Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Do the league positions stipulate the teams in the relay in the summer? Might try for PB on 30th, to see if can jump ahead of Greg bobkin or as predictive text suggested Greg Bonking :laugh:

Bonking the Bobkin will be well worth doing. Good luck.

League positions next May will be more suitable for teams though. 4 teams last year. At least 6 this June?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So, Preston Park this morning was decent. My lack of training recently showed through but I strolled round in 19:45 and had a good chat with @The Complete Badger afterwards.

Today was parkrun #37 for the year for me, having run just 14 in the 3 years I've been running beforehand. I've set 5 overall 5km PBs over the course of the year, as well as breaking my 10k, 10 mile and Marathon records throughout the year as well. Technically, I did take over 5 minutes off my HM record in the first of the Brighton Marathon but that really can't count! My efforts and energy now will be on a sub 3 hour marathon around Brighton and Hove in 2018. I'll be racing the Worthing Half with the intention of breaking that PB in the build up - and then when the marathon nonsense is out of the way, it will be time to focus on the Weakest Link relay! The Super Egos will be targeting the title next year!

Here's to another year of running, and post race analysis in this thead!

You certainly had an excellent year. Set targets, set plans, woke up in the morning :lolol: and achieved.

Bewl reservoir Olympic Triathlon 5th August? We can transport you and your bike out there.........

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good to meet Ninja Elephant this morning at Preston Park. I find that course quite difficult as far as Parkruns go. Not physically, but simply because it’s hard to pace. I can’t seem to master a balanced run there. I think the problem is that the downhill start lures you into going off too quick and I seem to end up paying for it in the second and third km. Anyway, I got round in 21:05 which was okay but on a better day I’d like to think I could get closer to 20:30.

Thanks to everybody who contributes to this thread. It’s been really useful to me as I’ve gone from chubby no hoper to semi respectable runner in 2017. The number of running related presents I’ve received today means I’ll have to stick at it a bit longer!

New Year’s Day 2017 was the day I decided to do something to improve my fitness and stepped up from occasional Parkrunner and not much else to regular runner. 2017 has been a good year as this is how I’ve improved between New Year’s Day and today:

5k PB: 26:03 now 20:08
Number of Parkruns: 23 now 69
Longest distance ever run: 12k now 28k
Longest competitive event completed: 10k now HM
Average distance per week: Approx 15k now approx 50k
Weight: 17st 4lb now 12st 11lb

I’m looking forward to 2018 and completing at least one marathon, going sub-20 over 5k and reaching 100 Parkruns.

That’s astounding - many congratulations.

I was on a similar journey before being hit by injury which has rumbled on and on. It’s now over 4 months since I last ran, on holiday in Florida, and my knee still hurts to varying degrees most days.

I’ve not sought professional advice on it as, frankly, I’m shit scared that I am just completely ****ed, as irrational as that may sound.

Very early in the New Year I shall endeavour to find out what is wrong with my knee and see if I can get it fixed. I’ve got a 6 month old Lab puppy that I bought as a running partner. In 6 months or so he’ll be able to start running and I need to be ready for that.

I miss running very much.

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Good to meet Ninja Elephant this morning at Preston Park. I find that course quite difficult as far as Parkruns go. Not physically, but simply because it’s hard to pace. I can’t seem to master a balanced run there. I think the problem is that the downhill start lures you into going off too quick and I seem to end up paying for it in the second and third km. Anyway, I got round in 21:05 which was okay but on a better day I’d like to think I could get closer to 20:30.

Thanks to everybody who contributes to this thread. It’s been really useful to me as I’ve gone from chubby no hoper to semi respectable runner in 2017. The number of running related presents I’ve received today means I’ll have to stick at it a bit longer!

New Year’s Day 2017 was the day I decided to do something to improve my fitness and stepped up from occasional Parkrunner and not much else to regular runner. 2017 has been a good year as this is how I’ve improved between New Year’s Day and today:

I’m looking forward to 2018 and completing at least one marathon, going sub-20 over 5k and reaching 100 Parkruns.

What a great year you have had. When you look at the improvement in times it looks very impressive.
As for 2018 keep going at that pace and you will smash your goals.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Fantastic work !

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
So, Preston Park this morning was decent. My lack of training recently showed through but I strolled round in 19:45 and had a good chat with @The Complete Badger afterwards.

Today was parkrun #37 for the year for me, having run just 14 in the 3 years I've been running beforehand. I've set 5 overall 5km PBs over the course of the year, as well as breaking my 10k, 10 mile and Marathon records throughout the year as well. Technically, I did take over 5 minutes off my HM record in the first of the Brighton Marathon but that really can't count! My efforts and energy now will be on a sub 3 hour marathon around Brighton and Hove in 2018. I'll be racing the Worthing Half with the intention of breaking that PB in the build up - and then when the marathon nonsense is out of the way, it will be time to focus on the Weakest Link relay! The Super Egos will be targeting the title next year!

Great year for yourself and some impressive times throughout the year.

I’ve really enjoyed my running this year and could still hit 1,000 miles but it will be tight.

I’ve set 4 10k pb’s taking my time down from 40:08 to 39:09.

Also a 1 second Pb at Hove Prom was completely unexpected but very welcome.

15 events run this year starting at Worthing HM Feb through to Mince Pie 10 2 weeks ago.

I really enjoyed Weakest Link and also my first Barns Green half, they were two highlights for me.

Well done all the runners on this this forum Who’ve had good years and given great advice.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That’s astounding - many congratulations.

I was on a similar journey before being hit by injury which has rumbled on and on. It’s now over 4 months since I last ran, on holiday in Florida, and my knee still hurts to varying degrees most days.

I’ve not sought professional advice on it as, frankly, I’m shit scared that I am just completely ****ed, as irrational as that may sound.

Very early in the New Year I shall endeavour to find out what is wrong with my knee and see if I can get it fixed. I’ve got a 6 month old Lab puppy that I bought as a running partner. In 6 months or so he’ll be able to start running and I need to be ready for that.

I miss running very much.

It's tough isn't it? I've not run since August. Every time I go out I break down again, either with groin or knee problems. Reading this I may well do as you are and go back to Paul at Corals. I've not bothered for the same reasons.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Brilliant year indeed. Great times. If I lost that much weight I'd be under 6 stone!

A word of caution from me. Your Preston Park effort yesterday was just 48 hours after smashing your pb by 35 seconds at Worthing. No wonder you felt the pace. Even Mo Farah, with Salazaar's assistance, struggled to perform twice within 48 hours.

This year you may need to target certain races and 5k efforts to ensure your body is getting enough recovery time in between. Otherwise you risk being crocked.

I have a general rule of thumb that if I feel like superman I'm over training and need to sit back a bit. Not felt that for a while though.:lolol:

Hope to be chasing your shadow this summer as my pacer to a 5k sb....

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

What a great post. This really highlights the benefits of running and I hope your very proud of your achievements. I'm now going to forgive you for leapfrogging me in the table so late in the year. You'll go sub 20 very soon the way way your going.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
I've had a mixed year with pb's at 5k, half and full marathon before the wheels fell off. The injury I ignored in March finally caught up with me in May and haven't been able to shake it off since. There is improvement and my immediate aim is BM with training starting in Jan but I'd rate my chances at 50/50. After that my focus will switch to Bewl triathlon. I've been wanting to have a go for a while and my Physio advises I run less and swim or ride more so seems like a good time to start especially as I can compete against others on here.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've had a mixed year with pb's at 5k, half and full marathon before the wheels fell off. The injury I ignored in March finally caught up with me in May and haven't been able to shake it off since. There is improvement and my immediate aim is BM with training starting in Jan but I'd rate my chances at 50/50. After that my focus will switch to Bewl triathlon. I've been wanting to have a go for a while and my Physio advises I run less and swim or ride more so seems like a good time to start especially as I can compete against others on here.

Bewl looks impressive. Which are you doing? Standard is my preference but I could do that elsewhere if you are doing the Sprint at Bewl. Will be good fun.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Bewl looks impressive. Which are you doing? Standard is my preference but I could do that elsewhere if you are doing the Sprint at Bewl. Will be good fun.

I'm a shocking swimmer so was thinking I'd go for the sprint but I would prefer the standard. If it goes well I'll up it to standard next time. Looking forward to it

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm a shocking swimmer so was thinking I'd go for the sprint but I would prefer the standard. If it goes well I'll up it to standard next time. Looking forward to it

We've changed our plan to join you in the Sprint. 750m swim, 20k bike and a 5K run. August 5th Bewl reservoir. Any other NSC runners want to tri? @Ninja Elephant ?

We can ease ourselves back in as part of the master plan for in 2019 we want to compete in the 60+ Olympic Male class.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Just entered the Worthing half, so I have a chance of revenge for my 10k defeat in October. Again I can see it being very close and hopefully we both push each other towards pb's.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We've changed our plan to join you in the Sprint. 750m swim, 20k bike and a 5K run. August 5th Bewl reservoir. Any other NSC runners want to tri? @Ninja Elephant ?

We can ease ourselves back in as part of the master plan for in 2019 we want to compete in the 60+ Olympic Male class.

The only thing that puts me off is the cost because £50 for a swim in a lake, a cycle on the road and then a run doesn't feel like value to me and I'm not sure I'm so keen to compete in a triathlon that I'd pay whatever the cost. It's absolutely something to consider, I do want to take on the challenge of a triathlon but I'm not sure about committing to one. I'm sure it'll be mentioned once or twice again before the day and I may end up joining up, we'll see where we are!

Just entered the Worthing half, so I have a chance of revenge for my 10k defeat in October. Again I can see it being very close and hopefully we both push each other towards pb's.

Absolutely - I intend to take on that course for a PB so I'm more than happy to take you on! We need a series of parkruns throughout the year and keep a tally. :thumbsup:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove

What a great year. It’s the inspirational stories like yours that make this such a great thread.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Inspired by the Badger, I've looked up my first 5k times on Runkeeper. First ever 5km just out and back on the seafront was 26:34 in August 2013. Then there was a break until April 2014 in 27:04, starting just after 7am. Then the next recorded 5km was 26:47, starting just after 6am. My first 5km around Hove Park (not the parkrun course, but outside laps) was 26:32. That was May 2014 when I jumped onto Strava and June 2014 is when I was introduced to parkrun at Preston Park and ran 23:37. My first Hove Park parkrun was in 2015, 20:29 absolutely flat out (a certain @Big Nuts ran 19:37 that day, the other Stuart (sorry, I forget the username to go with the man!) ran 19:58, @Greg Bobkin ran 21:35, @Simgull ran 22:11 and @Ben Elton's Brother ran 24:50). I ran it twice in 2016 and now 26 in 2017!

If you go into training log in Strava, you can see all your historic runs, it's superb for context! My biggest week is 61 miles, I started last year with two consecutive 50 mile weeks but I think I ramped too quickly so I'm going to be a bit calmer to start the year!

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here