Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think the rest definitely helped - there was no residual stiffness in my legs, although I still didn't feel very positive about what I could achieve when I went out so I put a lot of it down to my newly-found psychological resolve, particularly to ignore my legs telling me they're tired just over half way, and once I hit 4 miles at a decent pace, there was no danger of me slackening off. My split times suggest I did, but as the elevation shows, I'm gradually uphill all the way home. If you take the GAP times, I possibly negatively splitted the run overall.

The first Sunday in a month is my half marathon day and, with the improvements I've made to 10k and 10 mile times over the last couple of weeks, I'd be hopeful of getting under 2 hours on the first Sunday of June. I had thought I could run the Worthing 10km and then just keep on going at the finish for another 7 miles, plotting a route to get me home, but I'd have given my all over the first 6 miles, so that wouldn't work well.

When I've got to a decent weight, and I think I've probably gone up this week, I'll consider events, but not before.

Fair enough.

Having hit 87kg earlier this week (down on previous weigh in) I'm having a couple of "don't care" days. A big pile of frittura mista in Marrocos yesterday for lunch and a few Sussex Gold at the cricket last night, pulled pork and wine at an FA Cup bbq today. Then back on the healthy eating and no booze till the race. Probably won't weigh in again until a week on Monday!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair enough.

Having hit 87kg earlier this week (down on previous weigh in) I'm having a couple of "don't care" days. A big pile of frittura mista in Marrocos yesterday for lunch and a few Sussex Gold at the cricket last night, pulled pork and wine at an FA Cup bbq today. Then back on the healthy eating and no booze till the race. Probably won't weigh in again until a week on Monday!

I'm also a bit of a tight-arse - why pay £20-£30 (or whatever it is) to run some of the roads I run every week and can run any time I want?!?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good luck for next Sunday though - I'll be looking out for your time with interest. I also take back what I said a week or so ago, it does look possible to trim 5 minutes off your time in a very short timescale - you should be all set for some PB obliterating.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done [MENTION=16109]Greg[/MENTION]Bobkin for 150 Parkruns today and getting your best time for the year.
I enjoyed a final run in with a bloke I just pipped to the line. Have just seen on the results that he is in the 65-69 group and didn't even come first in his category. There are some competitive pensioners out there!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done [MENTION=16109]Greg[/MENTION]Bobkin for 150 Parkruns today and getting your best time for the year.
I enjoyed a final run in with a bloke I just pipped to the line. Have just seen on the results that he is in the 65-69 group and didn't even come first in his category. There are some competitive pensioners out there!
Thanks. I think the year's PB was only by a second or something, but it all counts. Certainly going in the right direction again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Decided to blast the first mile of my easy 5 this afternoon, which saw me put in my first ever sub-7 minute mile at 6:54. Before today my record was c7:40.

Quite how you speed merchants keep that pace up, or quicker, for the distances you do is beyond me. Very, very impressive!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Decided to blast the first mile of my easy 5 this afternoon, which saw me put in my first ever sub-7 minute mile at 6:54. Before today my record was c7:40.

Quite how you speed merchants keep that pace up, or quicker, for the distances you do is beyond me. Very, very impressive!

Not as impressive as taking that kind of chunk out of it - great stuff

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Toyed with Park Run this morning but wanted to get some miles under my belt so ran 8.1 miles in a Hove to Shoreham loop in 57:55 a few hills to tackle but felt good at the end.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] that's an impressive first mile how did the remaining 4 miles go?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Time for a run I think. The Shoreham Basin loop. Hove Lagoon along the water to the Lock Gates at Lady Bee Marina. Down to the end of Shoreham Harbour Arm and then back along past the power station to Hove Lagoon.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Toyed with Park Run this morning but wanted to get some miles under my belt so ran 8.1 miles in a Hove to Shoreham loop in 57:55 a few hills to tackle but felt good at the end.
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] that's an impressive first mile how did the remaining 4 miles go?

Slowly, but that's what I intended as the filling in the sandwich between my 10km PB on Friday and my 10 mile long run today (which I'm saving for this evening when the forecast is for better weather) to get me over 200km for May.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Time for a run I think. The Shoreham Basin loop. Hove Lagoon along the water to the Lock Gates at Lady Bee Marina. Down to the end of Shoreham Harbour Arm and then back along past the power station to Hove Lagoon.

Good man, it's lovely out there this morning! Wouldn't mind it myself but I'm still struggling with my groin, it was painful walking around last night. Anyone have any tips on groin injuries either strengthening or stretching?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Slowly, but that's what I intended as the filling in the sandwich between my 10km PB on Friday and my 10 mile long run today (which I'm saving for this evening when the forecast is for better weather) to get me over 200km for May.

Great mileage, just be careful not to overdo it. Maybe my body isn't naturally suited to running as once I run past 30 miles in a week or push up to four runs in 7 days my body invariably breaks down which is hugely frustrating.

I've concentrated a lot on core and upper body to replace my 3rd or 4th run for the week and it's made a real positive difference.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
40 minutes easy paced run in the rain with a hangover today. Nothing pleasant about any of it. Roll on next Sunday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Great mileage, just be careful not to overdo it. Maybe my body isn't naturally suited to running as once I run past 30 miles in a week or push up to four runs in 7 days my body invariably breaks down which is hugely frustrating.

I've concentrated a lot on core and upper body to replace my 3rd or 4th run for the week and it's made a real positive difference.

It's been a lazy week, which is why I'm now cramming it all in at the end! I'm determined to get to the 200km mark for the Strava monthly challenge, so I'll do my usual 10m loop this evening but I'm going to take it a lot easier than last Sunday when I took a big chunk off my PB. That will get me to 26.5m for the week, which is down on what I think is my highest, of 35m in a week.

This is what May has looked like for me:

Screen Shot 2015-05-31 at 10.22.06.png

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
It's been a lazy week, which is why I'm now cramming it all in at the end! I'm determined to get to the 200km mark for the Strava monthly challenge, so I'll do my usual 10m loop this evening but I'm going to take it a lot easier than last Sunday when I took a big chunk off my PB. That will get me to 26.5m for the week, which is down on what I think is my highest, of 35m in a week.

This is what May has looked like for me:

View attachment 65728

What app do you use for your runs?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Do you warm up and cool down? Do recovery runs? Do LSD? Running at max stresses the body. I do realise, as well, how annoyinng niggling ijuries are. Good luck.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Do you warm up and cool down? Do recovery runs? Do LSD? Running at max stresses the body. I do realise, as well, how annoyinng niggling ijuries are. Good luck.

Warm up - yes always dynamic
Warm down - yes and for a decent length of time
Recovery runs - never, as I just end up racing at some stage
LSD - never taking it whilst running, but can imagine the crazy golf at Peter Pan's would get pretty intense

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks, was using Nike but this looks better

Strava is pretty good - can also synch automatically with things like garmin connect so you don't need to upload twice.

I've set up an NSC Group - https://www.strava.com/clubs/145815 - first time I have done this so hope it works

2 hours on the Downs yesterday morning - weather was horrendous. Stinging horizontal rain throughout and struggled to stay upright.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here