it had split in two. Five mistakes in one morning.
Had to walk out the woods. Eventually walked over the finish line with one shoe on at around 1 hour 35. Announced as last runner over the tannoy and given a ******* standing ovation by those who hadn't yet gone home. The bluebells were pretty though.........

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Managed my first run for 5 months at lunchtime, a staggeringly GINGER 5k in 32.16 but......[/QUOTE

Welcome back. A few years ago your post would have raised all sorts of witty comments and descriptions of your running style.
What were you wearing?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Managed my first run for 5 months at lunchtime, a staggeringly GINGER 5k in 32.16 but......[/QUOTE

Welcome back. A few years ago your post would have raised all sorts of witty comments and descriptions of your running style.
What were you wearing?

:lolol:

Nothing embarrassing but it's a good job running tops are stretchy :(

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Great to hear. Hope to see you around some early Sunday mornings in the weeks ahead. Possibly...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Just signed up for the Loch Ness marathon in September. That will bring my total for 2018 to 4.

I am not looking at any others now, however I still fancy another Ultra marathon or a trail marathon. I am lucky that my running mojo is alive and kicking.

My next run is the Worthing HM in roughly 4 weeks time , 11th February. Anyone else doing this? A new one for me.

Mark

Yes I'll be there. This will be my second event of the year after the Bedgebury 10 mile first Sunday in February which seems like perfect prep.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

I've not seen this one, but I might get on this one with a start and finish at a pub.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Great to hear. Hope to see you around some early Sunday mornings in the weeks ahead. Possibly...

Cheers matey. It's entirely possible. I haven't totally given up thoughts of the Brighton Half, though it was a 10 miler that broke me last time. The odd Hove Park park run should certainly be an option.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

Mark

Yes I’m in for Worthing. Love the Brixton medal!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Positives of Hove Park today were thrashing [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and getting 70.33% AG on a full out slowish effort of 22:25.

Negative was a tactical finish that I lost and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] won. Sneaked up on run in, sat behind, went to rush by with 50m left and he upped his pace........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here