Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Another shit nights sleep meant I got out at 11:30 this morning. I was under strict orders my run and warm down shouldn't exceed an hour!

Decided to use my frustration to positive effect and managed 7.5 miles in 52:45 at an average pace of 6:54 so very pleased with this.

I feel really fat at the moment but my hamstrings are robbing me of pace so having to work really hard throughout.

A long run Tuesday next.

Autocorrect I meant fit not fat! Although a roast, dessert and plenty of red wine I do fill pretty full at present.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another shit nights sleep meant I got out at 11:30 this morning. I was under strict orders my run and warm down shouldn't exceed an hour!

Decided to use my frustration to positive effect and managed 7.5 miles in 52:45 at an average pace of 6:54 so very pleased with this.

I feel really fat at the moment but my hamstrings are robbing me of pace so having to work really hard throughout.

A long run Tuesday next.

Autocorrect I meant fit not fat! Although a roast, dessert and plenty of red wine I do fill pretty full at present.

That one letter gives the whole post an entirely different meaning. You fit Bas***d.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Just in from 6 miles having dodged the rain completely. Didn't feel like I manned up as the weather was quite pleasant but left all the cold weather gear at home and no problem. 5 minutes faster than the last time I ran this route three weeks ago.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
As GB said, I was back on the tarmac for my long run - 12.8 miles to Brighton and back. Maybe it's just me but I didn't think it was THAT bad today - but my legs DID feel like they had done 15 days on the bounce.

On the clothing front, I don't care - if I'm cold I'll add on loads of kit. Hands and feet get freezing cold - hence gloves make a regular appearance - but my legs don't so it's almost always shorts.

Bottom line - I'd rather be comfortable than worry about what I'm wearing...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just in from 6 miles having dodged the rain completely. Didn't feel like I manned up as the weather was quite pleasant but left all the cold weather gear at home and no problem. 5 minutes faster than the last time I ran this route three weeks ago.

Just back in.. Beautiful evening for running: dry, cool (but not cold) and just a whisper of breeze. My only error was choosing a long-sleeved T - short sleeves were the order of the night. Those fools who went out this morning, eh?

Five miles would get me to 20ish for the second week running which feels to be about the limit for my knees right now, so I decided to just take it nice and easy and NOT look at my watch at all, as I'm often lured into going faster than I otherwise intended.

That plan was working until I got to a Strava segment I remembered is en route, where upon I ran quite hard for nearly a mile. From what I can tell, my previous PR for that segment was when I was much lighter, fitter and not nursing an injury so I was surprised to beat it by quite some margin.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Another long run in the rain yesterday. Went out with 6 people from our running club, we went off road as was a bit icy and way too foggy to run safely round our country lanes. 4 where only doing a short run (3 miles), my fellow marathon trainer was still suffering from the ends of a heavy cold did 10 miles, I headed on to do another stretch of the forest way/worth way and clocked up a soggy and muddy 17.2 miles @9.56 a mile.

https://www.strava.com/activities/832671955

socks.jpg

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Another long run in the rain yesterday. Went out with 6 people from our running club, we went off road as was a bit icy and way too foggy to run safely round our country lanes. 4 where only doing a short run (3 miles), my fellow marathon trainer was still suffering from the ends of a heavy cold did 10 miles, I headed on to do another stretch of the forest way/worth way and clocked up a soggy and muddy 17.2 miles @9.56 a mile.

https://www.strava.com/activities/832671955

View attachment 81195

Great running and good to see you're holding your distance since Reykjavik.

I am a great believer in tights or leggings, particularly Uniqlo which are very breathable. However, has no one told you BLUE and GREEN should never be seen. :lol::lol:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
6 easy miles in the rain today - borrowed Mrs Orange's London Marathon marshal jacket to keep me dry, a green Adidas affair, quite comfy.

I'm gradually easing my legs back into the longer runs, and getting them used to the usual frequency of runs and higher mileage per week, should get my first 10-miler of the year in the week after next. I'll maybe look at some speed work in a few weeks time once the weight starts to come off!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Bit quiet on here – I guess a combination of injury, illness and the fact it's pretty baltic outside (for a southern softie like me, at least). Keeping the streak going – today was 7.1 miles around the town – and already up to over 80 miles for the month!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm still nursing my way through it. I did 3 miles on the road yesterday evening. For some reason (stupidity?) I didn't expect it to be cold when I went out but it was -1 by all accounts. My fingers felt it a bit. It wasn't fast at all - I have no pace whatsoever - but it was the first time I felt like I had a bit of fitness coming back again.

Today's plan was for a 'rest day mile' on soft grass/mud later in the day, but it was such a beautiful morning I went out earlier. The grass and mud was frozen solid, and it was so nice to be out, I stretched it out and covered just over 3 miles again. I made one concession to the cold and wore a bobble hat.

My left knee is telling me to ease up a bit so tomorrow will be a slow mile only on something soft.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
6 mile intervals (400/200) including warm up and warm down yesterday followed by 8 miles slow this morning. Due to a bout of insomnia despite being shattered last night think I ran on around 3 hours sleep, nobody around at 5 am in the morning other than students and blokes in high vis jackets.

Just hit the slightly delirious stage of sleep deprivation.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
6 mile intervals (400/200) including warm up and warm down yesterday followed by 8 miles slow this morning. Due to a bout of insomnia despite being shattered last night think I ran on around 3 hours sleep, nobody around at 5 am in the morning other than students and blokes in high vis jackets.

Just hit the slightly delirious stage of sleep deprivation.

Since the new year I've really been struggling with sleep, which is really unlike me.

I've been off the booze since the New Year too and, from experience, I know this can lead to a little bit of unsettled sleep before my body gets over the shock of having to survive without alcohol, but I expected to be over that now and getting quality sleep again.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Since the new year I've really been struggling with sleep, which is really unlike me.

I've been off the booze since the New Year too and, from experience, I know this can lead to a little bit of unsettled sleep before my body gets over the shock of having to survive without alcohol, but I expected to be over that now and getting quality sleep again.

Sleep has always been a struggle for me, think it gets worse when training because I'm anxious or aware that I need to wake up in the morning early to run which and I find difficult to shut off from.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Just back running after about 30 years off! Half marathon in March. Training was decent until the Christmas period - just back to it now and struggling to get going again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here