Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Well done - it was certainly getting pretty warm out there by 10am

Forgot to add I was tripped and fell within the first ten metres. Cut to the knee and hand, nothing serious.

I think I was targeted a'la Mo Farah!

Drinking heavily tonight and rest Sunday, maybe a gentle 5 miles Monday. Only 9.6 miles needed for my first ever 100 mile month!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Skipped Folkestone Parkrun this morning. Been walking on the North Downs down to there and Dover last few days. Decided my joints are on the edge of flaring into inflammation, so decided to stick to the walking. THEN these people came out of their tents 8 a.m. this morning and started posturing around in their running tops, shorts and trainers in a holier than though attitude. Sprinting to the toilet block and back sort of bollocks, before heading off to Parkrun. I know it's an inclusive run but this was out of order. it's all about beating people. I could see I could beat everyone of the 40 year olds by a good 5 minutes, after a quick, sly appraisal of their calf muscles. My hands started trembling as my adrenaline kicked in. I couldn't believe my reaction.I was up for the challenge and shaking. Parkrun here I come!

Good news is I resisted the urge and put more coffee in the Bialetti Moka. Stick to the plan. Looked a very good run. Caught the finish. Beautiful course with views over to France.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I was strong at that point but at halfway 6.9 miles it got very tough and felt very hot. Great race but hard to attack unless you've put in some hard hilly miles.

13.8 miles @ 8 minute miles and that's with a few uphill power walks so pleased with that and finished in sixth position I think.

Hamstrings are in complete disarray now!

I can see off road potential. hamstrings permitting. Great effort.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
JUST missed out on top 50 at 13THW, then. What a great event, despite almost getting wiped out by an onrushing [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] in the woods [emoji23][emoji23]

Those guys really do know how to put on an event. I could have pushed a bit more, but the walking is all good practice for Beachy and others. Lovely route, great aid station and beautiful weather for it. Recovery run tomorrow...

Good to see you [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] - big fail in the high five [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
So what is the 13 The Hard Way? It's looking like something I want to do next year!

It's a great run no doubt, but arguably you need to be running 14 miles + and hills preferably to attack. I really enjoyed it, but it was almost too tough to really enjoy. I hate walking but I did on a number of the hills because 13.8 miles was too much for my build up.

It's a maybe/possible for me next year but a really tough distance with 1500 foot climb which is enough to send most over the edge. Beautiful course and good organisation for anyone contemplating an effort in 2018.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's a great run no doubt, but arguably you need to be running 14 miles + and hills preferably to attack. I really enjoyed it, but it was almost too tough to really enjoy. I hate walking but I did on a number of the hills because 13.8 miles was too much for my build up.

It's a maybe/possible for me next year but a really tough distance with 1500 foot climb which is enough to send most over the edge. Beautiful course and good organisation for anyone contemplating an effort in 2018.
Pretty much all that, but as I'm used to walking up hills in trail marathons it was always going to be a different kind of race for me. Walking was unavoidable, I'd say.

I'd certainly recommend it though, Ninja.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Oh yes it was a bit rubbish wasn't it?! To be fair I had done about 15 the fairly hard way by then!
Well done - you looked fresh as a daisy!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Ran Newick 10k today. I try and run this every year but always forget how tough it is. Came home in 49:10 and the foot held up pretty well. Struggled toward the end as done very little running lately and lack of fitness showed. Respect to those that ran yesterday, well hot out there

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

I'll be piling into that in 2018 then, sounds right up my street. I piled into a 10 miler last night and ran over 1k feet elevation. It felt pretty good, but my time up Ditchling Road was actually my third slowest. It was only meant to be a steady run in any case, but even so, it felt quicker.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Some pleasing Christmas news. For once the Downland Devil (3/12) & Mince Pie (10/12) runs will be on separate weeks so my intention is to run both. Mince pie is a personal favourite so it will be interesting to contrast the two races which are both similar in distance and terrain.

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Some pleasing Christmas news. For once the Downland Devil (3/12) & Mince Pie (10/12) runs will be on separate weeks so my intention is to run both. Mince pie is a personal favourite so it will be interesting to contrast the two races which are both similar in distance and terrain.
Entry for the Mince pie is now open, unfortunately as it is a Seaford Strider organised race, I'll be marshalling.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Arundel 10k was tough!! A long long drag up for the first 3 miles and another nasty hill at about 4.5miles.

Finished in 54.26 214/553.

Definitely the toughest 10k I have done, especially as it was a tad warm! However I really enjoyed it, fantastic run through the town, the castle and then the surrounding grounds. I will definitely do this again as I know what to expect next time. It was also nice to get free race photos.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1155599616

On Monday I tried out a new route and got totally lost and ended up in the grounds of Wakehurst place - ooops!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1156395754

Another 12.5 miles managed, so 659/1,000 miles now ticked off for this year.

Next up the flat Litlehampton 10k.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I clocked a new Parkrun PB of 22:05 on Saturday despite not really trying to. Obviously that's good news though as it suggests I'll soon be in the 21s once I turn my attention back to that distance.

My serious training for the half marathon on Saturday concluded tonight with a terrible 18km around Shoreham. I'm hoping it was just down to the fact I ate lunch at 3.45pm and was running by 5pm so felt a bit heavy. But I was really struggling by the end at about 5:35/km. Overall the average was 5:26/km which isn't too far behind my usual 5:15 to 5:20/km training pace for longer runs, but it's never nice to fall off the cliff, especially a few days before my first half marathon. I was going to do a faster 8km or so just to keep my legs moving on Wednesday, but I'm now thinking I might go further to regain some confidence.

Good running. If your half marathon is this Saturday, I would take my foot of the gas now especially if you got knackered yesterday. I wouldn't run over 5 miles before and would run that at slow jogging pace with a couple of half mile intervals at just below expected race pace.The hard work has been done. You'd be better off constantly sipping water for the rest of the week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here