Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The average miles covered per game per player is 7. Over 90+5 minutes that makes a very slow 13:30 minutes a mile. :lol::lol::lol:

At school I was out of the football clique and team but could outrun them all at anything over 400m. Over the sprint distances, 100m and 200m, I couldn't get near them.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
I remember noticing Ankergren and El Abd trundling around Hove park a few years ago.. thinking about it now they prob would’ve struggled with any distance.. let alone a semi speedy 5k. Casper ‘sprinting’ up the hove park hill was a joy to behold.. a bit bit Rocky esc��

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Morning all. Still buzzing from a fantastic day out on Saturday – made even better thanks to some miles spent running with (and then trying to keep up with) [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] – the burger was probably a *bit* better than the food from the canteen!

Beachy is a brilliant day out and for the second year in a row the weather was near perfect for marathon running. I finished in 4.42 in the end, which is slower than last year but no less enjoyable. Hats off to all involved in the organisation and on the day support. It's tough as anything at the end, but well worth it and something – IMO – all runners should have a crack at.

Well done to the speed merchants knocking out PBs and quick times – I'm quite jealous of your rise up the chart [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] – I've gone sub-21 once and that was YEARS ago. With Beachy out of the way, I might concentrate on getting the times down again and see if I can get a new PB somewhere along the line. It certainly won't be on the 11th at Preston Park though :lol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Morning all. Still buzzing from a fantastic day out on Saturday – made even better thanks to some miles spent running with (and then trying to keep up with) [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] – the burger was probably a *bit* better than the food from the canteen!

Beachy is a brilliant day out and for the second year in a row the weather was near perfect for marathon running. I finished in 4.42 in the end, which is slower than last year but no less enjoyable. Hats off to all involved in the organisation and on the day support. It's tough as anything at the end, but well worth it and something – IMO – all runners should have a crack at.

Well done to the speed merchants knocking out PBs and quick times – I'm quite jealous of your rise up the chart [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] – I've gone sub-21 once and that was YEARS ago. With Beachy out of the way, I might concentrate on getting the times down again and see if I can get a new PB somewhere along the line. It certainly won't be on the 11th at Preston Park though :lol:

0ad43a3ed9723e1f6763a8f92783d449.jpg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The average miles covered per game per player is 7. Over 90+5 minutes that makes a very slow 13:30 minutes a mile. :lol::lol::lol:

At school I was out of the football clique and team but could outrun them all at anything over 400m. Over the sprint distances, 100m and 200m, I couldn't get near them.

Definitive evidence at last! I respectfully request that further contributions to this debate are unwelcome.:ascarf:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I saw Davy Propper yesterday before the Arena 80 10k and Kayal sometimes watches his son at Little Kickers where my boy goes. I’ll try to remember and get an idea as to the distances they would run pre-season and at what pace.

Calderon was a keen runner outside of the football season but not sure how many others would run.

Article in Runner’s world on a similar theme and one of the comments said the whole of the Southampton squad in the 80’s ran a local 10k road race and not one went sub 40. This was in the days when fitness and nutrition weren’t up to today’s standards but interesting all the same.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head - there's really no reason for them to be good over such long distances but I'm sure that all of them, Bong included, would be able to beat us in sprint distances. It would be pointless for them to train and be able to sustain such a pace over 5/10k because it's not relevant to the sport they're playing. I'm sure some of them would get involved in running after their careers though, I'm thinking specifically of Matt Sparrow - depending on what he's up to now, I'd imagine he would get into running and be very quick over longer distances given the training.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Nice running over the weekend to all, both the NSC speed merchants and the mad people who did the Beachy Head Marathon. I did a long training run as its now just under 7 weeks to my ultra marathon. Slowed my pace slightly and felt OK after the 20 miles, the thought of a further 11 miles was however quite daunting!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1250318423

Now up to 832/1,000 for the year so pretty much on target to achieve that!

Bognor 10 for me on Sunday 5th.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nice running over the weekend to all, both the NSC speed merchants and the mad people who did the Beachy Head Marathon. I did a long training run as its now just under 7 weeks to my ultra marathon. Slowed my pace slightly and felt OK after the 20 miles, the thought of a further 11 miles was however quite daunting!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1250318423

Now up to 832/1,000 for the year so pretty much on target to achieve that!

Bognor 10 for me on Sunday 5th.

Entries open for next year's Beachy – just saying...

The last six miles ARE tough, but if you pace it right from the start, it's not TOO bad. I'm not really sure how I got the time I did this year but definitely ran a lot more in the closing stages than last year.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Mince Pie 10 has now sold out, so I hope you all got your entries in if you were hoping to run.

Downland Devil 9 in Lancing the weekend before if you're looking for an alternative.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Mince Pie 10 has now sold out, so I hope you all got your entries in if you were hoping to run.

Downland Devil 9 in Lancing the weekend before if you're looking for an alternative.

I'm feeling some shin soreness today after the 18:46 and 39:00 5k and 10k runs over the weekend, I think it's likely I'd have missed the Mince Pie. I'm going to nurse myself through the final two weeks and give it everything for the sub 18 effort, and probably take it easy for the rest of the year and go into 2018 ready to hack down the marathon training!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm feeling some shin soreness today after the 18:46 and 39:00 5k and 10k runs over the weekend, I think it's likely I'd have missed the Mince Pie. I'm going to nurse myself through the final two weeks and give it everything for the sub 18 effort, and probably take it easy for the rest of the year and go into 2018 ready to hack down the marathon training!

Most painful use for my hard, knobbly roller getting inside the shinbone from foot to knee. Otherwise use knuckles to fulfil your sadistic and masochistic demands. Definitely good to drop back on running you've been giving it the beans for a long time. Excellent work.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I saw Davy Propper yesterday before the Arena 80 10k and Kayal sometimes watches his son at Little Kickers where my boy goes. I’ll try to remember and get an idea as to the distances they would run pre-season and at what pace.

Calderon was a keen runner outside of the football season but not sure how many others would run.

Article in Runner’s world on a similar theme and one of the comments said the whole of the Southampton squad in the 80’s ran a local 10k road race and not one went sub 40. This was in the days when fitness and nutrition weren’t up to today’s standards but interesting all the same.

When you see PTs shouting about how fit (see: muscular) they are on social media, but then see them clock up a 28-minute 5k...I'd like to look slightly less like Napoleon Dynamite but would always take fitness over strength.

Congrats to everyone for the weekend runs, blummin' brillio

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Anyone venturing out to the Regis 10 on sunday? I may give it a go. And slightly off running topic but when ARE we going to know of any match ko in January being moved? I'm sweating on the Chelsea match as have a race near Rochester in the morning and won't make it for a ko earlier than 15:00 (and that would still be pushing it).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here