Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Could one of the pros offer me an opinion on GELS please?

I have never used a gel in my life. I don't even really know what they are (are they liquid or solid??). However beaten up I get on Sunday, I'm not going to take one as a marathon is not the place for experiments. I realise this is stupidly late to be thinking about this, but is there anything I can do to give myself a boost without running the risk of an unwanted reaction to something I'm not used to? Should I invest in a bag of Jelly Babies? If so, when do I eat them?

I wouldn't try out a gel for the first time during a race, they could give you an upset tummy. As one of the people who suffers from that particular issue I found jelly beans a much better alternative.

Even that could cause an issue, fueling is really something that should be trialed before the big day. Sorry that isn't more helpful.

I usually take my first bit of food about 45-50 minutes in, and then every half hour thereafter... and drink at every water station.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yeah, I always get a takeaway coffee for slurping enroute to the start.

This seems to be quite a common thing. I don't really understand it. Coffee makes me need to pee. The last thing I want to consume before a race!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This seems to be quite a common thing. I don't really understand it. Coffee makes me need to pee. The last thing I want to consume before a race!

Makes me want to shit. I avoid it at all costs before a long run and have one when I’m safely at home. I also avoid caffeinated gels for the same reason. Everyone’s different though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Makes me want to shit. I avoid it at all costs before a long run and have one when I’m safely at home. I also avoid caffeinated gels for the same reason. Everyone’s different though.

It's funny how nutrition affects runners in different ways. I've been experimenting with different gels over recent weeks (both caffeinated and non caffeinated) and don't seem to have had negative effects. I have needed to pee in pretty much every long run, so I need to figure that out.

The only big issue I've had is with bread. I've never really stuck to the same type of bread and often switch between different brands, often depending what's on offer. There were a couple of weeks last month when I started having real issues on almost every run. It turns out the wholewheat rye bread I'd started eating did not agree with me. I'm now on white bagels all the way to race day!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Those who did the Weakest Link relay will remember the ringer I got in for the Wooden Spoon team. He owns Kernel Health Food shop near the King Alfred. Last week 2 guys from Southern Water barricaded off a lane of the A259 in front of the shop and started digging down with shovels to a pipe 40' down.
They reached it yesterday morning. At that moment a boss man turned up and told them to fill in the hole and remove the barricades as it's the marathon on Sunday. They have duly filled it in and will be back next week to dig back down to the pipe.................................

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Those who did the Weakest Link relay will remember the ringer I got in for the Wooden Spoon team. He owns Kernel Health Food shop near the King Alfred. Last week 2 guys from Southern Water barricaded off a lane of the A259 in front of the shop and started digging down with shovels to a pipe 40' down.
They reached it yesterday morning. At that moment a boss man turned up and told them to fill in the hole and remove the barricades as it's the marathon on Sunday. They have duly filled it in and will be back next week to dig back down to the pipe.................................

That's tremendous planning :clap2:

I've recently discovered just how much of that kind of stuff race organisers have to deal with. I've been dating a woman who works for a race organising company here. This is what she's currently dealing with on next week's half marathon course in Montreal:

IMG-20180408-WA0002.jpg

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

I drove past that the other day and thought it was a little close to marathon day to be doing that kind of work!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone old enough will be following Wendy O. from the Plasmatics advice on avoiding nipple rub. Perfect weather for it.

wendy o.jpg

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Have the benefit of a Withdean Park start so planning to get there at 9:15 ish.

8:30 sounds too early you'll freeze (bring a disposable jumper).

Don't make the mistake I did and not realise that there were urinals and waste loads of time queuing up for a portaloo just for a wee!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
You have to be aiming for sub 3.15 and also finished a race in an equivalent time within last two years. I qualified because I ran a hm in less than 1h28 but you'd need to check.

You have to apply in advance.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I have just been to the village to collect my race number and have a coffee with [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] (well, ok, he had coffee and I had a massive **** off burrito). They had not processed the transfer to 10K on the system so there was a bit of faffing about before I was directed to a set of laptops who did the business. In the interim there was actually nothing to stop me collecting a marathon number, and the thought did occur for about five seconds before I realised I'd die on my backside at 13 miles or less. Instead I settled for entering the full thing next year. See you on the beach.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm proud to start with the mass mob! I've been given the greatest running number of my life so far, 14007. :thumbsup:

My hip is a mess, my back is aching and my bowels need some regular attention. It's definitely the friday before a marathon!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
That is a great number. I bought a place off my (injured) friend so my name won't appear on the results at all, which is either slightly disappointing if I do well or absolutely brilliant if I crash and burn.

What the hell is it with injuries this week? I've never been injured, not a single strain or pull since I started running almost two years ago. This week I've got issues of varying degrees with my toe, thigh, hip and shoulder. Why does the body play these ridiculous games? I know I can't be injured, I haven't done a proper run for almost two weeks!

Classic maranoia. They were even discussing it on the microphone presentation at the village at lunchtime that I was listening to over my burrito. I rolled my calves this morning and have some kind of weird toe pain, and the thought that I might have a cold coming. I've run five miles in the last seven days but could still do a 10k running backwards. Absolute madness.

It'll all go in the morning of the race. Even if you don't sleep well the sleep you've banked in the week will be plenty as there will be adrenaline flying through your body. The trick is to control your pace under its influence, something I failed at.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
In the village just after 11. Most the Hove Parkrun organisers stewarding and a very pleasant young man giving out the race pack. Thanks [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] !
Bike left above the Concorde 2 (for a quick exit by the back door of the Village on Sunday). Then a little jog home, which nearly killed me at 10" mile jog pace. Plan B will be that pace Sunday. I'm running the lot this year at whatever pace.......

Starting to dream of the 8 week 10K training plan I'm about to start for Worthing. After a few well deserved beers, of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here