Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thanks! I was at Worthing too so based on your earlier post I'd have been finishing about 40 seconds behind you yesterday without knowing it. I struggle to remember ever seeing better conditions at Worthing in the year or so it's been running. That was the dream for anyone seeking a PB.

I'm running the Bedford HM next month. It sounds a bit of a strange choice but some friends could get me a free place so I went for it, it's obviously not what I would have picked. My main motivation is simply covering that distance competitively for the first time. I'm not really focusing on time, I just want to finish it comfortably enough so that it leaves me wanting to get home and sign up for another one. I'll probably do it in about 1hr 50 based on my current long distance training pace, which obviously isn't great but it gives me something to aim at next time.

Seaford sounds a bit hilly to me, although I've never run there, only golfed. What other good HMs does Sussex offer?

I'm contemplating 13 the Hard Way which is an off road half around Mid-Sussex. I think it starts in Clayton and is on the next BH weekend.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes - Worthing - wind = PB heaven. Loads of 'tourists' are hearing this I think. Other than agreeing with dazzer's commendation of Barns Green I can't point to specific Sussex events but I always think of September as having loads of events. You've probably come across the link below but if not you might find it useful.
I ran a 'half marathon' in training yesterday - my longest run for many a year. I managed 1:58. This is not an end in itself - just the weekly long run for my marathon in November. But Seaford (which I think is basically a flat seafront course of 4 laps) will be a good stepping stone and I hope (like you) around to clock 1:50.
https://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/RaceDiary.asp

I've taken a spread bet on 1:40 to 1:45 but you could go faster. Not sure how much you'll be saving for the marathon A race training.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
42:15 in a 10k flat race. Shot off and led for the first half, then gassed and finished way back. Not happy - I'm a fat, lazy old turd these days.

42:15 is Mel & Kim. 10K is always a tough one to pace, I've been close to tears at 4 miles on some races.

My next 10k is Littlehampton in September which is supposedly a quick course.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
42:15 in a 10k flat race. Shot off and led for the first half, then gassed and finished way back. Not happy - I'm a fat, lazy old turd these days.

Good to run from the front. You put yourself on the line. Even Mo popped up at the front at the weekend to show intent. No one to overtake and everyone gunning for you. Haven't been in the lead since 1975.

Just watched the steeplechase final. Anyone else run that ever? I did it a couple of times at Withdean U-13 and U-14s. Wasn't a front runner but remember jumping in the water. I think the water jump was still there when we played there, to the left of the South Stand behind the goal turnstiles end. We certainly didn't hurdle over the solid wooden barriers for fear of tripping over the top and hitting the cinder track flat out. We landed on top and pushed off.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Is the NSC flashmob at Hove Prom this week ?

That was the plan. I'll be there but Achilles not sure, if it's running. I'm in West Upper for the first time and have heard horror stories about the stairs. :ohmy:. Had 18 days off running. Preparing for it on the off chance with a 14 mile walk Monday, 20 mile bike yesterday and a week off booze (NSC running ban?).
If any unknown faces coming let us know and we can make ourselves seen.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep, as much as it pains me, I'll be down the prom on Saturday. Preparation was decent though – the elusive (for me) eight miles in an hour achieved this morning. Glad to see the pace has come back again...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yep, as much as it pains me, I'll be down the prom on Saturday. Preparation was decent though – the elusive (for me) eight miles in an hour achieved this morning. Glad to see the pace has come back again...

7:30 mile pace X 8. Gulp! Good going. Hope the proximity of the sea slows you down a bit....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Unlikely I'll make the prom, sorry guys. Football training has started for my lad again but if I can get someone else to take him I might be on the Albion Roar breakfast show.

Not done much speed work anyway. Managed a seven mile hobble on a deliberately hilly course on Monday and will go out again for as long and slow as I can fit in around work this week before trying an even longer one on Sunday. Need to start getting my aerobic fitness and weight to back where it was 2 years ago so I can have a decent crack at the marathon.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
7:30 mile pace X 8. Gulp! Good going. Hope the proximity of the sea slows you down a bit....

Um, this was through the airport and then along Lancing and Shoreham Beach :thumbsup: :lol:

I've clearly got my sea legs back. It's the multiple turns that will do for me on Saturday morning...

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Um, this was through the airport and then along Lancing and Shoreham Beach :thumbsup: :lol:

I've clearly got my sea legs back. It's the multiple turns that will do for me on Saturday morning...

Er, 4 turns.......

As for you [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], you're more or less in a different race [emoji23][emoji23]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Er, 4 turns.......

As for you [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION], you're more or less in a different race [emoji23][emoji23]

Exactly! Three more than Worthing, four more than Hove Park and even ONE more (I think) than Preston Park. Give me running round in a circle any day :lol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

I reckon I can beat you on the turns. It's the 4.95km on the straight that I'm worried about.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here