Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
6 miles this morning including what Strava indicates us my best ever 1k at 4 minutes and 7 seconds :laugh:

I have a broad strategy for trying to get a 3.20 marathon this year and a sub 3.05 next year, not sure if that's possible but I'm getting faster bit by bit. If I can manage 3.20 this year plan is to use the summer for speed training and improving overall levels of fitness by hitting the swimming pool hard again.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I'm on day six of annual man flu. Its not anything like what you have as managed to keep working but full of snot and zero energy levels have stopped all running.

I don't think 2 or 3 weeks out will do you any great harm. Real flu can take weeks to fully recover from so the key will be to take it very easy initially. Id be tempted to treat it the same way as coming back from an injury.

That's my fear. Prior to flu I was away on holiday so haven't done any serious running since late November so almost back to basics for me.

On the plus side with the flu I've lost 10lbs - partly the motivation for the running - so am hoping to keep that off and improve my times.

It's more the boredom of being sick I want to alleviate as much as anything. You always think an unexpected amount of time off work is going to be great but pretty much expunged my list of 'must watch' items in the first four days.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
6 miles this morning including what Strava indicates us my best ever 1k at 4 minutes and 7 seconds :laugh:

I have a broad strategy for trying to get a 3.20 marathon this year and a sub 3.05 next year, not sure if that's possible but I'm getting faster bit by bit. If I can manage 3.20 this year plan is to use the summer for speed training and improving overall levels of fitness by hitting the swimming pool hard again.

Well at least you seem to be pretty good at the moment. You could be carrying the NSC running flag for all the crocks!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I cycled to Rottingdean on the top path today. It made me realise how unfit I am. Zilch stamina and zilch power for the slightest of hill. A short introductory 12 mile return. First time with the shoes clipped in for 4 years. Had to keep repeating "feet are clipped in, feet are clipped in..........." Too easy to brake to a halt and forget that. Great sunshine out there this morning and will keep at it whilst I build the running mileage up slowly.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
I dare try reading all 901 pages - someone fill me in on this...

Beginner runner so all tips would be grateful - 5k time dropped from 37 to just under 30 since Nov 30th.

:)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Beginner runner so all tips would be grateful - 5k time dropped from 37 to just under 30 since Nov 30th.

Very much depends on what you're aiming for.......advice for getting a faster 5k will be very different than training for a marathon for example......great progress in a short time so far though!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Great time reduction! You're obviously doing ok. Could be worth having an objective time or race to work towards with a training plan but enjoyment is the main thing. Do a Parkrun, if you're not already. Ask anything you want to know, we'll give you loads of different answers and you can choose the one that appeals to you most.
Carry on enjoying it and remember rest and recovery.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
Great time reduction! You're obviously doing ok. Could be worth having an objective time or race to work towards with a training plan but enjoyment is the main thing. Do a Parkrun, if you're not already. Ask anything you want to know, we'll give you loads of different answers and you can choose the one that appeals to you most.
Carry on enjoying it and remember rest and recovery.

I've done 1 so far (Hove Prom). Was good - although i struggle when running in a pack to pace myself, so I found i had to walk part of it, as i went out too fast. I guess a good time to aim for is 27 minutes for now - although I probably want to take it slowly and not try and knock that off in a two week period.

I try and give myself a day off inbetween runs, although I struggle to find the time to sometimes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well I guess aim to get 5k time faster and also ability to run 10k
Cool - can work on those at the same time.......😀

If you can run 3-4 times a week, initially would do something like :

-One interval session - multiple repeats at a hard pace (faster than your 5k pace, anything from 400m to 2km - or go by time not distance if easier for you, anything from 90s to 10 mins) with slow-moving/walk recoveries the same time duration as the intervals

-One tempo run. Slower than your 5k pace but not too much. Aim for 5-6k now but aim to lengthen this

-One longer run. A minute per km slower than your 5k pace, aim to increase distance every week up to 10k (you could add 2km a week safely)

-An easy run, 30 mins or so, slowly (should be able to chat at the same time)

Given your current rate of improvement you'll quickly find you want to do more I reckon 👍

Oh, and join a club.....highly recommended

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've done 1 so far (Hove Prom). Was good - although i struggle when running in a pack to pace myself, so I found i had to walk part of it, as i went out too fast. I guess a good time to aim for is 27 minutes for now - although I probably want to take it slowly and not try and knock that off in a two week period.

I try and give myself a day off inbetween runs, although I struggle to find the time to sometimes.

I saw from you're Twitter link you're young compared to most of the runners on here, so you're recovery should be quick. Follow Dazzer's Plan if you have time. The only way to pace yourself is through experience. Try thinking that you want to run the last 500m with some power, that will help you pace wise.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
And join a gym and work in core and leg strength both to increase speed and reduce injuries- ask a fitness instructor for a tailored programme for running. And do park run of course - Hove Park is way nicer than the prom and you'll usually find a few of us there.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
And join a gym and work in core and leg strength both to increase speed and reduce injuries- ask a fitness instructor for a tailored programme for running. And do park run of course - Hove Park is way nicer than the prom and you'll usually find a few of us there.

I'm lucky enough to have a weights bench, rowing machine, cycling machine and treadmill at home - so no need to join a gym. Working on losing extra weight and toning up - but feels like that's taking forever!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
As one of the walking wounded right now (hamstrings - not tragic but annoying) it would be interesting to get an update/audit on who is crocked right now and who is anywhere near top form. My impression is that half the class is unfit for their games lesson.

Still recovering from sprained ankle and subsequent calf strain (other leg but surely as a result of over compensating). Feeling much better after a few days off and may have to get out there and give it a go tomorrow.
First gym session of the year yesterday - hurts today!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I cycled to Rottingdean on the top path today. It made me realise how unfit I am. Zilch stamina and zilch power for the slightest of hill. A short introductory 12 mile return. First time with the shoes clipped in for 4 years. Had to keep repeating "feet are clipped in, feet are clipped in..........." Too easy to brake to a halt and forget that. Great sunshine out there this morning and will keep at it whilst I build the running mileage up slowly.

There are few things that indicate a painful loss of fitness better than a bike ride up a hill!

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patreon
Jan 19, 2010
My body prefers to run in the late afternoon, and I've just put 6 mile into my legs in a whisker under 48 minutes. The ankle braces I've just started using aren't proving a hindrance, although my brain is sending strong 'take extra care' signals to my feet at certain points on a route.

Overtaking a cyclist going up Preston Drove was a bonus!

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Almost 8 months out with IT Band problems and just managed a few slow plods to see where I am pre Brighton Half! So far so good but seriously having to feel my way back! It feels good to be running again!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Woo-hoo! My scales have just informed me that I am 11 stone 13 and a half pounds, that is the first time I've been under 12 stone in weeks! It may be only a cup of tea and a biscuit away from being back over 12 stone again, but it is a little victory in the right direction and I'm taking it... along with having run the same route I ran Monday slightly quicker today, and without getting a stitch!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Managed 4 miles today. First run in a week after lingering head cold. April only 11 weeks away, time to start the marathon training

Looking forward to the NSC BMarathon Challenge myself. Not participating myself and would be nowhere near 3:30 even if I was, so I'll set you two up against each other for starters. Not sure who to put the money on as both on an upward graph.

Any other NSC Runners going for sub 3:30?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here