Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
2016 was personally a brilliant year for me.

My biggest aim was under 5 hours for a marathon and gone from 5.14 to 4.41. This year I want under 4.30. Doing Limassol 19th March and Brighton 9th April
Aim number 2 was under 2 hours in a HM, gone from 2.12.34 to 1.58.11. Not set a new target yet, could try for 1.55! Doing Brighton 26th Feb
Aim 3 was under 50 mins for a 10k, dropped from 55.10 to 52.10 in the Phoenix 10k, aim is again under 50 minutes
Did a 10 mile for the first time and wanted under 1 hour 30 and got 1.27.48. Entered the GSR again as got a discount, so that is 22 October 2017

My other aim was to run over 700 miles for 2016, currently at 691. Next year I want to up that to 1,000 miles!

I need targets or get lazy.

Bloody fantastic. Well done.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Is that the Centurion Ridgeway and Thames Path? Good luck.

I'll just think of getting back running. Like to do Hasting's Half for fun. Pencilled in Three Forts with a semi plan of knocking 30" of this year's 5 hours 12".

Will have a crack at sub 43 again at the Phoenix 10k and probably f*** myself up again failing to go sub 20 at 5k.

Looking forward to a couple of NSC relay teams at the Weakest Link Relay. That's something I can win!

Hopefully the Centurion 'Autumn 100' - so yes, the Ridgeway and Thames Path. Logistically simple (4 x 25 mile out and back sections to a single start/finish point), undulating in parts but not stupidly hilly (SDW included 12,000ft of elevation), and in October so not likely to get done in by heat and humidity (unlike SDW in June).

Great to hear you're slowly on the mend. We can trundle round a parkrun together soon.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
2017 hopefully will be aiming for distance (for me anyway as Half Marathon is my previous longest) with an attempt at a first marathon. Looking at the 3 forts.

Then I will be switching to triathlon for both Arundel triathlons and the Dartford Big Swim.

Training plan set out all the way to August. Should have the time for it now I am retired!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
2017 hopefully will be aiming for distance (for me anyway as Half Marathon is my previous longest) with an attempt at a first marathon. Looking at the 3 forts.

Then I will be switching to triathlon for both Arundel triathlons and the Dartford Big Swim.

Training plan set out all the way to August. Should have the time for it now I am retired!

Big respect for choosing Three Forts as your first marathon!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A small step back for me. Decided it would be a good idea to join in at football training again. My knee and Jesus say different. Back a week but with rest should be running again by next Tuesday. I'd kick myself but that would probably also set me back.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
It may already be on this thread...... BUT recommendations for GPS watch/wearables please!!!

Criteria:
Not apple
Under £200
Strava compatible
Suitable for a lady*

*wifes crimbo present :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Bragging rights on the Three Forts as it's a mile over a marathon. That's sort of junior Ultra territory.

I had a leisurely go at it this year. Brilliant event helped by a beautiful, cool sunny Downland day. Walking up some of the long ascents made it relatively easy and time made up by bombing down the descents. I even get to see the Scarlet Pimpernel, Pembury, and Dazzer6666, running down to the Adur whilst I was struggling up to the Dyke 4 miles behind at that stage.Plan to do it next year with a training plan that will enable less walking up the climbs. See you there!

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
It may already be on this thread...... BUT recommendations for GPS watch/wearables please!!!

Criteria:
Not apple
Under £200
Strava compatible
Suitable for a lady*

*wifes crimbo present :)

Garmin 235 or 630.. Come in a varity if colours etc Thinking about upgrading myself my self.. Or the Suunto Ambit range are decent.. But im not sure about the price if those..should be under 200

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Garmin 235 or 630.. Come in a varity if colours etc Thinking about upgrading myself my self.. Or the Suunto Ambit range are decent.. But im not sure about the price if those..should be under 200

I've got a 235 and they are absolutely brilliant. Step counter and heart rate monitor without strap as standard which will allow strava "suffer scores" as well as the more genteel step per day targets. Nice layout and very comfortable. They are, however, quite chunky (given it's for a lady) and you won't get one for under £225.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I've got a 235 and they are absolutely brilliant. Step counter and heart rate monitor without strap as standard which will allow strava "suffer scores" as well as the more genteel step per day targets. Nice layout and very comfortable. They are, however, quite chunky (given it's for a lady) and you won't get one for under £225.

I've just had a quick google and although chunky they appear to come in a wide range of colours, so that should be FINE ;-)

Do you use it as a general activity monitor as well as for running?

aaaand swimming too?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I've just had a quick google and although chunky they appear to come in a wide range of colours, so that should be FINE ;-)

Do you use it as a general activity monitor as well as for running?

aaaand swimming too?

I regularly check my heart rate and daily steps, yes. It is waterproof in shallow water as I kept it on when lake swimming in France in the summer and it was fine. It doesn't measure swims though. Mind you, neither does my wife's fitbit and that claims it should.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I regularly check my heart rate and daily steps, yes. It is waterproof in shallow water as I kept it on when lake swimming in France in the summer and it was fine. It doesn't measure swims though. Mind you, neither does my wife's fitbit and that claims it should.

Ok that's not so great as she wants it for swimming as well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Quick follow-up, someone has put together a swim app for the 235: https://apps.garmin.com/es-ES/apps/f134a024-6ee4-47d3-8aec-3a397e3c9733

The FR235 is excellent - I've had it since launch and it's been on my wrist ever since. My proper watches, such as my Omega, have been shut in a watch box ever since.

It may not be a specific swim watch but it will do the job just fine: http://runreporter.com/running-gear-reviews/forerunner-235-swimming/

Thanks!!!

HANG ON.....aren't you apple crazy?

Do you pair the FR235 with your phone and use it for notifications etc or just for fitness stuff?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here