Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Only one pair of road shoes for me - I'll only have two pairs when I'm breaking in some new ones.

I also have one pair of trail shoes.

The road shoes got a run out tonight for some intervals around my usual 4.8 mile circuit, 5 minutes easy / 10 tempo * 2, got me home in 34 minutes, which I was quite happy about given I spent 10 minutes dawdling!

Back on the Downs on Wednesday I hope.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hills again for me. Basically 43 minutes of pain in exchange for the two minute adrenaline rush of running down Fox Way at full tilt. I've never done it but I imagine it's better than crack.

I only have one pair of running shoes. I started out in an old pair of Nike Airs that I used for the gym MANY years ago but on NSCs advice I got fitted out at Run in Hove for a proper pair. My philosophy then and now was to pay a bit more for a pair that felt really good and will last. The Brooks I ended up with are one of the best things I have ever bought.

Down to 87kg in this morning's weigh in too :)

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
How many pairs of road-running shoes do people have on the go at any one time?

At my current 30-35 miles a week, I know I'll be through my Brooks GTS15s in another couple of months or so, assuming they're good for c500 miles before degradation sets in. I'm guessing I'm quite heavy on them, due to being quite heavy, and as my only pair they don't get much time to recover between runs.

Psychologically, it feels expensive to shell out another £100 so quickly (although they are cheaper online than from my local running shop) but that's obviously really not the case if I have two pairs in rotation.

3 for me:
Two pairs of Karhu, which are my favourite running shoes (I really like the fulcrum soles, which seem to help my gait a lot), and which I alternate on training runs:
Karhu Stable 3 Fulcrum
Karhu Smart2 Fulcrum-Light
I also have a pair of K-Swiss Blade-Light Run, which I use in races.

Plus a pair of New Balance MT610v3 Trail running shoes for trail runs.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dunno if it's of interest but here's a cut of the last two weeks or so from my training plan (first column is estimated mileage, second is actual and there's a weekly total - 71, 38 & 69). Most is driven by effort level (on a scale of 1-5, 1 being easy 5 being flat out) rather than mins per mile

5/2/2015 Sat 13.0 13.2 LONG: 2hrs at top end zone 2 on the downs. Take your race kit out today, all the mandatory gear, but not tomorrow. Eat throughout this session and through tomorrow's race. Very important.
5/3/2015 Sun 27.0 65.0 27.3 71.5 Three Forts Marathon: 50 mile effort (max). No time goal here just enjoy the long run.
5/4/2015 Mon 0.0 Peak (low) Rest
5/5/2015 Tue 7.0 7.4 FARTLEK: 60 mins alternating 7 mins easy with 3 mins hard. The efforts should be at half marathon effort so a way off of flat out.
5/6/2015 Wed 4.5 4.5 Easy 40 mins run or eliptical
5/7/2015 Thu 5.0 6.0 HILLS: 1 mile easy to start. Get to something steep, similar to the climb from the car park at the bottom of Ditchling Beacon up to the top of the downs (treadmill around 8 - 10% will also work for this). Run or power hike 0.5 mile of the climb hard, allowing your effort to get in to threshold, turn and run super easy back down. Repeat for a total distance of 5 miles.
5/8/2015 Fri 3.5 3.3 30 mins easy
5/9/2015 Sat 5.0 4.5 PARK RUN: Race Effort. Make sure you warm up properly and warm down afterwards.
5/10/2015Sun 14.0 39.0 12.5 38.2 LONG: 2hrs30 100 mile effort on the downs
5/11/2015Mon 8.0 Peak 4.0 70 mins easy with 10 x 10 sec pick ups
5/12/2015Tue 0.0 6.5 Rest
5/13/2015Wed 6.0 8.0 DOWNhilling: 10 mins easy w/u, then get to a decent grade long descent, something off of the downs. Hike the climb at a steady effort, don't work too hard, spin at the top and power the downhill as hard as you can, concentrate on working hard, taking it above a relaxed descent effort. Pound your quads. Repeat for a total of 6 miles and take out a 3kg pack with you/ race pack.
5/14/2015Thu 8.0 4.0 70 mins easy on the flat
5/15/2015Fri 3.5 4.1 30 mins easy
5/16/2015Sat 26.0 27.3 Arun River marathon: 50 mile effort in order to sustain tomorrow's session
5/17/2015Sun 15.0 66.5 15.2 69.1 15 miles on the SDW, ideally a section you haven't been to before. 10 miles at race pace with your kit on board - moving in to 5 miles where you begin to work the effort to marathon level on any climbs AND descents. Run the descents hard.

Edit - sorry formatting is horrible....

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Did the Lindfield Cross Country run on Monday, first one for me. Loved it despite the short but nasty steep hills and a field full of bemused cows! So different to road running with styles, gates, bridges, divets, tractor tracks and stinging nettles to avoid!!! Found it really tough but great camaraderie with other runners. Calorie count looks better now I have my correct weight entered into Strava. Last race for me until the Phoenix 10k in July.

Distance 6.9mi
Time 1:10:17
Pace 10:08/mi
Elevation 452ft
Calories1,243

I have 2 pairs of running shoes, ASICS Gel-Cumulous 12 which I did my first 2 marathons in and now wear in the gym, and this year I got a pair of ASICS Gel-Cumulous 16 for my out door runs! Got my first pair from the Sweatshop in Brighton, they did the treadmill run and tests and I have to say I have found them really comfortable and they have done the job. My feet have been in pretty good order following the last 2 marathons so they must be doing there job!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Did the Lindfield Cross Country run on Monday, first one for me. Loved it despite the short but nasty steep hills and a field full of bemused cows! So different to road running with styles, gates, bridges, divets, tractor tracks and stinging nettles to avoid!!! Found it really tough but great camaraderie with other runners. Calorie count looks better now I have my correct weight entered into Strava. Last race for me until the Phoenix 10k in July.

Distance 6.9mi
Time 1:10:17
Pace 10:08/mi
Elevation 452ft
Calories1,243

I have 2 pairs of running shoes, ASICS Gel-Cumulous 12 which I did my first 2 marathons in and now wear in the gym, and this year I got a pair of ASICS Gel-Cumulous 16 for my out door runs! Got my first pair from the Sweatshop in Brighton, they did the treadmill run and tests and I have to say I have found them really comfortable and they have done the job. My feet have been in pretty good order following the last 2 marathons so they must be doing there job!

Good effort....always get good reports about this race (I've never done it). Your calorie burn looks a bit high to me - 100-130 per mile normally based in what I've read (heavier people like me will be at the higher end)

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
A lovely day for a run in the North Downs, spectacular views across the Weald to the South Downs from Newlands Corner and St Martha's Church. I didn't push too hard today after the intervals at the start of the week, but still managed the 5.8 miles and 650 foot of ascent averaging a tad over 8 minutes per mile.

Stopped off for some potatoes on the way home, and got myself one of those Espresso Magnums as a little treat.

:)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Running shoes - I guess, technically I have three pairs – although one pair are on the way out, having done probably too many miles. That leaves a pair of Nikes that I got free after winning parkrun runner of the month ages ago. They are fairly lightweight, so I use them for parkrun and speedwork. The other pair are replacement Asics for the older ones. Very comfortable shoes, purchased from The Jog Shop.

On the running front, I'm persevering with Fartlek - three times in as many weeks is the longest streak I've ever managed – and went out for 40 mins (4.8 miles) this morning. I *think* it's getting easier, although I'm keen to go against what I normally do and not do it first thing in the morning. I rarely feel tired when I run early doors, but I'd like to know what difference interval training would make when I'm properly awake :lol:

I even tried sprinting up some of the hills – well, roads off the USR – Shoreham-by-Sea, too, which is easier said than done. Anyway - 100 miles for the month in the bag. I might celebrate later on in the week by getting on the bike...

Happy running.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
So, as it's summer, does anyone use sunglasses / shield when running? I must admit I've shied away on the basis that I they would only add a false sense of "cool" when really everyone would be thinking "all the gear and no idea".

However, I have started to get either grit or suicidal small bugs in my eyes on the last two runs, Quickly wiped out but I'm not sure if they get worse. I suspect I will be also running the Phoenix 10k in to a setting sun if it's nice.

Essential kit or pointless gear for poseurs?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Often wear sunglasses, mainly for bugs rather than sun. Swallowing loads at the moment! Be careful with sunscreen, stings like hell when it sweats into your eyes (a thin layer of lip balm above the eyebrows works - don't use red lipstick though)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Often wear sunglasses, mainly for bugs rather than sun. Swallowing loads at the moment! Be careful with sunscreen, stings like hell when it sweats into your eyes (a thin layer of lip balm above the eyebrows works - don't use red lipstick though)

Sunscreen is one thing I have got sorted luckily. Before I became blimp like I regularly played ex pat football in Asia in temperatures of over 30 degrees (tournaments were 20 minute games with rolling subs). Yep, lip balm does the trick nicely :thumbsup:

Noted and cheers re the bugs in eyes!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Right, so after a bit of research got myself a pair of Nike Tailwind 12 shades, one of Runners World's top ten picks (mainly liked the fact that every tester said they were a great fit "glued to my face"). I might look cool. I might look a prize cock. But i won't have to deal with the bugs and the squinting. And they are available for £39.99 at the moment from the below link which seems a steal (add a fiver for delivery).

http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/...ycuta25X1hoFeFvmLgtI99Bb5JDj-sapIkRoCEVzw_wcB

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Being myopic I run with or without contact lenses for different weather conditions. If sunny the prescription sunglasses go on. For a race I wear contacts ,especially longer races,as I prefer to squint than think about wiping glasses all the time and wiping sweat off.

As also being in the arse end of Hove I will give you a wave if I spot you in them. Maybe A NSC Poll is needed?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Being myopic I run with or without contact lenses for different weather conditions. If sunny the prescription sunglasses go on. For a race I wear contacts ,especially longer races,as I prefer to squint than think about wiping glasses all the time and wiping sweat off.

As also being in the arse end of Hove I will give you a wave if I spot you in them. Maybe A NSC Poll is needed?

Had laser surgery a few years back to correct short sightedness. Life-changingly brilliant, wish I did it earlier......

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Had laser surgery a few years back to correct short sightedness. Life-changingly brilliant, wish I did it earlier......

Great two things my wife has banned me from talking about running and arthritis.:D

Had ankylosis spondylitis at 30. It's a rheumatoid arthritis. Had it in every joint for three years but mainly the spine. Also various attacks of tendonitis around the body and iritis in the eyes. Iritis is where the iris swells and is extremely painful until you get the steroid drops for it. So no laser surgery allowed for me.
The good news is the arthritis was a 50/50 chance of being for life or gradually fading. It eventually turned out that I had the latter with attacks getting further and further apart. Although genetic it now only comes on with repeated training at aneorobic levels without rest or extreme stress. No bad attack for 5 years (mum going into Hospice)and 5 years before that (london triathlon).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've had a lazy week due to it being half-term with the kids. It's also been unhealthy with regard to food and drink. With just a (hungover) 5-miler run on Monday, I've had my first three consecutive days of rest since March.

But I went out tonight on my regular 10-and-a-bit km loop determined to recreate the 'keep on pushing it' way I ran it last when I took 2 minutes off my 10km PB. The result was taking another 2 minutes off my 10km PB and, most significantly for me, getting under the 50min mark for the first time.

Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 21.54.52.png

I need to run again tomorrow (5 miles) and Sunday (10 miles) to get to my 200km target for May but now I don't care how slow I do both of those!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've had a lazy week due to it being half-term with the kids. It's also been unhealthy with regard to food and drink. With just a (hungover) 5-miler run on Monday, I've had my first three consecutive days of rest since March.

But I went out tonight on my regular 10-and-a-bit km loop determined to recreate the 'keep on pushing it' way I ran it last when I took 2 minutes off my 10km PB. The result was taking another 2 minutes off my 10km PB and, most significantly for me, getting under the 50min mark for the first time.

View attachment 65712

I need to run again tomorrow (5 miles) and Sunday (10 miles) to get to my 200km target for May but now I don't care how slow I do both of those!

Cracking effort !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003

View attachment 65712

Well done, great stuff! Not sure what the experts think but the three days rest may have contributed to that time. I bought a top in Run the other day and had quite a long chat with the guy who works there about the Worthing 10k. He stressed to me the same thing my original training plan did - to have an easy week before the race. It's next Sunday and my plan is for just three runs between now and then, a 40 min Easy tomorrow, a set of three minute intervals on Tuesday and a 20 min recovery run on Thursday with hopefully some cross training at some point today.

It's a shame you don't want to enter races. Not only would you thrash me but with the adrenaline of a race you'd probably clock around 46-47 mins.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Well done, great stuff! Not sure what the experts think but the three days rest may have contributed to that time. I bought a top in Run the other day and had quite a long chat with the guy who works there about the Worthing 10k. He stressed to me the same thing my original training plan did - to have an easy week before the race. It's next Sunday and my plan is for just three runs between now and then, a 40 min Easy tomorrow, a set of three minute intervals on Tuesday and a 20 min recovery run on Thursday with hopefully some cross training at some point today.

It's a shame you don't want to enter races. Not only would you thrash me but with the adrenaline of a race you'd probably clock around 46-47 mins.

I think the rest definitely helped - there was no residual stiffness in my legs, although I still didn't feel very positive about what I could achieve when I went out so I put a lot of it down to my newly-found psychological resolve, particularly to ignore my legs telling me they're tired just over half way, and once I hit 4 miles at a decent pace, there was no danger of me slackening off. My split times suggest I did, but as the elevation shows, I'm gradually uphill all the way home. If you take the GAP times, I possibly negatively splitted the run overall.

The first Sunday in a month is my half marathon day and, with the improvements I've made to 10k and 10 mile times over the last couple of weeks, I'd be hopeful of getting under 2 hours on the first Sunday of June. I had thought I could run the Worthing 10km and then just keep on going at the finish for another 7 miles, plotting a route to get me home, but I'd have given my all over the first 6 miles, so that wouldn't work well.

When I've got to a decent weight, and I think I've probably gone up this week, I'll consider events, but not before.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here