Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sitting in the warm 23C winter sunshine of Kathmandu miles away from the Mince Pie run. Well done combatants. No mention of the pies though. I could do with them. Currently recovering with full breakfasts, tea, coffee, omelettes, yak cheese rolls, cheesecake, chicken curry, rice, nan, beer, red wine, parathas, cocktails, snickers, pizzas, biscuits, brownies, Dahl, vegetable curries, toast, chocolate, cake, crisps. All in random order. Great fun.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Mince Pie this morning was nothing short of brutal. Cross winds that took your legs away, very muddy - fortunately I made a late decision to wear trail shoes- and some parts of the course were just one big puddle causing me to turn an ankle in one and nearly drop out. Managed to run through the pain and finished in around 1:24. I have never run in such tough conditions - far worse than two years ago - it really was pretty unpleasant at times - there were times where the wind was behnd you that you had to slow down because you felt out of control! I guess these are the ones you remember!
[MENTION=12396]Seaford by the sea[/MENTION] - big, big thanks to all the marshals - it was tough enough running it - how some of the marshals lasted on the exposed parts of the course was miraculous. Please pass on my appreciation and sorry did n't see you but there again I couldn't open my eyes on some parts of the course!!!!
Massive kudos to Simgull and Big nuts for your efforts this morning. It was horrendous conditions. I could hardly stand up on the Top of the Tye at the 3 and 7 mile mark. Rain felt like hail smacking into your face, the last runners reached 3 miles in 55 minutes. The leader and course record holder was so far ahead I missed switching my stewarding position in time. The first few miles must have sapped so much energy. For the record, I was the Marshall in a white ski jacket and glasses, hope to meet the rest of NSC in kinder conditions at future events in the new year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ made it round safe which was my only objective with conditions so dreadful and only wearing road shoes.

You definitely needed a sense of humour as there were times the wind was so powerful you could barely travel forward.

I just about managed to stay upright throughout but was reduced to a fast walk on the big downhill section.

Then at Saltdean Football club went through a knee deep puddle x2 which was freezing.

The force of the wind blew you up the hill which was nice and a nice downhill finish with the wind meant I made some time up and finished in 1:10:37 according to my watch which gave me 15th position.

How the winner finished in 58 minutes, god only knows he was almost 7 minutes ahead of 2nd.

Big well done to all of you that ran....I plodded a few hungover miles around Burgess Hill and it was minging.....can only imagine how crappy it was down there !

I bet it was James Baker wot won it.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Yes James Baker. An unbelievable performance.

Amazed I didn't see you today - well done on a great time.

Amazing wasn't it - running down that normally really fast hill to the football ground - the wind was so strong it felt like running uphill. Then conversely having the wind behind us for the big hills in Seaford.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Great running from [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] yesterday. I was hoping to defend my mince pie title but my foot is playing up again and in hindsight I'm very pleased it forced me to sit it out. 1:10 in those conditions is a fantastic achievement.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Just got a call to arms from my old Triathlon rival. A Sprint and Olympic challenge for next year. A refusal to compete will count as a loss. So a heavy winter training bias on cycling and swimming and a 9" mile pace sub 4 hour Brighton Marathon plan.

When we agree venues any other entrants? Come on [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], it will be worth getting up for.......

This happens to be a target for me next year. I've been looking at Bewl http://www.bewltriathlon.co.uk. I'm not the strongest swimmer so trying to avoid the sea and this looks a good established event.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm at a total loss as to what to do with my running. Tweaked my cartilage in January, physio did not work, so went in for operation in July. Surgeon said it was a stage 2-3 tear, said he cleared it up. Have been back to physio since then, but funding was cut so just work out in the gym. Last week as a final resort the consultant injected some fluid into the knee, the fluid is not covered by the NHS so I paid the £300 for a two minute injection procedure to him on a private basis. No sign of any improvement and I'm devastated. Only took up running three years ago, but it has been brilliant for my physical and mental health, and helped me lose 15kg in the process.

No idea what to do next, but in pain every time I walk on an uneven surface, so no chance of even just cutting back to short races.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This happens to be a target for me next year. I've been looking at Bewl http://www.bewltriathlon.co.uk. I'm not the strongest swimmer so trying to avoid the sea and this looks a good established event.

I've done Bewl (many years ago) and it's good. Leeds Castle is also nice if you aren't the strongest swimmer (me too).

Well done Mince Pie folks. Looks like I picked a good year to miss!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Are there any runs happening around Brighton over Christmas? I'm back in Sussex from 16th - 31st December, would be nice to get some proper running in. Although, after hearing about the Mince Pie Run I'm not so sure!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Are there any runs happening around Brighton over Christmas? I'm back in Sussex from 16th - 31st December, would be nice to get some proper running in. Although, after hearing about the Mince Pie Run I'm not so sure!

Think several of the parkruns will be operating. Anyone up for a meet-up ?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm at a total loss as to what to do with my running. Tweaked my cartilage in January, physio did not work, so went in for operation in July. Surgeon said it was a stage 2-3 tear, said he cleared it up. Have been back to physio since then, but funding was cut so just work out in the gym. Last week as a final resort the consultant injected some fluid into the knee, the fluid is not covered by the NHS so I paid the £300 for a two minute injection procedure to him on a private basis. No sign of any improvement and I'm devastated. Only took up running three years ago, but it has been brilliant for my physical and mental health, and helped me lose 15kg in the process.

No idea what to do next, but in pain every time I walk on an uneven surface, so no chance of even just cutting back to short races.

Gutting, sorry to hear about the long term issues El Pres. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] might have some sage advice, but are you able to get into swimming? It's more expensive, but it allows you to keep active and fit - I can't imagine how the people around me would cope if I had to stop running!

Well, Christmas Day is Preston Park and New Years Day is Hove Promenade (9am) and Hove Park (10:30am) - those are the hattrick of specials!

Preston Park on the day itself is going to be a cracker, NSCers gather in a blue Santas hat?! :jester:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Gutting, sorry to hear about the long term issues El Pres. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] might have some sage advice, but are you able to get into swimming? It's more expensive, but it allows you to keep active and fit - I can't imagine how the people around me would cope if I had to stop running!

Well, Christmas Day is Preston Park and New Years Day is Hove Promenade (9am) and Hove Park (10:30am) - those are the hattrick of specials!

Preston Park on the day itself is going to be a cracker, NSCers gather in a blue Santas hat?! :jester:

Away for Christmas (possibly Roundhay Park on 25th) but definitely on the Hove new year double although will need to get going quick as it’s 12:30 ko at the Amex.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

I’ve heard this is a nice event on the 16th https://www.nice-work.org.uk/races/christmas-pudding-dash

If you come to one of the parkruns I’ll wear my blue jays hat in your honour!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Wise to avoid the sea as the swim leg can be cancelled in adverse conditions. I'll put Bewl forward next week and let you know. Standard distance though.
Good luck with foot recovery. I'm getting up to 98% on toes and Achilles and should resume full training from Xmas. Just have to make sure I don't race any Xmas Parkruns after 5 weeks not running...........

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Sorry to hear that. Explains your absence from the Strava table. Terrible luck. Tricky area and you need better advice on how to recover. Maybe go back to GP? Find a sports physio for a second opinion? Not sure even Jesus at Coral's can fix it but may offer advice.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Looks awesome. Rest up and I'm sure you'll come back stronger (again!).

For Christmas running, I might be tempted by Hove Prom on NYD, but won't get away with a Christmas Day run – too much else going on in the Bobkin household for that. The 23rd will more than likely be Hove Park (surprise, surprise) and I'm at Preston Park this weekend for a mate's 100th.

Seem to have found my mojo – went out for a nice 30 mins this morning and really enjoyed it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here