Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

D

Deleted member 2719

keep us posted with your progress. The guys on here are genuinely interested in how fellow NSC runners are doing and have many years of good (and bad) experiences and tips to pass on. Decent running shoes (once you've got the bug) are a must.

Will do, thanks for all the advice.:thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Thanks very much, it's appreciated!

Changing the subject slightly, does anyone know of any good 10 mile races coming up over the next few months? I've already done a few 10k events so I'm not too fussed about doing that distance again right now and I'm signed up to a half marathon in September so I don't really want to take on another until I get through the first one. But a nice 10 mile race would be a very worthwhile addition to my calendar and ensure motivation is upheld as we head towards autumn.

Bright10
http://www.bright10.co.uk

Absolutely superb race. I'll be in Kos unfortunately but I did the first one and it was excellent. Over much the same course as Brighton Half too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Bright10
http://www.bright10.co.uk

Absolutely superb race. I'll be in Kos unfortunately but I did the first one and it was excellent. Over much the same course as Brighton Half too

There is another one two weeks before in Lewes off road I think, which is Sunday 1st October. 2 weeks before Bright 10 so good prep for this.

I ran a Lewes 10k in April and it was superb, I believe it takes on some of the same route.

Hooky

Mar 24, 2008
But a nice 10 mile race would be a very worthwhile addition to my calendar and ensure motivation is upheld as we head towards autumn.

How about The Great South Run? It's in Southsea/Portsmouth & you get to run through the Royal Dockyard passing HMS Victory etc. It may be the week before Bright10 though. October seems a popular month to run 10 miles!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
It's a long list. Good luck to all on it. I'm only on 6.2 miles in 2 weeks but will do it as a training run.
I think it's just me, [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION].

Having slept in it I'm back in. The only risk of actual damage is to my ego so I shall try to get round in 50-ish and see if it leaves me as much of a wheezing mess as Worthing did.

In other words I want beer and peanuts.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Having slept in it I'm back in. The only risk of actual damage is to my ego so I shall try to get round in 50-ish and see if it leaves me as much of a wheezing mess as Worthing did.

Just remember don't start in front of [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]. I'm sticking behind him as my first 5K pacer.
Well done [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]. Great man management. A simple MTFU and he's back in.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] is running and if [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] fancies putting away the yoga mat and running a 10k road race (I know he loves them) then I've got a entry for him.

You might find this hard to believe, but I think I'll have to pass :lol:

In fairness, I can't think beyond tonight and putting the Beat The Tide demons to bed – I'm nervous about it stupidly and I just want to get it over and done with. Even with ditching the yoga, the thought of running ANOTHER 10k the day after – tarmac or not – appeals less than wandering around Selhurst in an Albion top.

Good decision, GB. I reckon you'll be fine. If you feel you're struggling, wind it back a bit and cruise into the finish line. Good luck to the rest of the Phoenix crew, and GWS to absent NSC runners.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Just remember don't start in front of [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION]. I'm sticking behind him as my first 5K pacer.
Well done [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION]. Great man management. A simple MTFU and he's back in.

I was going to stick behind [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] . It could end up like the build up to a sprint in the Tour De France with everyone holding back and circling each other! I am hoping I have more energy than I did on Sunday, fingers crossed. I have done 5 x 10k races this year and done 51.06, 51.53, 51.01, 49.59 & 51.42 so pretty consistent. Will see how I feel on the day.

On the 10 miles races I am doing the Bright 10 (Never done that one) and the GSR which I did last year and loved it. Superb support all the way round.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
😂😂😂😂😂 Usually works.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Looking forward to tomorrow. Think it will just be a take it easy and enjoy (if you can enjoy 10k). Pub afterwards should be good though. See some of you there.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Beat The Tide Demons well and truly banished. Couldn't be more different to last year's race. According to my watch it was sub-48, but I'm less fussed about the time and more the race management, which I managed to get spot on.

Plus I figured out EXACTLY what went wrong last year – went off too quickly tried to power up the stones, panicked because pace had slowed struggling up them, busted a gut to get back on track along the tarmac, blew up and was spent by the half-way turn. This time it was an almost leisurely start, evenly paced splits, a nice recovery back to sub-8 min/mile pace after the stones and pretty much chilled out. Delighted doesn't even cover it.

Anyway, onwards and upwards – good luck to the Phoenix crew tonight. I hope the weather conditions are better than they were for us last night!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Looking forward to tomorrow. Think it will just be a take it easy and enjoy (if you can enjoy 10k). Pub afterwards should be good though. See some of you there.

I'm going to enjoy it as a chatting plodder, could be my last run for 2-4 weeks, going to rest this ****** Achilles for a while.
Maybe see you in the NSC rear Peleton.

Well done [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] for your King Neptune victory.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I was going to stick behind [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] . It could end up like the build up to a sprint in the Tour De France with everyone holding back and circling each other! I am hoping I have more energy than I did on Sunday, fingers crossed. I have done 5 x 10k races this year and done 51.06, 51.53, 51.01, 49.59 & 51.42 so pretty consistent. Will see how I feel on the day.

On the 10 miles races I am doing the Bright 10 (Never done that one) and the GSR which I did last year and loved it. Superb support all the way round.

No overnight reaction from my knee so I will see you chaps around Hove Lawns - maybe meet by the baggage tent? For the last two years there has been a 50 min pacer, a chap in orange shirt and hat who hits each KM exactly on the button. Two years ago he lost me after the power station, last year I beat him by well over three minutes. Today? Somewhere in between with any luck.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just watching a live stream from Ant Bliss (Sussex Sport Photography). Spotted some familiar faces but no NSCers yet. Word is that it's tough coming back because of the wind...

And then some guy just threw up – nice!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think I'm now going to have to take some time off running to get my achilles right, the problem extended to my ankle this evening so I'm going to have to take some time to get it back right again before cracking on. My 18:50 is probably a declaration for the season now. I'm going to concentrate on gym work and getting back in the pool as well.

42:44 was my time, I am disappointed not to challenge my PB but it wasn't on when I turned and felt the wind!

Good sharp pint in the pub (singular for me, going to be a different story for many others!), another NSC runners' tradition alive and well.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just watching a live stream from Ant Bliss (Sussex Sport Photography). Spotted some familiar faces but no NSCers yet. Word is that it's tough coming back because of the wind...

And then some guy just threw up – nice!

Not us. [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] bought the extra round to see us last in the pub but no throwing up.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Paced beautifully by Mr Blobby and GB to get me to 5k on 25". Second 5k about 23" 27'. At the Power station turn had a friendly Spanish guy on my tail. Tried to lose him with little bursts but he stayed. Kept going steady and he was there. Got to 5 miles and thought I had to lose him. Upped the pace and he stayed. Then let him in front with last km hoping to catch him on the run in. Caught up near the end but 20m back. Good 3 mile contest and had a good chat after.
Interesting that time didn't come into it for me in this challenge. It was about winning. The winner wasn't me but he pushed me. Nice to run over 4 miles for the first time in a year.

Few beers in the Brunswick didn't do any harm at all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here