Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Yep, the winner around Hove Park was 14:25, he was a few seconds shy of Andrew Baddeley's course record! Crazy pace. My 19:58 was 40th overall, there's been a real upturn in pace around Hove Park this year, and consistently too.

Correction

He's BROKEN the course record! Previously 14:28, the young man (20-24) has smashed it, first ever parkrun. Runs for Brighton Phoenix, take a bow, Charlie Grice. Whoever you are! :bowdown:

Superb time but no great surprise - he is a world class 1500 metres runner. Great that he's a local lad.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Superb time but no great surprise - he is a world class 1500 metres runner. Great that he's a local lad.

Can’t believe I chose today to go to Hove Prom so missed this!

Charlie Grice did represent GB at the Olympics in Rio so he has ‘got form’. How brilliant is it that he turns up to Parkrun!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dismal conditions at Congleton Parkrun today. It was three laps of a lake, almost perfectly flat and on hard paths so in the summer it is probably a very fast course. What I faced today was torrential rain, sleet and 2 degrees. The paths were muddy and slippery and there were huge puddles everywhere. I got round in 21:33 which was okay. Not great but okay in the circumstances.

Was driving through Congleton about 12ish. The weather was properly rank. Good effort !

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
South Manchester parkrun this morning. Cold, very wet and a muddy course through deep puddles. 22:45 so not fast, but has set me up nicely for a large brunch before heading off to Old Trafford

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds a great weekend too combine a ParkRun with an away match, I'm always a little envious. It's on my bucket list to do a full session of away matches; and I've added "with parkruns"!
And kudos for doing it in such conditions. Very different at Preston park, although I wore a hat and gloves for the first time, i needed my sunglasses too.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Anyone running the Downland Devil Sunday? Weather looks dry for the rest of the week so conditions should be pretty good under foot for this one.

Received an email stating for £5 you get a bacon & sausage roll, a mince pie and unlimited tea's and coffee's in the Farm House Cafe after the race. A great incentive for many I'm sure.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone running the Downland Devil Sunday? Weather looks dry for the rest of the week so conditions should be pretty good under foot for this one.

Received an email stating for £5 you get a bacon & sausage roll, a mince pie and unlimited tea's and coffee's in the Farm House Cafe after the race. A great incentive for many I'm sure.

Interesting.....what time is it ? MTM marathon will be on part of the same route on Sunday......

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Walk. Eat. Sleep. Day 14.
Day 11 put my marathon run efforts into perspective. 4am start from 4,500m. 9.30am reach Thorang Lha pass at 5'416m. Temp minus 12C, but wind chill colder as 50mph head winds. Cup of tea in the hut and a quick 4 hour descent to 4,000m including a break sitting in the sun with boots off in a warm 6C. 12kg pack doing wonders for core muscles.
Mrs Knocky put in a gritty performance and although knockier than me did not burst into tears like many fellow trekkers. Great way to spend a wedding anniversary!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Day 11 put my marathon run efforts into perspective. 4am start from 4,500m. 9.30am reach Thorang Lha pass at 5'416m. Temp minus 12C, but wind chill colder as 50mph head winds. Cup of tea in the hut and a quick 4 hour descent to 4,000m including a break sitting in the sun with boots off in a warm 6C. 12kg pack doing wonders for core muscles.
Mrs Knocky put in a gritty performance and although knockier than me did not burst into tears like many fellow trekkers. Great way to spend a wedding anniversary!

Sounds fantastic. Post some pictures !

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

If it’s any consolation it’s not much warmer than that here in fact I probably felt much the same as you after cycling home from Portslade station last night..

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Not quite sure how to follow that with a report from a flat 5k in Hampshire (Whiteley). It was bloody freezing but that only lasted for me for 21:30. Quite a fast course if few twists and turns. I managed 3rd on Age Grade in a field of 141- not a high standard.
As an aside to @knocky - how many years marriage? Mrs GNT and I clock up 40 next weekend. Poor, poor woman.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Not quite sure how to follow that with a report from a flat 5k in Hampshire (Whiteley). It was bloody freezing but that only lasted for me for 21:30. Quite a fast course if few twists and turns. I managed 3rd on Age Grade in a field of 141- not a high standard.
As an aside to @knocky - how many years marriage? Mrs GNT and I clock up 40 next weekend. Poor, poor woman.

34 years together, 11 married for tax purposes. Lucky, lucky woman.

Day 16. Down to 1,500m altitude. Warm, sunny and hot springs this morning. Next few days final climb up to the Annapurna Base Camp at 4,200m and snow and ice again before descending to Lakeside restaurants and cafes.

I need to get home the Albion aren't doing well without me...

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
As the only NSC representation today at the Downland Devil (I think) I'll give you all a race report.

The start was delayed due to a serious traffic accident which meant an 11am start and my pre-race fueling strategy in disarray! Undeterred we got underway in pretty good conditions and were immediately faced with a hill, a constant theme throughout.

I couldn't really get a rhythm going early as it was so up and down and wearing road shoes wasn't the best idea as this is all I possess. At around 3 miles is the first real brutish hill, not the longest but very steep. Once through there the up and down nature continues until you get to around 6 miles when there is a blissful 2 mile flat stretch taking you to 8 miles and only a mile from home.

As I turned the corner the marshall encouraged by saying only one hill to go. Brilliant, or so I thought. The hill whilst not the steepest was a killer mentally and went on for 2/3 of a mile. This was a real heartbreaker but with runners in close proximity I kept running, using every sinew of mental fortitude to get me up this *******!

Then came a beautiful downhill which was maybe a little too steep with my slippery road shoes but I had a young whipper-snapper in my sights which spurred me on but alas I couldn't catch him.

Complimentary towels and sweets after as I watched other runners come in. My time 1:05:24 and 13th place. Around 10 minutes after my finish a young lady enquired about my shoes. Thinking she would question my road shoes it actually transpired I had picked up two different shoes and put them in my bag. Same make but one was an old Hoka Clifton 3 the other a Clifton 4. Thankfully I didn't put two right footers on or two left as my ten mile+ bike ride to get there would have been a big waste of time.

Great prep for the Mince Pie next week if my hamstrings calm down by then.

In closing, a quality race but very, very tough. The climb is 1100 feet in 9 miles to compare the Mince Pie is around 650 from memory so far more hills to overcome.

Had a bacon and sausage sandwich with a mug of tea then cycled 10 miles back home up the Old Shoreham Road.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Ran the crowborough 10k Sunday, 2 lap course with down hill and flat section punctuated by on very steep 1k climb where many competitors walk a small way. Got a PB time of 46.53 which I was pleased with, not so happy with the 3 stops to tie shoe laces, will definitely be investing in some lockable ones.

Spotted ex albion striker Nicky Forster taking part finishing in 43.07.

Marshalling at mince pie next week, gd luck to nscers taking part

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mouth to Mouth marathon yesterday, tough old run that one with a free extra mile or so at 27.4m. Shoreham Scout hut start, 4 miles or up the Downslink to Botolphs, then South Downs Way all the way to Amberley (about 15 miles) before the fairly tedious 8 miles or so along the grassy path beside the Arun down to Littlehampton. Nothing more than OK for me, ran out of gas a bit after about 20 miles so jog/walked from there and finished in 4.40-odd. Weather was pretty manky on the top of the ridge, particularly around Chanctonbury when we were running into the wind in thick fog. Good organisation as always from the Sussex Trail Events crew, also good to see [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] at the start (not running :whistle:). On the plus side, means I've done all of the STE 'river runs' having missed this one last year, so now have the full set of medals. Nice collection of tin it is too.

Medals.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here