Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
"Interesting" run this morning. By which I mean crap.

Storm kept me awake but still had to get up early to fit it in. Have decided to do shorter mid-week runs on "empty" (no breakfast before) to try and shift the weight I added back on when I was injured. I assumed the storm would have cooled the air down.

However it turns out that if you go for a run when it's hot and humid after no food and little sleep you die on your arse after mile 3. :(

Won't have been the lack of food.......3 miles nowhere near enough to cause any issues. Humidity very much so though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
First run since Sunday for me – the parents' race at Jnr's school. Came third and realised I need to work on my sprinting, but I loved it. Makes a change running such short distances! Out tomorrow for a little run – two weeks of yoga and I feel more flexible. IT REALLY WORKS!!

Any more of the NSC crew at Lunar-Tic on Saturday night?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Any advice would be great! Basically have massively fallen out of love with running. Have done 4 marathons in the past, but the most recent half I did after nowhere near enough training was a complete failure, probably the worst run of my life. (Was originally meant to be a full but downgraded).

My training times were miles off what I was achieving before which really hit my motivation levels. Seem to have general low energy levels at the moment so going to go to the docs in any case to make sure not something more serious but I really noticed it while running and running low on energy really early on.

So basically have stopped altogether, which means putting on weight and getting even more out of shape, whats some good targets to get me going again? My PB over 5k is 21 mins so thinking of starting a training plan to try and get back to that and maybe even been 20 mins but not sure that's enough motivation!

Sign up with a running group, or make a standing arrangement with some running friends to run once or twice a week at a regular time. In my experience having made the commitment to running with others gets you out there when you wouldn't otherwise do it, and once you're out there it's really much more enjoyable and motivating to run with a group. There will always be at least one person in the group, who's feeling less fit or less motivated, but it's much easier to get past that in the company of other runners. I find that having at least one or two of my regular weekly runs as a group run makes a huge difference all round. You also learn a lot from chatting to them while you run - not only just about running either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Any advice would be great! Basically have massively fallen out of love with running. Have done 4 marathons in the past, but the most recent half I did after nowhere near enough training was a complete failure, probably the worst run of my life. (Was originally meant to be a full but downgraded).

My training times were miles off what I was achieving before which really hit my motivation levels. Seem to have general low energy levels at the moment so going to go to the docs in any case to make sure not something more serious but I really noticed it while running and running low on energy really early on.

So basically have stopped altogether, which means putting on weight and getting even more out of shape, whats some good targets to get me going again? My PB over 5k is 21 mins so thinking of starting a training plan to try and get back to that and maybe even been 20 mins but not sure that's enough motivation!

Difficult one, but you are DEFINITELY not alone. I would guess that most of us here (and runners in general) have loss of mojo but I think stick at it and it should come back. I would suggest not worrying too much about times (that's from someone who beat themselves up about not making self-imposed marathon target times); drink more water (that helps give me more energy) and basically try and relax and enjoy yourself. I lost mojo after running Brighton and London last year and on the subsequent runs, something was missing. Then one morning, I was heading up the River Adur riverbank and it clicked and I had an absolute blinder of a run. Not a PB time-wise, just REALLY enjoyable. I haven't looked back since – apart from a shocker at Beat The Tide last year which I've well and truly put to bed after smashing it this year.

I wouldn't set targets, just go for a run and see what happens. Maybe try a different route, or a parkrun, head off-rad, or treat yourself to new trainers/top/whatever. It's amazing what can make a difference to your approach to running. And enter a race – maybe one with some of us lot (Bright10 or Barnes Green, for example). Give yourself a goal to aim for.

FWIW, my parkrun PB is 20:54 and I'm not really near that at the moment. Hopefully one day, but I'm happy to see 22 something these days. Hope something in that lot helps and good luck.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Any more of the NSC crew at Lunar-Tic on Saturday night?

Having dutifully followed [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] around for about 17 miles of it last year before dying a death and struggling like a baby to keep moving. I ended up hauling myself around in just over 4:30 but I won't be competing this year. I might pay a visit to the course to wave at a few people I know who are doing it, it's a great event and I've have entered again but for my glass ankle.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Having dutifully followed [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] around for about 17 miles of it last year before dying a death and struggling like a baby to keep moving. I ended up hauling myself around in just over 4:30 but I won't be competing this year. I might pay a visit to the course to wave at a few people I know who are doing it, it's a great event and I've have entered again but for my glass ankle.

Doesn't sound like you competed last year.:lolol:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Doesn't sound like you competed last year.:lolol:

WOW. :down:

That's quite the slap in my face. To be fair, I really didn't. Up to the 16th mile I felt like I was doing ok, but then I died all of a sudden and in the dark. I seem to recall Mr Harmonica losing his way after I'd stopped navigating us though, which makes me feel a bit happier! I was reading their Facebook page after the time and they were talking about a guy who sat down to have a quick break and then woke up a few hours later having had a nice nap but discovered everyone had gone home! At least I wasn't that guy.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

That's quite the slap in my face. To be fair, I really didn't. Up to the 16th mile I felt like I was doing ok, but then I died all of a sudden and in the dark. I seem to recall Mr Harmonica losing his way after I'd stopped navigating us though, which makes me feel a bit happier! I was reading their Facebook page after the time and they were talking about a guy who sat down to have a quick break and then woke up a few hours later having had a nice nap but discovered everyone had gone home! At least I wasn't that guy.

Sorry only joking. I was only comparing you to your own ability. I'd be competing at 4:30 but for you that's a bad day at the office.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

You had a shocker that night but recall you hadn't done any distance training and only entered on a spontaneous wish to take part after we talked about it at Phoenix the week before. You were on time and some how managed to avoid running into the river as you hadn't packed a torch for a night marathon. For that I'm eternally grateful as still makes me laugh. Blind optimism goes a long way. Just not very quickly. Think we both could do better and plan to have another go next year.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Loved the Lunatic last year... I found it was fast running up to Bramber, you could really peg it unless you got stuck behind those walkers.. then a bit slower/colder back on the way down x that by 3 and jobs a goodun. My best ever finish with an un glorious 8th �� Wish I was doing it this year.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Loved the Lunatic last year... I found it was fast running up to Bramber, you could really peg it unless you got stuck behind those walkers.. then a bit slower/colder back on the way down x that by 3 and jobs a goodun. My best ever finish with an un glorious 8th �� Wish I was doing it this year.

Are you injured? Just wondered after reading your rather wistful sign-off and given I've not noticed any recent postings of your mad-cap ultra events.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Anyone doing the 5:30 run on Friday? £18 for a 5k, I think I'll have a lie in.

Sounds a bit steep. I've been following someone on another running forum who's been doing trail runs in Brittany. 5 euros to enter and all the red wine you can drink. Don't want to get into a Brexit type row (there's other threads for that!) but I think the French can teach us a thing or two in this respect.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Are you injured? Just wondered after reading your rather wistful sign-off and given I've not noticed any recent postings of your mad-cap ultra events.

No just working in Cardiff and living out of hotels until the house goes through and the family come and join me. Got some nice runs in and this week it's treadmill mania! Once I've settled and can get some consistency I'll start again for next year. Hopefully the GUCR again and the KACR (kennet and Avon).. So all good

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

That sounds FAR too familiar. It's my trail long run that's been all (relatively) flat and on a course I'm familiar with, so I'm looking forward to it. But that might just be famous last words and I might have a shocker. But the gradual fade to black should be interesting and it's something a bit different...

Put it this way, if I come in at around the 4:30 mark like you last year, I'll be happy!

[MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] I'll probably be out at 5:30am tomorrow for about 5k-ish (hopefully a bit more than that), but I certainly won't be paying £18 for it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
No just working in Cardiff and living out of hotels until the house goes through and the family come and join me. Got some nice runs in and this week it's treadmill mania! Once I've settled and can get some consistency I'll start again for next year. Hopefully the GUCR again and the KACR (kennet and Avon).. So all good

Well then may I convey, on behalf of the good folk of Worthing (who comprise approx. 5.6% of the actual population of Worthing), our sincere best wishes as you and your lovely family relocate across the border, you totally mad ******* (the descriptor is earned through admiration for your running exploits, not for your decision to move to Wales...............but come to think of it). All the best! (PS I did a 4 year stint in Wales too.)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here