Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Meanwhile I have reorganised my running plans according to work and the weather. Was going to be doing a short, quick run today, long run Sunday and then possibly having to wait a week until I could get out again. Have moved this to nothing today thanks to conference calls but managed to blag a wfh on Monday, so I will be running 12 or so miles tomorrow morning, refuelling with fermented carbs on Saturday night with the game, resting Sunday and doing a shortish recovery run on Monday.

I have a bit of a dilemma for this weekend's long run. The football kicks off at 3.45pm here, so obviously I'll be in the pub for that. Then I'm going to a friend's birthday party, which will no doubt last in to the early hours. I'm down to do a 32K run in my training plan. Obviously I don't want to do it tomorrow because I'll be an absolute mess by the time I get to the pub. I'm going to struggle to go easy with such an early start and not have to write-off Sunday.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have a bit of a dilemma for this weekend's long run. The football kicks off at 3.45pm here, so obviously I'll be in the pub for that. Then I'm going to a friend's birthday party, which will no doubt last in to the early hours. I'm down to do a 32K run in my training plan. Obviously I don't want to do it tomorrow because I'll be an absolute mess by the time I get to the pub. I'm going to struggle to go easy with such an early start and not have to write-off Sunday.

It can be a real problem with marathon training in all seriousness. I missed my mate's 40th when I was training for Brighton 2016. We had a friend arriving from Florida on Sunday lunchtime and his do was Saturday night. He's the sort of bloke that will loom up with a vodka bottle or a beer bong just as everyone else is heading for a cab and I had a 16 miler to do on the schedule. I did every run I could religiously and there was simply no way I could crawl home in the middle of the night, run 16 miles hanging out my backside on virtually no sleep and then be a good host. He wasn't TOO mad as he'd done White Collar Boxing the year before and not come out with any of us for three months but I still feel bad about it now, and if I had the time over again I'd go to the party, bin off the long run and add a couple of miles or so to my next sets of planned runs.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It can be a real problem with marathon training in all seriousness. I missed my mate's 40th when I was training for Brighton 2016. We had a friend arriving from Florida on Sunday lunchtime and his do was Saturday night. He's the sort of bloke that will loom up with a vodka bottle or a beer bong just as everyone else is heading for a cab and I had a 16 miler to do on the schedule. I did every run I could religiously and there was simply no way I could crawl home in the middle of the night, run 16 miles hanging out my backside on virtually no sleep and then be a good host. He wasn't TOO mad as he'd done White Collar Boxing the year before and not come out with any of us for three months but I still feel bad about it now, and if I had the time over again I'd go to the party, bin off the long run and add a couple of miles or so to my next sets of planned runs.

This is one of the reasons I picked a spring marathon. There's always far fewer distractions in the winter, so I've been very good at sticking to my training schedule. I'm considering pushing the 32K run to next weekend, as that was supposed to be a "rest" week. If I can put in around 20K I think I'll be in good shape, especially after doing 30K last Sunday. I've also started dating someone recently. I'm very thankful she's a runner too and understands that I'm tired all of the time and need to run most days!

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Started running again 3 weeks ago after a 6 month sabbatical.

Cardio was pretty much back to where I was before after 3 or 4 runs.

Now I know I’m wearing the wrong running shoes as I’ve had shin splints since I purchased them 3 weeks ago.

Will get my gait analysed after pay day and purchase a pair that are suitable.

I have however also been getting a bad back whenever I run. Something for a runner of 10 years I’ve never had before. I’ve not overdone it or pushed myself too hard. I’ve come back from running breaks two or three times previously so know how to ease myself back. I’ve got pretty good form, straight back, let the legs do the work etc etc.

Could it be possible that my footwear, unsuitable for my landing style, is causing this?

Anyone else had similar kind of issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Started running again 3 weeks ago after a 6 month sabbatical.

Cardio was pretty much back to where I was before after 3 or 4 runs.

Now I know I’m wearing the wrong running shoes as I’ve had shin splints since I purchased them 3 weeks ago.

Will get my gait analysed after pay day and purchase a pair that are suitable.

I have however also been getting a bad back whenever I run. Something for a runner of 10 years I’ve never had before. I’ve not overdone it or pushed myself too hard. I’ve come back from running breaks two or three times previously so know how to ease myself back. I’ve got pretty good form, straight back, let the legs do the work etc etc.

Could it be possible that my footwear, unsuitable for my landing style, is causing this?

Anyone else had similar kind of issues?

Congrats on your return to running.
The back problem could be the shoes. It's why a number of us have numerous pairs of shoes. Any aches or pains and switch shoes for a couple of runs. Could try running on grass for a while to get less impact. May well not be the shoes so give them time as spares.

The shin splints usually hurt after a return to running. Easy and painful to get rid of. Warm up first. Push the muscle alongside the shinbone from bottom to top as if trying to squeeze something out of the top. A knobbly roller also does the trick but hurts even more. There is a stretch for them but I can't remember it. Try googling.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Congrats on your return to running.
The back problem could be the shoes. It's why a number of us have numerous pairs of shoes. Any aches or pains and switch shoes for a couple of runs. Could try running on grass for a while to get less impact. May well not be the shoes so give them time as spares.

The shin splints usually hurt after a return to running. Easy and painful to get rid of. Warm up first. Push the muscle alongside the shinbone from bottom to top as if trying to squeeze something out of the top. A knobbly roller also does the trick but hurts even more. There is a stretch for them but I can't remember it. Try googling.

Thanks for the tip.

Shin splints are an absolute nightmare. 20 minutes on the treadmill, which would ordinarily be a breeze, turn into an absolute ball ache.

The severity of the pain actually goes down the higher up I ramp the treadmill. No problem at all when I finished off this afternoon with some HIIT training.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
Uh oh. Off the too of my head, so missing a couple......

Hoka Clifton 3 x 3 - two at home, rotated, one at work. Road use
Brooks Racer ST x 2 - one at home, one at work, short road work and treadmill
Hoka ATR - trail - normal conditions
Hoka Rapa Nui - trail - dryish conditions
Inov-8 Rocklite - heavy duty very muddy trail
Inov-8 mudclaws - lighter, shorter distance (mostly) but muddy trail
Brooks GTS - occasional road use
Vivo barefoot neo - occasional light offroad use
Vibram Bekele - occasional light offroad use
Saucony Peregrine x 2 - trail

Sorry, just bouncing the trainer thread.

Has anyone tried the Adidas Boost Uncaged specifically for a marathon? - Any thoughts on them? Other great marathon options? I'm using the Ghost 10 (have previously used an old version of Nike Lunarglide), but saw a decent review on the Boost and could do with an extra pair prior to London next month.

Thanks in advance.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Sorry, just bouncing the trainer thread.

Has anyone tried the Adidas Boost Uncaged specifically for a marathon? - Any thoughts on them? Other great marathon options? I'm using the Ghost 10 (have previously used an old version of Nike Lunarglide), but saw a decent review on the Boost and could do with an extra pair prior to London next month.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think anyone I run with wears Adidas shoes. I'm sure they have some decent pairs, but I must say I've only heard negative things about their shoes.

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
I had a mate fly into town the weekend of one of my long runs for the Boston marathon a few years ago. I ended up binning it and drinking all weekend and regretted it a bit afterwards, but I'm sure missing one long wrong is fine. I wonder if the boozing is worse?

Actually on that topic, I haven't ever been able to kick the booze during marathon traning (other than maybe a few days before tha actual marathon) I also have a crazy urge to get stuck in to as many beers as possible after a long wrong (I think it's the buzz and the pain)

Do people find not drinking helps with recovery or training?
[MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION], I'm envious about the potential running gf! Recently out on a run I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a partner who enjoyed running, maybe even someone to go out for runs with (my missus definetely doesnt fit that bill)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I had a mate fly into town the weekend of one of my long runs for the Boston marathon a few years ago. I ended up binning it and drinking all weekend and regretted it a bit afterwards, but I'm sure missing one long wrong is fine. I wonder if the boozing is worse?

Actually on that topic, I haven't ever been able to kick the booze during marathon traning (other than maybe a few days before tha actual marathon) I also have a crazy urge to get stuck in to as many beers as possible after a long wrong (I think it's the buzz and the pain)

[MENTION=6625]Badger[/MENTION], I'm envious about the potential running gf! Recently out on a run I was thinking about how nice it would be to have a partner who enjoyed running, maybe even someone to go out for runs with (my missus definetely doesnt fit that bill)

I kicked the booze for 3 months beforehand once, was one of the worst runs I’ve had. Everything in moderation.........

......as for your last sentence, I run to escape the Missus [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

My last gf was a runner too. In fact she was doing much longer rans than me at the time, and actually got me running more because of it. It was great, we'd get up late on a Sunday morning and head out for a 15K run before going out for brunch. Sadly it didn't work out but now I almost feel like I have to date someone who runs!

I find drinking makes me far less motivated to go out for runs. I also get far too dehydrated when I do a long run with a hangover, it's really not good for you. I'll probably knock it on the head for a few weeks before the marathon but the odd couple of beers doesn't make much difference.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

My park run PB and my worst park run ever were both done with a massive hangover so with 5ks who knows :shrug:

I can't have much booze before a long run. Most is two or three pints at the football. Tonight I'm sober as I'm planning 12 miles tomorrow morning. I tend to want to have alcohol after and I certainly think an urge for calories and painkillers is part of that. Doing a long run on Sunday is my norm, this week is the exception, so I tend to end up boozing on a Friday night, having a bottle of wine with a roast on Sunday but not having much or any booze on Saturday, unless I'm on a boys weekend / away game in which case running goes out the window.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My 5k PB was after a 60 mile cycle, two ciders and an unneccessarily large pizza! Smashed my time by 30 seconds. :albion: And won a race in Portsmouth, boom.

I am hoping to return to parkrun tomorrow after 2 weeks off, I've not run on the road since last friday due to a groin injury which is now healed, I'm feeling fit and strong after a solid week of training in the gym. I'm intending to put in a solidly paced session tomorrow and then a 2 hour gym session ahead of a longer run on sunday. But we'll see.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Just seen a picture of [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] on Moyleman twitter. I'm learning from his Burgess Hill runners. Number going on the Lycra thigh tomorrow to keep upper body clear for layers. Race number belt going back in the drawer.

https://mobile.twitter.com/the_moyleman?lang=en

Good luck tomorrow mate, hope the weather stays reasonably kind.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
12 miles done this morning. Trying to start runs slower and speed up at the moment as race prep. I actually planned out today's on plotaroute to start off Easterly with hills and finish flat with the wind behind. Worked out pretty well. https://www.strava.com/activities/1456933120. Oh, and a Brighton runner stopped to say good morning and talk and she was young, blonde, slim and in a vest and shorts. Since she was overtaking me and then sped off in to the distance I can only surmise she felt sorry for me and was checking I was ok :lolol:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
12 miles done this morning. Trying to start runs slower and speed up at the moment as race prep. I actually planned out today's on plotaroute to start off Easterly with hills and finish flat with the wind behind. Worked out pretty well. https://www.strava.com/activities/1456933120. Oh, and a Brighton runner stopped to say good morning and talk and she was young, blonde, slim and in a vest and shorts. Since she was overtaking me and then sped off in to the distance I can only surmise she felt sorry for me and was checking I was ok :lolol:

Good to hear the young people are checking in on the elderly in the severe winter weather.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here